OT: "Ode to NY" by #2 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: "Ode to NY" by #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Please with the Ortiz crap. He 's a cheater and he can't find his glove - NO comparison!

Come on, really? Coming from a Yankees fan, that is rich. The only franchise more 'Juiced' than the NYY was the 1970s Steelers. Even an altar boy like Pettite used PEDs.

I don't care too much mind you, as I think most players used PEDs in some form or fashion during that era.

Reaction Score
Come on, really? Coming from a Yankees fan, that is rich. The only franchise more 'Juiced' than the NYY was the 1970s Steelers. Even an altar boy like Pettite used PEDs.

I don't care too much mind you, as I think most players used PEDs in some form or fashion during that era.

The Yankees had many cheaters (not sure I said otherwise) we know of or believe and so did the Sox. How many titles do the Sox win without Papi and Manny my friend amongst others? Funny stuff... From what I know Jeter wasn't on the list and i know Papi WAS..........take it from there!! And again, he doesn't use a glove so please let's not even go there that's a joke.

Reaction Score
The Yankees had many cheaters (not sure I said otherwise) we know of or believe and so did the Sox. How many titles do the Sox win without Papi and Manny my friend amongst others? Funny stuff... From what I know Jeter wasn't on the list and i know Papi WAS.....take it from there!! And again, he doesn't use a glove so please let's not even go there that's a joke.

Actually, I'd bet that Ortiz would have better range at SS if he did play the field.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/4/8/5594256/derek-jeter-yankees-gold-gloves

Reaction Score
I like the way Ted Williams handled it. Played his last game in front of the home fans, a homer in his last at bat, then called it a career. He didn't feel the need to go to New York for some parting gifts.

The tribute tour is totally overdone and obnoxious. Jeter is not only not the greatest player ever, he's not in the top 5 of Yankee greats, he was arguably never the best player on his team, never mind the leauge. He was never the best defensive shortstop in the AL, and for a few years was not the best defensive shortstop on his team. So where does that leave us - with #20 career offensive WAR, #6 all time in hits, #9 all time runs scored. Other than Honus Wagner and possibly Cal, Yount or A-Rod, he was the best shortstop over his career that ever played. Not the best peak performer - Wagner, A-Rod and Ernie Banks go there - but over a full career who would you rather have playing one of the key positions on your team - Yount, Nomar, Vizquel, Aparicio, Ozzie, Larkin? Complaining about Jeter's lack of RBI's is like complaining about Sandy Koufax's pick off move - not really in his job description. So what you have is someone who is in the top twenty in many all-time batting categories, who was remarkably durable, played for the same team for 20 years, won 5 titles, played well in championship competition, is one of the top 5 players of all time at a key position and was a pleasure to watch play. Yep, a real stinker. My 28 year old son should be so lucky to root for another such player in his lifetime.

Reaction Score
The tribute tour is totally overdone and obnoxious. Jeter is not only not the greatest player ever, he's not in the top 5 of Yankee greats, he was arguably never the best player on his team, never mind the leauge. He was never the best defensive shortstop in the AL, and for a few years was not the best defensive shortstop on his team. So where does that leave us - with #20 career offensive WAR, #6 all time in hits, #9 all time runs scored. Other than Honus Wagner and possibly Cal, Yount or A-Rod, he was the best shortstop over his career that ever played. Not the best peak performer - Wagner, A-Rod and Ernie Banks go there - but over a full career who would you rather have playing one of the key positions on your team - Yount, Nomar, Vizquel, Aparicio, Ozzie, Larkin? Complaining about Jeter's lack of RBI's is like complaining about Sandy Koufax's pick off move - not really in his job description. So what you have is someone who is in the top twenty in many all-time batting categories, who was remarkably durable, played for the same team for 20 years, won 5 titles, played well in championship competition, is one of the top 5 players of all time at a key position and was a pleasure to watch play. Yep, a real stinker. My 28 year old son should be so lucky to root for another such player in his lifetime.
I'm a Sox fan and I agree with pretty much all of this.

Reaction Score

Well stated and fair - I do laugh at those newbies who dare to categorize him in the top 5 Yankees.......Top 10 is even tough but more than likely reality. A really good player for a really long time on the same team. It makes a difference. I compare it to us Husky fans a little when we ask who our favorite Huskies are. Unlike UK we are fortunate to have most of our start performers stay so we do get to know the player, the person and their achievements. Like it or not fans connect with players who stay and in this day and age 20 years is unheard of.

Good post

Reaction Score
So what you have is someone who is in the top twenty in many all-time batting categories, who was remarkably durable, played for the same team for 20 years, won 5 titles, played well in championship competition, is one of the top 5 players of all time at a key position and was a pleasure to watch play.

Sounds to me like he's the Eddie Murray of shortstops. Of course, Murray was top 5 in MVP voting 5 times....but you get my point.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For the love of God, please let it go Mau.

I'm a Mets fan and I hate the Yankees, but I like and respect the guy and don't begrudge him getting a send off in whichever way he and MLB choose to do it. But your staunch defense of everything to do with the guy and your aggressive attacks on anyone who doesn't share your man-crush/idol worship is making me want to dislike him and the whole ordeal. Enough already. We get it.

Reaction Score
How's the Mets SS dong for the last 20 years? Just curious?

I'm not sure how liking the Mets makes observations about other players inaccurate. Unless you don't have any other argument to make.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Onion's post is a fair one. I wonder how many teams have ever had a player that would crack the Yankee top 5? Sox have 2.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how liking the Mets makes observations about other players inaccurate. Unless you don't have any other argument to make.

How can I make an argument with someone who hates a guy that much and obviously knows little about the game to discuss such matters? I don't blame you as being a Mets fan would make it hard to understand the game, but I thought you played. To totally disregard Jeter's achievements is, well, ignorant as fn hell! You can't argue with that.

Oh by the way he wasn't a GG SS as much or even close to what he was given, but above average easily. At least for those who watch the game and understand it a little it was obvious he was at least solid at his spot. To not be as good as Visquel, ARod, Ozzie and a few others doesn't make you bad by the way.

Have at it kid

Reaction Score
For the love of God, please let it go Mau.

I'm a Mets fan and I hate the Yankees, but I like and respect the guy and don't begrudge him getting a send off in whichever way he and MLB choose to do it. But your staunch defense of everything to do with the guy and your aggressive attacks on anyone who doesn't share your man-crush/idol worship is making me want to dislike him and the whole ordeal. Enough already. We get it.

No staunch defense here 8893 I am real about the player Jeter was. No man crush at all funny how people need to go there for whatever reason? You picturing me "pumping one off too"??

It's actually a little whacky why anyone is so whacked out about a couple of stops at stadiums and some rocking chairs and *? Not sure who's crazier here dude?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No staunch defense here 8893 I am real about the player Jeter was. No man crush at all funny how people need to go there for whatever reason? You picturing me "pumping one off too"??

Ah, no. But it is disturbing how often you've mentioned it yourself.

It's actually a little whacky why anyone is so whacked out about a couple of stops at stadiums and some rocking chairs and *? Not sure who's crazier here dude?

I'm not whacked out at all about it. Just tired of seeing this dead horse get beat to a pancake here and elsewhere on this forum with your multi-platform campaign. Not everyone loves anything, period. You're not going to change that.

Reaction Score
Onion's post is a fair one. I wonder how many teams have ever had a player that would crack the Yankee top 5? Sox have 2.

Who's the second one, unless your counting Ruth or Foxx?

Reaction Score
Sounds to me like he's the Eddie Murray of shortstops. Of course, Murray was top 5 in MVP voting 5 times....but you get my point.

Murray isn't in the top five in all time first baseman, but other than that, very similar. Playing consistently great baseball for 20 years for one team with no off-field problems - I'm happy to celebrate that. Murray was a curmudgeon with the press, which is why, along with being black, he had much less fanfare when he went out than Cal, but all his teammates loved him. A great clutch hitter, although I'm often told that like the unicorn, there is no such thing.

Reaction Score
Cy Young

I'm pretty old, but I never saw Cy play, forgot it was with the Sox. Still not sure he would crack the top five if Teddy Ballgame was in there - Ruth, Williams, Dimaggio, Gherig, Mantle (I already knocked out Yogi for Williams) - not sure if he would make it, 511 wins (mostly pre-1900) or not.

I did see Williams at Yankee Stadium when I was 8. All my dad said was "that's Ted Williams" in a tone that suggested that I was supposed to be impressed. He hit a double that day. Later on I grew to understand my father's tone of respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom