OT - Revisiting Old Albums | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT - Revisiting Old Albums

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Was that anymore of a mismatch than the Ramones-SOS Band spring concert circa 1983?

Yeah, but it was a school function, so they went with the diversity angle. Besides, punk and funk are only one letter apart...

How does SUBOG choose the artists for the Spring Concert?
The SUBOG concert chairperson forms a concert committee. Any UConn student is eligible to join the committee. The concert committee then looks at all available performers. Some contributing factors include where the artist is on their tour and if they are within SUBOG’s budget. Once a field is narrowed down, the committee chooses a performer with the best interest of the campus community in mind.

Actually, the Ponty/Kinks bill wasn't the worst. I was one of perhaps 4 people who actually went to Lake Compounce for the 'Mats and not for Tom Petty on that 1989 travesty of a double bill. And the 'Mats did us proud, basically mailing it in and antagonizing all the Petty fans.

Reaction Score
I love this thread! I looked up a couple of shows that I really enjoyed attending back in the day. Clapton/Muddy Waters, New Haven 4/29/79. I was a junior in high school and my buddy was a Frosh at SCSU and some of us HSers drove down to New Haven and got the full college dorm party experience for the first time. Enlightening. It was Southern after all. Next, the Allman Bros. outdoors at the Music Inn in Lenox, Ma 8/26/79. It was an afternoon concert and it was really hot. I remember the ABB just tearing up. I only went to the Music Inn that one time but in researching I found that they had amazing shows there year after year in the '70s.
That must have been fantastic. I love the 70s era Clapton stuff, praying he decides to tour one more time as he's at the top of my bucket list at this point.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Or Johnny Winter and the Ramones at the Palace in Waterbury mid 70s.
Mismatch or not, that's a good one.
And Stones at Dillon? Nice.
Saw the Dead there, but a decade or so later.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Thanks for the replies, but I'm not seeing much outside the classic rock, superstar canon. Any one offs, forgotten bands or guilty pleasures? Like say Big Star? What about bands like Mahogany Rush? Are they any good?

A classic album that was big in Britian but never really caught on here was Ogden's Nut Gone Flake by the Small Faces. Very cohesive album. British invasion psycedelic pop (at the time, not really very psychedelic.)

I mentioned before John Mayall-Back to the Roots. Has a who's who cast of supporting musicians including Clapton and Mick Taylor.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
((( vibes)))

The stuff is musical genius of the highest order, not just the sitar work but the tabla playing is at the top of the Rhytmic ladder as any drummer will tell you. However to each his own, not everything is for everyone. And especially difficult for a western ear to latch on to that stuff at first listen.

Rhytmic? As in "algorhytmic"?

Reaction Score
Prog guy here. i'll make some suggestions in that arena just in case you like something other than Tull's TaaB (which is great btw)..

Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery, Aqualung
Yes - Close to the Edge, Relayer, Tales
Genesis - Trick of the Tail, Wind and Wuthering (never a big Lamb fan though that is where i got my moniker from)

others..
Steely Dan - Aja, Gaucho
Deep Purple - Machine Head, Fireball, Who do we Think we are

Reaction Score
others i didn't have time to enter..

Rush - Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures

others..
Chicago - CTA, V, VII
Boston - s/t
CSN(Y) - first album, Deja Vu
Police - Ghost in the Machine, Synchronicity
Grand Funk - s/t, Closer to Home
Led Zeppelin - III, IV, HotH, Physical Graffiti

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I know I've posted in this thread but I'm going back to see what I previously wrote.

The Alabama Shakes are a band that have a sound like it came out of the classic rock era. A little bit rock, some soul, blues, etc. Would have looked right at home playing Woodstock.

I'm looking forward to seeing Grace Potter in a couple of weeks. She's got a pretty good range of music and is touring as a solo act (although some of her band, The Nocturnals, are on the tour).

Here's a good piece of advice. Go to the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival website. Check out all the bands listed there. Click on some links and you are bound to find a half dozen bands you haven't heard of but would enjoy listening to.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Another early 70s record that, IMO, still holds up and I find myself listening to more often after ignoring it for years: "Dreamboat Annie."

I normally deplore the idea of actually going to see a band that was big in the 70s. But I'm making plans to go see Heart on their Pittsburgh stop this summer. They are one of the only bands (maybe the only besides Springsteen) from the 70s that can still bring it. I despise most of their 80s "arena rock"/ballad era, but their early-mid 70s stuff still sounds great, Ann (65) can still bring the vocals, and Nancy (62) can still do the kick and bounce around. To me it's worth the ticket for these two songs, especially the intro to Crazy On You. And the likelihood of a Zep encore as they're one of the best LZ cover bands in history.

Reaction Score
I've got just two shows lined up for this summer....The Mavericks at the Indian Ranch in Webster, MA....& ZZ Top with Gregg Allman at the Meadows.

Can't wait to see G.A. solo. Listened to his "Live from Macon" CD from last year, the horn section really adds a cool soulfullness to stuff like Whipping Post & Statesboro Blues.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Prog guy here. i'll make some suggestions in that arena just in case you like something other than Tull's TaaB (which is great btw)..

Genesis - Trick of the Tail, Wind and Wuthering (never a big Lamb fan though that is where i got my moniker from)

others..
Steely Dan - Aja, Gaucho

For the prog side you forgot Renaissance. Live at Carnegie Hall was the best because the full side versions of Scheherazade and Ashes are Burning. Turn of the Cards is an exceptional studio album.

Al Stewart's Past, Present, and Future is overlooked when compared to Year of the Cat, but it's arguably a superior album.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If anyone has a taste for 90's hip-hop and gangster rap I can point you to a few good albums outside of Notorious BIG, Tupac, and Beastie Boys.

Gang Starr's Moment of Truth and Hard to Earn are very good, underrated albums. I recommend them.

Mobb Deep's The Infamous is one of my all-time favorites. Shook Ones Pt. II is one of the best rap songs of all-time and is a must-listen.

Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx is very good. Lots of Wu-Tang representation for those who like them. My favorite Wu-Tang member, Ol' Dirty Bastard was not in this album unfortunately.

Also for other artists I recommend AZ, Nas, Redman, Cappadonna, Jadakiss, and The L.O.X.

Reaction Score
For the prog side you forgot Renaissance. Live at Carnegie Hall was the best because the full side versions of Scheherazade and Ashes are Burning. Turn of the Cards is an exceptional studio album.
yes i did forget (doh!) and agree about Turn. also love the Scheherazade album and the title tune on Song for all Seasons.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but I'll throw in some some great Neil Young albums:

On the Beach- The first side of this album is solid and many fans think the second side is the strongest of Neil's career.

Rust Never Sleeps- No, your speakers aren't blown. That is the awesome tone of Neil's guitar.

Ragged Glory- A great road trip album and contains a couple tracks Pearl Jam likes to cover.

Also for those who don't mind tracks that typically run over 20 minutes check out Fela Kuti. A heartbreaking but inspiring story. Some highlights include:

Coffin for Head of State
Expensive
Zombie
Unknown Soldier

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Has anyone mentioned David Hasselhoff's Looking for...The Best yet? As the reviews in the link attest, it is a pretty amazing, transformative and essential album, and the song "Hot Shot City" is particularly good.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

others..
Steely Dan - Aja, Gaucho

I'm a big Steely Dan fan. Interesting you put Gaucho with Aja. Aja is probably my favorite album ever, but Gaucho wasn't one of my top SD albums. I did love "Time Out of Mind" on it though. Going to see them again, this time back at the Oakdale. Also will see Bonnie Raitt there as well.

I also listened to a lot of Yes back in the day. Brought back some memories!

Never thought Walter Becker would get fat!

Reaction Score
Another early 70s record that, IMO, still holds up and I find myself listening to more often after ignoring it for years: "Dreamboat Annie."

I normally deplore the idea of actually going to see a band that was big in the 70s. But I'm making plans to go see Heart on their Pittsburgh stop this summer. They are one of the only bands (maybe the only besides Springsteen) from the 70s that can still bring it. I despise most of their 80s "arena rock"/ballad era, but their early-mid 70s stuff still sounds great, Ann (65) can still bring the vocals, and Nancy (62) can still do the kick and bounce around. To me it's worth the ticket for these two songs, especially the intro to Crazy On You. And the likelihood of a Zep encore as they're one of the best LZ cover bands in history.

Just in case you haven't heard this

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A classic album that was big in Britian but never really caught on here was Ogden's Nut Gone Flake by the Small Faces. Very cohesive album. British invasion psycedelic pop (at the time, not really very psychedelic.)

Sounds interesting, not on Spotify unfortunately.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I know I've posted in this thread but I'm going back to see what I previously wrote.

The Alabama Shakes are a band that have a sound like it came out of the classic rock era. A little bit rock, some soul, blues, etc. Would have looked right at home playing Woodstock.

I'm looking forward to seeing Grace Potter in a couple of weeks. She's got a pretty good range of music and is touring as a solo act (although some of her band, The Nocturnals, are on the tour).

Here's a good piece of advice. Go to the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival website. Check out all the bands listed there. Click on some links and you are bound to find a half dozen bands you haven't heard of but would enjoy listening to.
Going to see the Shakes in June. Looking forward to it. Going to see a band called Cracker in May and Steely Dan in June. Live music is good for the soul. There is a Zep cover band based here in Chicago that occasionally gets out east. They are not touring right now. Their name is Led Zep 2 and they have a website by the same name. If you love Zep try to get to one of their shows. I promise that they are the best Zep cover band you have ever heard. Haven't done the New Orleans Jazz fest yet but it is on the short list.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Sorry, didn't mean to get a subthread going on LZ tribute bands based on my Heart comments. I personally couldn't be bothered to go see a tribute band (although if someone gave me tix for Brit Floyd, I'd probably go). The difference being that Heart or Pearl Jam or Foos covering LZ or Who classics is done out of respect for those bands and the material - it's not how they make a living. And it's usually quite fun when they go down that road.

Tribute bands add nothing to any genre and simply collect money from people willing to pay for nostalgia.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

I love Heart. I think Ann Wilson is top 5 greatest all time Rock vocalists (and not just women, I mean ALL)

Nancy Wilson irks me. I dont like the posing, the kicks and what not especially as she aged. It seems so contrived.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
How about some Jackson Browne.

now we are talking my friend.
For my money this may be the most well written song (combination of music and lyrics and the mood of the arrangement all together in one incredible alchemy) ever composed. And that isnt easy for me to say because Bob Dylan is my higher power.

This from the rock and roll anniversary at MSG a few years ago is just an incredible spot on performance of it too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom