OT: - OT My newest visitor... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: OT My newest visitor...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Los Angeles. The picture doesn't quite do it justice. It was about 3 and half feet when stretched out and thick. Larger than I'm comfortable dealing with so we called the fire department. They showed up with snake catching stuff and a flat head shovel, but it escaped under the fence into the brush. They said, 'we don't chase them.' So now I have a pissed off rattle snake in the brush outside my fence. Cool.
What area of LA? I have little grandchildren who live near UCLA. They’ve had coyotes in the area.

Reaction Score
I found a snake in the Garden too...

Reaction Score
Had a uncle who after a little to much Gentleman Jack tried to remove a baby copperhead from his property. Almost lost his thumb. Now his wife won't let him drink the Jack anymore.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
What area of LA? I have little grandchildren who live near UCLA. They’ve had coyotes in the area.
I doubt there are many rattlers near UCLA unless they have a lot of mountain terrain around them. Basically, even a regular street will stop rattlesnakes. They just don't want to cross open exposed things like that. My backyard backs up to the Angles National Forest so there are miles and miles without streets for them to roam in. I have a friend who lives 1/4 mile from me and there a couple of streets between him and the forest and he hasn't seen a single rattlesnake in 25+ years of living there.

Reaction Score
I doubt there are many rattlers near UCLA unless they have a lot of mountain terrain around them. Basically, even a regular street will stop rattlesnakes. They just don't want to cross open exposed things like that. My backyard backs up to the Angles National Forest so there are miles and miles without streets for them to roam in. I have a friend who lives 1/4 mile from me and there a couple of streets between him and the forest and he hasn't seen a single rattlesnake in 25+ years of living there.

What about Mountain Lions?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
amount of rattles??
There's more than 8.
I can count 12 pretty clearly on the picture. That would mean the snake is between 6 and 10 years old. After doing some research today, I'm pretty sure it's a Southern Pacific Rattlesnake. Apparently, they have some pretty potent venom. The banding on the end of the body with the extra long final segment gives it away. Crotalus oreganus helleri - Wikipedia

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
What about Mountain Lions?
Never seen a mountain lion or bear behind my house, but they get spotted not far away so there's always that chance. I have seen a couple of bob cats, lots of deer, and dozens of different species of lizards. Also the usual possums, squirrels, raccoons, and the such.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I can count 12 pretty clearly on the picture. That would mean the snake is between 6 and 10 years old. After doing some research today, I'm pretty sure it's a Southern Pacific Rattlesnake. Apparently, they have some pretty potent venom. The banding on the end of the body with the extra long final segment gives it away. Crotalus oreganus helleri - Wikipedia

r/whatsthissnake

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Interesting.

Most stuff I have heard or read say copperheads are generally docile unless absolutely cornered.

Moccasins and some rattlers are known to have nasty dispositions.

All that being said I am fortunate enough to have zero first hand knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

A Southern Pacific rattlesnake...so it's comfortable riding the rails in box cars.

Reaction Score
Interesting.

Most stuff I have heard or read say copperheads are generally docile unless absolutely cornered.

Moccasins and some rattlers are known to have nasty dispositions.

All that being said I am fortunate enough to have zero first hand knowledge.
You could be right. It might be moccasins that I'm thinking of.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I don’t know if it’s still a problem, but as of a few years ago UCLA campus had a night time problem with rats. Plenty of meat for rattlesnakes and now Mick Cronin is added to the menu.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
luv me sum fresh smoked rattler, and the canned stuff they sell ain't bad either. while looking for that to post, I found this instead. its funnier

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom