OT: Problem with Tow Company after accident (can I take any action) | The Boneyard

OT: Problem with Tow Company after accident (can I take any action)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am hoping maybe some of the people on here could give me some advice as to if there is any legal action or other options I have after having an unreasonable experience with Crown Auto in New Haven. 388 Crown St. I have already sent emails about my complaint to state representatives and the Mayor of New Haven in an attempt to have legislature drafted to protect others in the future from having to go through what I went through.

So on Friday night, August 7, at about 6:30 PM I was heading home from work traveling on Ella T Grasso Boulevard and was passing through the intersection of Kimberly when a car from the other direction took a left in front of me and hit me head on. As a result of the accident my vehicle was undriveable and the driver of the other vehicle left in an ambulance before I was able to get her name and insurance information. The police officers did a great job (Office Ryan Hall and J Galvin). They called tow trucks to remove both disabled vehicles. Crown Towing was the company that towed my vehicle and after they hooked the vehicle they took off without even asking if I needed to remove any items from my vehicle. Officer Hall provided me with the vehicle tow sheet that showed where the car was towed and told me I could go there to get anything I needed from the vehicle.

On Saturday, I was experiencing bad headaches and went to Yale Medical in Guilford to be checked out. I was diagnosed with Acute Post Tramautic Headaches (mild concussion). As a result, I asked my father to go take care of my vehicle for me as I wanted to rest. He went to Crown Towing and paid the Tow charge along with the 1 day storage fee and told them he was going to have another garage come to take the vehicle. Crown was not too happy and gave him a hard time saying it was a total so why not just leave it with them and let them take care of it. My father told them it was not their choice it was mine and someone would be coming to take the vehicle. At this point all my dues were settled. Crown was told that when the tow truck came to pick up the vehicle that any other storage fees would be settled by the tow truck driver before taking the vehicle.

On Monday, August 10, I went to Crown Towing to try to retrieve personal items that I needed from my vehicle. My garage had not come to pick up the vehicle yet as they were going to wait til after the weekend. I went to the yard and told them I was there to get personal items that were in my vehicle. They told me they WOULD NOT ALLOW ME TO TAKE ANYTHING OUT OF MY CAR. I told them they were my personal items and they had no right to hold my items. They had the right to hold my car but not my personal items in my vehicle that they never gave me a chance to take out before they left the scene of the accident. It got into a heated verbal argument with them telling me I had to pay the 2 days storage extra before they would let me get my personal items. All I wanted was my golf clubs in the trunk, my company credit card (gas card) that I am liable for, and the keys for the company van I use at work. They refused to let me retrieve these things.

I then called the New Haven police and explained to them that I as in an accident, it was the other parties fault, and I had paid my tow fee but Crown was refusing to let me take my personal items out of the vehicle. They sent 2 officers down (very young and assuming newish) and they said they receive multiple calls a week complaining about Crown and they operate their way and the only thing they could do was mediate the situation. The cops were not much of a help and after a half hour of going back and forth I was forced to pay for the 2 days extra storage just to have an opportunity to retrieve my items that Crown was holding hostage. They extorted me in my opinion. But it doesn't end here. After paying the 2 days storage they still refused to let me retrieve my items from the vehicle and told me I could not get my personal items until my tow/garage company took the vehicle out of their yard. I was furious and the cops mediated to have Crown put the car in the street in a parking spot that had a meter as that was the only way Crown would allow me to get my personal items. Crown then informed me that if the car was not picked up by a certain time they would put it back into their yard and charge me a tow fee again.

This business practice is totally unacceptable. I was the victim of someone hitting my vehicle. I was not towed for parking illegal or unpaid tickets or unpaid taxes. My car was taken without Crown asking if I needed anything out of it and then they extorted and strong armed me to force to pay just to get my items that Officer Hall had said I could retrieve. I have no idea why Crown continues to have their towing contract renewed with the City of New Haven as there have been complaints and protests about their practices and operating procedures for many many years. I know a few guys in the towing/wrecking business and they all say Crown are some of the biggest dirtbags in the state. They have an IN with the New Haven Police department apparently.

It is aggravating and disheartening that a business such as Crown gets away with taking advantage and treating someone, such as myself, in the situation I was in the way they did. They had no right to hold my personal items yet they act as if they are. That is theft, extortion, and strong arming in my personal opinion. I was not taking the car or trying to scam them. I had already paid the tow fee and 1 day storage and my garage was going to pay the other storage fees when they picked up the vehicle.

Was Crown well in their rights with their actions? Is there any type of consumer protection or any legal actions I can take against them for the aggravation, time wasted, having to pay for my own items that I dont even believe they had the right to withhold from me?

Reaction Score
No one who works for a towing company isn't human garbage. You got hosed.

Reaction Score
Anyone can sue, whether you win or lose depends. If I were you I would sue them in small claims court just to harass them as they harassed you. Hopefully you have a cause of action, otherwise you just lose Your filing fee and some time. If they indeed over charged you then it should be a no brainer. The reason they have a contract with new haven is that they obviously grease the pockets of certain city officials as they are definitely known to be some of the biggest crooks.

Reaction Score
No one who works for a towing company isn't human garbage. You got hosed.

Well aware I got hosed. The 2 officers did nothing for me at the scene. Kept telling me it was his yard his rules. I don't think they had a full grasp of the laws or the situation and from talking to people the city of new haven police and crown are very friendly with each other.

They protect their activities and business practices it seems. I'm not sure if they are the sole contract for towing but they have had the contact with the city for years.

Part of me thinks this may have violated my 4th ammendment rights. Crown illegally sized my personal property and wouldn't release it to me.

Reaction Score
Very happy to hear you are ok. Tow truck companies suck but at the same time think of the people (unlike you) they continually need to deal with. Having said that this is all wrong and I wish you well in finding a solution.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Don't waste any more time or energy fighting with the tow company. Whether you have a technical claim or not, it will never be worth it to pursue it against the tow company.

Presumably you will be making a personal injury claim as a result of the injuries you suffered in the accident. Let the lawyer you retain for that claim know about the money you spent and headaches you had getting your car and belongings from the tow company and make it part of your claim for damages against the other driver (and possibly against your own uninsured/underinsured coverage if the other driver does not have any/enough coverage). Just make sure you don't release that aspect of your claim if you settle up the property damage claim with the other driver's insurance company, which you should be able to do on your own. Make sure your lawyer reviews anything you sign, even if you are resolving the property damage claim on your own.

Good luck. Focus on getting better and let your lawyer handle the other headaches.

Reaction Score
Well aware I got hosed. The 2 officers did nothing for me at the scene. Kept telling me it was his yard his rules. I don't think they had a full grasp of the laws or the situation and from talking to people the city of new haven police and crown are very friendly with each other.

They protect their activities and business practices it seems. I'm not sure if they are the sole contract for towing but they have had the contact with the city for years.

Part of me thinks this may have violated my 4th ammendment rights. Crown illegally sized my personal property and wouldn't release it to me.
New Haven News 8 (WTNH) has an investigative team. Not sure what your objectiveis or end result you are looking for, but they may have received complaints about the towing company from others and may be interested. If anything you at least did something (taking action), beyond complaining and 'staying' frustrated.

A phone call/email would be an option, other than that like @8893 suggested its probably best to move on, and warn friends and Yarders like you have done.

Linky

Reaction Score
New Haven News 8 (WTNH) has an investigative team. Not sure what your objectiveis or end result you are looking for, but they may have received complaints about the towing company from others and may be interested. If anything you at least did something (taking action), beyond complaining and 'staying' frustrated.

A phone call/email would be an option, other than that like @8893 suggested its probably best to move on, and warn friends and Yarders like you have done.

Linky

Unfortunately, tow companies don't care about bad reputations because their 'customers' are largely involuntary. There's a reason that they have bulletproof glass in their offices, and it's not just because they deal in cash.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, tow companies don't care about bad reputations because their 'customers' are largely involuntary. There's a reason that they have bulletproof glass in their offices, and it's not just because they deal in cash.
Didn't know that, but from that fake reality show I can see why.

Reaction Score
I used to handle auto claims- both property and injury and can give you some insight. The tow company is trying to get as many days of storage as possible for the vehicle. If the vehicle is in fact totaled in most cases the insurance company will only pay for 1 tow but they should also reimburse any out of pocket storage fees (reasonable storage). They shouldn't have had you pay any fees as the tow company/shop picking it up would pay the fee to present to the insurance adjuster. Either way I'm sure you can get reimbursed for the out of pocket fee's through your insurance or the at fault driver if their insurance has already accepted 100% liability. I doubt you can take any action specifically against the tow shop other than filing the complaints you already have. They can come up with excuses like they didn't want to chance you abandoning the vehicle after taking your belongings etc. Morally its wrong but legally I don't think much action can be taken.

Also to touch on the injury portion only get an attorney if it's something serious. Otherwise they'll just take a third of your settlement for doing something you can easily handle on your own. The at fault driver should pay for any medical costs and you have the right to a pain/suffering claim. Don't expect it to be a large number unless it's truly serious. In CT they can not offer you an injury settlement until 2 weeks post accident and in most cases will only offer if you explain that you are no longer seeking treatment. In most cases you will have to sign a release but in minor cases they will just send the check. If you have any other specific questions though feel free to pm me.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Your time is better spent elsewhere - it's not worth the time and aggravation.

If anything, pursue reimbursement from insurance.

Reaction Score
Im sorry man I have been there before and it does suck, the best thing you can do is do what you have to do to get out of it and let your insurance and lawyer deal with the rest, even though you do feel like putting a fist through their skull, its just not worth it. Karma will catch up with them one way or another those guys are the scum of the earth, its just not worth it. Best of luck, hope you can move on from this and get some type of closure.

Reaction Score
Thanks for all the responses and advice.

Thankfully I'm fine as things could have been worse. Headaches aren't as bad now as they were the day after the 2 days after. Still have less severe headaches but it's aggravating as it's just constant subtle headache with some light sensativity. Still feel little foggy and not as clear headed/sharp.

Things seem to get little better everyday thankfully

Reaction Score
I am hoping maybe some of the people on here could give me some advice as to if there is any legal action or other options I have after having an unreasonable experience with Crown Auto in New Haven. 388 Crown St. I have already sent emails about my complaint to state representatives and the Mayor of New Haven in an attempt to have legislature drafted to protect others in the future from having to go through what I went through.

So on Friday night, August 7, at about 6:30 PM I was heading home from work traveling on Ella T Grasso Boulevard and was passing through the intersection of Kimberly when a car from the other direction took a left in front of me and hit me head on. As a result of the accident my vehicle was undriveable and the driver of the other vehicle left in an ambulance before I was able to get her name and insurance information. The police officers did a great job (Office Ryan Hall and J Galvin). They called tow trucks to remove both disabled vehicles. Crown Towing was the company that towed my vehicle and after they hooked the vehicle they took off without even asking if I needed to remove any items from my vehicle. Officer Hall provided me with the vehicle tow sheet that showed where the car was towed and told me I could go there to get anything I needed from the vehicle.

On Saturday, I was experiencing bad headaches and went to Yale Medical in Guilford to be checked out. I was diagnosed with Acute Post Tramautic Headaches (mild concussion). As a result, I asked my father to go take care of my vehicle for me as I wanted to rest. He went to Crown Towing and paid the Tow charge along with the 1 day storage fee and told them he was going to have another garage come to take the vehicle. Crown was not too happy and gave him a hard time saying it was a total so why not just leave it with them and let them take care of it. My father told them it was not their choice it was mine and someone would be coming to take the vehicle. At this point all my dues were settled. Crown was told that when the tow truck came to pick up the vehicle that any other storage fees would be settled by the tow truck driver before taking the vehicle.

On Monday, August 10, I went to Crown Towing to try to retrieve personal items that I needed from my vehicle. My garage had not come to pick up the vehicle yet as they were going to wait til after the weekend. I went to the yard and told them I was there to get personal items that were in my vehicle. They told me they WOULD NOT ALLOW ME TO TAKE ANYTHING OUT OF MY CAR. I told them they were my personal items and they had no right to hold my items. They had the right to hold my car but not my personal items in my vehicle that they never gave me a chance to take out before they left the scene of the accident. It got into a heated verbal argument with them telling me I had to pay the 2 days storage extra before they would let me get my personal items. All I wanted was my golf clubs in the trunk, my company credit card (gas card) that I am liable for, and the keys for the company van I use at work. They refused to let me retrieve these things.

I then called the New Haven police and explained to them that I as in an accident, it was the other parties fault, and I had paid my tow fee but Crown was refusing to let me take my personal items out of the vehicle. They sent 2 officers down (very young and assuming newish) and they said they receive multiple calls a week complaining about Crown and they operate their way and the only thing they could do was mediate the situation. The cops were not much of a help and after a half hour of going back and forth I was forced to pay for the 2 days extra storage just to have an opportunity to retrieve my items that Crown was holding hostage. They extorted me in my opinion. But it doesn't end here. After paying the 2 days storage they still refused to let me retrieve my items from the vehicle and told me I could not get my personal items until my tow/garage company took the vehicle out of their yard. I was furious and the cops mediated to have Crown put the car in the street in a parking spot that had a meter as that was the only way Crown would allow me to get my personal items. Crown then informed me that if the car was not picked up by a certain time they would put it back into their yard and charge me a tow fee again.

This business practice is totally unacceptable. I was the victim of someone hitting my vehicle. I was not towed for parking illegal or unpaid tickets or unpaid taxes. My car was taken without Crown asking if I needed anything out of it and then they extorted and strong armed me to force to pay just to get my items that Officer Hall had said I could retrieve. I have no idea why Crown continues to have their towing contract renewed with the City of New Haven as there have been complaints and protests about their practices and operating procedures for many many years. I know a few guys in the towing/wrecking business and they all say Crown are some of the biggest dirtbags in the state. They have an IN with the New Haven Police department apparently.

It is aggravating and disheartening that a business such as Crown gets away with taking advantage and treating someone, such as myself, in the situation I was in the way they did. They had no right to hold my personal items yet they act as if they are. That is theft, extortion, and strong arming in my personal opinion. I was not taking the car or trying to scam them. I had already paid the tow fee and 1 day storage and my garage was going to pay the other storage fees when they picked up the vehicle.

Was Crown well in their rights with their actions? Is there any type of consumer protection or any legal actions I can take against them for the aggravation, time wasted, having to pay for my own items that I dont even believe they had the right to withhold from me?
New Haven is a Sanctuary city which gives drivers licenses to illegals. Most likely that the other driver was uninsured. Turn thing over to your insurance company and their lawyers. Be thankful you were not seriously injured. By the way, after living in New Haven for most of our adult lives, the quality of life issues reached the point that we moved to West Haven.

Reaction Score
New Haven is a Sanctuary city which gives drivers licenses to illegals. Most likely that the other driver was uninsured. Turn thing over to your insurance company and their lawyers. Be thankful you were not seriously injured. By the way, after living in New Haven for most of our adult lives, the quality of life issues reached the point that we moved to West Haven.

I wish the accident had occurred in west haven. Would have had zero issues. I know Brunos and Roberts towing pretty well

Reaction Score
Almost makes you a little sympathetic to Britt McHenry and her incident with a towing company.

Reaction Score
Also to touch on the injury portion only get an attorney if it's something serious. Otherwise they'll just take a third of your settlement for doing something you can easily handle on your own.
I disagree with this advice - a good attorney will be worth the 1/3. I've seen initial insurance offers at 30k end up being over 100k on the eve of trial. Plaintiff's cut goes from 30k to 67k just by hiring a lawyer. 1/3 is a third, whether it's minor or major - that's why I don't agree with your advice. If it was by the hour, then maybe a different result.

I'm not interested in defending tow companies, in general, but their two options are:
1. Get money up front.
or
2. Be a bill collector and never get paid.

Lawyer asks for money up front, nobody bats an eye. Tow company asks for money before releasing car, "well then everyone loses their minds."
Somebody above already wrote this, and I concur - the tow company was worried that you'd take your personal valuables and then abandon the vehicle, and then they become a bill collector and they never get paid. Would that be fair to them?Problem is this - they don't know whether the car was insured, and they don't know that they're getting paid.
I have a friend who runs a local towing company. He doesn't tow illegally parked cars and that kind of thing. Just accidents, break downs, and the like. He's a great guy who spent 20 years getting out of bed at 2 am to tow people out of ditches. They'd get pissed he'd charge 100 bucks and give him crap. At 2 am. In the snow. For vehicles he towed back, he'd have every manner of scumbag trying to recover their vehicles without paying him. This happened, as well, for vehicles that he serviced and repaired.

Was it really worth yelling and screaming for some golf clubs and a gas card? Really? Life's too short already. Why get into it with the JYDs at the scrap yard? They just did their job. They went out to the accident site on short notice. They cleaned up the area and towed your car. They stored it. Why should they have to bear the risk of not getting paid?

Ultimately, you were free to pay them their fee at any time and take your vehicle. That's the key to this whole thing. If you wanted your vehicle, all you needed to do was to pay their fee and take the darn thing! Your response to that is, "but it was Friday, and my guy wasn't available until Monday. And then he wasn't available to later in the day Monday." But how is that the tower's fault? Why should they risk not getting paid because your guy isn't available until Monday.

I know people will hate this post because people hate tow companies, but the fact is, you handled it quite poorly. Regarding the law regarding your personal items, I don't know what it is. But for a set of golf clubs and a credit card, it wasn't worth causing such a big fuss, whether or not they could legally hold the contents of the vehicle. - BTW - I concur with above posters - let it go and get on with your life.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Almost makes you a little sympathetic to Britt McHenry and her incident with a towing company.
Not at all different circumstances. She parked illegally admitted she did and was mad she got towed

Reaction Score
I disagree with this advice - a good attorney will be worth the 1/3. I've seen initial insurance offers at 30k end up being over 100k on the eve of trial. Plaintiff's cut goes from 30k to 67k just by hiring a lawyer. 1/3 is a third, whether it's minor or major - that's why I don't agree with your advice. If it was by the hour, then maybe a different result.

I'm not interested in defending tow companies, in general, but their two options are:
1. Get money up front.
or
2. Be a bill collector and never get paid.

Lawyer asks for money up front, nobody bats an eye. Tow company asks for money before releasing car, "well then everyone loses their minds."
Somebody above already wrote this, and I concur - the tow company was worried that you'd take your personal valuables and then abandon the vehicle, and then they become a bill collector and they never get paid. Would that be fair to them?Problem is this - they don't know whether the car was insured, and they don't know that they're getting paid.
I have a friend who runs a local towing company. He doesn't tow illegally parked cars and that kind of thing. Just accidents, break downs, and the like. He's a great guy who spent 20 years getting out of bed at 2 am to tow people out of ditches. They'd get pissed he'd charge 100 bucks and give him crap. At 2 am. In the snow. For vehicles he towed back, he'd have every manner of scumbag trying to recover their vehicles without paying him. This happened, as well, for vehicles that he serviced and repaired.

Was it really worth yelling and screaming for some golf clubs and a gas card? Really? Life's too short already. Why get into it with the JYDs at the scrap yard? They just did their job. They went out to the accident site on short notice. They cleaned up the area and towed your car. They stored it. Why should they have to bear the risk of not getting paid?

Ultimately, you were free to pay them their fee at any time and take your vehicle. That's the key to this whole thing. If you wanted your vehicle, all you needed to do was to pay their fee and take the darn thing! Your response to that is, "but it was Friday, and my guy wasn't available until Monday. And then he wasn't available to later in the day Monday." But how is that the tower's fault? Why should they risk not getting paid because your guy isn't available until Monday.

I know people will hate this post because people hate tow companies, but the fact is, you handled it quite poorly. Regarding the law regarding your personal items, I don't know what it is. But for a set of golf clubs and a credit card, it wasn't worth causing such a big fuss, whether or not they could legally hold the contents of the vehicle. - BTW - I concur with above posters - let it go and get on with your life.

Guess you're reading comprehension isn't up to par.

They were paid the next day for the tow fee and 1 day storage. $200.

They left the scene without even asking if I needed anything out of the vehicle.

The officer told me I could get my things out.

My car is worth over 15k so if I never came back guess who wins out. The doors, quarter panels, scrap, seats, stereo all worth more than the belongings I took out. Not mention the tires had less than 5k on them just spent close to 800 for 4 tires and alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom