OT - Revisiting Old Albums | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT - Revisiting Old Albums

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If you're looking for a good live album, try "Band of Gypsies" from Jimi Hendrix. It's from after he left the "Jimi Hendrix Experience" and is a little more bluesy than his earlier work. Worth it for "Machine Gun" alone; this is probably my all-time favorite guitar solo.

Reaction Score
Low Spark of High Heeled Boys = Classic

Saw Winwood with the ABB at the Meadows in 2013....amazing set for a "warm up act". LOL

Steve Winwood – Comcast Theatre Hartford: 8-24-13:
1.Rainmaker
2.I'm a Man (Spencer Davis Group song)
3.Can't Find My Way Home (Blind Faith song)
4.Had to Cry Today (Blind Faith song)
5.Low Spark of High Heeled Boys (Traffic song)
6.Light Up or Leave Me Alone (Traffic song)
7.Higher Love
8.Dear Mr. Fantasy (Traffic song)
9.Gimme Some Lovin' (Spencer Davis Group song)

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score

FWIW, I started out with Gong. That's the type of thing I was looking for, something way off my radar screen. I never heard of them a
nd I'm almost through their Radio Gnome Invisible Trilogy of which Egg and You are a part. It's been fun, I hear some Zappa and Traffic in there. I'm going with Sparks next and perhaps Coheed and Cambria after that.

I'm glad you found that. It is so obscure I almost didn't list it. But it meets your criteria for great older, full album material. Very psychedelic, jazzy and fun.

You might want to try Gentle Giant. They are more classical oriented prog rock, but almost all of their albums are concept albums meant to be listened to all the way through.

Reaction Score
Saw Winwood with the ABB at the Meadows in 2013....amazing set for a "warm up act". LOL

Steve Winwood – Comcast Theatre Hartford: 8-24-13:
1.Rainmaker
2.I'm a Man (Spencer Davis Group song)
3.Can't Find My Way Home (Blind Faith song)
4.Had to Cry Today (Blind Faith song)
5.Low Spark of High Heeled Boys (Traffic song)
6.Light Up or Leave Me Alone (Traffic song)
7.Higher Love
8.Dear Mr. Fantasy (Traffic song)
9.Gimme Some Lovin' (Spencer Davis Group song)

Yeah love Winwood, Dear Mr Fantasy is right there as well as I'm a Man.

Reaction Score
Saw Los Lobos at a free show in Hamden and they did a killer Dear Mr. Fantasy for an encore.

Funny, how so many people think Los Lobos broke up after "La Bamba" in 1987....to this day, a vastly underappreciated & multi talented group of guys.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Television -Marquee Moon

Dumptruck- D is for Dumptruck (A Boston indy my buddy was friends with, wore out the cassette back in the day).

Blur-Parklife
Marquee Moon for certain. You can go backwards and forward from Dumptruck and get to Saucers, Miracle Legion, Mark Malachy, Kevin Salem and other fine New Haven & Boston music. Blur is a Britpop band I've long been told to check out. Your other two recommendations seal the deal for me to open Spotify right now.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If you're looking for a good live album, try "Band of Gypsies" from Jimi Hendrix. It's from after he left the "Jimi Hendrix Experience" and is a little more bluesy than his earlier work. Worth it for "Machine Gun" alone; this is probably my all-time favorite guitar solo.

Seconded. One of his best.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Funny, how so many people think Los Lobos broke up after "La Bamba" in 1987....to this day, a vastly underappreciated & multi talented group of guys.
Well, as we've recently seen, a lot of people don't recognize that even in their peak years, the Eagles weren't among the top five LA major label bands. I'll go with Mothers of Invention, Little Feat, Crazy Horse, Steely Dan, and the fully coed Fleetwood Mac (post-Doors & pre-Slash), and this is by no means my favorite music center or period.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

FWIW, I started out with Gong. That's the type of thing I was looking for, something way off my radar screen. I never heard of them a
nd I'm almost through their Radio Gnome Invisible Trilogy of which Egg and You are a part. It's been fun, I hear some Zappa and Traffic in there.

Never heard of them either. Just sampled through that trilogy and now I know why. If that's the type of thing you're looking for you can disregard all of my suggestions. I got nothin' in that realm.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Great list....BTW....the "Reputa the beauta" was on the Geils :Blow your face out" live LP....
I saw Grand Funk last fall (original drummer and bassist) - they still rock. They've got former Kiss axe man Bruce Kulick and former .38 special member Max Carl.

Any Steely Dan LP will do. They are at the OAKDALE in April.....but Steve Winwood doesn't join the tour until May sometime.

I got my tickets for Steely Dan yesterday using the Citi credit card presale, regular sale starts tomorrow. Who says you "Can't Buy a Thrill"? Anyone else going?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I got my tickets for Steely Dan yesterday using the Citi credit card presale, regular sale starts tomorrow. Who says you "Can't Buy a Thrill"? Anyone else going?

No to Dan (although love them) but I just got holds on my credit card for Phish in Saratoga.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not going this time; saw them most recently at the Beacon a few years ago when they were doing full albums. Still sound great.

No to Dan (although love them) but I just got holds on my credit card for Phish in Saratoga.

Got my confirmation for Xfinity Center tickets yesterday. First time I've ever scored through Phish M.O., after several denials (conversely, I was never shut out of GD M.O., unless you count GD50, which I don't...).

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Not going this time; saw them most recently at the Beacon a few years ago when they were doing full albums. Still sound great.

Got my confirmation for Xfinity Center tickets yesterday. First time I've ever scored through Phish M.O., after several denials (conversely, I was never shut out of GD M.O., unless you count GD50, which I don't...).

The weekend Phish are in Hartford (and Mass) I will be at Camp Creek, which is why Im only going to Saratoga. I miss Camp Creek for NO band. ( plus Ill be working there so there's that :)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Never heard of them either. Just sampled through that trilogy and now I know why. If that's the type of thing you're looking for you can disregard all of my suggestions. I got nothin' in that realm.
I have no desired realm here. The perceived prog-rock bias is just coincidence due to my not listening to those albums back in the day. I like how threads evolve, this one took a swerve toward listing faves. Which is fine, of course. But that doesn't help my search. Is anyone who went to college in the 70s not familiar with the Dead, Traffic or Hendrix? Never mind the Doors, Who and Stones?

And isn't just sampling the polar opposite of listening to the entire album?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have no desired realm here. The perceived prog-rock bias is just coincidence due to my not listening to those albums back in the day. I like how threads evolve, this one took a swerve toward listing faves. Which is fine, of course. But that doesn't help my search. Is anyone who went to college in the 70s not familiar with the Dead, Traffic or Hendrix? Never mind the Doors, Who and Stones?

I misunderstood your OP. I thought you said you never listened to classic rock albums back in the day and you only listened to the hits.

In any event, I only listed Traffic as among those you've referenced here (I mentioned the Stones only as the source of the Isbell comment).

As for sampling Gong, it's just not remotely interesting enough for me to spin an album. But I'm glad you found what you were looking for.

Reaction Score

Dead Traffic Hendrix I'm going to check those guys out

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As for sampling Gong, it's just not remotely interesting enough for me to spin an album. But I'm glad you found what you were looking for.

Don't understand the snark here.

Reaction Score
I, like 8893 sampled it and found it too weird. I might need to warm up with some Captain Beefheart first.
Bright Light Social Hour is more accessible but something you might dig.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I

If it,s not your thing it's not for lack of talent by the band. And I really don't understand how someone who likes Phish wouldn,t be interested in a band like Gong. They play lots of long long spacy intsrumental jams with evolving time signigtures wrapped around quirky, vampy songs. Sounds a lot like Phish or their big influence Zappa.

Most challenging, thought provoking stuff requires some getting used to but is often the most rewarding over time.

Also, the last album of trilogy is called You. It's the best one of the bunch. Instead of sampling listen to that all the way through. Maybe a couple or few times just to get past the surprise factor.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No snark intended, sorry. I sampled it to see if it was music that interested me. It wasn't. But obviously that doesn't mean that it's not something that might interest others, which you underscored by saying it was exactly what you were looking for. I clearly totally misunderstood your original inquiry.

I am always interested in hearing about music I don't know, and I will give almost anything a shot except death metal, heavy prog rock or heavy electronica. What I heard seemed to be very prog and somewhat electronica, and the "concept" was just too dated/silly to connect with me.

Funny @imno1 mentioned Captain Beefheart, because that was the closest comparison that came to me while I listening to it, but even that was fleeting, as Captain Beefheart is ultimately blues-based music, whereas the Gong stuff is much more abstracted. I like Captain Beefheart and I love Zappa, who got his start there.

@tdrink , sorry, I just don't hear the Phish at all; nor do I hear the Zappa. It wasn't surprise, just not sounds that I liked hearing.

There are a lot of assumptions made about Phish fans and what other music they might like. Most of them don't apply to me. For example, many people have urged me about Widespead Panic, and they don't do it for me at all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom