OT: Off season? Nope Food season!! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Off season? Nope Food season!!

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Broccoli rabe is awesome. Cavatelli with Italian sausage, broccoli rabe, cannellini beans, olive oil, a lot of garlic and parmesan is one of my favorites. So simple and so tasty. Broccoli rabe is a necessity on the pork sandwich and with cavatelli and sausage.

There's a decent pizza place near me and my go to specialty pie there is a white pie with broccoli rabe sausage and asiago. It's a real good pizza.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Oh no you didn't!

JhG8tUX.jpg

Philly roast pork special.

I win

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No. It's a terrible vegetable. The worst.

That you like kale and swisschard over the delectable bitterness of broccoli rabe tells me you definitely aren't an IPA man and probably believe Rolling Rock is a microbrew. That, and you use a dental dam when pleasuring your woman. If you have a woman, that is.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I still dont know what freekah is. The pork sammich was pretty solid as well as the chorizo dish. The ny strip over sticky rice was solid too. Im not big on leafy greens so the kale was like lawn clippings for me.

I should tell you guys about this old school stuffed flank steak mama 313 hooks it up with. And ricotta pie. Gawd i love ricotta pie.

My issue with Blue Apron is that there are plenty of times I look at the three dishes for the week and think, "I really am not in the mood for that." Not to mention they're useless in warm weather when the grill is always option #1.

Granted, for the most part the dishes I've made from them - about 15 - have been good, if I remember to cut the salt by like 80%. Seriously, what is it with them and salt? Did all their chefs come from Longhorn Steakhouse?

The other thing that bugs me with them is that I'm a pretty good cook. When I'm in the kitchen I have pretty good discipline over my mise en place. Makes everything easier and faster once you get going. Their prep times are designed for physics majors who are also octopi. Who are they kidding with that?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Everything? If you're ever in the Hampden neighborhood in Baltimore, go to Spro and talk to Jay about his experiments with sous vide coffee.

It doesn't work.

Aren't you the guy who picks coffee beans out of the poop of a gibbon?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Everything? If you're ever in the Hampden neighborhood in Baltimore, go to Spro and talk to Jay about his experiments with sous vide coffee.

It doesn't work.

I had a sous vide rib eye recently. It was a crying shame.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Aren't you the guy who picks coffee beans out of the poop of a gibbon?

Oh hell no.

I'm the guy who tells you you got suckered out of serious cash for buying that crap.

Funny thing is (although not really funny) is that there's a huge industry selling fake kopi luwak, so you're not even getting real civet poop coffee most of the time. Yet paying the same.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Did they paint grill marks on it?

Don't laugh, I've seen it done.

No they tried to do a reverse sear at the end on skillet which was pathetic. Wasn't even ultra hot cast iron. They bought real good steaks too.
With every bite I was thinking to myself how much better they would've been on a thousand degree grill and someone with a little skill.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Does it require rendered pork fat?

Since you are a connoisseur of le pig, put this in your recipe file. It says country ribs or pork shoulder, but I've had more success with the shoulder. And trust the recipe. Once the liquid is almost all evaporated you'll think you're burning the living crap out of the pork cubes and destroying your pot, but you'll be just fine. Let it evaporate completely (but remove pork quickly thereafter). I first had this in Tampa a few years ago at some strip mall near the Steinbrenner training complex. Next to porchetta, it's my #1 pork recipe.

Cuban Fried Pork Chunks - Masitas de Puerco Fritas

You could cheat and use Goya mojo picante, but try it from scratch first, and don't skimp the garlic.

Their recipes are legit.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Thread summary:

Guy makes sandwich without an oven and in the process accomplishes something that 99.998% of people who make sandwiches accomplish without telling the internet about it.

Reaction Score
I snow blow around my grill before I do my driveway. Of course I'm retired so it is not like I have to get out to go to work or anything. The grill is the number one priority.

Snow day routine.

Step 1, clear driveway to avoid castration by significant other

Step 2, shovel path to grill and Big Green Egg

Step 3, light charcoal

Step 4, place ribs in Big Green Egg

Reaction Score
August took a boneless pork shoulder and this morning before work rubbed the crap out of it with herbs

And just walked in the door to this :
3zZnI1q.jpg

Looks like a waste of good marijuana to me.

Reaction Score
The subconscious mind is weird. I had a dream last night where I was eating August's pork sandwich. It sucked. Way too dry.

Did you miss the part where he sliced it, then jammed it all back into the liquid fat?

Reaction Score
Did you miss the part where he sliced it, then jammed it all back into the liquid fat?

I did see that. My dream was cruel to me in omitting that important feature.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Thread summary:

Guy makes sandwich without an oven and in the process accomplishes something that 99.998% of people who make sandwiches accomplish without telling the internet about it.

1)Sorry for partying

2) you cannot replicate the greatness with the same tools . That is a 100 percent shizzle'd guarantee

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I made a giant ice cube out the rendered pork fat last night.

k4iAVK8.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom