OT: NFL Postseason | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: NFL Postseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Who has the healthiest team?

The Cincinnati Bengals (85), Miami Dolphins (87), and Denver Broncos (91) were the league’s least injured teams.

Obviously Miami not in it. Suprised the Dalton injury didn't skew Bengals results more. Must have lost very few guys. Dalton might be back for the playoffs too.

Reaction Score
This is one of the main reasons I'm confident for the playoffs. They were in at the last minute of every game they lost (except Miami -- but even that was close enough). Without an enormous amount of players, they're still there.

The only thing that matters at this point is recovery (from injury).

Hard to not be confident, you can say the Pats haven't truly lost a game outside of that wonky Eagles once in a decade type of scoring off of turnovers debacle. People forget how much this team was rolling when everyone was healthy. As long as White can continue to roughly approximate Dion's receiving out of the backfield I'd expect that to continue through the AFC bracket at least.

Reaction Score
The NFL is the best and most popular sport in the word for a reason... lots of story lines and exciting television. Playoffs will be no different.

Enjoy the NFL now while it's at its peak, because I think the sport will begin to change dramatically over the next 10 years as concerns over player health/brain injury become more prevalent. Kids are already starting to be steered away from football and towards other sports. I think the player population and rules changes will effect the game in the years to come.
The NFL already is more limited, since it is nowhere near the most popular sport in the world. It's popularity is North American, and it has struggled to expand globally, in ways that other American sports have--basketball mostly, but baseball and volleyball also.

As to people being steered away on top of this: yup. It's happening and it will continue to happen. The game in the near future is going to look much different. It already does, but I think we'll see more seismic changes.

Reaction Score
^ Guarantee there wont be any massive changes to the sport other than simple in game strategic implementations.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Lol the Chiefs.

The Chiefs have won a ton in a row, and that does mean something in the NFL. That said, they've played only one legit (playoff) club in the past 9 games or so (Broncos).

They are one of the most balanced teams, but they aren't really good at anything.

And Andy Reid.

Reaction Score
I know Andy Reid's teams have a tendency to implode, and Alex Smith is underwhelming, but the Chiefs should be the favorite in the AFC. Steelers fans were actually rooting against them yesterday so that Tomlin would be fired. That's how bad they are. Cincy is limping without Dalton, and unless the Manning of yesterday's second half is going to show up consistently, they are on Cincy's level. The Patriots' problems are well documented. Unless Vollmer and Edelman return healthy, it's not going to happen. The Packers look done to me. Seattle, Arizona, Carolina look like the 3 favorites to win the Super Bowl with the Chiefs being the 4th.

The Steelers are bad? They won six of their last eight, four of their six losses were by one score or fewer (and one of the others was sans Roethlisberger) and their offense is putting up some ridiculous numbers.

Reaction Score
The NFL is the best and most popular sport in the word for a reason... lots of story lines and exciting television. Playoffs will be no different.

Enjoy the NFL now while it's at its peak, because I think the sport will begin to change dramatically over the next 10 years as concerns over player health/brain injury become more prevalent. Kids are already starting to be steered away from football and towards other sports. I think the player population and rules changes will effect the game in the years to come.

Do you really think the NFL is at it's peak right now? IMO, the quality of play is down this year.

Reaction Score
The Chiefs have won a ton in a row, and that does mean something in the NFL. That said, they've played only one legit (playoff) club in the past 9 games or so (Broncos).

They are one of the most balanced teams, but they aren't really good at anything.

And Andy Reid.

Their defense is very good. Hali and Houston are probably the best pass rushing duo in the league.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Die hard Vikes fan. Now that I have that out of the way...

I think Seattle is just clicking right now and will be hard to beat. They look hungry to get back. They are fierce.
I was leaning towards a rematch with Pats until the last couple of weeks but I think Pitt in AFC - either way the NFC has the far better teams in my eyes.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Their defense is very good. Hali and Houston are probably the best pass rushing duo in the league.

Is that a result of who they've played though? I don't have an answer to that mind you.

I'd put Ware and Miller up against those guys. Also, Sheard/Jones would be in the mix when healthy -> remember, they play a disciplined gap-style defense, but if they were allowed to pin their ears back and let loose every play, they'd put up some big numbers.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The Steelers are bad? They won six of their last eight, four of their six losses were by one score or fewer (and one of the others was sans Roethlisberger) and their offense is putting up some ridiculous numbers.

Not to mention, they've the best wide out in the league. Apologies to Beckham fans, but nobody does as much as Antonio Brown. He's the most versatile WR out there.

I'm not sold on their young D at this point, but they are a very dangerous team.

Reaction Score

You feel that this is the NFL at its peak? I'm 31 and this feels like the worst product the NFL has ever put out. I know the NFL is king and that won't be changing soon but the game is awful right now.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You feel that this is the NFL at its peak? I'm 31 and this feels like the worst product the NFL has ever put out. I know the NFL is king and that won't be changing soon but the game is awful right now.

I don't know about the worst, as there have been other bad years that might stack up, but it hasn't been great across the board. I don't have the numbers, but it feels like there has been a lot of significant injuries this year (might be because I'm a Pats fan and biased about that).

The changing of the rules have definitely impacted the game as well. It's a much different product than 5 or 10 years ago. It's really true that d backs can barely play any D. The OPI emphasis is garbage, and there's too much subjectivity (both ways) in the d backfield.

I also think we are in a transition period for quarterbacks (which in today's game takes on added significance). The great quarterbacks from 5+ years ago are old and on the downswing; only Brady has really kept up his play. And many of the young guys haven't hit their primes yet. Only Newton and Wilson are entering or at their prime. Everyone else (Luck included) isn't quite there yet.

Footballs so popular because Americans like to watch people beating the living snot out of each other. That and it's so ingrained (especially in the south): high school -> college -> pro. There's nothing like it in terms of fan support at all three levels.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Every single guy is going to be back for the Pats in their first game. I've heard Edelman could have played against Miami, but they deemed the extra rest as a better investment. There's a lot of guys on the roster that need to heal, including a number that played yesterday. Both McCourty and Chung didn't look right. Nink either. Amendola probably could have handled a full load yesterday, but they pushed him back early last time, so better to be conservative again. I've no idea on Jones' injury, nor the extent of Vollmer's.

The only injury I worry about is Brady's. No idea the extent of the sprain.

As a Cowboys fan, I wouldn't be too confident of Edelman's return. He may come back, but Dez came back in a similar time frame and was never fully healthy all season. It seems like these foot injuries take a long time to fully heal to the point where the player is 100%.

Reaction Score
Not to mention, they've the best wide out in the league. Apologies to Beckham fans, but nobody does as much as Antonio Brown. He's the most versatile WR out there.

I'm not sold on their young D at this point, but they are a very dangerous team.

I just feel the Bengals are going to handle them. Ben just has a tendency to implode. He tries to do too much. I see Adam Jones, Burfict and Nelson terrorizing him. They are going to put Nelson and a CB on Brown. They'll cause INTs.

And the Steelers D won't be able to handle AJGreen.

I wouldn't take Pittsburgh in this game with anything less than +6.

I really really hope I'm wrong. I will be rooting for the Steelers. I want to see them go into Denver rather than Kansas City who always seems to wilt on big stages. I don't want to see Alex Smith in Denver though I admit I would be intrigued by watching Hali and Houston get after that Denver offensive line.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
As a Cowboys fan, I wouldn't be too confident of Edelman's return. He may come back, but Dez came back in a similar time frame and was never fully healthy all season. It seems like these foot injuries take a long time to fully heal to the point where the player is 100%.

They had Dez come back too early though. Edelman's gonna have too extra weeks off. Also, who knows how well each player heals? Edelman at 80% is still quicker than most DBs. Getting Amendola back to full strength will help tremendously as well. He's not been right for a month now.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

Should clarify... peak popularity. There's no arguing it's more popular than it's ever been.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I just feel the Bengals are going to handle them. Ben just has a tendency to implode. He tries to do too much. I see Adam Jones, Burfict and Nelson terrorizing him. They are going to put Nelson and a CB on Brown. They'll cause INTs.

And the Steelers D won't be able to handle AJGreen.

I wouldn't take Pittsburgh in this game with anything less than +6.

I really really hope I'm wrong. I will be rooting for the Steelers. I want to see them go into Denver rather than Kansas City who always seems to wilt on big stages. I don't want to see Alex Smith in Denver though I admit I would be intrigued by watching Hali and Houston get after that Denver offensive line.

I don't know if this will happen, but I could see the Bengals giving a less than 100% Dalton the start, having him underperform for a variety of reasons, and the Steelers rolling. I see the Steelers beating the Broncos in Denver (where Manning will wilt). I know the Broncos D is rated damn near the top of every defensive category, but I don't rate them as highly as everyone else. They are particularly vulnerable to fast/quick receivers like Brown, and good tight ends (like Gronk).

We'll see, one thing I do know, is that there are some great matchups this year. So wide open. It's exciting.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
They had Dez come back too early though. Edelman's gonna have too extra weeks off. Also, who knows how well each player heals? Edelman at 80% is still quicker than most DBs. Getting Amendola back to full strength will help tremendously as well. He's not been right for a month now.

All I'm saying is, don't be shocked if he doesn't plug back in and go back to being as great as he was without skipping a beat. Dez being on the team still helped, but he was clearly not 100%.

Reaction Score
All I'm saying is, don't be shocked if he doesn't plug back in and go back to being as great as he was without skipping a beat. Dez being on the team still helped, but he was clearly not 100%.

I'm more concerned about practice time and Brady getting in synch with him. Brady's high ankle sprain is going to keep him out of practice.

Reaction Score
I don't know if this will happen, but I could see the Bengals giving a less than 100% Dalton the start, having him underperform for a variety of reasons, and the Steelers rolling. I see the Steelers beating the Broncos in Denver (where Manning will wilt). I know the Broncos D is rated damn near the top of every defensive category, but I don't rate them as highly as everyone else. They are particularly vulnerable to fast/quick receivers like Brown, and good tight ends (like Gronk).

We'll see, one thing I do know, is that there are some great matchups this year. So wide open. It's exciting.

Denver's D is thin at safety right now. It lacked depth to start and injuries have made it worse. Keep an eye on that Darian Stewart hamstring injury. If he's not healthy, street FA's will see big time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is an opinion.

This isn't true, the NFL is barely top 10.
yea this too, NFL is king in the US but the rest of the world doesn't give a damn.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

True. Unfortunately for the Pats, they've got a number of guys you could say that about. Still can't believe they are in the position they are, given all the injuries this year. It's one of BB's best and most underrated coaching and roster building jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom