OT - Revisiting Old Albums | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT - Revisiting Old Albums

Curiouser
Reaction Score
if you're an old CT. boy ya gotta have some of the Tucker boys- Searching for a Rainbow,
Whenever the music conversation veers to Best Song, "Can't You See" is always in the mix for top honors for me.

Reaction Score
I've built up quite a classic rock vinyl collection for $0.50 to $4.00 a record by going here in Wethersfield.

Integrity 'n Music
http://www.integritynmusic.com/

It is no frills but Ed picks up some great used collections with many treasures waiting to be found there.
The best selection is usually Tuesdays, whenever Ed makes a major purchase. Get on his mailing list to receive Monday PM email describing the next days sale. Arrive behind the building by 10:30AM . Bring your sharp elbows.

He's helped me build a collection of 3,000 LPs, including a lot of obscure Jazz artists.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Thanks Wes.
I'm on the mailing list and will occasionally pop in on the way home from work a few days or so after these announcements.
I still walk out with a few treasures
Plus I'm usually at work on Tuesday mornings plus not in the mood to tussle with hardcore record collectors.

Ed is cool.
I go to N.O. Jazzfest every year too so we have that in common.
Although his agenda down there is much different then mine. I like the jambands and main artists.
But not going this year. Heading to Chicago in June to see Phish play two nights at Wrigley Field.
That's my band of choice.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The best selection is usually Tuesdays, whenever Ed makes a major purchase. Get on his mailing list to receive Monday PM email describing the next days sale. Arrive behind the building by 10:30AM . Bring your sharp elbows.

He's helped me build a collection of 3,000 LPs, including a lot of obscure Jazz artists.
Very comforting to hear that Ed and Integrity are still doing it. Mid-70's, late 80's, and present day. I still have a fair, generous, hand-written appraisal for hundreds of jazz records I donated to my secondary school in 1989.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I like Ryan Adams a lot, and he was great when I saw him in concert. Seriously messed up in the head, but really good. I actually like his recent cover of Taylor Swift's 1984, and I don't like her at all
I like both versions of 1989. Moreover, it was the first Taylor Swift I'd ever listened to, and going backward into her catalog, I consider her a certified guilty pleasure.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Some slightly lesser known great albums -

"Hollywood Dreams" - Thunderclap Newman
"Sailin Shoes" & "Dixie Chicken" - Little Feet
"Howlin Wind" - Graham Parker
"Brave New World" - Steve Miller Band
"The Natch'l Blues" - Taj Mahal
"Better Days" - Paul Butterfield
"Lola" - The Kinks
"Then Play On" and "Kiln House" - Fleetwood Mac (the original band)
"Live with the Edmonton Orchestra" - Procol Harum
"Cloud Control" - Sister Monk (modern group)
Sticking to OP's request, this is a pretty good list of 'albums of a certain age, Including the appended "Elephant Mountain."

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Going towards newer bands that play with an older style music, the Alabama Shakes play some great music and mix and match styles very well.

Reaction Score
Sticking to OP's request, this is a pretty good list of 'albums of a certain age, Including the appended "Elephant Mountain."
Thanks for the appreciation. As for the rest of the posters - "Pearls Before Swine"

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I like Ryan Adams a lot, and he was great when I saw him in concert. Seriously messed up in the head, but really good. I actually like his recent cover of Taylor Swift's 1984, and I don't like her at all.

I like both versions of 1989. Moreover, it was the first Taylor Swift I'd ever listened to, and going backward into her catalog, I consider her a certified guilty pleasure.
Thanks for the correction. Just caught that. Must have had Orwell on the mind instead of Swift.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Speaking of concerts, if you're a Zappa fan, his son Dweezil is a hell of a guitarist and his band Zappa plays Zappa is a must see. I live in the Chicago area and I just saw Neko Case the other night and she has an awesome voice. Looking forward to Alabama Shakes and Pearl Jam this summer. And I said last summer after the supposed final shows that the Dead was dead to me but I'm going to see them too this summer. They added John Mayer and subtracted Phil Lesh ( the man truly can't sing) and that works for me.

Reaction Score
Whenever the music conversation veers to Best Song, "Can't You See" is always in the mix for top honors for me.

Absolutely. I have always loved the live version at the end of MTB's "Searchin' for a Rainbow" LP.

My first concert ever back in the 70's was Orleans/Marshall Tucker at the Springfield CC.

I saw Toy Caldwell on his solo tours a bunch of times in the early 90's....Bourbon St. in Hartford, Andy's Rock Cafe in Terryville, some little place called the Rusty Nail in Southington.

His show in Terryville was kind of sad really, the '90 World series was on (Reds/A's) and there were more people at the bar watching the game than watching Toy. We stood a few feet in front of him. I still remember his ornery comments..."I may not have sung all these songs, but I wrote every damn one of 'em and tonight, I'm going to do them any way I please..." :)

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
1983's Mommy's Little Monster by Social Distortion is still my favorite album of all time.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not at all in line with the OP, but since it has evolved (or devolved, depending...) into a discussion of favorite old albums, I heard the Guess Who's "Laughing" during lunch today and it inspired me to spin another one that I wore thin on my turntable in college:

71kKETiY2wL._SX522_.jpg

1. "These Eyes" (Burton Cummings, Randy Bachman) - 3:43
  2. "Laughing" (Cummings, Bachman) - 2:44
  3. "Undun" (Bachman) - 3:25
  4. "No Time" (Cummings, Bachman) - 3:45
  5. "American Woman" (Cummings, Bachman, Garry Peterson, Jim Kale) - 3:50
  6. "No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature" (Cummings, Bachman) - 4:52
  7. "Hand Me Down World" (Kurt Winter) - 3:26
  8. "Bus Rider" (Winter) - 2:56
  9. "Share the Land" (Cummings) - 3:53
  10. "Do You Miss Me Darlin'" (Cummings, Winter) - 3:55
  11. "Hang on to Your Life" (Cummings, Winter) - 4:08

Reaction Score
MC5 -' Kick out the Jams (muthaf*rs)', well second song actually. Guitarists Wayne Kramer, and Freddie Smith (Patti's hubby). Loved the period when they had the Sunn amps covered with the US flag.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Absolutely. I have always loved the live version at the end of MTB's "Searchin' for a Rainbow" LP.

My first concert ever back in the 70's was Orleans/Marshall Tucker at the Springfield CC.

I saw Toy Caldwell on his solo tours a bunch of times in the early 90's....Bourbon St. in Hartford, Andy's Rock Cafe in Terryville, some little place called the Rusty Nail in Southington.

His show in Terryville was kind of sad really, the '90 World series was on (Reds/A's) and there were more people at the bar watching the game than watching Toy. We stood a few feet in front of him. I still remember his ornery comments..."I may not have sung all these songs, but I wrote every damn one of 'em and tonight, I'm going to do them any way I please..." :)
Very funny. Although I was too young for my parents to let me attend, my first concert memory is being in the car to pick up some of my brothers from Marshall Tucker and the Outlaws at Pinecrest in Shelton. Late 70's I think. That's a double bill I would have loved to see.

My first actual concert was only a couple years later, J. Geils Band's Freeze Frame tour at the New Haven Coliseum. Been a concert junkie ever since.

I saw what was being billed as the Marshall Tucker Band in Fort Collins, CO in 1990 0r '91. I don't think Toy was in the band, and iirc the singer said he was a cousin of one of the original members. I remember he had terrible dentures, because my friend and I talked with him during the break and she couldn't stop laughing at the absurdity of it all. I don't know who the original members were, if any. I do remember a lot of laughs with my friend.

Reaction Score
First concert at 14:

Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company @ Yale Bowl

Warm-up act was Gordon Lightfoot
Remember sneaking into a lot of the bowl concerts including Led Zeppelin and getting tear gassed at the GD show there

Reaction Score
First concert at 14:

Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company @ Yale Bowl

Warm-up act was Gordon Lightfoot

First concert '76 @ 16 years old with Gary Wright warming up for Peter Frampton at Colt Park. :confused:

Reaction Score
First concert: Huey Lewis and the News at HCC. Approximately 1982?
Second concert: Van Halen on their 1984 tour. Much cooler.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
first show-Foghat w/ Richie Blackmore's Rainbow May 29,1978 Springfield civic center. First Tucker show July15,1979 w/Atlanta Rhythm Section also at SCC. "gonna work a week, make a hundred dollars, and hit the road again".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom