OT: Pats-Jets sham. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Pats-Jets sham.

Reaction Score
There's a couple NFL teams (the 1920-21 Buffalo All-Americans and 1925 Pottsville Maroons) from the league's first decade who have been screwed out of championships. The league is obviously doing fine. Bears, Cardinals, Packers and Giants are still alive. Colts (Dayton Triangles) and Redskins (Pottsville Maroons/Boston Bulldogs) are said to be remnants of teams from the 20s.

Reaction Score
Haven't read the full thread. The flag they picked up on New England was an easy one - that wasn't even close to a defensive penalty and I was horrified to even see a flag thrown in the first place.

I saw one of the PI's on Gronk - I think it was the second quarter - and thought that it should have been a no call. Then again, I tend to lean heavily towards giving the defenders the benefit of the doubt on those plays. Gronk is one of the toughest guys in the league to officiate and PI is one of the toughest calls to make. Ones like those will never be settled.

I didn't see the touchback and perhaps by the letter of the law it was the right call, but it's hard to come away with any conclusion other than that the Jets got screwed there.

Reaction Score
I guess if your an insomniac it would be therapeutic. But honestly people complain about soccer fans trying to push their sport on people. I find that baseball fans are a lot more annoying. It is a brainless sport. I did make money off baseball fans however. Before I retired I used to use my seniority to take the corporate tickets to Red Sox Yankee games at Yankee Stadium and resell them for a nice profit. I would piss off my co-workers lol.
I enjoy both MLB and the NFL, but to me the most annoying fans in sports are the ones who act like the entire world needs to stop if there is an NFL game on. If it wasn't for gambling, the NFL would lose half of its audience.
At least in MLB anyone has a shot to make it, look at small guys like Altuve and Pedroia. Or Pedro who was under 6 feet but the most dominant pitcher of his time.
You don't have to be at least 6'2 230 lbs. You also don't have to worry about your brain or knees being jello by the time you're 50.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
If you are talking about the helmet to helmet they picked up, you are blind.

Yup and that play will get overshadowed by fumblegate, and was pretty much just as important if not more so.

Jets with a 14-0 lead lots of offensive momentum.crossing midfield again, the helmet to helmet personal foul gives a first down into Pats territory and from there who knows.

Instead they pick up the flag and call it a " chest hit" ( holy lolz!). Pats get ball immediately drive and a Gronk offensive PI gets called on jets ( shocker! ) and puts it goal to go. That was enough to get me to turn off the game . It saved me from having to witness the FumbLOL. So I guess that's the silver lining.

The jets on their best day needs the pats on their worst day to even be competitive. The fact that officials can't stay out of the way of a game disgusts me.

Reaction Score

I can't find the play you're referring to, but I watched the replay at least two different times when they showed it live. Unless I'm thinking of a different play, the hit was about as innocuous as it gets.

Reaction Score
Huge Pats fan. Bizzare call from a bizarre league that has really bizzare rules so not totally surprised that the reviewers saw it the way they did. Zolak on the radio call summed it up perfectly saying the league needs to start taking officiating seriously and clean up the rule book. Overall I have a dirty feeling after the W but honestly in the end when we win the division by like 4 games it’ll go away.

Reaction Score
Huge Pats fan. Bizzare call from a bizarre league that has really bizzare rules so not totally surprised that the reviewers saw it the way they did. Zolak on the radio call summed it up perfectly saying the league needs to start taking officiating seriously and clean up the rule book. Overall I have a dirty feeling after the W but honestly in the end when we win the division by like 4 games it’ll go away.

Funny I was driving back from RI and my wife wanted to know the Pats score so threw 1080 on first time ever for a Pats game, I have no reason otherwise. While I was listening to the game I realized people have said Scott Zolak is a stooge so I keep listening. I found this guy so hilarious and entertaining because never in my lifetime had I thought that anyone could approach Johnny Most and/or Tommy Heinsohn in homerooms, never ever. This makes those guys look like they like the other team, he's AWFUL. I had to listen to point out to my wife what a total idiot he is and how he doesn't even know there's another team on the field, it's actually gross.

Sorry Fartman but he can't sum up anything perfectly his agenda is beyond anyone else with a mic in front of them. Jet's turned it over in the first half and the Pats were down 14-0, maybe just 7-0 and he roars out "There you go clock strikes midnight, the REAL Jets are showing up......that's the Jets we all know and love" I mean I wish I could remember the others. Everytime there's an incomplete pass by Brady "the league has to do something about how they allow other teams to play the Pats receivers this is getting ridiculous"

Biggest tool ever to be allowed to do a broadcast, and easily too. Makes John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman refreshing LOL

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Terrible call. The ball was loose for just a split second as the receiver moved the ball from one hand/arm to the other, but had the ball secured in the other hand/arm as he crossed into the end zone/hitting the pilon. The ball was only loose in his possession for a split second and he secured it before he went out of bounds. Worst call I can remember in a long time. I'm not a Jet or Patriot fan - just how I saw it.

He had already moved it from his left to his right hand (smart of him), before Butler knocked it loose. It was not him switching hands, it was knocked free by Butler. Anyone who doesn't see that isn't being objective. I don't believe he had possession when he hit the pylon. That said, it would have been easy to simply rule him out of bounds at the goal line, which I think would be the correct call.

As for those thinking that the NFL is somehow propping up the Patriots? Really? Goodell hates them. The league hates them and constantly tries to stop them using any means they can, including the farce that was deflate-gate.

Reaction Score
He had already moved it from his left to his right hand (smart of him), before Butler knocked it loose. It was not him switching hands, it was knocked free by Butler. Anyone who doesn't see that isn't being objective. I don't believe he had possession when he hit the pylon. That said, it would have been easy to simply rule him out of bounds at the goal line, which I think would be the correct call.

As for those thinking that the NFL is somehow propping up the Patriots? Really? Goodell hates them. The league hates them and constantly tries to stop them using any means they can, including the farce that was deflate-gate.

Ok HH so you're the 2nd guy out of 3 million, I'm going to go with you on this. Those others can't possibly have seen it right. :oops:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Ok HH so you're the 2nd guy out of 3 million, I'm going to go with you on this. Those others can't possibly have seen it right. :oops:

Well the refs saw it that way apparently. Here is what they had to say. They called it "obvious". Once he loses control, he has to then land on the ground, in bounds to re-establish possession.

i

"At what point he touched the pylon, it was during the process of trying to recover the ball. Even though he may have had the ball in his hands the second time, that control does not mean possession until he comes to the ground and shows firm control of the ball at that point."

Reaction Score
Well the refs saw it that way apparently. Here is what they had to say. They called it "obvious". Once he loses control, he has to then land on the ground, in bounds to re-establish possession.

"At what point he touched the pylon, it was during the process of trying to recover the ball. Even though he may have had the ball in his hands the second time, that control does not mean possession until he comes to the ground and shows firm control of the ball at that point."

So, say a WR is making a tiptoe catch in the endzone. It hits his hands, he clearly bobbles it and taps his two feet in bounds with possession of the ball. That's a fumble out of the end zone too?

Jenkins hit the pylon with possession and there are plenty of touchdowns every week where a guy doesn't touch the endzone in any way but reaches out and hits the pylon.

Reaction Score

i

#1 He did land in bounds with his right hand on it. #2 Where is he? Is there any evidence of him being near the goal line, which he wasn't anyway. By the time he hit the pylon he had firm control with his right hand it was obvious not sure at the very least, how they cold overturn it. No way.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So, say a WR is making a tiptoe catch in the endzone. It hits his hands, he clearly bobbles it and taps his two feet in bounds with possession of the ball. That's a fumble out of the end zone too?

Jenkins hit the pylon with possession and there are plenty of touchdowns every week where a guy doesn't touch the endzone in any way but reaches out and hits the pylon.

According to the ref, he never came down in bounds after he bobbled it. So the touch two toes part, that never happened. He touched the pylon and then landed out of bounds. But because he had no feet or body down in bound when he touched the pylon, he's out of bounds in the end zone. Here is a pretty clear video shot, from about 9 to 12 seconds. He is in the air, loses the ball, and lands out of bounds.

Reaction Score
According to the ref, he never came down in bounds after he bobbled it. So the touch two toes part, that never happened. He touched the pylon and then landed out of bounds. But because he had no feet or body down in bound when he touched the pylon, he's out of bounds in the end zone. Here is a pretty clear video shot, from about 9 to 12 seconds. He is in the air, loses the ball, and lands out of bounds.

The only thing that proves is he did have possession with the right hand but where? Was it on the 6 inch line, ok bring it back or wa it a TD which was called on the field? either way can't change the call.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score

To me that video supports the fact that it should have been a TD. I don't care about the Pats or the Jets and that looked like a TD to me.

And no matter what there was zero evidence (that I have seen) that would reverse the call.

Reaction Score

i

That picture is clearly photoshopped. I've been told that the Jets player never lost possession of the ball.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The only thing that proves is he did have possession with the right hand but where? Was it on the 6 inch line, ok bring it back or wa it a TD which was called on the field? either way can't change the call.

He re-established control of the ball, in the air, which, according to the referee is not enough to "establish possession". He then needs to come down in bounds with the ball in his hands for it to be "possession". It's as if he has to catch it again. Touching the pylon isn't enough. He didn't (I think that part is pretty obvious in the video). As I said originally, I would have fudged it and given him the ball at the 6 inch line or something.

Now, as with other bizarro rulings over the years, like the tuck rule, I think you can argue whether this is the way the rule should read. But it seems like they did call it correctly based on the actual rules. This article explains why.

Reaction Score
The entire origin of the Patriots dynasty was the attempt to enforce a bizarre rule in a strange situation with no evidence to support a reversal.

This is just the continuation of a 15-year trend.
LOL

August_West

Reaction Score
He re-established control of the ball, in the air, which, according to the referee is not enough to "establish possession". He then needs to come down in bounds with the ball in his hands for it to be "possession". It's as if he has to catch it again. Touching the pylon isn't enough. He didn't (I think that part is pretty obvious in the video). As I said originally, I would have fudged it and given him the ball at the 6 inch line or something.

Now, as with other bizarro rulings over the years, like the tuck rule, I think you can argue whether this is the way the rule should read. But it seems like they did call it correctly based on the actual rules. This article explains why.
giphy.gif

August_West

Reaction Score
Well that's convincing. :rolleyes:

Youre a pats fan. You still think someone called "the deflator" is referencing a puffy jacket or weight loss program. Ive long since learned not to belabor points with pats fans. Its much better to sit back and enjoy the excuses.

Reaction Score
If you think that was helmet to helmet, then basically every single play in an NFL game is a penalty. Which by the rules, it probably is. But give me a break. He hit him down by his underarm. The receive had dropped his head. What is the defender supposed to do? Stop whining Jets fans. You lost. It was not the officials fault. It was the fact that the Jets could not hold a 14 point lead at home. Same old Jets.

Reaction Score
Youre a pats fan. You still think someone called "the deflator" is referencing a puffy jacket or weight loss program. Ive long since learned not to belabor points with pats fans. Its much better to sit back and enjoy the excuses.
I actually think it's funnier to sit back and watch non-Pat fans come up with reasons why every Patriot win/championship/SuperBowl, etc is somehow tainted. Deflategate......my goodness. You know they won that game 28-ZIP in the second half with the "real" footballs, right? And the final score was 45-7?? Some big advantage they got for that "cheating". Wonder what the score would have been if the footballs were "properly inflated" in the first half......maybe 60-0?? Love the jealousy, keep it coming!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom