OT: NFL Postseason | The Boneyard

OT: NFL Postseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For some reason after all these years I'm interested in the NFL post season this year. I barely follow the sport but I'm drawn to it now (as with most post season in sports). Perhaps I could have been awaken by the Concussion movie.

Pats, Seahawks, Packers, Denver, Cardinals, Cincy, Steelers and of course the Panthers. All have storylines and more than 4 are playing excellent football at the end of the year. The common denominator is outstanding QBs and some teams with excellent defense and running games. It will be extremely tough for Pats to repeat but can't ever rule them out.

I expect the next couple of weekends to be sensational.

Reaction Score
For some reason after all these years I'm interested in the NFL post season this year. I barely follow the sport but I'm drawn to it now (as with most post season in sports). Perhaps I could have been awaken by the Concussion movie.

Pats, Seahawks, Packers, Denver, Cardinals, Cincy, Steelers and of course the Panthers. All have storylines and more than 4 are playing excellent football at the end of the year. The common denominator is outstanding QBs and some teams with excellent defense and running games. It will be extremely tough for Pats to repeat but can't ever rule them out.

I expect the next couple of weekends to be sensational.

I know Andy Reid's teams have a tendency to implode, and Alex Smith is underwhelming, but the Chiefs should be the favorite in the AFC. Steelers fans were actually rooting against them yesterday so that Tomlin would be fired. That's how bad they are. Cincy is limping without Dalton, and unless the Manning of yesterday's second half is going to show up consistently, they are on Cincy's level. The Patriots' problems are well documented. Unless Vollmer and Edelman return healthy, it's not going to happen. The Packers look done to me. Seattle, Arizona, Carolina look like the 3 favorites to win the Super Bowl with the Chiefs being the 4th.

Reaction Score
Seahawks are the team to beat but they will need to do it on the road.

Just beat the Panthers and Pats and all will be well. Now if they play each other - I will not know which way to go:eek:

Reaction Score
I know Andy Reid's teams have a tendency to implode, and Alex Smith is underwhelming, but the Chiefs should be the favorite in the AFC. Steelers fans were actually rooting against them yesterday so that Tomlin would be fired. That's how bad they are. Cincy is limping without Dalton, and unless the Manning of yesterday's second half is going to show up consistently, they are on Cincy's level. The Patriots' problems are well documented. Unless Vollmer and Edelman return healthy, it's not going to happen. The Packers look done to me. Seattle, Arizona, Carolina look like the 3 favorites to win the Super Bowl with the Chiefs being the 4th.
The pats have been losing air as the season comes to a close (no pun intended, pats fan here). The injuries have just been off the hook. Against the jets last week when their Left OG went out, I'm pretty sure he was their 3rd string at that spot. Its been ugly.

Reaction Score
The pats have been losing air as the season comes to a close (no pun intended, pats fan here). The injuries have just been off the hook. Against the jets last week when their Left OG went out, I'm pretty sure he was their 3rd string at that spot. Its been ugly.

Yeah, as I was watching last week, they said La'Adrian Waddle will replace Vollmer at LT, who himself took over after Nate Solder and then Marcus Cannon went down. When they announced Waddle, I said, "who?" Apparently, they had picked up and signed Waddle off the street on Wednesday. And then, funny thing, Waddle got injured during the game. 4 LTs hurt. So they had the backup center come on and play. They had two TEs helping him on that side, and no one going out for passes. It would have been better to get blown out at that point, because then you could take Brady out of the game, but somehow the Patriots took it to overtime despite getting thoroughly dominated.

Reaction Score
Yeah, as I was watching last week, they said La'Adrian Waddle will replace Vollmer at LT, who himself took over after Nate Solder and then Marcus Cannon went down. When they announced Waddle, I said, "who?" Apparently, they had picked up and signed Waddle off the street on Wednesday. And then, funny thing, Waddle got injured during the game. 4 LTs hurt. So they had the backup center come on and play. They had two TEs helping him on that side, and no one going out for passes. It would have been better to get blown out at that point, because then you could take Brady out of the game, but somehow the Patriots took it to overtime despite getting thoroughly dominated.
Couldn't remember his name. Waddle that's it. Granted it, I don't keep up with the roster like I used to, but when you're 3rd and 4th string OL are getting pressed into action and getting injured, you're in a world of hurt. That is where the Pats are at the moment.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I am excited for the Pats getting 2 weeks off and getting their lame healthy. AND there is something about Steven Jackson that has me thinking he is going to be a huge key to something special.

We have Brady and Gronk. Nobody else does. :O

Reaction Score
Well at least we have a QB controversy in Denver to keep things interesting. Was a ballsy call to put in a Peyton, but only one of the 5 turnovers against the Chargers was on Osweiller, and he got pulled after CJ Anderson fumbled on their first possession of the second half.

However, something needed to change, and the offense without a doubt seemed energized after Peyton came in and they put 20 points on the board in the second half, mostly due to players not fumbling, better pass pro and running game.

The Denver D finishes #1 in yards allowed, #1 in pass defense, #3 in rush defense, and #1 overall, and may be the best D denver has ever had.

Steelers are the popular pick to beat the Broncos, which probably makes sense. Can the Denver D do a better job against that passing attack? Will the Steelers even beat the Bengals?

Reaction Score

Please introduce me to the Steelers fans that were rooting against their team to lose. I will then punch them in the face.

Sincerely, every jet fan everywhere.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
The NFL is the best and most popular sport in the word for a reason... lots of story lines and exciting television. Playoffs will be no different.

Enjoy the NFL now while it's at its peak, because I think the sport will begin to change dramatically over the next 10 years as concerns over player health/brain injury become more prevalent. Kids are already starting to be steered away from football and towards other sports. I think the player population and rules changes will effect the game in the years to come.

Reaction Score
Please introduce me to the Steelers fans that were rooting against their team to lose. I will then punch them in the face.

Sincerely, every jet fan everywhere.

Friend sent a video clip of a bar in Cranberry where he watched the game. They cheered a Roethlisberger INT and were chanting Fire Tomlin.

Reaction Score

Lol the Chiefs.

Reaction Score
Seahawks are the team to beat but they will need to do it on the road.

Just beat the Panthers and Pats and all will be well. Now if they play each other - I will not know which way to go:eek:

Relax, the Seahawks are only 1 week removed from losing to the Rams. The Cards just packed it in early yesterday after seeing Carolina jump all over Tampa to secure the 1. Both Carolina and Zona beat the Hawks in Seattle this year too.

I am excited for the Pats getting 2 weeks off and getting their lame healthy. AND there is something about Steven Jackson that has me thinking he is going to be a huge key to something special.

We have Brady and Gronk. Nobody else does. :O

As long as Edelman is 85-90% or better we should be alright. Line doesn't even need to be that great in pass protection because Brady can just get rid of the ball in 1.5 seconds as long as both Edelman/Amendola are healthy.

The NFL is the best and most popular sport in the word for a reason... lots of story lines and exciting television. Playoffs will be no different.

Enjoy the NFL now while it's at its peak, because I think the sport will begin to change dramatically over the next 10 years as concerns over player health/brain injury become more prevalent. Kids are already starting to be steered away from football and towards other sports. I think the player population and rules changes will effect the game in the years to come.

It wont matter. All those SEC recruiting hotbeds in the deep south/Florida/Texas will keep pumping out players. I guarantee you there's a high concentration of people that are actually seriously concerned about concussion symptoms in the northeast and California, and that nobody else really cares or is worried enough to steer their children away from football.

Well at least we have a QB controversy in Denver to keep things interesting. Was a ballsy call to put in a Peyton, but only one of the 5 turnovers against the Chargers was on Osweiller, and he got pulled after CJ Anderson fumbled on their first possession of the second half.

However, something needed to change, and the offense without a doubt seemed energized after Peyton came in and they put 20 points on the board in the second half, mostly due to players not fumbling, better pass pro and running game.

The Denver D finishes #1 in yards allowed, #1 in pass defense, #3 in rush defense, and #1 overall, and may be the best D denver has ever had.

Steelers are the popular pick to beat the Broncos, which probably makes sense. Can the Denver D do a better job against that passing attack? Will the Steelers even beat the Bengals?

This Steelers team is that team that the public loses tons of money every year betting on. Only problem is that the AFC field is so weak that it's hard to actually pull the trigger betting against them to beat Cincy and Denver with all the issues each team has.

Reaction Score
This is one of the stranger years I can remember - Seattle, Arizona and Carolina all look like they'd breeze through the AFC. Whoever comes out of the NFC will have earned it to say the least.

The AFC this year is just...strange. Denver's offense is just putrid, and I don't think a "healthy" Peyton will change that. The Patriots are getting healthy, but they haven't looked like a good football team in a couple months, and I'm skeptical they can just turn it on. And Cinci is, well, Cinci.

Should be fascinating to see how it all plays out.

Reaction Score
This is one of the stranger years I can remember - Seattle, Arizona and Carolina all look like they'd breeze through the AFC. Whoever comes out of the NFC will have earned it to say the least.

The AFC this year is just...strange. Denver's offense is just putrid, and I don't think a "healthy" Peyton will change that. The Patriots are getting healthy, but they haven't looked like a good football team in a couple months, and I'm skeptical they can just turn it on. And Cinci is, well, Cinci.

Should be fascinating to see how it all plays out.

This is one of those years where I really don't know who to pick for all the reasons you just said. A possible matchup with Seattle-Carolina could very well be the Super Bowl.

Reaction Score
I have given up trying to figure out post seasons in sports. How many times have you seen a team look unbeatable in an NCAA post season conference tournament and then spit the bit in the NCAA tourney. Just look at the 2011 UConn season. UConn was 4-7 in their last 11 regular season games. How many people thought they were on the cusp of an 11 game win streak and a NC? It seems though that more times than not the team that wins it all over comes some type of adversity in the post season. Like the Ravens game last year for the Pats or the St Joe's game in 2013 for UConn. I will just watch and figure it out afterwords.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I know Andy Reid's teams have a tendency to implode, and Alex Smith is underwhelming, but the Chiefs should be the favorite in the AFC. Steelers fans were actually rooting against them yesterday so that Tomlin would be fired. That's how bad they are. Cincy is limping without Dalton, and unless the Manning of yesterday's second half is going to show up consistently, they are on Cincy's level. The Patriots' problems are well documented. Unless Vollmer and Edelman return healthy, it's not going to happen. .

Every single guy is going to be back for the Pats in their first game. I've heard Edelman could have played against Miami, but they deemed the extra rest as a better investment. There's a lot of guys on the roster that need to heal, including a number that played yesterday. Both McCourty and Chung didn't look right. Nink either. Amendola probably could have handled a full load yesterday, but they pushed him back early last time, so better to be conservative again. I've no idea on Jones' injury, nor the extent of Vollmer's.

The only injury I worry about is Brady's. No idea the extent of the sprain.

Reaction Score
I have given up trying to figure out post seasons in sports. How many times have you seen a team look unbeatable in an NCAA post season conference tournament and then spit the bit in the NCAA tourney. Just look at the 2011 UConn season. UConn was 4-7 in their last 11 regular season games. How many people thought they were on the cusp of an 11 game win streak and a NC? It seems though that more times than not the team that wins it all over comes some type of adversity in the post season. Like the Ravens game last year for the Pats or the St Joe's game in 2013 for UConn. I will just watch and figure it out afterwords.

I think the Ravens lost 5 of 6 regular season games in 2012, then won the superbowl not with their defense led by Ray Lewis, but with Joe Flacco slinging prayers downfield to receivers who literally caught anything remotely near them. Watch Houston win the AFC.

Reaction Score
I think the Ravens lost 5 of 6 regular season games in 2012, then won the superbowl not with their defense led by Ray Lewis, but with Joe Flacco slinging prayers downfield to receivers who literally caught anything remotely near them. Watch Houston win the AFC.
Remember the Colts in 2006? Their defense was horrible all season and actually became their strength in the post season. The post season defensive improvement was the main reason the Giants won in 2007.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

They've been the most injured team in the league this year looking at some metrics:

From Man Games Lost (a nice source of info for this sort of thing): The New England Patriots (245), New York Giants (236), and Baltimore Ravens (235) led the league in number of games lost to injury.

The injuries have been absurd this year. And it's been the best players too. Currently, it's Edelman, Jones, Hightower, Vollmer, Freeny, Amendola, McCourty, Chung, and (gulp) Brady. Among others. That's pretty much a list of the best players on the team right there. Throw in Gronk, Collins, LaFell, who have all spent time on the sideline this year. This all ignores injured reserve, with players like Solder, Lewis, Blount, Wendell et al They also had one of the highest number of injured reserves this year (I think Baltimore led the league).

intlzncster

Reaction Score

A big part of that was due to Ray Lewis's 'miraculous' deer-antler-spray recovery and return to the playoffs. That spark was undeniable. They also got real lucky against the Broncos (not an insult--got to have luck to win it all).

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It would have been better to get blown out at that point, because then you could take Brady out of the game, but somehow the Patriots took it to overtime despite getting thoroughly dominated.

This is one of the main reasons I'm confident for the playoffs. They were in at the last minute of every game they lost (except Miami -- but even that was close enough). Without an enormous amount of players, they're still there.

The only thing that matters at this point is recovery (from injury).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom