OT: Poll--Who are you taking #1 in the draft? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Poll--Who are you taking #1 in the draft?

Who should the Celtics take #1 in the draft?

• Markelle Fultz

Votes: 122 78.2%
  • Lonzo Ball

Votes: 12 7.7%
  • Josh Jackson

Votes: 13 8.3%
  • Jayson Tatum

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I do agree with SWHusky that the Fultz hype would be pretty huge right now if he had gone to a big name program

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say he has NO weaknesses, but I get what you mean.

From what I've seen his perceived weaknesses are some carelessness with the ball, lack of super-elite athleticism. He's not the first down the court, and athletic defenders could give him fits. That lack of first step, and also some effort issues, were part of what made him an iffy defender in college. He got burned pretty often.

Then there's the intagibles: can he lead a team? How will the veterans on a Celtics (I assume) team accept him? Does he have the drive to work to be great? Tough to say.
Don't love the intangibles argument as he's 18 and played on a horrible team, really hard to make much of it either way. I think the complaint on his defense and 1st step could be real, though I've heard things both ways about his athleticism. His length will certainly cover up for some of that.

Reaction Score
Honestly take Fultz this year and keep next years pick for a shot at Ayton or Porter Jr. Ayton is the big prize!! Fultz is IT insurance thus move Rozier or Smart. Finally, sign Hayward unless y'all think Jalen Brown will ascend to that next level.

Boom this GM stuff is easy! *shuts off 2K*

Reaction Score
Don't love the intangibles argument as he's 18 and played on a horrible team, really hard to make much of it either way. I think the complaint on his defense and 1st step could be real, though I've heard things both ways about his athleticism. His length will certainly cover up for some of that.

I think the intangibles part is something that GMs need to try to figure out as best they can in interviews and workouts with the team. The same thing was said about Drummond, and it didn't seem to be true until his regression this year.

As far as first step, that's something hard to know since he didn't go to the combine. It's not like you can overlap his step with an NBA guards on tape and compare--way too many variable for that.

His defense was bad at Washington, that's just a fact. But how much of that (and his motivation intagibles) had to do with being on a godawful team, when he didn't really want to be in college? it's tough to say. He definitely has the physcial profile to be a great defender.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Honestly take Fultz this year and keep next years pick for a shot at Ayton or Porter Jr. Ayton is the big prize!! Fultz is IT insurance thus move Rozier or Smart. Finally, sign Hayward unless y'all think Jalen Brown will ascend to that next level.

Boom this GM stuff is easy! *shuts off 2K*

Hayward and Jalen could play together I think. They'd give up some height at the PF, but that's not as big a deal in today's NBA.

I'd keep both Smart and Rozier, relatively cheap quality role players. It's between Bradley or IT. I would lean to Bradley, if it looks like Fultz will grade out highly.

Reaction Score
Hayward and Jalen could play together I think. They'd give up some height at the PF, but that's not as big a deal in today's NBA.

I'd keep both Smart and Rozier, relatively cheap quality role players. It's between Bradley or IT. I would lean to Bradley, if it looks like Fultz will grade out highly.

"lean" meaning keep or move ? Tough choice here between the two. Bradley is an excellent defender whereas IT is not but IT can create much better than Bradley. Without researching shooting %, I'd guess they are similar, but IT has the advantage in clutch time. It may come down to how you can package them for a max free agent as well as what Ainge thinks is Fultz's ceiling is and if he feels Smart can be a full-time PG. Either way it's a nice problem to have.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
"lean" meaning keep or move ? Tough choice here between the two. Bradley is an excellent defender whereas IT is not but IT can create much better than Bradley. Without researching shooting %, I'd guess they are similar, but IT has the advantage in clutch time. It may come down to how you can package them for a max free agent as well as what Ainge thinks is Fultz's ceiling is and if he feels Smart can be a full-time PG. Either way it's a nice problem to have.

IT is the better player, of that there's no doubt, but Bradley compliments Fultz (if he is to be what they think he is-they'll have a year to evaluate). That's why I'd go with Bradley 3andD two guard. I like Smart for his versatility, strength to guard bigger players, run the show as a back up, get to the hole, hit free throws, occasionally shoot threes, etc.

And yep, it's a great problem to have. Ideally you'd keep everyone, but the money makes that infeasible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom