OT: Poison Ivy Help Needed | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Poison Ivy Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
^ This!

I had poison ivy really bad once when I was a kid and just happened to be going to cape cod about a day after getting it. Spent the day in the ocean and it was essentially gone the next day. You get to play in the ocean and not have to put weird chemicals in or on your body. Win Win. You really have to spend a fair amount of time in the water - at least 4 hours but it will dry it out and the cool water helps with the itching while you're still suffering.

For the stuff still in the yard, napalm.
Amazing how contact with a freakin plant can stir up vivid memories from childhood. What I'm going through now I won't forget in a lifetime.

Reaction Score
I rarely give advice because I don't mind if you people suffer. But I will now because the answer is so easy.

Guy above nailed part of it - Ivarest. But first, wash with this stuff called Technu - it breaks the oils up. Dry and then slather Ivarest.

And this tip I should charge you for - when it starts to itch, go to the kitchen sink and make the water as hot as you can stand. Then throw the ivy-riddled itchy parts under the water til the itching stops.

It's magic.
Thanks for the compassion, very unlike your arse! Suffering is a mild word, in this case its clear torture. The face I make when I scratch is like the joker in Batman, guilty freakin pleasure.

Reaction Score
The poison ivy wash (about $35 - $40 for a small tube) breaks down the residual oil that's still on your skin. Can be at any time during the outbreak. Just used it a couple of weeks ago and it worked real well. Also had prednisone.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Amazing how contact with a freakin plant can stir up vivid memories from childhood. What I'm going through now I won't forget in a lifetime.
I didn't go into detail, but we had a pool so most of the summer I was in a bathing suit and nothing else and lived in the country in Coventry. So after getting out of the pool on a hot day I was playing on a rock wall and climbing a tree both covered in poison ivy. I had it every where - arms, legs, stomach, chest and the worst, the bottom of my feet. Try walking with poison ivy blisters on the bottom of your feet. Trust me - get your ass to the ocean.

Reaction Score
I didn't go into detail, but we had a pool so most of the summer I was in a bathing suit and nothing else and lived in the country in Coventry. So after getting out of the pool on a hot day I was playing on a rock wall and climbing a tree both covered in poison ivy. I had it every where - arms, legs, stomach, chest and the worst, the bottom of my feet. Try walking with poison ivy blisters on the bottom of your feet. Trust me - get your ass to the ocean.
Yeah I live within to miles from the beach, if the weather cooperates I'll go this weekend. What about a salt water bath as an alternative?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Yeah I live within to miles from the beach, if the weather cooperates I'll go this weekend. What about a salt water bath as an alternative?
I sort of remember trying that on a less massive outbreak a few years later and it didn't work as well. I think the biggest problem is that it's really hard to stay in a bathtub for 4+ hours. Plus the heat from the sun opens the pores which I think helps a lot.

Reaction Score
Went to cvs and by luck I asked the pharmacist about some creams on the shelf. She went into the back and got ivy dry super and told me to try it. That was an hour ago. I will keep you posted. Feel like a fool or drug addict paying $40 for zanfel to no relief.

That's the stuff I've used. It stinks, but will dry it out, plus your skin too, but it worked faster than everything else I tried. Creams don't allow the oils to dry out. I think they keep the oils in, if you ask me. Finger crossed for you. Enjoy the smell! LOL

Reaction Score
I have a friend whose son gets it every year...and winds up in the ER...can't even tell you how sick this kid gets...anyways, his doc told his mom to make him take hot showers using dawn dish soap, early and often...dries the oils out...it has been a god send for him. Good luck to you.

Reaction Score
Did my hedges in short sleeves (yeah I know) testing out a new battery operating clippers I brought. Sure enough I brushed up against poison ivy along the bushes. I'm suffering, rash that itches like hell even my arm is swollen. Stuff is popping up on my stomach now. Its like mosquito bites on steroids.

Anyway using cortizone 10, zanfel and the calimine lotion. All temporary fixes it seems. Benedryl purchased yesterday. I'm not supposed to scratch but it feels so fuccin good when I do.

Anyone have any good solutions to stop the itch? Also how long does this sh|t lasts? Its summer time and my arms look like the dude from Fantastic Four.

Also how did you remove your plants/roots? I'm too scared to touch or go near it, especially after all the research I've done lately (e.g. stays on your clothes and tools for over a year). Its some toxic stuff I tell you!
If you're close to the ocean the salt water will dry it out immediately. I get it bad and it works wonders every single time.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Thanks for the compassion, very unlike your arse! Suffering is a mild word, in this case its clear torture. The face I make when I scratch is like the joker in Batman, guilty freakin pleasure.

I hear you.

We built a house in an old apple orchard - I spent the first summer here clearing over an acre of brush and apple trees.

I didn't stumble upon the miracle cure for poison ivy, I actively searched it out because I was on the verge of cutting off limbs.

Do the Technu, do the Ivarest, but the hot water thing is a godsend.

Reaction Score
I have to admit, I discovered Ivarest while on a trip to the Cape in 1991. The combination of salt water and Ivareas may have been the cure but that summer a Great White was patrolling West Dennis and I don't think I ever set foot in the water. I had just turned 18 and ever since, I have been grateful to Ivarest. I haven't needed it since.

Reaction Score
Did my hedges in short sleeves (yeah I know) testing out a new battery operating clippers I brought. Sure enough I brushed up against poison ivy along the bushes. I'm suffering, rash that itches like hell even my arm is swollen. Stuff is popping up on my stomach now. Its like mosquito bites on steroids.

Anyway using cortizone 10, zanfel and the calimine lotion. All temporary fixes it seems. Benedryl purchased yesterday. I'm not supposed to scratch but it feels so fuccin good when I do.

Anyone have any good solutions to stop the itch? Also how long does this sh|t lasts? Its summer time and my arms look like the dude from Fantastic Four.

Also how did you remove your plants/roots? I'm too scared to touch or go near it, especially after all the research I've done lately (e.g. stays on your clothes and tools for over a year). Its some toxic stuff I tell you!
you need a script for PREGNISONE,

Reaction Score

left untreated it will spread and become infected. been there! Pregnisone will clear it up and you should see results after a day or two.

Reaction Score
I get poison ivy much easier now that I'm older and have been exposed to it a bunch of times. Every time I get it now I call my doctor and beg him to prescribe oral prednisone. Gets rid of the itching in less than a day and everything is cleared up in a few days. He used to tell me he had to see me first before prescribing it but now he just orders the prescription without seeing me. I'd call your doctor and tell him it's near your eyes and spreading and beg for prednisone. The only issue is that it's a steroid (like cortisone) so they won't prescribe it more than once every 6 months or so. Good luck.

Reaction Score

im not gonna read this whole thread, but go to your Dr., or clinic, get the shot, take the z PAC, best you can do. Still sucks.

Reaction Score
Poison Ivy is one thing I don't miss about Ct
I was just back there and when I
went hiking up in Roxbury
I completly forgot about it until I walked through some .
Luckily I didn't contact any.
I do have reactions to bug bites ,which I use hydrocortisone plus cream or in combination with Benadryl cream in extreme cases.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Have you tried better genetics?

I never was contagious as a kid so whenever anything went in to poison ivy, poison oak or poison sumac, I was the designated person to fetch the ball/Frisbee/whatever.

Reaction Score
Have you tried better genetics?

I never was contagious as a kid so whenever anything went in to poison ivy, poison oak or poison sumac, I was the designated person to fetch the ball/Frisbee/whatever.
Are you available to remove this vicious stuff from my yard?

Reaction Score
I got poison ivy once in my lifetime, at the time I had it all over my forearms. The hot tub does wonders for it sit in it for half an hour for 2 days it will make a difference, of course use calamine lotion, if you have blisters pop them (I find that fun anyways), put some epsom salt on the on it and calamine lotion afterwards.

Reaction Score
and . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .?
U don't see anything wrong with that?...an EMERGENCY ROOM is not meant for stupid like a rash or runny nose hang nails but yet ppl come in for that...oh wait I get it ...your one of those people who go to the er for stupid crap lol

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I can vouch for Tech Nu and the very hot water. I have a long history with PI and calamine and the 5% and 10% solutions do nothing for me. Steroids work but I thought they only used them when it was systemic
I endorse this fully.

Unfortunately for me if I look at poison ivy I'm in trouble. A few years back I had to replace a section of fence in my back yard and didn't realize there was poison ivy until it was too late. Within a day both forearms seized up beyond anything I could have imagined. Ivarest (which neutralizes the oil) eliminated the problem within a few days. Nothing I've ever used on poison ivy came close to being as good as this.
I also have a long history of crazy sensitivity to poison ivy and can confirm that most topical solutions are useless for me, but the ones that break up and dry the oil are the best you can do without steroids.

For decades I've just gone straight to the steroids which are far, far faster than anything else--but they don't give them out easily unless it's a bad problem. Pills usually, a shot if it's really bad (in your system, as David notes).

Worst I've ever seen for myself and hordes of people happened on Martha's Vineyard in the late 80s. The Wampanoag tribe that resides in Gay Head (now called Aquinnah) held a music festival in a large field overlooking the cliffs and ocean, and they needed to clear the field for the concert area. Did you know that Native Americans don't get poison ivy? They cleared an entire field full of it, reducing it to what looked like grass clippings. Except it wasn't grass--it was poison ivy. The entire field. So everyone laid their blankets, chairs and bodies on a field full of micro-particles of poison ivy. The Martha's Vineyard Hospital had an emergency room full of poison ivy patients for days. I knew it was going to be real trouble for me and demanded the steroid shot. I think that was the last time I had the shot; everything since has obviously been less traumatic, so I've gotten the pills. Mostly I just stay as far away as possible. If I think I have come into contact I either remove and wash all my clothes and shower immediately if I am close enough to home; or I dive in the ocean and scrub the hell out of the affected area.

Good luck.

Reaction Score
"You are going to need a lotion, a Calamine lotion. Poison iv-y-y-y-y, poison iv-y-y-y-y / Late at night while you're sleepin' poison ivy comes / a'creepin' / Arou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ound." Coasters circa 1950's

Reaction Score
The best prevention for poison ivy is to never go into the woods and never do any work in your yard, close all windows and breathe only conditioned air. Emergency walk in clinic if you can't get your doc and medrol dose pack ASAP otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom