OT - Retirement Question | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT - Retirement Question

Reaction Score
Quito, Ecuador...oldest city in the Americas...breathtakingly gorgeous scenery. Almost perfect climate...70's daytime, 50's at night, all year because it's on the Equator. Ecuador is rated one of the 10 best retirement destination countries in the world. I had a client who lived in Quito for several years and he raved about it. The cost of living is dirt cheap. You can live like a king or queen on very little money. Only drawback is the elevation...it's over 9,000 feet high in the Andes. Not for anybody with respiratory issues.

I lived in Quito for 4-1/2 years and it is a beautiful place indeed. We visited some friends there a year ago, and as much as I love the place and the people, I can't imagine living there. We heard of a couple who moved to Cuenca, Eduador - without ever having visited before because of the cost of living and the climate. I just can't imagine leaving everyone I know and moving to a different culture like that.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
By chance, you the Mayor of Greenville? Great commercial there. :D
Just moved from there to Orlando and really miss the place. Outstanding downtown. Lots of restaurants with sidewalk dining. Low crime great schools. Top Level College Football (Clemson, USC) Some of the best small colleges in America. Have I bored you yet. Mountains, Hiking white water kayaking. Large lakes. I can do more if you want ..... oh I here the ZZZZZZZZZZ's

Reaction Score
Just moved from there to Orlando and really miss the place. Outstanding downtown. Lots of restaurants with sidewalk dining. Low crime great schools. Top Level College Football (Clemson, USC) Some of the best small colleges in America. Have I bored you yet. Mountains, Hiking white water kayaking. Large lakes. I can do more if you want ..... oh I here the ZZZZZZZZZZ's

Was there a reason you moved to Orlando, after you painted a glowing review of Greenville?

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Moved to FL the year after I retired to be close to my widowed mother (seven miles away). Liked the area as we'd visited many times when my dad was still alive. No snow and lots to do with tons of restaurants, some local and the usual chains. We eat out at least once a week.

We live about 1/2 mile from the Gulf, 35 minutes from Tampa International Airport (among the finest in the country). RE taxes about 3k/year ($350,000 home) with homeowners insurance of about $2,300 (hurricane risk) and flood insurance of $1,200 your largest costs. Move more inland and you won't need the flood insurance and cut your real estate taxes and property insurance bills too.

Plenty of opportunities for part-time employment or volunteer work from the local libraries to local no-kill animal shelter to local hospitals, etc.

If you plan to buy do yourself a favor and hire a buyer broker who works for you, not the seller, and will get their commission from the listing broker, not from you. Like an area but not sure, rent for a year, storing overflow possessions. Talk to friends, relatives, read articles on the 'net. A little research goes a long way.

We love our situation.

Postage stamp lot means no garden which I miss but lower maintenance costs. $65/month for the lawn guy and $98/month for the pool service, both well worth it.

Good luck. :D

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Lots and lots of good ideas...St Georges, Quinto, Florida...Here's my take:

I don't much care for Florida, would never live there.
My parents; 1st gen, educated middle-class jews from NY purchased a condo in Century Village, Deerfield Beach; which they claimed to love. I hated it.
Barb-wired outer fence...a self-inflicted concentration camp, I observed.
I always made off for the Keys after a day or two's visit or sailed over to the Bahamas on a charter...another world 45 miles away.

But here's my latest experience and suggestion.
We're New Yorkers, happy anywhere (almost)...We bought a house in St Johnsbury Vt to be close to skiing; it's worked out fine. We travel a lot and sail in the summer on the LI Sound.

In this day and age, you don't have to decide; unless setting down roots is important...along with house swapping and airbnb you can try out anything and everything. If it wasn't for the fact that some people rather lacking in judgement
recruited me to resurrect my conducting career, my wife and I would be hither and yon.

For example, researching a book, I had a look at the Pacific NorthWest, last summer...Wowsa, all I require: fantastic sailing on Puget Sound and plenty of mountains for skiing. I said to my wife' let's sell St J and buy there. She thinks I'm nuts...but you don't have to buy...rent or exchange for 3/6 months.

We're going back to Italy next fall for 2 or 3 months; and will take a bunch of two-week deals especially Sicily, where we may stay a month or more.

Retirement even with modest to moderate resources can be a time of great adventure...go for it.
Vita felice! Sounds like you have made some good choices, Maestro. :)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Now I'll give you a serious plug for Bozeman, MT area, where I live. No sales tax, but who is to say what tomorrow brings. Yes, up to 6.5% state income tax. Got a lot of complicated health issues, stay away, because some of those are best handle elsewhere. If you like the outdoor and your soul needs feeding, consider it. Making friends, no matter where you are, is as easy as you make it, no matter your age. There are adult groups everywhere, and certainly here in a wide range of hobbies/activities.

Bozeman has been rated high for quite a while in those magazine/internet best places to retire. Had nothing to do with what got me here about a decade before that benighted publicity started pounding us in my paradise, Gallatin County. Fish, horses and wide open spaces (room to make a big mistake...ooops, I digress into Dixie Chicks), a sky astronomers die for, the mournful cry of a coyote and the western wind singing you a lullaby. Plus about every big box store and bad food franchise you can name. Oh, and there is just 1 place in the valley that makes a decent bagel. There is no good Italian restaurant within 400 miles minimum, but Bozeman is a University town growing and full of ethnic restaurants that come and mostly go like the wind. Theatre production, music, adult education etc is here.

Irritable old bugger that I am I mostly hang out with the antelope and mule deer and try to avoid the pumas, lynx, bobcat, and coyote feeding parties. Love to see and hear those buggers from a distance.

Please don't come. We have enough of us here now. ;)

PS. Cost of living in certainly not cheap and real estate is only cheap by CT standards.
Who doesn't know what I'm talking about? ;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My husband asks - how is the fishing in Jacksonville vs Tampa? He has a boat and regularly fishes for striper, sea bass, etc. he’d love to fish 8-9 months out of the year

Reaction Score
I know this is a weird question but I'll ask it anyway. I'm a few years away from retirement but I constantly get asked where I want to move when I retire. I have no idea. Is it bad to stay in CT? I don't like the heat, but I also don't love the cost of living or taxes in CT. If I did move I'd go north. Any suggestions?? I'm alone so I'd need a place I could make friends.

If you like it in CT, stay. I'm staying! Not leaving the state. I think the advantages of living here far outweigh the disadvantages. Good luck in you decision making.

Reaction Score
I lived in Quito for 4-1/2 years and it is a beautiful place indeed. We visited some friends there a year ago, and as much as I love the place and the people, I can't imagine living there. We heard of a couple who moved to Cuenca, Eduador - without ever having visited before because of the cost of living and the climate. I just can't imagine leaving everyone I know and moving to a different culture like that.

are there not frequent earthquakes in Ecuador?

Reaction Score
My husband asks - how is the fishing in Jacksonville vs Tampa? He has a boat and regularly fishes for striper, sea bass, etc. he’d love to fish 8-9 months out of the year
Stepson was in Tampa area until a few months ago. He loved the fishing there, and did a lot of it close to shore. Not sure what Jax situation is, but people say its more deep water.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
are there not frequent earthquakes in Ecuador?

Only about a dozen of notable force over the last couple of centuries. I haven't
compared the data to California.

The political climate was rambunctious a while ago, but that seems to have settled down in recent years. The people are lovely, as is the country. There is no need to worry about currency conversion, as the official legal tender has been the U.S. dollar since the year 2000.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Was there a reason you moved to Orlando, after you painted a glowing review of Greenville?
Grand children. No place compares to them. Also I've taken 5 strokes off my golf game, although Greenville has nicer courses ;)

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Ever live in the west?? St George, Utah is a place I've always liked - its in the desert, hot but dry - lots of retirees in the area - great jumping off point for hiking, rafting, photography etc.

My spouse was raised in Connecticut and I grew up in Western Mass, but we moved to Dixon, California in the late 80’s. We moved briefly to the Seattle area in 2005 thinking we might retire there, but we couldn’t stand the weather. We eventually moved to St. George, Ut. in 2010 while I continued telecommuting full time to my employer in Washington. Officially retired in 2012. Except for the conservative politics and the sometime overbearing influence of the LDS, it’s a great place to retire. Cost of living is excellent and year round outdoor activities are abundant. As a tennis player, I can play 52 weeks a year, but make no mistake, June-August are brutal when temperatures routinely reach 100+. In the summer most people confine their outdoor activities to mornings.

For hikers and campers, Zion is a 60 minute drive and Bryce is only a few hours away. For lovers of night life, Las Vegas is 1.5 hours away. There are more golf courses in the area than people!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

It's a shame you had to move, now that I'm here we never plan to go anywhere else. Absolutely love the area.
Great location if you plan to buy a house too. Get much more bang for your buck and the taxes are so cheap. Live just outside Greenville and pay only $1800 a year for 3400 sq ft house on 4 acres. I can't imagine what that would cost in Ct:eek:

Reaction Score
FL property tax isn't cheap either though it is based only on real estate not cars boats. The weird thing is they do not assess properties, it is all based on sale price of the property so two identical houses on the same street can have wildly different taxes if one is a recent purchase and the other was bought 20 years ago.

The insurance can fluctuate based on distance from the ocean and flood assessment, but it is definitely higher than most places and after every hurricane most of the private insurers disappear and you end up with a gvmt sponsored plan

Bingo! The Pacific NW is fabulous. It's beautiful, plenty of space, temperate climate, absolutely everything you can imagine. I suggest Portland, the best city I've ever lived in. People are friendly, open, welcoming (except to Californians). Abundance of culture, little crime, close to the ocean. Food is superb, especially the abundant fish. Cutting edge ecologically. The only thing Portlanders haven't captured for recycling is sweat. Sports! Professional basketball, women's soccer league, minor league baseball. Close to Sue Bird and Megan Rapino. What about the rain! I never minded it, and everything grows profusely. Did I mention the country's largest bookstore? Coffee! I'm tripping over myself extolling this wonderful city. Check it out . . .

(Am I replying to the wrong post?)

Reaction Score
Ever live in the west?? St George, Utah is a place I've always liked - its in the desert, hot but dry - lots of retirees in the area - great jumping off point for hiking, rafting, photography etc.
I liked Cedar City too.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
Retiring to Saco Maine. same basic house (near ocean) worth just a bit more than here and taxes 20% lower on house.

so much to do.. even in winter. in summer we have a drive in, beach, river, 3 theme parks, state forest, 3 miles from Old Orchard. Lot of culture. In the winter Old Orchard has organziation that does events all winter, progressive dinners on trolleys, new years eve on beach and much more.

Being close to medical is important. we are 10 minutes from good hospital. have used health a few times and they have been pretty good.

Local radio and tv stations actually show high school girls basketball games.

On the down side. The darn winds off the ocean in the winter.

toadfoot

Reaction Score
I liked Cedar City too.

Because it’s nearly 6000’, Cedar City tends to be a bit cooler in the summer, but they’ll definitely get some modest snow in the winter. St. George has only had 1 snow storm in the 8 years we’ve been here and it was gone in a day or two.

toadfoot

Reaction Score
Retiring to Saco Maine. same basic house (near ocean) worth just a bit more than here and taxes 20% lower on house.

so much to do.. even in winter. in summer we have a drive in, beach, river, 3 theme parks, state forest, 3 miles from Old Orchard. Lot of culture. In the winter Old Orchard has organziation that does events all winter, progressive dinners on trolleys, new years eve on beach and much more.

Being close to medical is important. we are 10 minutes from good hospital. have used health a few times and they have been pretty good.

Local radio and tv stations actually show high school girls basketball games.

On the down side. The darn winds off the ocean in the winter.

That’s something I neglected to mention in my earlier post about St. George. We have top notch medical facilities and because of the high number of retirees here, many cater to medical issues related to aging.

toadfoot

Reaction Score
Bingo! The Pacific NW is fabulous. It's beautiful, plenty of space, temperate climate, absolutely everything you can imagine. I suggest Portland, the best city I've ever lived in. People are friendly, open, welcoming (except to Californians). Abundance of culture, little crime, close to the ocean. Food is superb, especially the abundant fish. Cutting edge ecologically. The only thing Portlanders haven't captured for recycling is sweat. Sports! Professional basketball, women's soccer league, minor league baseball. Close to Sue Bird and Megan Rapino. What about the rain! I never minded it, and everything grows profusely. Did I mention the country's largest bookstore? Coffee! I'm tripping over myself extolling this wonderful city. Check it out . . .

(Am I replying to the wrong post?)

Perhaps you didn’t get the rain we got

We lived in Monroe, Wa. northeast of Seattle, in what’s called the ‘convergence zone’. We averaged 58” of rain per year. Our house sat on a half acre with about 8000 sq. ft. of lawn and another 9000 sq. ft. of planting beds. In the summer I needed to mow my lawn twice a week and even though it rained rarely from June to September the lawn never dried out, which meant wet grass clippings sticking to the mower housing. I could usually only mow about a 50 ft. long strip before stopping to remove the wet clippings. Took 4 hours to mow my lawn. Can’t even begin to total the hours spent on hands and knees weeding our planting beds. Our property was gorgeous, 32 rhododendrons, several flowering trees, roses, camellias, etc., but it was an incredible amount of work.

Great seafood though!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We found the biggest part of moving out of CT was doing our research/ due diligence on what we wanted for a house/ community/ availability of shopping/ medical/ restaurants and entertainment. Once we had those lists we booked ourselves into communities for their "Stay and Play" deals. Usually 3 days and 2 nights of staying in the community, getting the sales pitch for new builds, and getting a feel for the lay of the land. Most important was talking to current residents and what they liked and didn't like about the community. And evaluating the level of activity in these communities. We did this for 4 communities. We kept a detailed log of all of it. We also had a realtor here in Florida to communicate with. We were not going to build a new house. We wanted resale.

Our whole process took 3+ years, including selling our former house.

Reaction Score
New Hampshire..."Live Free or Die" state...no income tax, no sales tax , no cap gains tax....fantastic quality of life with skiing and ocean.....Portsmouth is a gem, Exeter has all the activities of Phillips Exeter Academy, Hanover is a great town.....the best part is that every four years you're likely to get a knock on your door by someone running for president....people take the whole first in the nation primary responsibility very seriously

Reaction Score
I retired this year and we are happily staying here in Middlesex County. We can walk to the library, movies, dozens of restaurants and the hospital. I did have to shovel our roof today, but we are really blessed by having our kids really nearby and a grand on the way. My son told me that any State school is free if you are a geezer (over 62) so here’s your chance to go back to UCONN. I always dreamt of going back to school, so this is my chance and I started my first class this term!
For a Bronx Boy Connecticut is pretty nice.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
One thing I have heard from a few that have moved elsewhere. Try and spend up to a couple of months in the area where you may move to, if you can afford it. Get to know the community a bit etc. I have heard from more than a few that while the temperature, etc was nice, it was really lacking some things they wanted.

I would also say, I lived in the Rockies of Idaho. It was absolutely beautiful. the towns were small 400-3,500 but every town was self containted and had just about everything you could want. mountains one side and the snake river for beach on the other. The NW is a wonderful area of the country. can get hot but a dry heat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom