OT Old School Rap | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT Old School Rap

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
You know this is an east coast group when you can get 5 pages without mentioning Too Short. For my money, Short Dogg was as good as it gets with old school, west coast rap.

Reaction Score
I apologize if its been said before, wven if i said it before in tis very thread, but I have Illmatic on vinyl, and there isn’t a rap album that tops it. Message me either privately or publicly, I will argue my point.

Reaction Score
The Ig still looks good at 70+

tumblr12.jpg

Reaction Score
I am packing for a move and just listened to illmatic which I do believe is an almost perfect album. That being said, I didn’t see anyone mention gravediggaz (the 6 feet deep album) which is amazing. Came out the same time as the first biggie album and I listened to it so much that I didn’t get into biggie until later (only has enough money to get one cd at a time). AZ doe or die is great, but slightly inconsistent. There’s also red man dare iz a dark side.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Backspin was a preset for me on Sirius and on the way back from the store we just gave a first listen to the new station in its place, Rock the Bells, curated by LL Cool J. It was a nice stretch, with some great Beasties, and Gang Starr's "Mass Appeal."
Been listening to the Rock the Bells station quite a bit. Backspin was good but this is much better imo. A little edgier and a really good mix. Have heard a ton of great stuff I’ve never heard before, and almost every artist mentioned in his thread.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Been listening to the Rock the Bells station quite a bit. Backspin was good but this is much better imo. A little edgier and a really good mix. Have heard a ton of great stuff I’ve never heard before, and almost every artist mentioned in his thread.
Ugghhh, I wish they would bring back Backspin. Rock the Bells is ok but Backspin was right in my wheelhouse. So bummed it’s gone.

Reaction Score
I am packing for a move and just listened to illmatic which I do believe is an almost perfect album. That being said, I didn’t see anyone mention gravediggaz (the 6 feet deep album) which is amazing. Came out the same time as the first biggie album and I listened to it so much that I didn’t get into biggie until later (only has enough money to get one cd at a time). AZ doe or die is great, but slightly inconsistent. There’s also red man dare iz a dark side.
Not off that album but always loved this Gravediggaz song...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ugghhh, I wish they would bring back Backspin. Rock the Bells is ok but Backspin was right in my wheelhouse. So bummed it’s gone.
It was more in my wheelhouse, too, but it got to the point where I was hearing the same songs most of the time. What I like about RTB is that I am getting turned on to a lot of stuff I like and have never heard before.

Reaction Score
I'm too old ( almost 70) I missed out on the whole hippity hop thing. I' m still waiting for Sam the Sham and the Phaorahs big comeback.

Reaction Score

Add Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban linx to best album discussion

Reaction Score
I'm too old ( almost 70) I missed out on the whole hippity hop thing. I' m still waiting for Sam the Sham and the Phaorahs big comeback.

I remember (from the late 60s?) this new rock place opening in a CT location that didn't make any sence. The neww owners ripped the place up and did a major renovation - the basement was the mani floor with this ring of a balcony. They opened with a few local shitkicker groups with big adds that Sam the Sham would be there in 2 weeks - the 'gala' opening. Sam showed, but the crowd didn't. But there were 4- 5 fights and the place went ch 11.

Last edited:

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
Thank you. That first Gravediggaz album is an underrated masterpiece. Creativity at its finest.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It took five pages to get to mentioning Raekwon and Gravediggaz? I'm a metalhead and I know they're amongst the best. Wu Tang Clan ain't nuttin to "mess" with.

They're "5%ers", for anyone who cares or doesn't know; branched off the Nation of Islam. Their old lyrics, at least, are based on their beliefs but RZA does seem to have a deeper understanding, if he is going to bring up jinn.

Five-Percent Nation - Wikipedia

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
This came out in March 2018. It’s off an album by a group called Czar face and MF Doom. Inspectah Deck from Wu Tang is in the Group Czar Face. Old school rappers are still producing good music.

Reaction Score
Digital Underground : "The Humpty Dance". Song cracks me up and Tupac started as a dancer for them.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
This came out in March 2018. It’s off an album by a group called Czar face and MF Doom. Inspectah Deck from Wu Tang is in the Group Czar Face. Old school rappers are still producing good music.

MF Doom used to be KMD w/ that group that did "Peachfuzz".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom