OT - Rashad McCants says he took fake classes, tutors wrote his papers | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT - Rashad McCants says he took fake classes, tutors wrote his papers

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Opening those classes to let 25% regular students in was evil brilliance.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...lding-firm-allegations-unc-coach-roy-williams

Roy:

"We have a very defined system here at the University of North Carolina," he said. "I have somewhat control over the basketball program. I don't have control over the academic side. But the academic side and our athletic director and our president want me to emphasize that academic side every single day, and they want our players to understand that. ...

"They want us to be concerned and to emphasize it but they don't want us to step over to the academic side. They don't want that to happen."

The Carolina way.

Reaction Score
Entire fake departments set up to keep athletes eligible and keep teams in good standing? Really? You think that happens most places?
The department wasn't created for athletes to get an easy A, it was meant to teach regular students about a different culture, however the athletes were smart enough to figure out that they could abuse the system. If you don't think that athletes of all sports, at all major colleges aren't doing the same, then you're highly naive.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think McCants did a good job with his interview and gained credibility. Hard to take the response that the whole basketball program was oblivious. First, he was a star and he screamed out for the staff to be concerned. Plus, don't they have an education coordinator like we do? Will anyone question him?

Reaction Score
I feel sympathy for people who earned degrees from UNC in Afro-American and African Studies. Its fun to pick on someone else's sports teams, but for those students this is a resume debacle up there with Child Guidance majors from Penn State.

Reaction Score
The fact that his team mates have come out against him hurts, but let's remember that most of them have AAS A's bolstering their records at NC.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The fact that his team mates have come out against him hurts, but let's remember that most of them have AAS A's bolstering their records at NC.

And none of them want a NC taken away from them.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Yeah, there are/were some "guts" - DRM, Allied Health come to mind ... They weren't hard to get a decent grade in w/I much too much effort, but you did have to show up and do some work (a good amount to Ace it - as every course was on a bell curve so some folks got crappy grades.)

Big difference in having gut or two (or three) to balance out the harder semesters, to having an entire major that is composed of nothing but pushover courses!

All schools have easier courses in most majors (at least relatively) & these courses are widely (& strategically) taken by most students.

This entire major appears to be athletes only - UNC is a very good school - and my guess is that no student deserving of (academic) admission would stoop to this... I could be wrong, but that's my hunch.
I took that DRM class in 1982, truthfully, to give myself a break from an otherwise very challenging Engineering curriculum. But, that course did require assignments and multiple tests and actually gave practical advice that has helped me much more over the years than many of the more difficult classes...no comparison to the UNC Shenanigans!

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
What is DRM? Don't think it existed when the dinosaurs and I were at UCONN.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
What is DRM? Don't think it existed when the dinosaurs and I were at UCONN.
I couldn't find it in the current catalog...perhaps that acronym is not quite right?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I took that DRM class in 1982, truthfully, to give myself a break from an otherwise very challenging Engineering curriculum. But, that course did require assignments and multiple tests and actually gave practical advise that has helped me much more over the years than many of the more difficult classes...no comparison to the UNC Shenanigans!

I took Air Rifle Marksmanship my last Senior year in the old ROTC hangar. Yes, it was an easy class and I did get an A; but, I did have to show-up and actually hit the damn target.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I took Air Rifle Marksmanship my last Senior year in the old ROTC hangar. Yes, it was an easy class and I did get an A; but, I did have to show-up and actually hit the damn target.

For your average ROTC, that's got to be a pretty important life skill.

Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead said:

That was probably a 1 credit elective - I took horseback riding.

DRM, I believe, stands for Design & Resource Mgmt.

Reaction Score
The only automatic A class where all you had to do was show up was called First Year Experience or something like that. I don't know if they still do it but I'm pretty sure it was a requirement for Freshmen when I was there. It was a one credit class that talked about the resources, clubs, ect. at UConn, at least that is how I remember it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wesw1963

Top Bottom