OT: Other than watch basketball... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Other than watch basketball...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm an audiophile. I spend much of my time listening to music through equipment that is far too expensive. I have a bunch of friends that write for online magazines. Periodic visits to their houses affords me a great indulgence listening to much of the latest Hi End HiFi equipment. Heaven. I have a record collection upwards of 7K. You can see where much of my discretionary income goes.

I also really enjoy building gaming computers. I usually do an entirely new build yearly from case to video cards. My newest is just about done. This hobby also involves fairly large expenditures.

I'm an avid book reader, and Sci-Fi/Fantasy has been my love for 50 years. I gave up on physical media (magazines and books) and I use an e-reader exclusively. I'm never without it, or my DAP. I love collecting and watching 4K and Blu-Ray movies, and I like to keep up on the latest consumer video equipment.

I really love walking around NYC, no matter the weather. I occasionally visit museums and such, but not like the old days when I was a far more frequent visitor.

Last edited:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I've played team sports for most of my life. About 12 years ago, I discovered dog agility, a great way to spend time with your dog in a competitive environment. I am currently running my third agility dog, a five year old puppy. He is just recovering from a year long bout with Lyme's Disease. At 71, I am happy to get out and do some exercise, although I still could be in much better condition. Agility competitors share their runs on Youtube and Facebook. Here is one of our runs.

Loved it...lol

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
That looks like a hoot (for man and dog).
Reminds me of Autocross (used to be called Gymkana) where (mostly) sports cars run a pylon lined course.
As somebody else wondered, I have a pretty hot Lotus 7 replica - capable of 'Fastest Time of the Day" - but, not with me driving....I get lost ;<(

I was thinking the same thing :) It took a lot of concentration not to go off course. I ran a modified Saab Sonett that put me in an unlimited class :( Ran on the Berlin Turnpike in some shopping center, Hamden and iirc an old factory lot in New Britain.

I am trying to decide if either of our two labs would be up for doing this - it looks like a lot of training but a lot of fun too!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Don't have a lot of "free" time. I still have a full time job (another 10 years or so). I also ref soccer on weekends. On top of that I mentor, assess, and teach referee classes. This tends to take up a lot of time, according to my wife. In the fall I also coach soccer (HS). But when I do have free time I like to watch soccer (TV or live). My wife and I Netflix (not as much chilling though). We go out to eat (too often), also like to hear live music (eh good live music) when we can find it.

IF the weather ever improves, we'll get out on our bikes and spend a bit of time outside with our new firepit and probably a lot of wine. No grandkids yet, so will still have to make room for them, someday.

Reaction Score
I still work 40 hours a week. But in my spare time I like to walk/hike, spend time w/my dog, friends, family (in that order). I'm an avid reader, and am also trying to teach myself to draw. I also write a blog about vegan baking..

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing :) It took a lot of concentration not to go off course. I ran a modified Saab Sonett that put me in an unlimited class :( Ran on the Berlin Turnpike in some shopping center, Hamden and iirc an old factory lot in New Britain.

I am trying to decide if either of our two labs would be up for doing this - it looks like a lot of training but a lot of fun too!
Ironically, the agility trial in the video was at Corporate Park in Hamden. They also have beginner classes there, if you are interested. I'm sure your dogs, and you, will love it. Feel free to PM me.

Reaction Score
How funny! My family is going on the same trip this summer (except we're going from Vancouver to Calgary). Any advice? :D
Did you book already?
There are two levels of service - silver and gold! We took silver which meant you ate at your seat, rather than go to a formal dining room to eat. Also gold service is a two level car so I assume being higher up sometimes brings better views. The trip is fairly expensive so the difference in price between them didn't seem worth the improvements. If budget is not a consideration then surely choose gold. We stayed in the mid range hotels which was fine but upgraded to the Fairmont in Lake Louise including breakfast and dinner there with a room facing the lake, which was well worth the cost as we likely will never get there again. I actually enjoyed this tour (reakky our first) more than the cruise to Alaska which was wonderful.
The staff on the train were amazing.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Did you book already?
There are two levels of service - silver and gold! We took silver which meant you ate at your seat, rather than go to a formal dining room to eat. Also gold service is a two level car so I assume being higher up sometimes brings better views. The trip is fairly expensive so the difference in price between them didn't seem worth the improvements. If budget is not a consideration then surely choose gold. We stayed in the mid range hotels which was fine but upgraded to the Fairmont in Lake Louise including breakfast and dinner there with a room facing the lake, which was well worth the cost as we likely will never get there again. I actually enjoyed this tour (reakky our first) more than the cruise to Alaska which was wonderful.
The staff on the train were amazing.
Bronx23

Yep! the trip has been booked for over a year so I'm getting restless! We're hoping to find some cool activities in Banff and Lake Louise, although our "free time" there is a bit limited. Our family also took a trip to Alaska 10 years ago, so we're excited to get back to this part of North America. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!! :)

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
My usual spring and summer plans consist of trips with the Corvette Club, attending car shows, and generally cruising around. I enjoy car people, as they are typically helpful, friendly, and usually interested in cars other than their own.

The really hot days of summer will find me in the cool of the basement, working in my audio production bay, or maybe doing some ham radio stuff.

B94B4A8C-0DB4-4200-9A63-9671C275C854.jpeg

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I enjoy doing jigsaw puzzles, crossword and Sudoku puzzles. I watch a variety of TV programs, but only one "series" - Designated Survivor.

Currently watching tapes of the CNN series on the Pope.

We follow softball, but my wife hasn't been up to attending games.

I work 20 hours a week on-line for near minimum wage, because it helps my sister-in-law in her (full time) position.

Next week will be in Santa Cruz while my wife takes a glass class.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I enjoy doing...Sudoku puzzles...We follow softball...my wife takes a... class.

Sounds like life here! I spend so much time on the BY because Mrs. BigBird is always taking classes. Sudoku is rather addictive, no? And I love softball; it’s a great sport. Loved doing radio PBP of college softball.

Reaction Score
Oh dear....most time is spent at home looking after my 100 yr old Dad. I work for a couple of hours a day, 3 days a week, at the powersports dealer I used to manage, as well as a few hours at home helping them. I'm a voracious reader, watch TV (UConn of course, & the other night I binge-watched the whole new season of "Bosch"), fiddle with firearms, and try to juggle doctors' visits for me and Pop (getting old does indeed s**k). Still waiting for the lottery win so I can make a big gift to UConn and get courtside seats!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Sounds like life here! I spend so much time on the BY because Mrs. BigBird is always taking classes. Sudoku is rather addictive, no? And I love softball; it’s a great sport. Loved doing radio PBP of college softball.
Yes as to Sudoku, although I do mine on a daily calendar and as part of a weekly puzzle mag I enjoy.

My wife was out quite a bit when her health was a bit better, working on glass art and taking classes at a studio on the other side of town. Now, she rarely gets out, hence why we don't make softball (or women's basketball or volleyball or football) games so much, but we support Arizona with season tix non-the-less.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Yes as to Sudoku, although I do mine on a daily calendar and as part of a weekly puzzle mag I enjoy.

My wife was out quite a bit when her health was a bit better, working on glass art and taking classes at a studio on the other side of town. Now, she rarely gets out, hence why we don't make softball (or women's basketball or volleyball or football) games so much, but we support Arizona with season tix non-the-less.

Best wishes to your bride's health.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Oh dear....most time is spent at home looking after my 100 yr old Dad. I work for a couple of hours a day, 3 days a week, at the powersports dealer I used to manage, as well as a few hours at home helping them. I'm a voracious reader, watch TV (UConn of course, & the other night I binge-watched the whole new season of "Bosch"), fiddle with firearms, and try to juggle doctors' visits for me and Pop (getting old does indeed s**k). Still waiting for the lottery win so I can make a big gift to UConn and get courtside seats!
latest

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Now that basketball is done - for now, I get to catch up on some neglected activities.
Bike 4 to 6 miles a day.
Work on some wood projects - trying to get a small business of the ground in retirement..
Volunteer in our community, a 55+ one, with CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) and yes the wife and I got trained by the county Fire and Rescue.
I'm a neighborhood captain in our community. We work to bring neighbors together in their retirement. We are a community of 5,000 plus homes.
Playing lead trumpet in a swing band. We play anything from Pop tunes to the Beatles to Big Band standards including originals like In the Mood, Moonlight Serenade, Sing Sing Sing, Opus One and others.
Both the wife and I go to a local gun range to shoot once a week. Working towards our conceal/ carry for Florida.
We continue to explore Florida and its various natural wonders and restaurants.
My wife went back to being a church choir director and organist. She also has a tech training business.
And then there is visiting CT twice a year to see the grandkids! Coming back up in September for the birth of #4!!!!!!!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Three months and $125,000 later we moved back in to the house we'd dreamed of owning. All this while we were 72 years old.

I applaud you!!!
clapping.gif

Mrs. SVC and I have always been amazed by people who lived in their house for X number of years only to fix it up to sell it? What is with that? Fix it up and enjoy it, then sell it if you must.

Reaction Score
When I taught and coached and HAD money I saved up and each summer would travel to Baseball Ball Parks around the USA! Saw most of them till $ and health ran out!
My Buddy and I have had season tickets to UCONN WBB since 1998 and up to 9-10 years ago we would travel to Regional and Final Fours by driving! Our record is 4061 miles, CT to Dayton (1st & 2nd rds.), to Milwaukee (East Reg.), to San Antonio (FF), to Houston (to see friends), to Knoxville (WBB H0fF and stopped at U of TN to try to take Pat Summitt to lunch but that didn't work out), and back to CT!
Now into 18 years of retirement, New London and CT are killing me financially and with all my health problems for the past 3+ years I don't travel anymore, lucky I can walk around the nearest mall each morning!
I don't know now If I'll be able to afford the UCONN WBB season tickets for next year and physically it's so hard for me to get around, walking and standing!
So now my interests are watching WBB, November to April and NYYankee baseball April to November!
I have 1 room of my house that my friends call "the museum" where I have autographed Baseball and WBB memorabilia and pictures of all the HS Wrestling teams I've coached first in MO and the last 29 in East Lyme, CT. till 2002. My buddies can't wait till I kick the bucket to see who will inherit my memorabilia.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom