OT: McGregor Mayweather Press Conferences | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: McGregor Mayweather Press Conferences

Reaction Score
Interesting moment in the London presser today. Mayweather called McGregor a "cigarette". Curious to see if the public hits that as hard as other similar uses of a slur in the media.
You're amazing, out of all the racist stuff McGregor has been saying this is where you want to go with it. It's all a staged joke since they are flying around together but McGregor has managed to make Floyd look a bit classy by comparison in the buildup to this nonsense.

Reaction Score
Stand up MMS style. There are different kinds. Wrestler? Muay Thai? The types of stances in MMS very widely.

McGregors normal stance is very upright, hips forward, and he kind of lurches when he punches (this is all from memory. I haven't looked or care to look carefully). He keeps his hands lower than a boxer to defend take downs, and keeps his legs closer together to help with kicks muay thai style.

In this stance, McGregor will not be able to generate enough speed or power to contend with Floyd even of he was a good boxer.

His only chance is not to fight MMa style in my opinion. It's to use his length early in the fight to try for a lucky hit while Floyd is cocky.
Your pretty much saying what im saying. My point was to be as awkward as possible and stay away rom being too conventional. That being said he has no chance and floyd is going to box his ears off. I was just throwing out some hypothetical scenario. In actuality i dont see how McGregor wins this or even hangs around the distance. I think the fight gets stopped.

Reaction Score
You're amazing, out of all the racist stuff McGregor has been saying this is where you want to go with it. It's all a staged joke since they are flying around together but McGregor has managed to make Floyd look a bit classy by comparison in the buildup to this nonsense.

They're not flying together. Dan Rafael has confirmed that there's been 2-3 private jets as part of the traveling party.

Reaction Score
Supposedly it was Brandon Rios, but when called and asked Rios denied ever meeting McGregor. Even if they didn't get the right guy I bet he did get KOd
Ill treat it as a rumor until its confirmed. I dont like to go by heresay thats not been substantiated. Theres always a tale of a guy getting kod by in sparring before a big fight. Most of the time its bs. That being said it would not surprise me if he got kod.

Reaction Score
I don't think you can compare the word cigarette to the n-word if that's where you're going.

That's not where I was going at all. Calling someone a cigarette in that manner, he was mad and it was a slight at his manhood, is a pretty serious slur. Does anyone even care? Is he getting carte blanche and can say whatever he wants? Other athletes that have used similar slurs have gotten more media attention for it (John Rocker, Kobe Bryant, etc).

Reaction Score

I didn't clear McGregor of anything he's said. I simply pointed out that Mayweather called someone a cigarette with no repercussions. Are you okay with using that word?

Reaction Score
I didn't clear McGregor of anything he's said. I simply pointed out that Mayweather called someone a cigarette with no repercussions. Are you okay with using that word?
I don't use it and don't like hearing it. I find their press conferences to be a bit disturbing with McGregor making me cringe a whole lot more than Mayweather has.

Reaction Score
I don't use it and don't like hearing it. I find their press conferences to be a bit disturbing with McGregor making me cringe a whole lot more than Mayweather has.
I gotta tell you, I like McGregor but when he said "dance for me boy", I cringed, and I don't usually get bothered by such stuff.

Reaction Score
I gotta tell you, I like McGregor but when he said "dance for me boy", I cringed, and I don't usually get bothered by such stuff.
He's been doing a lot of that. And the Rocky comment about the "dancing monkeys." Now he says he's not rscist because he always listens to rap and jokes about being black below the belt. I always tbought the guy was funny but this is all unseemly.

Reaction Score
That's not where I was going at all. Calling someone a cigarette in that manner, he was mad and it was a slight at his manhood, is a pretty serious slur. Does anyone even care? Is he getting carte blanche and can say whatever he wants? Other athletes that have used similar slurs have gotten more media attention for it (John Rocker, Kobe Bryant, etc).

My impression is that staged pre-fight spats like this are about as all-goes as it gets. Beyond race, I don't know there is any line you can cross.

The homophobic and misogynistic rhetoric certainly plays to the most barbaric portrayals of masculinity, but then again I suppose boxing as a sport is the equivalent to that. Right or wrong you're going to get more leeway than you would in baseball or basketball because there is the perception that it isn't supposed to be civilized.

Reaction Score
He's been doing a lot of that. And the Rocky comment about the "dancing monkeys." Now he says he's not rscist because he always listens to rap and jokes about being black below the belt. I always tbought the guy was funny but this is all unseemly.

Europe has a lot more racism and worse things said/actions done. McGregor was pretty mild compared to what goes on in Europe. Bananas are thrown at black soccer players more often than most here would like to believe or think.

With that said the dance for me boy and son comments made me cringe. I don't think there much media attention to the racial undertones by McGregor and the gay slur by mayweather because this isn't a team sport and doesn't involve sports franchises. Their actions aren't going to make people boycott buying the fight. Those people who don't buy the fight because of the press conference shenanigans were never buying it to begin with

Reaction Score
Europe has a lot more racism and worse things said/actions done. McGregor was pretty mild compared to what goes on in Europe. Bananas are thrown at black soccer players more often than most here would like to believe or think.
Totally true in a certain sense: I've heard the n-word thrown around, etc. Totally racist.

Except: because it doesn't actually come with the implied threat as it has in the US, it's not an apples to apples suggestion.

By that I mean part of what makes the n-word so problematic is that--in much of the Americas--it has not just a sense of superiority, but also violence, alluded to in its use. When Italians say something bad or throw bananas on the field, there's pretty much a 0% chance that player worries if he'll be lynched. He just thinks these guys are the asshats they are. People are still in the KKK here, and there are still lynchings in the US.

TL;DR: Yup, there's definitely racism in Europe that is bad, but the context is different and that matters, even if it is still bad. Did I reiterate enough that I'm not absolving McGregor?

Reaction Score
A+ trolling of Mayweather here. His response to that idiot Draymond Green even better.

IMG_5004.jpg

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

The articles I have read have discussed all of the slurs, racist and homophobic. Neither of these guys looks good here.

Reaction Score
I think McGregor is a classless POS who is going to get his ass whooped, but that is for real A+ trolling.

Both of these guys are less than desirable human beings. Mayweather is a special kind of POS. No idea why anyone would spend one red cent on this fight cause it's not gonna be competitive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom