OT - Karen Read Trial in Massachusetts | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT - Karen Read Trial in Massachusetts

Reaction Score
What makes this even crazier, police are the highest paid employees in Massachusetts. They can get $200-300k on top of base salary just for overtime. I wouldn’t be surprised if the night this lead detective and his partner got hammered and drove home in the squad car drunk was logged as “overtime”.

I’ve lived in Massachusetts my whole life outside of going to UConn. I acknowledge there are good cops out there, but from my experience here, they’re few and far between. Most of them are uneducated people who couldn’t get into college that have power trips and who think they’re better than us civilians.

Reaction Score
Today they will voir dire future potential witness. I don't have time to follow live, but it seems one expert testified the scratches on his arm were consistent with being hit by a car with a broken taillight. Another expert is supposed to testify that they were dog bites.

Reaction Score
Today they will voir dire future potential witness. I don't have time to follow live, but it seems one expert testified the scratches on his arm were consistent with being hit by a car with a broken taillight. Another expert is supposed to testify that they were dog bites.

From all accounts, the experts from yesterday bombed. They were "experts".
"The cellphone was found under his torso, under his body. What is your theory on how that cellphone ended up flying 30 feet?" Jackson asked.

"It just did," Paul said. "It just did. That is the evidence at the scene. I didn't put the evidence there."

“OK, well, you didn’t,” Jackson fired back, prompting an objection from prosecutors and a stern warning from Cannone.
Defenses theory is that stuff was planted, so this was just an alley oop from the expert lol.

Reaction Score

Defenses theory is that stuff was planted, so this was just an alley oop from the expert lol.

My wife is occasionally called in as a consult/expert/whatever for civil litigation when big $$$ is involved. I don't understand it other than I usually know it's happening when she puts on real pants for a day.

Some of the "experts" (usually non-medical) are shockingly, shockingly stupid. Just another reminder than education =/= intelligence, common sense, or much anything else.

Reaction Score

very strange stuff. The cell phone could have been in his pocket and fallen out when he landed, or it was in his hand and he dropped it after he hit the ground. or it was planted.

I would also think the coroner would probably know best as to what caused the scratches. dog bites would seem to be very different than scratches.

Reaction Score
Some of the "experts" (usually non-medical) are shockingly, shockingly stupid. Just another reminder than education =/= intelligence, common sense, or much anything else.

Like everything else, you get what you pay for. If i had an expert who knew less than me about whatever I hired them for I wouldn't hire them.

Reaction Score
My wife is occasionally called in as a consult/expert/whatever for civil litigation when big $$$ is involved. I don't understand it other than I usually know it's happening when she puts on real pants for a day.

I thought it was the case that each side would bring in experts who supported their side of the story. At least that's what I gleaned from tv and movies. Stupid, or being bought.

Reaction Score
Hopefully the Feds will get all of the cell phone data from the phone company instead of the selected, doctored records that the people provided.

Whatever was on Higgins' phone is probably key. He didn't go through all that trouble to dispose of his phone in the manner that he did for no reason.
The fact that texting gossip about the case to friends during an investigation doesn’t ring alarm bells as not a good idea shows how deep the issues are

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
very strange stuff. The cell phone could have been in his pocket and fallen out when he landed, or it was in his hand and he dropped it after he hit the ground. or it was planted.

I would also think the coroner would probably know best as to what caused the scratches. dog bites would seem to be very different than scratches.
At this point I don't see how there would be anything for the experts to review (in terms of the scratched) other than photographs, taken at the crime scene (if there were any) and by the coroner.

I'm not sure any expert could find enough from photographs to refute the coroner's conclusion.

Reaction Score
The ‘expert’ yesterday for the prosecution has an associates degree in criminal studies with a few weeks of ‘accident math’ as part of the curriculum. He performed zero analyses that include generally accepted laws of physics for momentum, acceleration velocity etc.

The defense will bring PhD scientists to refute the car accident claim

Expecting this to be the shortest jury deliberation ever when it’s all said and done

Reaction Score

“Real” pants?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
The ‘expert’ yesterday for the prosecution has an associates degree in criminal studies with a few weeks of ‘accident math’ as part of the curriculum. He performed zero analyses that include generally accepted laws of physics for momentum, acceleration velocity etc.

The defense will bring PhD scientists to refute the car accident claim

Expecting this to be the shortest jury deliberation ever when it’s all said and done
The voir dire from defense expert witness, Daniel Wolfe, was impressive. He works for a private company and involved with the FBI investigation in the handling of this case. Not paid by defense. His report claims she didn’t hit him with the car.

Tomorrow will be interesting. I’m sure prosecution is crapping their pants.

Reaction Score
The voir dire from defense expert witness, Daniel Wolfe, was impressive. He works for a private company and involved with the FBI investigation in the handling of this case. Not paid by defense. His report claims she didn’t hit him with the car.

Why the judge hadn’t immediately allowed the testimony I have no idea

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

When it comes to voir dire of a witness whose expertise is in general automotive knowledge, this is a prosecution's worst nightmare.

Screenshot_20240619_062006.jpg

Reaction Score
Because she's in the bag for the prosecution.
To wit. Can’t make this stuff up. The Judges brother represented one of the Alberts in 1995 for a DUI murder charge

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
This case is an absolute joke. It scares me that the corruption runs so deep. State clearly knows she didn't do it. The judge should have removed herself for having a conflict but didn't. She clearly has bias. I'm confident Karen will be not-guilty but the fact that the real murderer and the cover up will never be tried and these pieces of shiiiiii (judge, prosecution, alberts, mccabes, buchenik, etc) will go free without a single repercussion is actually scary to me.

Reaction Score
To wit. Can’t make this stuff up. The Judges brother represented one of the Alberts in 1995 for a DUI murder charge

Do you have a sibling? Would you sacrifice your professional integrity, act dishonestly and risk your reputation and career to help someone who your sibling worked with 30 years ago? Its not like her brother was even hired by Chris Albert, he was appointed to represent him as a public defender. This is meaningless and in no way a conflict of interest.

Reaction Score
Do you have a sibling? Would you sacrifice your professional integrity, act dishonestly and risk your reputation and career to help someone who your sibling worked with 30 years ago? Its not like her brother was even hired by Chris Albert, he was appointed to represent him as a public defender. This is meaningless and in no way a conflict of interest.
The point is; they all know each other; they're all friends.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

It is literally the definition of conflict of interest. The judge should have recused herself from the case.

I have been removed from a jury because I peripherally knew one of the witnesses.

Reaction Score
Wow. Not sure how to respond. If you don’t see anything wrong here related to how incestuous these relationships are not sure what to tell you.

The point is that in Norfolk county the culture of who knows whom in the justice system is rotten and why the Feds are doing their own investigation - the scope of which includes Norfolk County DA Morrissey who’s probably already preparing his retirement papers to keep his pension.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ry7

Top Bottom