OT: Major sporting events lost by coaching... | The Boneyard

OT: Major sporting events lost by coaching...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1) Super Bowl XLIX

2) A bunch of other things tied for second

Congrats to that Butler kid for becoming a legend.

Reaction Score
If i'm Paul Allen somebody is losing a job tomorrow. I might not know who yet, but someone would pay for this loss.

Reaction Score
Carroll was a part of the fourth of two at USC vs Texas. That one was bad but you could maybe make an excuse for it.

Reaction Score
This is true but now that gambler has to look his offensive line and Marshawn Lynch in the face.
Even worse having to face those rabid Seahawk fans back in Seattle. Patriots won twice; because 'The Call' story is worse than the deflated footballs.

Also in victory the Pats now dont Give a Fook what happens next.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The OC, Darrell Bevell, was the wide receivers coach at UConn in the very late 90's.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Pete Carrol just took full responsibility for the play call

Reaction Score
I guess he figured it might catch them off guard, and if it was an incomplete pass, it stopped the clock? Carroll likes being unpredictable, but sometimes the right call is right because it's obvious.

Reaction Score
Even worse having to face those rabid Seahawk fans back in Seattle. Patriots won twice; because 'The Call' story is worse than the deflated footballs.

Also in victory the Pats now dont Give a Fook what happens next.
Even worse that they now have to pay Wilson like a top QB at $20 million or so and not the current salary below $1 million. Seattle had the luxury of being able to surround him with a lot of talent because his salary was so low. The Seahawks window may have just closed and with the taste of a very bitter pill in their mouths.

Reaction Score
Greg Popovich taking out Tim Duncan up 3 near the end of game 6
Jamie Dixon in a pivotal moment in March
Mark Richt near the end of the SEC title game against Alabama
Belichick in 07 superbowl deciding to go for it on a 4th and 13 rather then electing to kick a fg just over 50 yds a chip shot for Gostkowski in a dome

You gotta go with your best, that is how the SF Giants beat the Royals by going with Baumgardner to finish the game.

Reaction Score
tzznandrew said:
I guess he figured it might catch them off guard, and if it was an incomplete pass, it stopped the clock? Carroll likes being unpredictable, but sometimes the right call is right because it's obvious.

So high risk for the situation. You are threading the needle through the D Line, one of whom could get a hand on it. It requires a bullet of a throw in close quarters, which could be mishandled, and the receiver could get hit as he catches it (if Butler was a half-step later, for example). Any of those things could result in the ball popping up in the air.

I'm not saying you have to go Lynch, Lynch and Lynch again - but a naked rollout where you slip a tight end into the flat, or a back corner fade where only your guy has a chance at it are better ways to try to catch the Pats by surprise with a throw. This wasn't even deceptive - it was from the shotgun with multiple wide receivers in the game.

Clock was a non-factor, really. Still had a timeout left. Time for three Lynch plunges or a Wilson sneak if you called timeout after one and hurried just a little after the other.

Reaction Score
Pete Carrol just took full responsibility for the play call
And Wilson took responsibility for the loss, saying he made the throw. He is handling it impressively. Wilson has a very bright future I'll say.

People talk about Lynch, Wilson has good running legs too.

Reaction Score
The Pats didn't call a timeout as the Seahawks let the clock run setting up for that play. It is irrelevant now but that was a bad strategy as well. There was a minute on the clock and they would have needed a field goal to tie. BB didn't call timeout and the clock kept running. If not for that pick, the game was truly over. Not sure what he was thinking there. I wanted them to let Lynch walk into the end zone so the clock would stop running and he was was just letting it rip.

Reaction Score
Best individual defensive play in the history of Sports?
Not sure but Butler is entitled to free meals for a year wherever he goes to eat in Boston. For a Rookie he's got to be on cloud nine, a tremendous play.

He actually was down about that freak catch his man made, saying that if they lost it would have been his fault. Amazing chain of events.

By the way a Seahawks player actually sharted on the football after a TD. Another started an end game fight. Sherman calling out Revies. I lost a lot of respect for that team last night.
However Russel Wilson is a class act and I have nothing but admiration for him. Took the blame for the loss (not the play call). He just may follow Brady if he stays healthy.

Reaction Score
Coach K not calling a timeout and instead letting a guard with mediocre ballhandling skills take the ball the length of the court against the best perimeter defender in the country has to be on the list.
Best decision he ever made in my book. I find no fault whatsoever. In fact I have been applauding that decision ever since.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Am I missing something? I thought with 2nd down, 25 seconds and one time out, it was pretty clear that PC was trying to assure that he could run three plays before time expired.

I know the media whorls can't wait to jump on the losing team, but if he runs on 2nd and doesn't make it, he burns his last TO with under 20 seconds and then has to throw on 3rd or risk the clock expiring. If that falls incomplete, he can then run or pads on 4th with about 8 seconds.

We kill coaches for poor clock management all the time. This guy does it perfectly and we still kill him.

Now the call of a slant is a ?, I'd have gone outside, but he was open and he made the throw. The DB made an incredible read and play on the ball.

Reaction Score
The Pats didn't call a timeout as the Seahawks let the clock run setting up for that play. It is irrelevant now but that was a bad strategy as well. There was a minute on the clock and they would have needed a field goal to tie. BB didn't call timeout and the clock kept running. If not for that pick, the game was truly over. Not sure what he was thinking there. I wanted them to let Lynch walk into the end zone so the clock would stop running and he was was just letting it rip.

It was one of the more incompetent minutes of football that I've ever seen on many, many levels.

Reaction Score
Am I missing something? I thought with 2nd down, 25 seconds and one time out, it was pretty clear that PC was trying to assure that he could run three plays before time expired.

I know the media whorls can't wait to jump on the losing team, but if he runs on 2nd and doesn't make it, he burns his last TO with under 20 seconds and then has to throw on 3rd or risk the clock expiring. If that falls incomplete, he can then run or pads on 4th with about 8 seconds.

We kill coaches for poor clock management all the time. This guy does it perfectly and we still kill him.

Now the call of a slant is a ?, I'd have gone outside, but he was open and he made the throw. The DB made an incredible read and play on the ball.
So if they run on 2nd and don't make it, they still have two shots at the endzone, including a fourth down play where time really doesn't matter. Assuming they throw. It was an absolutely horrible play call and one that should rightfully be panned. They overthought it and got cute trying to outsmart the Patriots instead of turning to the best short-yardage RB in the NFL.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
WhereistheDove? said:
So if they run on 2nd and don't make it, they still have two shots at the endzone, including a fourth down play where time really doesn't matter. Assuming they throw. It was an absolutely horrible play call and one that should rightfully be panned. They overthought it and got cute trying to outsmart the Patriots instead of turning to the best short-yardage RB in the NFL.

He has to burn a TO on 3rd, then he can't run on third or else the clock expires. If you are playing for 4 downs , and you should, then you should pass on 2nd. If he runs on third with no time outs, he doesn't get to run another play.

So, his options were:

pass on 2nd, run/pass on 3rd, run/pass on 4th.

Or, run on 2nd, must pass on 3rd when everyone knows it, and run/pass on 4th.

Or, if you listen to the armchairs, run on 2nd, run on 3rd, end game.

He picked the right strategy, made a questionable play call, and got beat on an outstanding defensive play.

Reaction Score
He has to burn a TO on 3rd, then he can't run on third or else the clock expires. If you are playing for 4 downs , and you should, then you should pass on 2nd. If he runs on third with no time outs, he doesn't get to run another play.

So, his options were:

pass on 2nd, run/pass on 3rd, run/pass on 4th.

Or, run on 2nd, must pass on 3rd when everyone knows it, and run/pass on 4th.

Or, if you listen to the armchairs, run on 2nd, run on 3rd, end game.

He picked the right strategy, made a questionable play call, and got beat on an outstanding defensive play.
It's not an "if you are playing for 4 down", they had to. And I disagree, maybe if we're taking personnel out of it, then it was a defensible call, but they have mediocre TEs/Receivers and an incredible RB who very rarely doesn't at least gain a yard or two. It was the wrong call, it was the wrong play, and he cost his team a Super Bowl.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
WhereistheDove? said:
It's not an "if you are playing for 4 down", they had to. And I disagree, maybe if we're taking personnel out of it, then it was a defensible call, but they have mediocre TEs/Receivers and an incredible RB who very rarely doesn't at least gain a yard or two. It was the wrong call, it was the wrong play, and he cost his team a Super Bowl.

I can't explain it any better than I did. You get two runs and one pass with that much time on the clock. If you run twice on 2nd and 3rd, there is no 4th down as time expires. So you need to pass on 2nd or 3rd. By passing on 2nd you make NE defend both on all three downs. If you run on 2nd, you just told NE you are passing on 3rd. He did it correctly. Just executed it poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom