OT: Problem with Tow Company after accident (can I take any action) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Problem with Tow Company after accident (can I take any action)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Forgot to add after being paid the 2 days storage they still refused to let me retrieve my items. They said not until the vehicle was removed.

Every tow truck driver I know says what they did was wrong. You ask before towing it away if they need anything out of the vehicle first especially when the other driver was the one at fault

Reaction Score
And crown absolutely did not clean the accident scene up. The new haven fire department did.

All crown did was hook my vehicle ask me for my key and took off like a bandit

Reaction Score
And crown absolutely did not clean the accident scene up. The new haven fire department did.

All crown did was hook my vehicle ask me for my key and took off like a bandit
The more you post the more I'm glad all you got was a headache from the crash. It sounds serious. Please don't allow Crown to give you another one. Ten years from now you will remember surviving the crash, and forgetting the Crown experience.

You could not be posting here, so I'm glad we didn't lose a fan.

I tell people its like being rescued from a sunken boat and then seeing you're luggage floating, and risking your health trying to retrieve it in the water.

Reaction Score
Don't waste any more time or energy fighting with the tow company. Whether you have a technical claim or not, it will never be worth it to pursue it against the tow company.

Presumably you will be making a personal injury claim as a result of the injuries you suffered in the accident. Let the lawyer you retain for that claim know about the money you spent and headaches you had getting your car and belongings from the tow company and make it part of your claim for damages against the other driver (and possibly against your own uninsured/underinsured coverage if the other driver does not have any/enough coverage). Just make sure you don't release that aspect of your claim if you settle up the property damage claim with the other driver's insurance company, which you should be able to do on your own. Make sure your lawyer reviews anything you sign, even if you are resolving the property damage claim on your own.

Good luck. Focus on getting better and let your lawyer handle the other headaches.

That is why they keep doing this to people that think like you. Alot of people let it go and they know it.

Reaction Score
Guess you're reading comprehension isn't up to par.
I get by.

They were paid the next day for the tow fee and 1 day storage. $200.
Dude. I got it. I completely understood the fact pattern.
So you walk in. They don't know you from Adam. You pay them 200 bucks. But you weren't removing the vehicle from storage that day. See? I got it. They correctly assessed that there would be further storage fees, and it was those fees that they were concerned about. Heartless? Probably. Immoral? Likely. A terrible way to behave to somebody who just got in a wreck? Certainly. But it might be the only way they ensure they get paid, and so it's good business.

You say your car was worth X$ and such and such. So what? Let's suppose you had missed an insurance payment and the car was upside down on the loan. Maybe you're filing bankruptcy in a week. I can think of multiple reasons why you might get your stuff and never come back. And they don't necessarily know you're the free and clear owner. And let me guess - they wouldn't take a personal check, right? Cash in hand when you remove, or they don't know they're getting paid.

So how has the getting fired up and writing letters gone for you so far?

Sorry you got cut off. Sorry you are injured. Sorry they were jerks to you. Best advice I have ever seen given - You don't win by wasting your time, energy, and karma on chasing these dogs and writing feckless letters. "You win by living well."

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That is why they keep doing this to people that think like you. Alot of people let it go and they know it.
They don't keep doing this to people that think like me. They do it to everyone. In more than 20 years of experience helping people in these situations I have never seen anyone get relief or satisfaction from a tow company, but I have seen plenty of people do what I suggested and have good success.

You want to bang your head against a wall, knock yourself out.

Reaction Score
Well aware I got hosed. The 2 officers did nothing for me at the scene. Kept telling me it was his yard his rules. I don't think they had a full grasp of the laws or the situation and from talking to people the city of new haven police and crown are very friendly with each other.

They protect their activities and business practices it seems. I'm not sure if they are the sole contract for towing but they have had the contact with the city for years.

Part of me thinks this may have violated my 4th ammendment rights. Crown illegally sized my personal property and wouldn't release it to me.

Only the government can violate your 4th amendment rights, not private enterprises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom