OT - Retirement Question | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Retirement Question

Reaction Score
I know this is a weird question but I'll ask it anyway. I'm a few years away from retirement but I constantly get asked where I want to move when I retire. I have no idea. Is it bad to stay in CT? I don't like the heat, but I also don't love the cost of living or taxes in CT. If I did move I'd go north. Any suggestions?? I'm alone so I'd need a place I could make friends.
Would suggest first focusing on how much you value friendships and how you would make new friends. Will help decide if you need to move to a community style neighborhood. Too many retirees move to resort style areas and find they are in 2nd home communities where folks leave much of year. Colorado Springs is an option no one has mentioned with great all year round temperatures. I would be there but wife wants beach. Amelia Island, FL, Wilmington, NC, and Hilton Head/Bluffton, SC are all east coast areas worth a look. Generally good weather and summers a good excuse to go to Maine or NH for a few weeks.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
When I retired from the Marine Corps in 91, I settled on a property my father purchased during the Great Depression in 1930 located in Northeastern New Mexico. I turned this into a working property producing hay (don't laugh), and cattle for wholesale and retail sale. Because my son, grandson, and his wife live in the San Antonio area of Texas, I purchased a home there as well to visit on a regular basis. I also take advantage of the VA in San Antonio which is affiliated with the University of Texas Medical School and Center.

I would encourage folks to "Retire" but also keep themselves active by finding something enjoyable and productive to do to make life more interesting what ever that may be. For me, it is my ranch which now produces 1000 acres of hay (most of which goes out of state to horse ranches in Florida), 500 head of cattle and leases for natural gas.

Most important, I love the outdoors. I have herds of elk and mule deer in the winter and wild horses all year round. That's where some of my hay goes. And, I love the adventure of visiting my land enjoying its grandeur and majesty.

As Dr. Phil might say, "You've made some really good life decisions."

dr phil.jpg

Taking care of mind, body and spirit. Got all your bases covered--that is the way to do it.

Reaction Score
Last year when I wrote a larger check to CT than the Feds for income tax, I said to the wife, "I'm going to FL, you coming?" It's a decision I have not regretted. Bought a new home in a Venice planned community and loving it. I work at a golf course three days a week (18-20 hrs) to keep busy and free golf. Life could not be better. I do miss the grandkids but facetime takes care of that somewhat.
Look into taxes and health care when thinking of moving. I had to change Medicare supplement but it does cover me in CT when visiting (still Aetna and same rate). Property taxes are much lower, driver lic and car reg are cheap here. But food is a bit higher. Water & sewer and power are cheaper. Good Luck.

Reaction Score
People always worry about taxes and cost of living and ..., but I think the first question to ask is 'do you like where you live now and do you have good friends and a good support group around you.' The grass is not always greener, and the cost of living isn't usually that important unless you're talking trying to live in SF or NYC. It is a lot easier keeping friends than building new relationships, especially with no work environment to help promote them.

And in a lot of cases you end up paying the same in the end - I lived in FL with zero income tax but got nailed in property taxes sales taxes and insurance premiums, so unless I was making a lot of money each year it was probably the same as living in CT and paying the income tax.

As far as the NE, if cost of living is your thing, NH with no sales tax nor income tax is the first choice if you like winter weather.

I've thought a lot about this too. My house has been paid off for years and it's a two family that generates income for me - plus I own my mother's condo so when she passes I'll have that too. I am 56, alone and still working a full-time job so I was just throwing things out for ideas and wow everyone came up with great ones! I've been to most of the places mentioned. I am looking at New Hampshire, Maine, and upstate NY near Watkins Glen. I'd actually like to move near an animal/farm sanctuary where I could volunteer every day.

Reaction Score
I have been retired a few years and it looks like I am sticking in CT. Family isnt the issue as it is spread out. But I have a paid-off house I like and some very good friends here. I like the QOL here even if the costs are higher. Just comfortable here, have supports and interests (horse!).
Some former coworkers urge me to join them in a retirement community in Florida. But then they post about their shuffleboard tourneys and other activities that do not interest me at all. And I guess I would rather deal with the cold here than more heat and humidity down south (though I wont go North for more cold/snow!)

Reaction Score
I know this is a weird question but I'll ask it anyway. I'm a few years away from retirement but I constantly get asked where I want to move when I retire. I have no idea. Is it bad to stay in CT? I don't like the heat, but I also don't love the cost of living or taxes in CT. If I did move I'd go north. Any suggestions?? I'm alone so I'd need a place I could make friends.
With respect, the questions that you pose here are not the correct ones to be asking. They imply an inevitability about retirement as though alternative options do not exist. Is this prospect being forced on you because of your particular circumstances? I love retirement, but it is most assuredly NOT for everyone. And why does the question about a habitat relocation necessarily arise?
As I said, I LOVE retirement...for me. But I have friends who are retired who never should have chosen to do so. Are you easily bored? If you're going to sit around in retirement wondering what you're going to do with yourself every day, you're going to hate it, I promise! The happiest retirees are people who really enjoyed their careers, and who genuinely miss their former occupation, but who want the time to explore new, usually creative options. They are happy with their lives and happy with where they reside, and happy with their social circle, but simply want more spontaneity in their lives. If you're not pleased with those things now, it's frankly unlikely that a move is going to fundamentally change that reality (sorry).
One need not be wealthy to retire, but one's assets must be sufficient to allow for a desired lifestyle without perseverating all the time about money...otherwise, what's the point? Some of my happiest friends are in their eighties and still go to work every day. I'm not trying to be harsh here, but ask yourself the right questions, my friend.

Reaction Score
We live in Syracuse and have been following the Huskies for a while. For the last couple of years we've been looking in Florida for a place to spend the winter. Last month we were in Fort Lauderdale checking out places and we watched the UConn v South Carolina game. Several posters mentioned that Columbia is a nice, up and coming place to live. We did a lot of research and went down there this weekend after shoveling 14 inches of snow on Friday. We were very impressed with the city and just put in a purchase offer on a townhouse. The Boneyard works in mysterious ways.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So, if someone did want the warmth, do any of our Floridian Huskies have anything to say about Jacksonville vs Tampa? My husband and I are starting to look. We’d continue working so we’re interested in job prospects, etc, as well as the social aspects.
When I was looking to move to FL in the early 2000s, I looked at Orlando, Jacksonville, Tampa, and Miami/Ft Lauderdale and the final determinant was the airports - I like international and national travel and Miami was just hands down the best for direct flights everywhere (and with two large airports within relatively easy distance.

West Coast/Orlando FL is generally older, whiter, and more conservative. Jacksonville was really nice, but Miami for me was the winner - more 'cosmopolitan' and the weather in Miami is consistently in the ten degree warmer band in winter and the 10 degree cooler band in summer over the rest of FL - it is the only real 'maritime climate' because it is surrounded by water with the Atlantic and the everglades and that keeps it just that little bit cooler/warmer summer/winter.

As for hurricanes it is a crap shoot - in the 10 years I owned, the Connecticut shoreline got 2 hurricanes to Miami's 1 - go figure! But my homeowners insurance fluctuated from about 4.5k to almost 9k per year based on how many years since the last hurricane.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
When I was looking to move to FL in the early 2000s, I looked at Orlando, Jacksonville, Tampa, and Miami/Ft Lauderdale and the final determinant was the airports - I like international and national travel and Miami was just hands down the best for direct flights everywhere (and with two large airports within relatively easy distance.

West Coast/Orlando FL is generally older, whiter, and more conservative. Jacksonville was really nice, but Miami for me was the winner - more 'cosmopolitan' and the weather in Miami is consistently in the ten degree warmer band in winter and the 10 degree cooler band in summer over the rest of FL - it is the only real 'maritime climate' because it is surrounded by water with the Atlantic and the everglades and that keeps it just that little bit cooler/warmer summer/winter.

As for hurricanes it is a crap shoot - in the 10 years I owned, the Connecticut shoreline got 2 hurricanes to Miami's 1 - go figure! But my homeowners insurance fluctuated from about 4.5k to almost 9k per year based on how many years since the last hurricane.
Wow, that’s some tab on the insurance. It’s like swapping Our property tax for insurance

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Ever live in the west?? St George, Utah is a place I've always liked - its in the desert, hot but dry - lots of retirees in the area - great jumping off point for hiking, rafting, photography etc.

I love St George.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Lots and lots of good ideas...St Georges, Quinto, Florida...Here's my take:

I don't much care for Florida, would never live there.
My parents; 1st gen, educated middle-class jews from NY purchased a condo in Century Village, Deerfield Beach; which they claimed to love. I hated it.
Barb-wired outer fence...a self-inflicted concentration camp, I observed.
I always made off for the Keys after a day or two's visit or sailed over to the Bahamas on a charter...another world 45 miles away.

But here's my latest experience and suggestion.
We're New Yorkers, happy anywhere (almost)...We bought a house in St Johnsbury Vt to be close to skiing; it's worked out fine. We travel a lot and sail in the summer on the LI Sound.

In this day and age, you don't have to decide; unless setting down roots is important...along with house swapping and airbnb you can try out anything and everything. If it wasn't for the fact that some people rather lacking in judgement
recruited me to resurrect my conducting career, my wife and I would be hither and yon.

For example, researching a book, I had a look at the Pacific NorthWest, last summer...Wowsa, all I require: fantastic sailing on Puget Sound and plenty of mountains for skiing. I said to my wife' let's sell St J and buy there. She thinks I'm nuts...but you don't have to buy...rent or exchange for 3/6 months.

We're going back to Italy next fall for 2 or 3 months; and will take a bunch of two-week deals especially Sicily, where we may stay a month or more.

Retirement even with modest to moderate resources can be a time of great adventure...go for it.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wow, that’s some tab on the insurance. It’s like swapping Our property tax for insurance
FL property tax isn't cheap either though it is based only on real estate not cars boats. The weird thing is they do not assess properties, it is all based on sale price of the property so two identical houses on the same street can have wildly different taxes if one is a recent purchase and the other was bought 20 years ago.

The insurance can fluctuate based on distance from the ocean and flood assessment, but it is definitely higher than most places and after every hurricane most of the private insurers disappear and you end up with a gvmt sponsored plan

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So, if someone did want the warmth, do any of our Floridian Huskies have anything to say about Jacksonville vs Tampa? My husband and I are starting to look. We’d continue working so we’re interested in job prospects, etc, as well as the social aspects.
My wife and I worked in Jacksonville and lived in Ponte Vedra Beach, just east of Jacksonville for about 10 years through 2003. Jacksonville was OK, but living out at the beach was great.

The area has developed quite a bit since we left, so issues like traffic and crowds on weekends at the beach are now a bit more of a hassle.

Reaction Score
I moved 30 miles north of Tampa 2 miles from the coast in 2014.
Property taxes are $1000 on a 3 bedroom house with a pool, In CT they were over $7ooo.
No state income tax. Property insurance runs $1200 a year. Don't look at buying in a flood zone as insurance costs go through the roof.
It rarely goes over 90 because of the proximity to the coast. The pool is usable from March through November. I have a solar heater which warms it to 80 in March.
I wouldn't live here without a pool. We have a screened in lanai around the pool, hence no mosquitoes.

Everything is within 5 miles. A cardiac care center 3 miles away has saved me from 2 heart attacks. I now have 3 stents and a defibrillator. Over 4 years, total mileage on the car is 11k.
Tampa Airport is 30 minutes south.
Simply great beaches.

We've been to the Sun Dome to see USF play the Huskies 3 times. Great arena.
We saw the Huskies beat Notre Dame in 2016 for the NCAA Championship at Amalie Arena in Tampa and plan on seeing them win it there next year.
I get SNY on Frontier cable so see all of the Husky games.

Best thing I ever did.

Reaction Score

My wife went to Tampa a few days ago and said it was pretty run down. It used to be beautiful. Two guys got out of cars in front of her and almost came to blows. But both Tampa and Jacksonville have issues with crime right in the city. (As do CT cities obviously). Tampa is quite a bit warmer and has Gulf beaches that are beautiful and there seems to be more to do there. Jacksonville is farther from the theme parks, but is really pretty at night with all the bridges lit up. My wife's brother and family live on Amelia Island, which is a little north of Jacksonville and about an hour's commute into the city, but it is really beautiful. They live a half block from the beach. There is a lot of money there and the housing prices would remind you of CT. I live closer to Jacksonville and appreciate the coolness of the winter months. All in all, both cities and their surrounding areas have pros and cons.

One thing I learned recently was that South Carolina, although it has an income tax, actually takes a lower percentage of their people's pay out in taxes than does Florida. It also gets a bit more of a winter. That might be something to consider. It might be my next move. In my small city of Palm Coast, which is on the East coast south of St. Augustine and which is growing by leaps and bounds, they raised property taxes 13% last year. And there are basically no jobs other than retail here.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Property taxes are much cheaper here than in CT. Our property tax was $11,000.00+ per year. Down here about $3,900.00 for basically the same size house. Of course we only have .25 of an acre and not the 8+ we had in CT. BIG difference. UC is correct that property taxes are based on the sale price of the house - crazy I know. Our home owners insurance is not bad because we live in central Florida were direct hurricane hits are very rare. Auto insurance is higher, more uninsured drivers, but there is no car tax so its a wash. No income tax is a huge savings!

Reaction Score
With respect, the questions that you pose here are not the correct ones to be asking. They imply an inevitability about retirement as though alternative options do not exist. Is this prospect being forced on you because of your particular circumstances? I love retirement, but it is most assuredly NOT for everyone. And why does the question about a habitat relocation necessarily arise?
As I said, I LOVE retirement...for me. But I have friends who are retired who never should have chosen to do so. Are you easily bored? If you're going to sit around in retirement wondering what you're going to do with yourself every day, you're going to hate it, I promise! The happiest retirees are people who really enjoyed their careers, and who genuinely miss their former occupation, but who want the time to explore new, usually creative options. They are happy with their lives and happy with where they reside, and happy with their social circle, but simply want more spontaneity in their lives. If you're not pleased with those things now, it's frankly unlikely that a move is going to fundamentally change that reality (sorry).
One need not be wealthy to retire, but one's assets must be sufficient to allow for a desired lifestyle without perseverating all the time about money...otherwise, what's the point? Some of my happiest friends are in their eighties and still go to work every day. I'm not trying to be harsh here, but ask yourself the right questions, my friend.
I get bored very easily so I'll have to have something to do every day, be it a part-time job or a volunteer opportunity. I guess it's an idea being foisted on me really - about relocating. For some reason I feel like I'm supposed to move..lol. Although all the posts make me want to look at St. George, UT. I do love it out west. I think this whole thing would be a lot easier to consider if I wasn't alone.

Reaction Score
When I'm retired. I want to live under a rock. :)
But seriously, I'm working to get a TC, throw it on the back of my pickup.
I'll be traveling from camp site to camp site during the Winter.
For the Summer time I really don't know yet.
But, I heard there's a place in AZ that's is very high in elevation that is doable to live not to hot. I'll be interested to check it out. I can't think of a name right now.
Several places fit that bill. Flagstaff is a small and nice city at something like 8,000 feet. A whole lot of snow in the winter. More doable is Prescott, at about a mile in elevation. Still snow, but it melts almost immediately. Quiet in the winter but tons of festivals and crafts shows the rest of the year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ever live in the west?? St George, Utah is a place I've always liked - its in the desert, hot but dry - lots of retirees in the area - great jumping off point for hiking, rafting, photography etc.

And The Postman will always visit. Sorry, you all know I can't pass on such an opportunity.

Reaction Score
Nan - we live about 1.5 hours from Tampa/ St. Pete/ Clearwater and about 2+ from Jacksonville. Been to both. We prefer the Tampa area. First, weather is warmer year round than Jacksonville. Tampa is also on the Gulf coast and not the East coast. Warmer waters year round. Since its Florida, hurricanes are a major concern. Tampa does not have as many hurricanes as the east coast - from lifetime Floridians. We've only experienced two - Matthew and Irma. If you are a sports fan, Tampa has it all over Jacksonville. Tampa Bay Bucs for the NFL, Tampa Bay Rays for baseball, Tampa Lighting for hockey and of course USF for college sports. There is a very rich baseball history and traditions in Tampa. Tampa has a lot of "tourist" attractions and we hear the night life/ restaurants is excellent. When in Tampa, you have to visit Ybor City - built on the cigar industry and populated by Cubans, Spanish and Italians immigrants during its formative years. Obviously, if you are a golfer there is no shortage of public and private golf courses.

Housing depends on the neighborhoods you look in and whether you like a regular neighborhood or a 55+ neighborhood/ community. I would definitely recommend have a local realtor. We did and it was well worth it! Can't speak to job prospects as we have created our own within our community and local area. Enjoy the search!
I did a ton or research about air and water temperatures all across places in FL wen we were considering moving here. I wanted a place where we could go in the water as close to year-round as possible.

What we found is that while in general, the Gulf of Mexico is warmer than the Atlantic, from Vero Beach south along the Atlantic you really can swim year-round, which is how we wound up living where we live. We visited been Christmas and New Year's, and on a December 27, I found myself wading thigh-deep in the ocean, and I thought, "I could get used to this," and I did. Anyway, when I looked at the statistics, I found that the winter ocean temperatures at the Atlantic beaches like Fort Pierce were warmer than those at St. Pete Beach, on the Gulf of Mexico. In fact, the average temperature at that beach in January is 64, in February is 67 and in March is 69. I used to endure those temperatures in New England when I was younger, but I'm not about to now. To the best of my knowledge -- and this is typical -- the average did not drop below 70 (my minimum comfort level) at Fort Pierce except for a couple of weeks when we had a cold snap. I know it's counterintuitive, but there it is.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Now I'll give you a serious plug for Bozeman, MT area, where I live. No sales tax, but who is to say what tomorrow brings. Yes, up to 6.5% state income tax. Got a lot of complicated health issues, stay away, because some of those are best handle elsewhere. If you like the outdoor and your soul needs feeding, consider it. Making friends, no matter where you are, is as easy as you make it, no matter your age. There are adult groups everywhere, and certainly here in a wide range of hobbies/activities.

Bozeman has been rated high for quite a while in those magazine/internet best places to retire. Had nothing to do with what got me here about a decade before that benighted publicity started pounding us in my paradise, Gallatin County. Fish, horses and wide open spaces (room to make a big mistake...ooops, I digress into Dixie Chicks), a sky astronomers die for, the mournful cry of a coyote and the western wind singing you a lullaby. Plus about every big box store and bad food franchise you can name. Oh, and there is just 1 place in the valley that makes a decent bagel. There is no good Italian restaurant within 400 miles minimum, but Bozeman is a University town growing and full of ethnic restaurants that come and mostly go like the wind. Theatre production, music, adult education etc is here.

Irritable old bugger that I am I mostly hang out with the antelope and mule deer and try to avoid the pumas, lynx, bobcat, and coyote feeding parties. Love to see and hear those buggers from a distance.

Please don't come. We have enough of us here now. ;)

PS. Cost of living in certainly not cheap and real estate is only cheap by CT standards.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People always worry about taxes and cost of living and ..., but I think the first question to ask is 'do you like where you live now and do you have good friends and a good support group around you.' The grass is not always greener, and the cost of living isn't usually that important unless you're talking trying to live in SF or NYC. It is a lot easier keeping friends than building new relationships, especially with no work environment to help promote them.

And in a lot of cases you end up paying the same in the end - I lived in FL with zero income tax but got nailed in property taxes sales taxes and insurance premiums, so unless I was making a lot of money each year it was probably the same as living in CT and paying the income tax.

As far as the NE, if cost of living is your thing, NH with no sales tax nor income tax is the first choice if you like winter weather.

I think all of the posts comparing Ct. to other states have summarized the cost part of the decision pretty well. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is Ct is one of only 5 states that taxes your pension. That is why so many police, firemen, teachers and government workers end up retiring outside of Ct. Don't overlook the cost of this item.
I do not understand the comments about Florida taxing on the last sales price. In Palm Beach County we are reassessed every year based on valuations of the area. Our assessment[and our taxes] actually went down significantly after the 2008 financial crises. Somehow I don't remember that happening in Ct.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Several places fit that bill. Flagstaff is a small and nice city at something like 8,000 feet. A whole lot of snow in the winter. More doable is Prescott, at about a mile in elevation. Still snow, but it melts almost immediately. Quiet in the winter but tons of festivals and crafts shows the rest of the year.
Prescott seems nice. We visited a friend of my wife and saw a show at Yavapi College. It struck me that (between Prescott and Prescott Valley (if I have the name right)) there was one of about every chain that you could want, plus the downtown was quite quaint.

Reaction Score
Prescott seems nice. We visited a friend of my wife and saw a show at Yavapi College. It struck me that (between Prescott and Prescott Valley (if I have the name right)) there was one of about every chain that you could want, plus the downtown was quite quaint.
That's pretty accurate, although I'm told their Sam's Club closed down this year. I'm not a fan of Prescott Valley Seems to me to be the place you have to endure to get to Prescott), but Prescott itself has a lot of charm. There still are a lot of ranchers, and on a Friday night you'll see them come into places along Whiskey Row (the nightclub and saloon district) in their fancy Western outfits and cowboy hats.

When we lived in AZ our full-time home was Tempe, in the Valley, where temperatures could get to 120 in the summer, so we bought a fifth wheel and located it in a 55+ RV park in Prescott. We got to know the area pretty well. The people there are very friendly, but extraordinarily conservative politically. I got into a discussion with a guy one night who kept insisting that the YMCA was a communist front. Really. Sometimes, you can't make this stuff up.,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom