OT Old School Rap | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT Old School Rap

Reaction Score
Old school? Sitting in my bedroom every Friday night so I could tape Rap Attack on WBLS with Marly Marl and Mr Magic.
Then getting pissed because the tape in the cassette deck ran out in the middle of a good sound....

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
I was at work and one of the young guys was cleaning up some gear and had the fugees goin. Ya cant not sing Ready or Not so i got into it.

Kid says i like old school.

I say i remember when this album came out. (Sulked back to my office)

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Where's Nas, Ed OG and the Bulldogs, Spoonie G, Kool G Rap, Brand Nubians, Jungle Brothers, Masta Ace, Bizmarkie, Jeru the Damaja, Black Moon, Smif n Wessun, Heltah Skeltah and the rest of the Bootcamp Clik. Lastly one of my favorite yet least heralded duos were the U.M.C's (blue cheese).

Reaction Score
Can't believe no mention of this one....."The Sgt. Pepper of hip hop"....
From the Beastie's sophomore 1989 effort "Paul's Boutique"....

Hey Ladies
Samples
  • "All the ladies in the house...the ladies, the ladies" - "Jazzy Sensation" by Afrika Bambataa
  • "Baby, Baby, Baby" is from Zapp's "Heartbreaker"
  • "Fresh," Fab-5 Freddy
  • "Funky!", "Damn!" and "Is it funky, brotha?" from "Funky President" by James Brown
  • "Good God!" - "War" by Edwin Starr
  • "Hey Ladies" sample is from Kurtis Blow's "Party Time" on the Party Time album
  • "One for the Treble (Fresh)" by Davy DMX. Following the line: 'And when I say stupid I mean cupid" you hear "Fresh" from the song cut in (and then the line: "I'm not James at 15...")
  • "Pumpin' It Up" by the P-Funk All Stars
  • "She's thinks she's the passionate one" - "Ballroom Blitz" by Sweet on the album Desolation Boulevard
  • Cameo's, "Shake Your Pants" before "all the ladies in the house"
  • Guitar and synth under "All the ladies in the house...the ladies, the ladies" is from "Shake your Pants", by Cameo on the Cameosis album
  • In the video version: "Baby, Baby, Baby" is Deep Purple's "Hush"
  • Kool and the Gang's, "Jungle Boogie"
  • Mostly "Machine Gun" by The Commodores
  • Roger's, "So Rough, So Tuff"
  • World Famous Supreme Team, "Hey DJ" at the very first "get funky" before the cowbell.

Last edited:

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
The best of times. Don't get me started.

Bro. Horatio, I salute you and thank you. You took me back. Never minded being grounded on Fridays or Saturdays b/c that just meant making tapes from Rap Attack and my man Kool DJ Red Alert. By the way does anyone know whatever happened to Red Alerts son? As a little boy he would introduce his Dad often mimicking Red Alert.

Reaction Score
Can't believe no mention of this one....."The Sgt. Pepper of hip hop"....
From the Beastie's sophomore 1989 effort "Paul's Boutique"....

I did

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
Bro. Horatio, I salute you and thank you. You took me back. Never minded being grounded on Fridays or Saturdays b/c that just meant making tapes from Rap Attack and my man Kool DJ Red Alert. By the way does anyone know whatever happened to Red Alerts son? As a little boy he would introduce his Dad often mimicking Red Alert.
I remember that kid. I don't know what happened to him. I remembered listening out for the latest " world premiere " on wbls and kiss. Guys actually competed and cared.

Reaction Score
What about Grand Puba, Positive and LG?

How about Cool C? “Life In the Ghetto” is a classic.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I remember that kid. I don't know what happened to him. I remembered listening out for the latest " world premiere " on wbls and kiss. Guys actually competed and cared.

I don't remember his son. Maybe one of these dudes..

DJ Red:

KOOL DJ RED ALERT LIVE ON KISS FM IN NYC - DEC 1984

Reaction Score
My Avatar pic
Gang Starr was one of favorite. RIP Guru. I loved Hard to Earn album with Code of Streets, Mass Appeal, Speak Ya Clout and DYWCK. Also, props up to Tribe my favorite group and honorable mentions to Boogie down productions(especially with RIP Scott La Rock) Wu Tang, Pete Nice and CL Smooth(Favorite song TROY), Bran Nubians, Leaders, Jungle Brothers and Public Enemy. Also, was a huge fan of Mos Def and my namesake. Though I still think the best white boy rap song is Paul Revere by Beastie Boys RIP MCA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Where's Nas, Ed OG and the Bulldogs, Spoonie G, Kool G Rap, Brand Nubians, Jungle Brothers, Masta Ace, Bizmarkie, Jeru the Damaja, Black Moon, Smif n Wessun, Heltah Skeltah and the rest of the Bootcamp Clik. Lastly one of my favorite yet least heralded duos were the U.M.C's (blue cheese).
Most of them have been mentioned, Nas and Kool G Rap are in my top 5.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
One of my all time favorites EPMD....

Parrish Smith attended SCSU and played TE on the football team.

"SCSU and like Vladamir we're outta here."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Couple of my favorite guys from the South.

Tyrone Crushing and Fresh Master Money

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
What about Grand Puba, Positive and LG?

How about Cool C? “Life In the Ghetto” is a classic.
Mentioned Brand Nubians, of which Puba was the lead. Cool C was eaten up by the streets, doing time now. Made me think of Keith Murray (the most beautifullest thing in the world). Not sure who began this thread but thanks. I'm a hip hop head primarily East coast who was raised on Marley Marl, Mr. Magic, Red Alert and later Kid Capri. The golden years of hip hop. I won't even hear further arguments re this era and the greatness of the artists coming out of the 80's and early 90's.

Reaction Score
More underground Hip Hop for me. Sage Francis-Makeshift patriot is a must listen. Atmosphere, to name a couple.

Reaction Score
Mentioned Brand Nubians, of which Puba was the lead. Cool C was eaten up by the streets, doing time now. Made me think of Keith Murray (the most beautifullest thing in the world). Not sure who began this thread but thanks. I'm a hip hop head primarily East coast who was raised on Marley Marl, Mr. Magic, Red Alert and later Kid Capri. The golden years of hip hop. I won't even hear further arguments re this era and the greatness of the artists coming out of the 80's and early 90's.
That's why you're olehead. Daps.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom