OT: Other than watch basketball... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Other than watch basketball...

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
<<I applaud you!!!
clapping.gif

Mrs. SVC and I have always been amazed by people who lived in their house for X number of years only to fix it up to sell it? What is with that? Fix it up and enjoy it, then sell it if you must.>>

First, thank you.

Second, we purchased our Florida home when it was new and already built. I built our first home in Somers, CT, after buying a lot some three years earlier. I studied wood frame house construction for two years before I began seeking bids for the subcontractors I'd need. I allowed more time between jobs than a regular general contractor as I was new at it and wanted some buffer time to allow for the subs to complete their phase of the project. I was able to select top quality materials and components and therefore, no post construction fixes or modifications were necessary. I used local subs exclusively who'd been in business for more than ten years and had good local reputations.

It took nine months to finish and I loved every minute of it. I highly recommend the process to anyone. There's no better feeling than watching your home go up, especially doing it yourself.

My wife's brother and his wife bought the place from us and still live there so it's still in the family.

LasVegasYank

Reaction Score
<<My buddies can't wait till I kick the bucket to see who will inherit my memorabilia.>>

God Bless and outlive all the SOB's. :D:D

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Oh dear....most time is spent at home looking after my 100 yr old Dad. I work for a couple of hours a day, 3 days a week, at the powersports dealer I used to manage, as well as a few hours at home helping them. I'm a voracious reader, watch TV (UConn of course, & the other night I binge-watched the whole new season of "Bosch"), fiddle with firearms, and try to juggle doctors' visits for me and Pop (getting old does indeed s**k). Still waiting for the lottery win so I can make a big gift to UConn and get courtside seats!
Man do I understand . My mother is 95, though I am fortunate in that she can still cook and clean herself. Nevertheless, it's still a struggle.

JordyG

Reaction Score
<<I applaud you!!!
clapping.gif

Mrs. SVC and I have always been amazed by people who lived in their house for X number of years only to fix it up to sell it? What is with that? Fix it up and enjoy it, then sell it if you must.>>

First, thank you.

Second, we purchased our Florida home when it was new and already built. I built our first home in Somers, CT, after buying a lot some three years earlier. I studied wood frame house construction for two years before I began seeking bids for the subcontractors I'd need. I allowed more time between jobs than a regular general contractor as I was new at it and wanted some buffer time to allow for the subs to complete their phase of the project. I was able to select top quality materials and components and therefore, no post construction fixes or modifications were necessary. I used local subs exclusively who'd been in business for more than ten years and had good local reputations.

It took nine months to finish and I loved every minute of it. I highly recommend the process to anyone. There's no better feeling than watching your home go up, especially doing it yourself.

My wife's brother and his wife bought the place from us and still live there so it's still in the family.
Love your style.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Oh dear....most time is spent at home looking after my 100 yr old Dad. I work for a couple of hours a day, 3 days a week, at the powersports dealer I used to manage, as well as a few hours at home helping them. I'm a voracious reader, watch TV (UConn of course, & the other night I binge-watched the whole new season of "Bosch"), fiddle with firearms, and try to juggle doctors' visits for me and Pop (getting old does indeed s**k). Still waiting for the lottery win so I can make a big gift to UConn and get courtside seats!
I hope you've binged on "Sneaky Pete" and "Mindhunters".

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
<<I applaud you!!!
clapping.gif

First, thank you.

Good on you! We also GC'ed a couple of houses. When we were married in 1970 we built in the northern end of Cheshire, a pretty standard 7 room ranch. I did all the electrical and my wife did the outside painting. We had a 'family' day for the inside painting. There was no real 'savings' because we ended up buying better quality items than a builder would put in. Fast forward 18 years and 4 kids and we built in the south end of town. I again did all the electrical (power, tel, computer and alarm system). Bigger house, bigger project = longer time to build. It seems a shame to learn so much about building and not do another one.

LasVegasYank

Reaction Score
<<Good on you! We also GC'ed a couple of houses. When we were married in 1970 we built in the northern end of Cheshire, a pretty standard 7 room ranch. I did all the electrical and my wife did the outside painting. We had a 'family' day for the inside painting. There was no real 'savings' because we ended up buying better quality items than a builder would put in. Fast forward 18 years and 4 kids and we built in the south end of town. I again did all the electrical (power, tel, computer and alarm system). Bigger house, bigger project = longer time to build. It seems a shame to learn so much about building and not do another one.>>

Great job! Lucky you got to do it twice.

If I wasn't already entrenched in my career, I would have become a builder myself. just loved doing it.

We did the house party thing for the inside painting too. Four pizzas and a case of beer later, it was done.

I was going to give it a shot here in FL but the whole retirement and out-of-state move really spoiled the broth. That and not knowing any of the subs I'd be using really killed the dream.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
I have an engine rebuild project going this summer. Chevy LS 5.3L converting to a marine engine for eventual classic boat restoration...That is the fun project...

Outdoor patio, house painting interior rooms, new doors, some flooring, some wall repairs, new mailbox, also on the list...not as much fun, but got to be done...

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
On weekends I bring out a bottle of Don Julio Tequila and listen to music like this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom