OT: NBA Offseason | Page 16 | The Boneyard

OT: NBA Offseason

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The Lakers ended the 2018 with a good young team that had won 35 games in a tough West despite Lonzo Ball and Ingram missing over a quarter of the season each, and they barely played Brook Lopez. Then they add LeBron. If they had stopped right there, they would have won 55+ games this past season and challenged the Warriors in the West.

Instead they made stupid move after stupid move, until now they have gutted their roster and their future for what is effectively one year of Anthony Davis. Ball, Ingram, Hart, Randle, and Lopez are gone, in addition to 3 first round draft picks.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Reaction Score
If AD and LeBron stay healthy, they're going to win games. LeBron won games with worse rosters than this, and a AD is the best player he's every played with. Or, maybe Wade was, but they overlapped more than AD and he do.

But they aren't the favorites. They're probably a 50 win team that can snag the 3-4 seed. If the two stay healthy.

Reaction Score
If AD and LeBron stay healthy, they're going to win games. LeBron won games with worse rosters than this, and a AD is the best player he's every played with. Or, maybe Wade was, but they overlapped more than AD and he do.

But they aren't the favorites. They're probably a 50 win team that can snag the 3-4 seed. If the two stay healthy.
There are like 6 teams that are 50 win teams out West. Just crazy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

LeBron has not played with a roster this bad since his first few years in the League. This team is going to be terrible after Davis, Kuzma and Green, and Lebron is not the same player he was even 3 years ago.

I don't think the Lakers win 50 games, and I don't even think they make the playoffs, unless they add someone really good, but the Lakers have nothing to trade anymore, so they can't pickup Gasol or someone like that.

The Pelicans are incredibly deep, and the Mavericks are going to be very good too. These other teams aren't going to just get out of the way because its LeBron.

Reaction Score
LeBron has not played with a roster this bad since his first few years in the League. This team is going to be terrible after Davis, Kuzma and Green, and Lebron is not the same player he was even 3 years ago.

I don't think the Lakers win 50 games, and I don't even think they make the playoffs, unless they add someone really good, but the Lakers have nothing to trade anymore, so they can't pickup Gasol or someone like that.

The Pelicans are incredibly deep, and the Mavericks are going to be very good too. These other teams aren't going to just get out of the way because its LeBron.

Lakers have two of the top like 5-10 guys in the league and at least actually put some shooters around them this time. I still think all the sky is falling with them is way overblown. Lebron plus a bunch of guys who can catch and shoot has proven to be a good team forever. Add AD's roll threat and rim protection and they will win games.

Their biggest problem is a lack of a second ballhandler. I think the guy that could've really helped them would've been... Rose, actually. I think maybe Satoransky would've been the other guy.

Looking at possible buyouts at pg and it's... not great. maybe Dragic or Delly or Clarkson? lol

Reaction Score
This has to be the best off-season ever right? I mean I feel like every couple years there is talk of the "NBA landscape" completely changing but this is the first time I remember it actually happening. This league has parity with a handful of teams with superstar pairings and 4-5 teams that are good enough through the sum of their parts to win a championship. This might be the NBA's golden era.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Lakers have two of the top like 5-10 guys in the league and at least actually put some shooters around them this time. I still think all the sky is falling # 2 with them is way overblown. Lebron plus a bunch of guys who can catch and shoot has proven to be a good team forever. Add AD's roll threat and rim protection and they will win games.

Their biggest problem is a lack of a second ballhandler. I think the guy that could've really helped them would've been... Rose, actually. I think maybe Satoransky would've been the other guy.

Looking at possible buyouts at pg and it's... not great. maybe Dragic or Delly or Clarkson? lol

Dragic would be a huge pickup for the Lakers, but that is the kind of splash they need to make just to make the playoffs, and even a guy like Dragic has warts because he is a huge injury risk.

The sky is falling on the Lakers. That is not an exaggeration.

The Lakers would have been better off not trading for AD but signing him next year, and playing LeBron in like 50 games this season, effectively giving him the season off to protect his body.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This has to be the best off-season ever right? I mean I feel like every couple years there is talk of the "NBA landscape" completely changing but this is the first time I remember it actually happening. This league has parity with a handful of teams with superstar pairings and 4-5 teams that are good enough through the sum of their parts to win a championship. This might be the NBA's golden era.

It is definitely the Golden Era of the NBA. I also think that "Superstars" are wildly overated. Paul George or LeBron James are not a different species, they are just really good players, but they guys they are going up against are pretty good too for the most part. LeBron has been the best player in the League for about 12 years, and he still needed a lot of help to win his championships. The Freak is the closest thing there is to someone that could be on a different plane from the rest of the League, but he still needs to get a jump shot.

There are 5 teams in the West and 4 in the East that are all pretty close as title contenders. Next season is going to be awesome.

Reaction Score
Dragic would be a huge pickup for the Lakers, but that is the kind of splash they need to make just to make the playoffs, and even a guy like Dragic has warts because he is a huge injury risk.

The sky is falling on the Lakers. That is not an exaggeration.

The Lakers would have been better off not trading for AD but signing him next year, and playing LeBron in like 50 games this season, effectively giving him the season off to protect his body.

They don't need Dragic to make the playoffs. They could still win 50 with their current roster. I don't think it's gonna happen, but it's definitely a playoff team. I mean the Thunder are going into full rebuild mode and the Lakers are easily the favorites to replace them as far as playoff teams go. No other team that missed the playoffs last year in the West even really improved in the offseason.

Reaction Score
They don't need Dragic to make the playoffs. They could still win 50 with their current roster. I don't think it's gonna happen, but it's definitely a playoff team. I mean the Thunder are going into full rebuild mode and the Lakers are easily the favorites to replace them as far as playoff teams go. No other team that missed the playoffs last year in the West even really improved in the offseason.
The Mavericks improved, I'd say. Porzingas will be on the court, and even at 60% is an improvement on old Dirk and whoever else they were playing. Plus Luka is a year older. Still, OKC is out, and I think AD/LeBron is better than the Kings and the Mavs if healthy.

This roster is better than any he had in his first stint in Cleveland. AD and Kuzma are better than anyone he had then. And a healthy LeBron is a more efficient player now now. Better? No. But he doesn't have to be if AD is healthy. He can be the point guard, the second leading scorer, etc.

This team is an injury to LeBron or AD away from missing the playoffs, and given AD's history and LeBron's mileage, that might be the most likely scenario. But granted health, and granted shooters, the team will win games.

Reaction Score
I know y’all are probably sleeping by now, but insanity just happened. PG and Kawhi to the Clippers. Having them and Beverly is a good start to building an NBA defense.

Holy sheeeeeeet, talk about shifting the power in basketball and sticking it to the Lakers. Kawhi just went up another level in my book. Kawhi, PG, and Beverly are gonna cause teams fits on D. Love it!

Reaction Score
So Big 3 days are essentially over because the best players want depth. And so that they can relax. Kawhi just revolutionized the NBA. Toronto couldn't match the Clippers for George. Had they, Kawhi would have stayed in Toronto. The players recognize the market Canada provides now.

Lakers should win some but really lack depth. Thunder and Knicks look inept. You don't make a trade for draft picks with a Jerry West-run team. It's unlikely they'll be lottery picks.

Reaction Score
This is gonna be the most interesting season ever, got the northeast with the Celtics, Nets, 76ers, and just throw in the Knicks for entertainment I guess. The West Coast you got the Warriors of course, Clippers, Lakers and Kings.

Reaction Score
So Big 3 days are essentially over because the best players want depth. And so that they can relax. Kawhi just revolutionized the NBA. Toronto couldn't match the Clippers for George. Had they, Kawhi would have stayed in Toronto. The players recognize the market Canada provides now.

Lakers should win some but really lack depth. Thunder and Knicks look inept. You don't make a trade for draft picks with a Jerry West-run team. It's unlikely they'll be lottery picks.

Two of the draft picks come from Miami. They have five first-rounders with the possibility of two pick swaps. And this is in addition to a very promising young player in Alexander. This is a massive haul for George and Oklahoma City should be commended.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And absolutely nobody in the league wants Russell Westbrook.

To be clear, no one wants a massive contract with 4 years left on it for a soon to be 31 year old guard that depends on his athleticism. Westbrook is still a top player, for now. The contract is a problem.

Reaction Score

The Thunder turned Serge Ibaka into 7 1sts, Gallinari, and Gilgous-Alexander. Not sure inept is the word I'd go with

Reaction Score
This is a massive haul for George and Oklahoma City should be commended.
Yes and no. If the Clippers stay good, the pick swaps are worthless and the draft picks will be in the 20s. It's good, yes, but it's only very good if the Clippers fall off in 3-4 years.

If I'm the Thunder, since you aren't going to be able to trade Westbrook, I'm thinking about how to package these picks in a year or two for good players.

Reaction Score
Two of the draft picks come from Miami. They have five first-rounders with the possibility of two pick swaps. And this is in addition to a very promising young player in Alexander. This is a massive haul for George and Oklahoma City should be commended.
Durant gone, Harden gone, Ibaka gone, Paul George gone. Westbrook stays. They managed to keep the one guy nobody wants to play with.

That's an unbelievable amount of talent with nothing to show for it and now they need a complete reset.

Reaction Score
Guess Westbrook can have fun putting up some more triple-double seasons.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom