OT: Rick Barnes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Rick Barnes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Barnes tries hard, but he doesn't quite crack my top three awful coaches.

1) Dave Rice
2) Steve Lavin
3) Leonard Hamilton
4) Rick Barnes
Lavin gets a pass for me, but only because of his wife. As pointed out elsewhere in this thread, Gottfried is not only on the list, I think he challenges for the top spot.

Reaction Score
Bilas just praised the crap out of Barnes on Mike and Mike. Said he's doing a great job.

Reaction Score
It seems the connection between the bad coaches is that they all can really recruit...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It seems the connection between the bad coaches is that they all can really recruit...

The bad coaches that can't recruit are coaching high school.

Reaction Score
This is great, was having an in depth 'other coaches' discussion with my uconn crew last week.

what are everyone's thoughts on these guys: Bill Self, Roy Williams, Billy Donovan

I think that Self and Williams are pretty bad coaches who everyone gives credit to. To me, both of them have only seen success when their team is fully stacked to the lid with talent. maybe Roy's early years were a bit better, but at UNC he really only seems to produce if the team is so talented that they have to try to lose. Self has also always had a ton of talent when he does well.

I think Billy D is a good coach, maybe not amazing, but certainly better than the avg

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Barnes tries hard, but he doesn't quite crack my top three awful coaches.

1) Dave Rice
2) Steve Lavin
3) Leonard Hamilton
4) Rick Barnes

In real time, I watched UConn lose close games to Barnes once and Pastner twice this year. That's enough to keep me otherwise out of this thread

Reaction Score
I know this thread touched on Davis, but if Barnes is fired, does Kerwin Roach Jr. become available? Fifth best PG in the class according to ESPN. With that said, Davis or Roach would likely solve our secondary ball handling issue we have for next season.

#FireBarnes2k15

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Bilas' take is often seen as infallible. He has been saying some dumb sh__ recently, that's for sure.

He talks out of his ass more often than not - he likes the sound of his voice and people like him because he's basically non-critical of their teams, but he's not a particularly deep-thinker.

Reaction Score
Bilas is really good at analyzing basketball and Jeezy lyrics.

He's awful when he's asked to analyze anything else.

Reaction Score
Bilas is always very tough on the ACC, particularly Duke, which really endears him to a lot of fans.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I love Bilas. He's said a lot of good things about us, and he follows no one on Twitter which makes him cool. He's also really approachable and willing to talk to people if you meet him. Super nice guy.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Texas is about to announce a new arena, right along the river in downtown Austin. Gonna be insane.

Reaction Score
Bilas is really good at analyzing basketball and Jeezy lyrics.

He's awful when he's asked to analyze anything else.

As a lawyer he argued a Fourth Circuit case on laches in the copyright context that gets cited pretty frequently, so your post is not entirely true.

Reaction Score
Has there ever been a coach who has done less w/ more than Rick Barnes? Every year his team is loaded and every year they do nothing.
He's a heck of a recruiter but a horrible Xs and Os coach. As for developing talent, I'm not sure he's very good at that either, but I haven't looked that closely at what players improved under his watch.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a lawyer he argued a Fourth Circuit case on laches in the copyright context that gets cited pretty frequently, so your post is not entirely true.

Nobody knows what you're talking about, you idiot.

Reaction Score
Granted, Jim Calhouns are a rare breed, but you don't even need a JC at UT.

You just need an above average coach and they could easily become a good to great program.

I think they're closer to OSU and Florida, rather than Alabama, as a program that can be elite in both sports.
From what I remember the size of the court and the height of the baskets are the same. I don't think it matters if the fanbase is more avid about football than basketball. Plus I don't think their hoops fan base is all that bad. Bring in as good a recruiter and a better developer of talent and in game coach, and Texas can be a program to reckon with.

Reaction Score
Nobody knows what you're talking about, you idiot.
Bilas has a law degree. He was trying to be cheeky. Why do so many have to be dicks on the boneyard now. People seem to just insult each other constantly, not like the old yard.

Reaction Score
If he got dismissed, would he go to another P5 school or is he now on the elevator going down?

Reaction Score
Bilas has a law degree. He was trying to be cheeky. Why do so many have to be dicks on the boneyard now. People seem to just insult each other constantly, not like the old yard.
Go Fk urself u dick :D

No but seriously u r right. I remember the good old days

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He's a heck of a recruiter but a horrible Xs and Os coach. As for developing talent, I'm not sure he's very good at that either, but I haven't looked that closely at what players improved under his watch.

I don't think Barnes was as bad an X's and O's coach so much as a bad program CEO. He is one of those guys that "over coaches", calling a play on almost every possession and not just letting his players play. The best coaches know when they need to manage things, and when they need to get out of the way. Barnes never got out of the way. That is how a coach that had Dicky Simpkins, Michael Smith and Eric Williams on the same Providence team basically does nothing with them, and a coach that has had Kevin Durant and Lamarcus Aldridge has only made 2 final 8's in 12 years.

I do agree with you on talent development. Barnes has had a lot of good players come through that program that didn't seem to get to the next level.

Barnes is in many ways the anti-Boeheim. Boeheim does a great job teaching his zone, and is decent at skill development, but he doesn't need to be there on game day because he doesn't do much more coaching of Syracuse during games than I do sitting in my living room. But when Boeheim gets a Laurence Moten or Carmelo Anthony, he is smart enough to get out of the way.

Reaction Score

Guess that one missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky