OT: Kia Nurse | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Kia Nurse

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I love the women's team. Saw the whole game yesterday and it was a sight to see. My opinion the whole year has been that Gabby Williams is the best player in the country. It is rare that I've seen a player that could play all five positions on the court, but she is one of them. She could play the point. She can guard a center.

Fantastic team. Fun to watch...

Maybe not the best player in the country. Haven't seen them all, so can't say.
But she is certainly the most fun to watch of any player on the best team in the country, and despite the scoring averages of Collier and Samuelson, she might very well be the most important player on the team.

Reaction Score
Everything looks slow in the women's game but the UConn women decision making is lightning fast. They know exactly what to do and then do it accurately and without hesitation.

No doubt but much easier to do when the other team isn't as good, is scared and never gets in passing lanes because if they do, bam a lay up or open jumper. I give the credit where it's due they're great but it's not the same game so hardly comparable.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Next year she will be the best in the country for sure. Still has a couple more things to polish.

Every player can get better, certainly. But I'd love to know which areas you think are most deficient for Gabby and who in the nation is above her right now. Not trying to argue. I'm actually curious...

Reaction Score
Yikes. #flaminghottake Are you trying to get a job on FS1?

It's like an avalanche of dad jokes. I don't know why he deleted the one about Taurasi being the dude in the relationship. This guy must crush it with women.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Every player can get better, certainly. But I'd love to know which areas you think are most deficient for Gabby and who in the nation is above her right now. Not trying to argue. I'm actually curious...
Gabby's ball handling and perimeter shot need work. She's too small to be a forward in the pros so she need to polish her guard skills.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Gabby's ball handling and perimeter shot need work. She's too small to be a forward in the pros so she need to polish her guard skills.

I'd agree with the outside shot. If she could shoot the 3, nobody could stop her. But her handle is very good, especially for what I would consider a "big", although I know the term doesn't necessarily fit her properly because she'll probably be a 3 in the pros. And her mid-range or foul-line jumper is very much improved this year over last year. But even without the 3-point range in her arsenal yet, she wakes up out of bed with a double-double and a few blocks and steals... ;)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ok impossible is exaggerated but Pete Carrill was a while ago, and the kids just aren't taught the game in development age. Different world, I see what you're saying but I will say it's less probable these days both for reasons mentioned and the athletic abilities on the defensive end.

I think the same offense can be run now. But the reason it worked, is because the kids were generally less talented, less athletic and forced to work on their fundamentals growing up to compensate. Made it easier to sublimate for the team as well.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'd agree with the outside shot. If she could shoot the 3, nobody could stop her. But her handle is very good, especially for what I would consider a "big", although I know the term doesn't necessarily fit her properly because she'll probably be a 3 in the pros. And her mid-range or foul-line jumper is very much improved this year over last year. But even without the 3-point range in her arsenal yet, she wakes up out of bed with a double-double and a few blocks and steals... ;)

That's just it, her handle needs to get "very good".....for a guard.

That and get her north of 40% from three, then it's over.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
That's just it, her handle needs to get "very good".....for a guard.

That and get her north of 40% from three, then it's over.

I'm still arguing that her handle is where it needs to be, and way better than anyone else at her position. Currently the 4, and soon to be likely the 3...

Reaction Score
She's 11-13, 9-11 3FG tonight for 29 points.

In the tournament, she's 19-23 and 15-18 3FG.

Right now, UConn has 30 assists on 31 baskets.

I do not know how you beat something like that.
Easy...score more points.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

The 'official' line (found in a Geno interview somewhere during the last two weeks) is her ball handling and perimeter shooting. After watching her I don't really see a whole lot of need for improvement in her handle. She handles bringing it up against the press when called on, and goes behind her back in traffic to initiate or complete a move on occasion. But she needs to be recognized for it before the 'experts' will give her credit for it.
Her perimeter (IE, 3 point) shooting is an unknown quantity. I know she didn't attempt one in years 1 or 2. ISTR her taking and missing on this year, but I may be mistaken. She's pretty damned good from 12 to 18 feet or so, though.

When I watch a UConn women's game, I turn it off when Gabby goes to the bench.

She's supposed to be too small to play the 4 in the WNBA. But she's supposed to be too small to play it in college, too. And she hasn't been stopped by any of the 6-2 to 6-4 players she's faced -- some of them very highly rated.

When you look at here amazing athletic ability and fearless use of it, it's hard to comprehend that she has had 2 ACL surgeries.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The 'official' line (found in a Geno interview somewhere during the last two weeks) is her ball handling and perimeter shooting. After watching her I don't really see a whole lot of need for improvement in her handle. She handles bringing it up against the press when called on, and goes behind her back in traffic to initiate or complete a move on occasion. But she needs to be recognized for it before the 'experts' will give her credit for it.
Her perimeter (IE, 3 point) shooting is an unknown quantity. I know she didn't attempt one in years 1 or 2. ISTR her taking and missing on this year, but I may be mistaken. She's pretty damned good from 12 to 18 feet or so, though.

When I watch a UConn women's game, I turn it off when Gabby goes to the bench.

She's supposed to be too small to play the 4 in the WNBA. But she's supposed to be too small to play it in college, too. And she hasn't been stopped by any of the 6-2 to 6-4 players she's faced -- some of them very highly rated.

When you look at here amazing athletic ability and fearless use of it, it's hard to comprehend that she has had 2 ACL surgeries.

I could certainly see her playing the 4 in the pros, too. Rodman beat a lot of taler players on the boards just with his athleticism, and I can see Gabby being that way too...

Reaction Score

There's no doubt about that but she's too skilled overall and athletic not to go high after next year. She is so much quicker to the ball for rebounds, and to the basket to score than most she's a nightmare. If she does get a lot better with the ball she'll be crazy good in the WNBA. If not she'll still be solid.

Reaction Score
There's no doubt about that but she's too skilled overall and athletic not to go high after next year. She is so much quicker to the ball for rebounds, and to the basket to score than most she's a nightmare. If she does get a lot better with the ball she'll be crazy good in the WNBA. If not she'll still be solid.
I wouldn't be surprised if she comes back next year with a consistent jumper. I don't know how Geno does it but his girls improve every year. As hard and fearless as she plays I worry about another major injury. That is the only thing that can stop her That or training with Glen and Travis over the summer

intlzncster

Reaction Score
As hard and fearless as she plays I worry about another major injury. That is the only thing that can stop her That or training with Glen and Travis over the summer

Chief has another convert.

Reaction Score

Jump shooting range and accuracy. Imagine if she could extend the defender out to the three point line? Would be unguardable.

Reaction Score
She can do it too, look at the jump in her FT%. She's been my favorite husky since freshman year.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who thought a Kia Nurse was a new, really slow gas consuming car?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Well so much for that....
I was most concerned about Maryland and Baylor with regards to match ups for UConn. So I'm thrilled by this loss.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Then how come it takes women 3 hours to pick out which pair of black shoes they're going to wear?
You obviously do not know how to find the right women.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom