OT: Major sporting events lost by coaching... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Major sporting events lost by coaching...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He picked the right strategy,
You're overthinking this. You're trying to shoehorn this monster foot into a Cinderella glass slipper.

They had the ball on the 1 yard line with Marshawn Lynch in the back field with 30 seconds to play, 1 TO, on second down.

The very obvious thing to do is run the ball. Call a TO if it does not work. Then throw the ball - TD or INC. Then run the ball.

You're trying to use "the Patriots would know they were going to throw on 3rd down" to rationalize why "they should have passed on 2nd down."

They should have run on 2nd down. Period.

Reaction Score
I can't explain it any better than I did. You get two runs and one pass with that much time on the clock. If you run twice on 2nd and 3rd, there is no 4th down as time expires. So you need to pass on 2nd or 3rd. By passing on 2nd you make NE defend both on all three downs. If you run on 2nd, you just told NE you are passing on 3rd. He did it correctly. Just executed it poorly.

You get two runs and one pass if you let the clock run down like they did. Snap the ball 10 seconds earlier and you can run it three times. So they screwed up on two fronts -- one by taking their time, two by putting the worst case scenario in play in passing.

Reaction Score
I can't explain it any better than I did. You get two runs and one pass with that much time on the clock. If you run twice on 2nd and 3rd, there is no 4th down as time expires. So you need to pass on 2nd or 3rd. By passing on 2nd you make NE defend both on all three downs. If you run on 2nd, you just told NE you are passing on 3rd. He did it correctly. Just executed it poorly.
I understand your point, I just think you're seriously overthinking this and are completely wrong. Throwing the ball was stupid for exactly what happened. Give the ball to Lynch and there is a very good chance he's able to pick up one yard with very little risk of something going wrong. Throwing at the one with that much congestion, will always be much more risky.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

When you LINE UP IN THE SHOTGUN in that formation ten inches from the goal line, you're telling NE you're passing the football. Butler said right after the game that he knew from how they lined up they were going to run a pick slant. It's not like the Patriots hadn't watched game tape.

Look, sometimes I find myself in the minority defending an unpopular coaching decision (I'm a big believer of going for it on 4th down in unconventional situations; and I would've defended the decision to throw to Matthews at the end of the first half if he slipped and it was picked), but there's a reason people are calling this the worst play call in sports history. Have you watched Marshawn Lynch? You don't think he could have gotten a yard?

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
It's beautiful how the media is promoting Brady's " great performance" instead of just admitting that the stupid play call was the difference. I can't take it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's beautiful how the media is promoting Brady's " great performance" instead of just admitting that the stupid play call was the difference. I can't take it.

Good, I hope it kills you for a long time. Brady was awesome. Seattle doesn't have a chance without that fluke catch.

Reaction Score
Good, I hope it kills you for a long time. Brady was awesome. Seattle doesn't have a chance without that fluke catch.

You guys and fluke catches, c'mon. You were down 24-14 and got a couple breaks yourself. A d-back falls and trips the receiver on a big play and nothing is called. It all works out in the wash so screw that. Only Pats have fluke plays against them:rolleyes: - give it a rest

If GRONK caught it you guys would have called it "great concentration" LOL

Horatio

Reaction Score
You guys and fluke catches, c'mon. You were down 24-14 and got a couple breaks yourself. A d-back falls and trips the receiver on a big play and nothing is called. It all works out in the wash so screw that. Only Pats have fluke plays against them:rolleyes: - give it a rest

If GRONK caught it you guys would have called it "great concentration" LOL

Brady took advantage of Lanes absence , plain and simple. Lane got that interception and was done for the rest of the night. Usually , if a back up corner has to play a big game it's gonna get ugly.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why can't you haters admit fluke catches were flukes? But no matter, the better team won.

Horatio

Reaction Score
Why can't you haters admit fluke catches were flukes? But no matter, the better team won.

Fluke catches < Repeated cheaters

Reaction Score

I will be like you, the better coach won the game and you only won because of a fluke call by the crappier coach. You got lucky!;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I will be like you, the better coach won the game and you only won because of a fluke call by the crappier coach. You got lucky!;)

Did you hear how the scout team ran that play in prep and Butler got beat. So he was ready for it!

Reaction Score
Did you hear how the scout team ran that play in prep and Butler got beat. So he was ready for it!

He made a great play no one can deny that. But that play should never have been put in play period. It will be questioned for years to come knowing you have Lynch in the backfield as well as a mobile QB.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
nomar said:
When you LINE UP IN THE SHOTGUN in that formation ten inches from the goal line, you're telling NE you're passing the football. Butler said right after the game that he knew from how they lined up they were going to run a pick slant. It's not like the Patriots hadn't watched game tape.

Look, sometimes I find myself in the minority defending an unpopular coaching decision (I'm a big believer of going for it on 4th down in unconventional situations; and I would've defended the decision to throw to Matthews at the end of the first half if he slipped and it was picked), but there's a reason people are calling this the worst play call in sports history. Have you watched Marshawn Lynch? You don't think he could have gotten a yard?

There are entire offenses built around running from the shotgun. Ohio State just won without hardly a snap from under center. Carroll said he was playing for four downs and wanted to keep his options open for each down.

Sure, you could have gone all or nothing on a run at anytime. Yes he could have run a play with 40 seconds and run two more times, maybe. You think the pats let all 7 guys in the pile get lined up quickly. You don't fear a false start or illegal formation because you are rushing? Now goal to go from the 6 and you burn your last TO to avoid the 10 second runoff?

Now you're kinda screwed, so while a run up the middle might work, it isn't the optimal play call in that spot. It's run outside, which hindsight tape review shows had a good chance, or throw.

All these are valid plans, but riskier than what they chose if the first rush doesn't get in with a mismatch in favor of NE on 2nd down. It was goal line D, vs spread

I just don't see the point in ripping a perfectly valid strategy because it didn't work due to a tremendous play from the other side. All the talking heads are just hatin'.

Reaction Score
Carroll said he was playing for four downs and wanted to keep his options open for each down.

He didn't "keep his options open", he announced to the whole world that he was going to pass. You keep your options open by moving a bit faster and, if you want to pass, running play action . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Play for 4 downs? How about win the game you need a td to win it, if your D gives up the gw td then thats on them. Not giving Lynch the ball on the 1 yard line at the end is like Uconn not giving it to Kemba in 2011. Its not always about coaching sometimes its about overcoaching and thats what Pete Carroll did. Its not just the fact that it was a throw but throwing an in route into a tight window is the worst possible play you can call, you could have done a PA bootleg, throw a fade route where the pass is a TD or incomplete(which you would still have your TO in your back pocket, and you can go back to Lynch on 3rd down.

Tough job you make one split second decision, that will haunt you for the rest of your life. I would rather be PP then Pete Carroll right now.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
There are entire offenses built around running from the shotgun. Ohio State just won without hardly a snap from under center. Carroll said he was playing for four downs and wanted to keep his options open for each down.

Sure, you could have gone all or nothing on a run at anytime. Yes he could have run a play with 40 seconds and run two more times, maybe. You think the pats let all 7 guys in the pile get lined up quickly. You don't fear a false start or illegal formation because you are rushing? Now goal to go from the 6 and you burn your last TO to avoid the 10 second runoff?

Now you're kinda screwed, so while a run up the middle might work, it isn't the optimal play call in that spot. It's run outside, which hindsight tape review shows had a good chance, or throw.

All these are valid plans, but riskier than what they chose if the first rush doesn't get in with a mismatch in favor of NE on 2nd down. It was goal line D, vs spread

I just don't see the point in ripping a perfectly valid strategy because it didn't work due to a tremendous play from the other side. All the talking heads are just hatin'.

You know Ohio State isn't in the NFL, right? And also that you can get penalties on passing plays, too?

You have Beast Mode ten inches from the goal line. And if you don't want to run the football with Lynch, you can run play-action if you want to shake things up. Throwing into a sea of players on 2nd down wasn't a "perfectly valid strategy." Sure Butler made a good play but that was a tight window. On 2nd down.

Reaction Score
... an incredible RB who very rarely doesn't at least gain a yard or two.

Who was 1 for 5 in that exact situation this season. A fairly informed decision as it turns out, especially against the Patriots goal line run defense.

Reaction Score
Come one...I'm not even a Pats fan, and Brady was sup-par (two terrible picks), but he was insane in the 4Q. Just about as clutch as you could possibly be.

The proper play call by the Seahawks would have overshadowed that, but it wouldn't have made that not true.

Horatio

Reaction Score
Come one...I'm not even a Pats fan, and Brady was sup-par (two terrible picks), but he was insane in the 4Q. Just about as clutch as you could possibly be.

The proper play call by the Seahawks would have overshadowed that, but it wouldn't have made that not true.

He did it against a back up corner . it would be nice if people factored that in . He's not doing that against Lane. Do we not recall that first pick.

Reaction Score
He did it against a back up corner . it would be nice if people factored that in . He's not doing that against Lane. Do we not recall that first pick.
There are always injuries. He marched down the field against Lane, and it wasn't like Lane made some awesome play to intercept it--Brady made a horrible throw because the Seattle pass rush put pressure on him.

The Seattle defense was the best in points allowed, and pass yards allowed this year. Seattle hadn't lost a game they were up 10 in the 4th quarter since 2004.

To suggest that the injury of one player, not even Seattle's top corner (or second best...Sherman and Maxwell are 1-2), somehow diminishes Brady's comeback--from down 10 in the 4th quarter with 11+ minutes left, which has never been done in 48 other SuperBowls--just suggests you're irrationally upset about this.

I'm not a Patriots fan--this was one of the best SuperBowls and Brady's 4th quarter performance was the best I've ever seen. It's okay to admit that.

Reaction Score
There are always injuries. He marched down the field against Lane, and it wasn't like Lane made some awesome play to intercept it--Brady made a horrible throw because the Seattle pass rush put pressure on him.

The Seattle defense was the best in points allowed, and pass yards allowed this year. Seattle hadn't lost a game they were up 10 in the 4th quarter since 2004.

To suggest that the injury of one player, not even Seattle's top corner, somehow diminishes Brady's comeback--from down 10 in the 4th quarter with 11+ minutes left, which has never been done in 48 other SuperBowls--just suggests you're irrationally upset about this.

I'm not a Patriots fan--this was one of the best SuperBowls and Brady's 4th quarter performance was the best I've ever seen. It's okay to admit that.
I'm not at all upset about anything except for the way Uconn is playing this season but clearly Lane going out hurt Seattle somewhat, Seattle's D was pretty banged up.

Horatio

Reaction Score

To suggest that the injury of one player, not even Seattle's top corner (or second best...Sherman and Maxwell are 1-2), somehow diminishes Brady's comeback--from down 10 in the 4th quarter with 11+ minutes left, which has never been done in 48 other SuperBowls--just suggests you're irrationally upset about this.

I'm not irrationally upset, I'm just an Eagles fan. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ry7