OT - Retirement Question | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT - Retirement Question

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One thing I have heard from a few that have moved elsewhere. Try and spend up to a couple of months in the area where you may move to, if you can afford it.

Great advice. A lot of little things you might not notice in a short visit may accumulate and be, in the aggregate, deal breakers.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Bingo! The Pacific NW is fabulous. It's beautiful, plenty of space, temperate climate, absolutely everything you can imagine. I suggest Portland, the best city I've ever lived in. People are friendly, open, welcoming (except to Californians). Abundance of culture, little crime, close to the ocean. Food is superb, especially the abundant fish. Cutting edge ecologically. The only thing Portlanders haven't captured for recycling is sweat. Sports! Professional basketball, women's soccer league, minor league baseball. Close to Sue Bird and Megan Rapino. What about the rain! I never minded it, and everything grows profusely. Did I mention the country's largest bookstore? Coffee! I'm tripping over myself extolling this wonderful city. Check it out . . .

(Am I replying to the wrong post?)

You do know the official slogan of Portland don't you? "Keep Portland Weird" and there is little doubt it's a good slogan for Portland what with the continuing onslaught of Californicans . That old saying about the more things change the more they remain the same is sadly not true. Portland still ranks high on liveability ratings but she's a changing.

On the Californians thing, it was shortly after we retired here in SW Montana that I saw my first bumper sticker of this kind: Keep Montana Safe Kill A Californian But my favorite was: Save The Last Best Place Kill A Developer. Turns out Californians and Developers were synonyms.

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
We bought a house about 30 mins north of Tampa after talking with a lot of friends that had done the same, pre-retirement, but would never have picked FL if we didn't know anyone in the area (and if a friend wasn't desperate to sell). Making friends is a HUGE challenge, as the older you get, I think it's harder to find and cultivate friendships. We are in a 55+ gated community, but we've not made many friends within the gate yet (after being here almost FT for 4 yrs), as we still have a very active social life with our pre-FL friends outside the gate, however, we've started to get to know a few neighbors. I am a bit younger than hubby, so it's interesting that I'm one of the younger in some of our social circles, and find it difficult to relate at times. I am probably very amusing to some of our neighbors, as being one of the newer and younger residents. I have finally made a few girlfriends my age, which helps all of us deal with the "more mature" crowd. LOL.

Our daughter and SIL came down here over 2 years ago and she struggled with relocating, with limits to work and recreation as a mom of three toddlers. She finally found a gym catering to women/moms, and it has made a world of difference for her. So I guess that's my way of saying that friends and social/activity circles are incredibly important.

From a $$ perspective, we appreciate the lack of income tax, no property tax on vehicles, and the homestead exemption in FL which gives each owner $25K credit on value of home, as long as you are a FL resident. We still spend 3 months in CT to get out of the heat and visit family and friends, however that will probably come to an end within next few years, as we're finding more reasons to stay in FL.

TPA is a pretty decent airport and has added a bunch of improvements over last few years. We are about 45 mins from the bay, 30 mins from the gulf coast (west), and close enough to "old FL" to still see farms and cattle, however I'd bet in next 10-15 years, those will be gobbled up by huge housing developments. As much as we miss some of the northern seafood, we love being close to the gulf. Right now, we are in a weather pattern that fluxuating high 60s to 70s during the day, and 40s to 60s at night, so I still get to put jeans and a sweatshirt on every once in a while. :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Speaking of airports, when we arrived her BZM (or is it BZN) had 3 gates and a big bronze grizzly bear in the lobby. It was cozy and homey, though your luggage didn't exactly hit the carousel with lightening speed. Now BZN is an International Airport with, drum roll, 11 gates I think. It's full of polished stone and has a huge fireplace you can sit beside in winter. Our Griz moved a bit, but he's still here, and there is more art splashed around and airport that is always clean. A cup of coffee costs too much. We have more carousels, but the luggage still can be puzzlingly slow. Still, it's a small regional airport and flight options are no many and there are no deals to anywhere but Vegas and those planes you don't want to get on! A second separate runway (the first is sorta an X) is going in this year to take the private traffic which is vast, both Pipers types and jets, jets, jets of the rich and famous.

You don't want to come here. Stay away! I mean to live of course. Come on vacation and bring lots of dough.

Reaction Score
Great advice. A lot of little things you might not notice in a short visit may accumulate and be, in the aggregate, deal breakers.
Good advice.

While we may move ourselves due to family issues, not a bad idea to look at Texas. 105 degrees in summer, but you save so much you can afford to go back to Conn, Maine, NH, etc. We figure we save over 30% over New England and have more to do than anywhere we ever lived in the past near Boston.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Good advice.

While we may move ourselves due to family issues, not a bad idea to look at Texas. 105 degrees in summer, but you save so much you can afford to go back to Conn, Maine, NH, etc. We figure we save over 30% over New England and have more to do than anywhere we ever lived in the past near Boston.
My sister-in-law and her hubby retired from NJ to Austin (well, he retired, she works remotely from home). They did what a couple of folks describe, lots of research, lots of data and home listings - remotely - for a couple years, before going out and finding the right area.

Conversely, my wife and I checked out areas we visited on WBB trips (plus, I traveled to select cities for my work). But once we decided on Tucson, while we did accumulate some home info through a real estate agent, we actually came out, went out 2 days with him, and made our decision.

Both my sister-in-law in Austin and us in Tucson - very pleased. So there is no single process to follow.

Reaction Score
Now I'll give you a serious plug for Bozeman, MT area, where I live. No sales tax, but who is to say what tomorrow brings. Yes, up to 6.5% state income tax. Got a lot of complicated health issues, stay away, because some of those are best handle elsewhere. If you like the outdoor and your soul needs feeding, consider it. Making friends, no matter where you are, is as easy as you make it, no matter your age. There are adult groups everywhere, and certainly here in a wide range of hobbies/activities.

Bozeman has been rated high for quite a while in those magazine/internet best places to retire. Had nothing to do with what got me here about a decade before that benighted publicity started pounding us in my paradise, Gallatin County. Fish, horses and wide open spaces (room to make a big mistake...ooops, I digress into Dixie Chicks), a sky astronomers die for, the mournful cry of a coyote and the western wind singing you a lullaby. Plus about every big box store and bad food franchise you can name. Oh, and there is just 1 place in the valley that makes a decent bagel. There is no good Italian restaurant within 400 miles minimum, but Bozeman is a University town growing and full of ethnic restaurants that come and mostly go like the wind. Theatre production, music, adult education etc is here.

Irritable old bugger that I am I mostly hang out with the antelope and mule deer and try to avoid the pumas, lynx, bobcat, and coyote feeding parties. Love to see and hear those buggers from a distance.

Please don't come. We have enough of us here now. ;)

PS. Cost of living in certainly not cheap and real estate is only cheap by CT standards.

One of my sons moved to Missoula, and is very happy there. University(where my son teaches) town, weather not much different from ours in Mass. , not far from spectacular Glacier Park, 7 Starbucks, great fly fishing, and one of the few "blue" parts of the state.

Reaction Score
I know this is a weird question but I'll ask it anyway. I'm a few years away from retirement but I constantly get asked where I want to move when I retire. I have no idea. Is it bad to stay in CT? I don't like the heat, but I also don't love the cost of living or taxes in CT. If I did move I'd go north. Any suggestions?? I'm alone so I'd need a place I could make friends.
We lived in Sherman for years and, finally, tired of the winters. Florida is only inhabitable for about 8 months of the year, but Southern California is always 72 degrees and sunny. So we chose the LA area. As to making friends, that is never easy. Especially if you hope to replicate the deep, long-standing friendships you have previously enjoyed. I changed my expectations on that one, and am satisfied with making some acquaintances with really interesting people. And you can get UCONN Lady Huskies on TV out here with Direct TV as your provider. Best of luck.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One of my sons moved to Missoula, and is very happy there. University(where my son teaches) town, weather not much different from ours in Mass. , not far from spectacular Glacier Park, 7 Starbucks, great fly fishing, and one of the few "blue" parts of the state.

Nan, Biff, JS may be unhappy with you about the color of Missoula, but you are probably aware that Montana U has had years of declining enrollment, layoffs and early retirement programs in an effort to right size and the stronger emphasis on the humanities has been labeled as a significant factor in the decline, as opposed to Montana State U in Bozeman, which is science and technology oriented growing out of its humble ag college beginnings. But Missoula is an absolutely a great place to live, breathe, hike, fish, kayak etc etc etc. Bozeman also has that color thing going on. ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

That's a very generous definition of "town" - small cities maybe, towns not so much.

BTW: In an earlier post I suggested, in jest I hope you know, that you can come the SW Montana to visit, but please don't come to live. I hear a radio ad on our ESPN Radio station today that tells me it is too late to stem the tide of "civilization" down in our corner of the state - Bozeman now has two, count em two, Malibou Tan Tanning Salons.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
So, if someone did want the warmth, do any of our Floridian Huskies have anything to say about Jacksonville vs Tampa? My husband and I are starting to look. We’d continue working so we’re interested in job prospects, etc, as well as the social aspects.

The advantage is Jacksonville in the summer for overnights in the 60's, for comfortable early mornings.
If gardening is important, though, be aware that north Florida always has hard winter freezes, whereas some winters Tampa would escape them altogether.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
When I'm retired. I want to live under a rock. :)
But seriously, I'm working to get a TC, throw it on the back of my pickup.
I'll be traveling from camp site to camp site during the Winter.
For the Summer time I really don't know yet.
But, I heard there's a place in AZ that's is very high in elevation that is doable to live not to hot. I'll be interested to check it out. I can't think of a name right now.

I have done a lot of volunteer work on the Navajo reservation over the years. I'm guessing the place you are thinking of is Flagstaff in the northern part of the state. I like the city from the few times I've wandered through there.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
how's your Spanish?
upload_2018-3-13_1-11-10.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members