OT: Mariano's Last Game in Yankee Stadium | The Boneyard

OT: Mariano's Last Game in Yankee Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It was an absolutely amazing moment. With 2 outs left in the 9th inning Jeter and Pettite walked out to the mound and took Mariano out of the game. Mariano gave them each long hugs and started crying. Stadium was electric and filled with emotion. What a great way for him to go out after his elustrious career in a Yankee uniform.

Reaction Score
Great stuff. Im almost at a loss for words. The Yankees will never be the same.

Reaction Score
Sitting here studying for Mechanics of Materials so pissed that I missed that...

Reaction Score
Feel very lucky to have watched his whole career. With Mariano and Pettitte retiring it really is the end of an era, Jeter doesn't have too much left.

Reaction Score
This really was the most touching and heartfelt moment I've seen live. The whole situation literally brought me to tears. As a diehard Yankee fan, there was no one better at what he did than the son of a Panamanian fisherman, Mariano Rivera.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
As a Yankee fan for that was just great. The best reliever in the history of the game

Reaction Score
It was great and more than made up for the debacle which the Red Sox called a tribute to Mo................:eek:

Never be the same in the 9th inning anywhere.........

Reaction Score
Man there are only a couple of dozen times in your life when you can say you witnessed true greatness (Rose, Jordan, Payton, etc...) Mariano was once such person to be added to the list. He was the best and a true ambassador of the sport.

Its athletes like him that make make the sport (any sport) go on for another generation. That can't be said for everyone or anyone.

Reaction Score
As someone who believes the Yankees are an incredibly loathesome organization and half of their fan base should be or has been incarcerated for indescribable things, I have to tip my cap to Mo. It was a very moving moment.
I will miss watching him compete but will not miss his 24 inch wide strike zone.

Reaction Score
As someone who believes the Yankees are an incredibly loathesome organization and half of their fan base should be or has been incarcerated for indescribable things, I have to tip my cap to Mo. It was a very moving moment.
I will miss watching him compete but will not miss his 24 inch wide strike zone.

Imagine this coming from you, a Red Sox pivot-man? You're pitiful...........really really pitiful, Why bother?

I will take this from imno1 - .......;)

backhanded Vike dude : "...have to tip my hat to the guy with the 24 inch strikezone who played for a loathsome organization"......what a !

Rather be a fan of a team who's "real fans" joined in 2004 because they finally won something and play "Sweet Caroline" to keep the 20 year old college kids in the stands after the 7th........funny !!

Reaction Score
I thought the whole retirement tour was over the top, but I've had nothing but respect for Mo since opening day of the 2005 season.

Last night was just a wonderful sports moment.

Reaction Score
I thought the whole retirement tour was over the top, but I've had nothing but respect for Mo since opening day of the 2005 season.

I agree thought the same about Cal on his but when you think about it there are very few Ripken's and Rivera's who come around.......better for the game than so many other things that are happening as we speak right?

Reaction Score
I agree though the same about Cal on his but when you think about it there are very few Ripken's and Rivera's who come around.......better for the game than so many other things that are happening as we speak right?
I don't disagree with that. And what made it "over the top" was the absurd media attention, which is obviously no fault of Mo or the Yankees.

Regardless, last night was just terrific. I'm glad to see Yankees fans packed the house for Mo's last appearance.

Reaction Score
barf

If you don't respect Rivera, you don't respect the game - simple as that. It's a game. In the end, you compete, do your best, and try to treat others the way you'd like to be treated. He's a guy who is universally admired, both for his accomplishments and for the respectful way he competed. He never showed up another player or team. He always acted professionally. And you're seeing the results of that this season. From his competitors' standpoint, he's receiving sincere farewells across baseball. And personally he's going out of his way to spend time with stadium staff, the unrecognized men and women who collect tickets or clean bleachers.

Reaction Score
My favorite moment was when Gonzalez hit the single off him to win the World Series in AZ

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Not a Yankee fan, but what a classy move by Girardi for a class act in Rivera.

Reaction Score
My favorite moment was when Gonzalez hit the single off him to win the World Series in AZ

Another solid gesture by a fan James..........you and progrocks:rolleyes:.........can't put you in with Vike as the expectations are way too low there!

Reaction Score

Maybe the tour was over the top but no one forced all those teams to do that. Just shows how much respect the man has garnered over his long career.

Reaction Score
Rather be a fan of a team who's "real fans" joined in 2004 because they finally won something and play "Sweet Caroline" to keep the 20 year old college kids in the stands after the 7th........funny !!

Right Mau, because everyone knows that the Yankees don't have any bandwagon fans, just die-hards. Just like the Cowboys and Notre Dame. Did a Yankee fan really just take on another fan base for having johnny-come-lately fans?

As a Red Sox fan, I like Mo. He was a hell of a closer, certainly the best I've ever seen. And, incidentally, he and Jeter didn't seem to have any problem with the tribute at Fenway, which I think any sane person would have recognized was all in good fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom