1. Reminder: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

There’s a link in the top navigation bar for Amazon.com. Purchases made via this link help support The Boneyard. (Dismiss this notice by clicking the x at the top right of the box)
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Other than watch basketball...

Discussion in 'UConn Women's Basketball' started by HuskyNan, Apr 16, 2018.

1. HuskyNan

HuskyNan Administrator

How do you folks spend your spare time? I dabble in genealogy, garden, and travel. We’re looking at a cruise through the Greek Islands next year.

What about you guys? What do you do with yourselves?

2. stwainfan

stwainfan Faithful LV Enthusiast

JordyG and j66kicker like this.
  3. Bronx23

Bronx23

Good question!
    Wife and I love to eat out in interesting places, which isn't hard to do in NYC. We tend to frequent restaurants we know and where we develop relationships with the staff and owners. With an occasional new place thrown in. One of our favorites is Frank Pepe's in New Haven, that has maybe the best pizza anywhere.
    We love to travel especially lately we visit the Amish country in Lancaster, Pa. approx every 6-8 weeks as the beauty and peacefulness is so different than NYC, which both of us are lifetime residents of. In the Lancaster area we love visiting 5-6 reuzit shops, mostly looking for things for our 2 year old grandson.
    Approx once a year we take a two week vacation which used to be driving and staying at B & B's and experiencing new places. Last two years as we age driving becomes harder and harder long distances so now we are into tours which now usually include railroad portions. We also love cruising and exploring new ports and of course the food on the ship.
    Our greatest and most important thing are our two adult kids, their partners and our grandson, who all fortunately live nearby and we see and babysit for our grandson regularly.
    While I still work a bit as a realtor, it's less and less.
    My other love is helping those in need and my son who works with me or now me with him have coordinated our companies charitable efforts which include: foster kids, seniors, soup kitchens and food pantries, the visually impaired, the LBGTQ community.
    I was a social worker and psychotherapist for many years before real estate, so the charitable work brings me back to my roots and calling.
    Sorry as usual for the length and detail but this explains how I spend my free time.
    Bronx23

4. LasVegasYank

LasVegasYank Never pay retail for anything.

Two trips a year to Las Vegas to visit our daughter sandwiched around a 7-day cruise with an occasional trip back to CT to visit friends/relatives. Love to cook but eat out when the wife gets tired of doing dishes. We love our new 4K TV.

At home our big-time effort was a whole house remodel two years ago. We bought the house new 20 years ago, loved the floorplan but hated the contractor quality so we decided to start over. Hired a designer (great move), we packed up the entire contents and had a contractor move it to storage, moved to a local motel and let the contractor have at it. Gutted the entire interior, left the kitchen and bathroom cabinets but refinished them, installing roll outs to replace the shelving in the base cabinets. All new plumbing fixtures, sinks, faucets, a new soaker tub in the 2nd bath, new jetted tub in the master, six new fans, 12 new light fixtures, all the flooring was discarded and new custom porcelain tile work in the kitchen and bathrooms with high-end laminate floors replacing the carpeting. New custom home entertainment enclosure, custom stone work on our two-sided fireplace, new quartz counters throughout, new pantry with roll outs, new base trim for all areas, full paint job throughout. New Bosch dishwasher and new microwave to go with the new fridge, range and W/D. New A/C, new roof, new garage door, tankless hot water heater, spa heater. Had all the blinds removed, cleaned and reinstalled. All new outlets, switches and trim. All new A/C vents. Changed over all brass hardware (including handles, hinges) in the house to brushed nickle. New landscaping.

Three months and $125,000 later we moved back in to the house we'd dreamed of owning. All this while we were 72 years old.

CL82, RSHERMVIKES and Rixxx like this.
  5. Scud49

Scud49

I like to travel, hike, and do a lot of photography. Matter of fact, the spring/early summer 2018 edition of "Nature Photographer" that just came out has an article I wrote along with some of my photographs in it. The article is about our trip to the beautiful Canadian Rockies last June.

CL82, RSHERMVIKES and LasVegasYank like this.
  6. veryolddog

veryolddog

I grow and sell grass and make a lot of money form hit. Hay that is. I have a 1000 acres under cultivation. Our quality mainly goes out of state specifically horse ranches in Florida. My favorite task is driving a huge John Deere to turn over the soil. Now, I only do a couple hundred acres as there are more fit people than me to do the job and better. We also raise 500 head of Angus cattle that is specifically grass and range fed that goes to restaurants. Natural gas production has increased over the last 2 years so we watch that carefully in order to make sure that they do not screw up the land. But my most favorite activity is feeding and visiting the herd of wild horses that roam my property (mustangs). Over the years, I have developed a special bond with these fine animals and every time that I greet them, they welcome me with a warm affection. I feel like that I am on vacation all of the time. Back in 91, after 23 years in the Marine Corps, when I took over this land that I inherited from my Dad who purchased it in 1931, it was just sitting there. So I take a lot of pride in keeping it natural and making it useful.

RowdyFan, CL82, RSHERMVIKES and 10 others like this.
  7. wire chief

wire chief Testmeister

Nowadays, I'm a homebody. When I go out to play bridge and table tennis, I'm still in town. I garden and take brisk walks.
    I design tests for the BYers. What? Oh, you knew that. I read and display an addiction to Netflix.

RSHERMVIKES, JordyG and Scoop like this.
  8. McFly

McFly

Table tennis? I'm jealous. I used to be decent at it many years ago, in school and the Army. But now I'm not sufficiently mobile, and worse than that, ever try to play wearing trifocals? It ain't pretty.
    I fish for trout and, preferably, Atlantic salmon, build and fly, and mostly crash and rebuild, radio control model airplanes. And spend way too much time on this damned computer.

RSHERMVIKES likes this.
  9. Puppy Love

Puppy Love

image.jpeg
    In addition to working full time, I'm a do it yourself nut. I most recently gutted the half bath in our master and rebuilt is as a full. The only part hired out was the rough plumbing. I also like to rebuild and repurpose furniture. I do all kinds of crafts, including hand made cards for hospitalized children. The hubs and I spend weekends camping and boating during the warmer months.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    RSHERMVIKES, ctfjr, Scoop and 2 others like this.
  10. wire chief

wire chief Testmeister

I'm jealous too--of those players whose hand and eye coordination is still top notch.

11. DaddyChoc

DaddyChoc Choc Full of UConn

watching court shows, ID Channel, Forensic Files, Dateline, 20/20, 60 Minutes, trying easy recipes, 15 minute walks to steps up on my Fitbit, maintain this Keto diet... and make it to a Hartford Yard Goats game this season!

12. Aluminny69

Aluminny69 Old Timer

I've played team sports for most of my life. About 12 years ago, I discovered dog agility, a great way to spend time with your dog in a competitive environment. I am currently running my third agility dog, a five year old puppy. He is just recovering from a year long bout with Lyme's Disease. At 71, I am happy to get out and do some exercise, although I still could be in much better condition. Agility competitors share their runs on Youtube and Facebook. Here is one of our runs.

RowdyFan, CL82, CocoHusky and 9 others like this.
  13. Puppy Love

Puppy Love

It has always baffled me that agility owners can figure out the correct order of the obstacles.

14. Aluminny69

Aluminny69 Old Timer

It's no mystery. The video starts with the map of the course that we get. Then we all walk the course for ten minutes, without our dog. That is where we practice our handling strategy. Personally, I mentally divide the course into groups of 4 or 5 obstacles, looking for patterns. Like anything, although it may look difficult, it is just a matter of practice. One of the first things I learned is that the obstacles don't move, only you and your dog are moving. So, I had to develop a sense of where the obstacles were, so that I didn't run into them. Thank you for watching.

DaddyChoc and Puppy Love like this.
  15. Bronx23

Bronx23

Ironic in that that was out trip last year. Flew to Calgary and took bus and train tour across Canadian Rockies to Vancouver. Was truly amazing. Company was called Rocky Mountaineer. Train was almost all windows, wide leather seats, gourmet quality lunch and dinner, snacks and beverages throughout.
    Bronx23

RSHERMVIKES and Scud49 like this.
  16. JimGunther

JimGunther

That looks like a hoot (for man and dog).
    Reminds me of Autocross (used to be called Gymkana) where (mostly) sports cars run a pylon lined course.
    As somebody else wondered, I have a pretty hot Lotus 7 replica - capable of 'Fastest Time of the Day" - but, not with me driving....I get lost ;<(

Aluminny69 likes this.
  17. Maine fan

Maine fan golfnut

My 15yo Grandson (Portland, Ct) spends his summers with Nana and I. He is my summer partner for golf, fishing, water skiing, biking and oh yeah, yard work when time allows.

18. HoopsHoppy

HoopsHoppy

Locally, I continue to volunteer to maintain the finances of my parish. In the spring I try to catch a grandson’s pitching for his college. Since I’m still loaded with miles from my working days, the wife and I can spend time with daughters in California and Montana when we’re not watching soccer and/gymnastics with our two local granddaughters. And crazily enough, since were still in our same too big home, there are lawns and flower beds all summer long. But I miss watching basketball as I’ve always thought it was meant to be played

RSHERMVIKES and Scoop like this.
  19. YSRFrisbee

YSRFrisbee

How funny! My family is going on the same trip this summer (except we're going from Vancouver to Calgary). Any advice? :D

20. Bigboote

Bigboote Lectroid feom Planet 10

My wife, daughter, and I are all hobby-oriented. This past weekend I saw a play that my daughter was in and for which my wife was the costume designer.

My primary hobby is probably cooking. One family member was recently diagnosed with celiac, so I'm having to learn gluten-free cooking. Not fun, but an interesting challenge. Tangentially related to cooking is homebrewing. This is spring wheat season.

I also play music and make and sell wooden pennywhistles. My website, kind of still under construction: www.whorfinwoods.com

I like being outside. This time of year, I spend Saturdays splitting wood and Sundays running. I usually do a ten-miler and a half-marathon in the spring and a half and a full marathon in the fall. The summer is for shorter runs and cycling. The cycling is just to help me run more.

We will also be making the full rounds to all my siblings in northern New England this summer. Three days in Vermont, four in NH, and four in Maine (parents are also in ME now).

21. Wally East

Wally East Posting via the Speed Force

It will shock no one when I say that I enjoy comic books :)

I'm also a runner.

My wife and I enjoy visiting national parks. We have been to 52 of the 60 parks designated as National Parks. I'm not sure we'll ever get to them all but it's a goal :)

22. msf22b

msf22b Maestro

Love some of the fascinating stories above; lots of super seniors doing their thing.

We're planning a quiet summer sailing our lovely C&C 34, hopefully getting seriously back to my book...weekends at Caramoor to see the orchestra I founded,
    and possibly a few concerts to direct...the money has been coming in in drips and drabs ..last scheduled concert this Sunday

music.atstveronicas.org |

RSHERMVIKES and Puppy Love like this.
  23. trb123

trb123

Read books. Watch movies using my Blue ray player. Play sudoku.
    Tutor my son and thru him some middle school and high school students.
    Volunteer coach for AMC and Mathcounts.

RSHERMVIKES likes this.
  24. Sifaka

Sifaka

In no particular order...
    —volunteer many hours each week at our local library-owned secondhand book shop. Great business model: COGS=$0 , all staff are unpaid. All revenues, minus nominal rent and utilities, support the library.
    —reading-history of science, linguistics, fiction of all sorts, poetry
    —flower hybridizing in the very short Maine growing season
    —multi-lingual scrabble and polyglot punning with my wife and those friends willing to put up with it. Between us we manage to be silly in four Romance languages plus three or four English dialects from both sides of the pond.
    —music, mostly classical and jazz
    —blogging on topics not permitted here and also etymology
    —¡béisbol! (Hint: not the Red Sox. Have nothing against the team, but their fans can be a bit hard to stomach at times.)

In my abundant spare time, I practice being an electric coffee percolator.

RSHERMVIKES likes this.
  25. skilz

skilz Final Four Bound!

I fight.....i fight the dreaded allergies that the spring brings in. Hate it! Oh, then there is motorcycle riding with BACA. :rolleyes:

RSHERMVIKES, Bigboote and DefenseBB like this.