OT - Pat's play calling . . . | The Boneyard

OT - Pat's play calling . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I just don't get the play calling this year. Hard to argue with 12 and 4 and AFC championship game with a half dozen key injuries, but it seems that so many times early in games we'd go 1st down run, 2nd down bomb up field (incomplete), 3rd down run too short or incomplete pass and punt.

Today, same thing. Seems like we got away from the 4-10 yard throw and catch game that was so successful for a decade. Not sure if it's a new OC or something, but the bombs weren't working well this year and probably should have been left on the shelf, for the most part.

Reaction Score
I just don't get the play calling this year. Hard to argue with 12 and 4 and AFC championship game with a half dozen key injuries, but it seems that so many times early in games we'd go 1st down run, 2nd down bomb up field (incomplete), 3rd down run too short or incomplete pass and punt.

Today, same thing. Seems like we got away from the 4-10 yard throw and catch game that was so successful for a decade. Not sure if it's a new OC or something, but the bombs weren't working well this year and probably should have been left on the shelf, for the most part.

They have no weapons. Amendola and Edelman alone threaten no one. And once Talib got knocked out of the game, Demaryious Thomas ran wild.

Reaction Score

totally agreed....they never stuck with the running game. Just because it didn't work the first couple of times, abandon it completely? But at the end of the day, their defense just couldn't get off the field. They have to have the worst 3rd-down conversions allowed in the league.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Tough spot today.

I don't think it mattered what they called - they couldn't keep the Broncos off the field and nothing they did on offense mattered until Denver started to play prevent.

Reaction Score
Talib, by the way, was hit on a pick play as he was chasing Thomas.

Reaction Score
Broncos are just the better team, final score wasn't indicative of the drubbing it really was.

Reaction Score
upstater said:
Talib, by the way, was hit on a pick play as he was chasing Thomas.
That almost seemed to be payback for the almost exact same pick which roughed up Rogers chromartie in the series just prior. That certainly ended up being a big play

Reaction Score
But at the end of the day, their defense just couldn't get off the field.
They have no weapons. Amendola and Edelman alone threaten no one.
Ultimately, if the Patriots of the last 10 years are measured by how far they took it with the talent they had, they are probably the greatest franchise ever (over that span), with TB the greatest ever (for a 10 year span).

But I still wonder what motivated the play calling. UconnGB and Fishy are right - we couldn't get their offense off the field.

So . . . all we could hope to do was to keep our offense on the field. Running was probably a no-go from the start. Broncs have good run D.

Why did we not stick with the short pass game? Why did we feel that we needed to throw bombs? To keep them honest?

Ultimately, my minor dissatisfaction with the game was simply that we went for several bombs early and ended up going 3 and out when it was, in my opinion, absolutely critical to stay on the field. I call that bad play calling, even if TB missed a couple of throws early.

They should have (IMO) kept it short and sweet and simply tried to accumulate 1st downs.

Anyway, great year for the Pats. 12 and 4 is a phenomenal result given the injuries and the overall lack of offensive talent. Next

Reaction Score
Pats had a great season considering all the personnel they lost.Brady was terrific. Know it's old news but just can't cry for the Krafts. They get what they deserve.

Reaction Score
Broncos are just the better team, final score wasn't indicative of the drubbing it really was.
Nonsense. Talib going down was huge. Notwithstanding, the Broncos scored about 10 or 12 points less than the average of their last 4 wins. If these teams played 10 times, it could well be 5 and 5. Today, they were the better team, true.

Reaction Score
Ultimately, if the Patriots of the last 10 years are measured by how far they took it with the talent they had, they are probably the greatest franchise ever (over that span), with TB the greatest ever (for a 10 year span).

But I still wonder what motivated the play calling. UconnGB and Fishy are right - we couldn't get their offense off the field.

So . . . all we could hope to do was to keep our offense on the field. Running was probably a no-go from the start. Broncs have good run D.

Why did we not stick with the short pass game? Why did we feel that we needed to throw bombs? To keep them honest?

Ultimately, my minor dissatisfaction with the game was simply that we went for several bombs early and ended up going 3 and out when it was, in my opinion, absolutely critical to stay on the field. I call that bad play calling, even if TB missed a couple of throws early.

They should have (IMO) kept it short and sweet and simply tried to accumulate 1st downs.

Anyway, great year for the Pats. 12 and 4 is a phenomenal result given the injuries and the overall lack of offensive talent. Next
Cheaters plain and simple!

Reaction Score

They did all they could. They played decently when Talib was in there, but then the defense unraveled. It was held together with bandages all year, and then the last bandage snapped. That's what happened. Again, damn illegal pick play hurt him.

Reaction Score
That almost seemed to be payback for the almost exact same pick which roughed up Rogers chromartie in the series just prior. That certainly ended up being a big play

Rodgers Cromartie got hurt downfield tackling Edelman. On the previous series, the Patriots got a OPI on Hooman that killed their drive. Simms was constantly mentioning that flag.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Every time some says this, I know they know nothing about Spygate.

I know this... Patriots haven't won a SB since spygate.

Reaction Score
For all the Brady/manning talk, gotta say Brady did not have a good day. He had a few good looks down field and over threw them. Make those and it could be a different game.

Reaction Score
For all the Brady/manning talk, gotta say Brady did not have a good day. He had a few good looks down field and over threw them. Make those and it could be a different game.

Again, you need WRs. He doesn't have them. Peyton made 2 overthrows as well. Doesn't hurt him at all, he can go right back to Demaryious. If you look at Brady's first bomb to Matthew Slater, it was right on target. Most NFL Wrs would have come down with that. Matthew Slater is a helluva special teamer, and he's been in the league for 8 years. I believe he has 1 reception over 8 years. There's a huge difference between having Amendola, Mulligan and Edelman out there, and Demaryous, Decker, Julius Thomas, Welker and Tamme. Edelman is great, as a slot receiver. But otherwise, the Patriots are limited.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
No, I don't, so just say it.

In 2007 the Pats got caught videotaping opponents defensive signals and Belichick admitted it had been happening since 2000. From 2001-2005, they won 3 superbowls. They were cheating, then they got caught, and since then they haven't won a superbowl. Pretty easy concept really.

Reaction Score
In 2007 the Pats got caught videotaping opponents defensive signals and Bellichek admitted it had been happening since 2000. From 2001-2005, they won 3 superbowls. They were cheating, then they got caught, and since then they haven't won a superbowl. Pretty easy concept really.

Let's see if you're theories hold up. For instance, take the Carolina Super Bowl. You're saying the Patriots used filming of signals against Carolina?

Where did they get the gamefilm?

Reaction Score
Lol, really? You honestly don't see my point here?
You know it was common knowledge before that season that pretty much every NFL team was taping illegally. The league had stated before the season that it was a point emphasis. The first game of the season the Patriots security had the Jet's cameramen stop taping. This ticked off the Jets and they reported the Patriots to the league. It was going to happen to one team that year. It just happened to be the Patriots. Teams were taping hand signals on the sidelines. It is legal to have a coach with a pen and paper writing down the hand signals. So there is no real advantage.

Reaction Score
and since then they haven't won a superbowl. Pretty easy concept really.
Very simple. It's like somebody saying the sun is hot because there is a giant Bic Lighter inside of it. Simple, and silly.

Since 2007, 27 teams have not won a superbowl.

In that time, the Pats have been to two superbowls and what, five AFC championship games?

It's easy to hate great franchises. I get it. But the Pats are great, with or without cheating, with or without jealous hatred. Fun team. Glad I grew up in NE when I did.

Next year is going to be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog