OT: Juwan Durham to Notre Dame | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Juwan Durham to Notre Dame

Reaction Score
Holy cow, so many dumba____ in this thread, in all shapes in sizes. We've got it all, from the Ollie sycophants, to the folks who act like we were providing food and shelter to a destitute kid. I cringe every time I read someone type that the kid is soft or disloyal or owes UConn anything. We lost 3 talented players, all who were lined up to receive major minutes on a team that could have been pretty damn good. There have been troubling rumors surrounding the team and coaching staff. Maybe lets not blame the players who left a dumpster fire and are ending up in better situations?
Right, it's never the kids fault. In Durham's case, you couldn't find a high major that would have treated him better. But he isn't at fault. It was the strength coach. Or Ollie? Maybe the firing of Miller? It was definitely not Durham. That's impossible. Besides South Bend is closer to home.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Right? lol people seem to forget that. Regardless of the battles we've had against them and the nearly Duke-Esque succession of annoying players I blame a lot of our CR woes on them. They should have stayed in the Big East and maybe the ACC adds us and Cincy to be the first league to 16. Or the should have joined the ACC full time and maybe we're 16. Them being in the ACC makes very little sense to me as the Big East has added even more Midwest catholic schools in Creighton and Xavier.

Plus Notre Dame fans and football are insufferable. Let's not leave that out.

Reaction Score
I am not picking at the post you made with the stats you used - in fact I agree with your point that our offense, particularly our half-court offense was mostly unwatchable this year. And the stats obviously back that up. My come backs and argued support are specifically about comments like the one where in your "memory" that no top recruits left JC, where you are using that measurement as another one to illustrate that Calhoun was great while Ollie is bad.

Except that as Upstater and I gave ample examples of, your statement is utterly false, even by your arbitrary measurement of "Top 60" recruits. We had ample "Top 60" recruits during Calhoun's tenure transfer, as well.

As for my rebuttal toward Waquoit: "A good coach makes it work here." I have no more patience to see another thread used to take pot shots at Ollie, particularly when in this particular situation Ollie deserves praise for how he handled Durham this year, not another shot at his coaching ability. I wonder out loud if any of us would have stuck to our morals and done the right thing by this kid as this season was circling the drain. How many of us would have pushed him onto the court in our desperation, saying to hell with the caution he needed to be treated with?

As for calling Durham's play soft... I actually choose my words carefully when referring to any collegiate athlete. We are talking about 18 to 22 year-old kids to young men here, not adults. That is why I called Durham's play soft this last year, but not him as a person. Nor would I ever say he had no skill. He obviously does. I have no right nor desire to attack him personally. I agree with you that the personal attacks of the young man are offensive.

You do make a good point though. From this point forward if I ever make reference to his play again in a thread I will use a better word: tentative. Durham's play this last year was by-in-large tentative. I am sure this must have been a tough year for him, and it showed. I do wish him luck, and good health, moving forward.

He listed 4 or 5 kids that fit that criteria over the course of 27 years. Which is pretty much the point I made. And none of those kids left to go to programs like nd or Louisville. Oroakhi went to Missouri. Coombs to Hofstra. Kelly went to k state. Roscoe to unlv. Hazeltine to uri. And Doug Wiggins To Umass. Far from upgrades.

And yes Calhoun was great. And Ollie has been pretty bad the last few years. Doesn't mean I want him fired or don't think he can turn it around. We have made steps to do just that.

I don't see the criticism of Ollie as unjustified. There's a heck of a lot of evidence to support it whether it's on court performance, style of play, recruiting the right kids to fit that style, player development and retention. All have been subpar the last few years in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Right, it's never the kids fault. In Durham's case, you couldn't find a high major that would have treated him better. But he isn't at fault. It was the strength coach. Or Ollie? Maybe the firing of Miller? It was definitely not Durham. That's impossible. Besides South Bend is closer to home.

Next

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Holy cow, so many dumba____ in this thread, in all shapes in sizes. We've got it all, from the Ollie sycophants, to the folks who act like we were providing food and shelter to a destitute kid. I cringe every time I read someone type that the kid is soft or disloyal or owes UConn anything. We lost 3 talented players, all who were lined up to receive major minutes on a team that could have been pretty damn good. There have been troubling rumors surrounding the team and coaching staff. Maybe lets not blame the players who left a dumpster fire and are ending up in better situations?

Jury is out on Vance's situation though. And we don't know if they left for better situations until we see how they turn out.

I mean, this is one of those things we'll never know, but it will be easier to pass judgment once their college careers are over.

Reaction Score
Uh, yes. Roscoe Smith, Alex Oriakhi, Curtis Kelly, Jamal Coombs-McDaniels, Darius Smith, Marcus Cox, Doug Wiggins, Socttie Haralson, Nate Miles, Ater Majok, and that was in the last 10 years. Don't even need to go back into history to talk about the LeBlancs, Marcus Whites, Antonio Kelloggs, Marcus Johnsons, etc.

And which one of those kids went to a program like Louisville or notre dame?

We have Missouri, k state, Hofstra, umass, uri, USC, and college of southern Idaho.

I wouldn't exactly call those upgrades

intlzncster

Reaction Score

We have Missouri, k state, Hofstra, umass, uri, USC, and college of southern Idaho.

People forgetting two of the better ones. Doug Wrenn to Washington and Marcus White to Purdue. Though I think Wrenn was pushed out iirc.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
No reason not to wish him good luck at ND.

Maybe we can concentrate on the 11 kids who will be playing for UConn this upcoming season, leave the past in the past and critique the coaching staff as the team hopefully progresses and improves.
Big maybe with this crowd, but I admire your attempt.

Reaction Score
Can't wait for Juwan Durham to shoot 40% from 3 two years from now. There's some talent there; between him, Facey, Brimah, and Enoch he seemed the most likely to have touched a basketball before the age of 16.

Interesting that some of the board cheerleaders are in here trashing Durham yet laud the addition of David Onuorah, despite the fact in what will now be Onuorah's fifth year as a college basketball player his per minute stats are nearly identical to freshman Durham's who played sparingly coming off two ACL injuries. But as @mauconnfan says, no talent of course.

I need to know where I ever said no talent. Look back in my posts you will find you are the farthest thing from that lol but he was really good last year and should have played more right? Not sure where you guys think from.. well I can guess though

If guys think they're better than what they are what can you do? He didn't deserve any more than he got and it's possible he can be a real good player I've said that multiple times. He didn't want to be here and earn time oh well.. next

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Good for him and ND. He goes to a major program and they like 4 year kids, good fit. Wish him well, but I won't think about him again either.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
and whatever the culture was last year... it's not just that they were not developing, it's that two/three potential starters opted to sit out a year rather than playing for UConn. That's scary toxic.
View attachment 22774

I already forgot he was at Storrs.....in 2 years when he plays again I will care even less.
The two sides of the Boneyard coin.

Reaction Score

The "UConn and Ollie showed loyalty to him" narrative is complete BS. This is big time college ball, they didn't honor his scholarship for charity, they did it because they thought he was a huge talent who would contribute if and when he ever got past the injury. I'm not inside the program, but reading the writing on the wall, things aren't right in Storrs. I was upset with Juwan at first for leaving, but that frustration has since shifted to everybody else. We're blowing a major opportunity with this 2016 recruiting class.

Reaction Score

They're upgrades if they want to be here and others dont. Hey I forgot to look but we mustve lost 30 pts 18 boards and a lot of minutes that I missed. People are whacked.

Reaction Score
He listed 4 or 5 kids that fit that criteria over the course of 27 years. Which is pretty much the point I made. And none of those kids left to go to programs like nd or Louisville. Oroakhi went to Missouri. Coombs to Hofstra. Kelly went to k state. Roscoe to unlv. Hazeltine to uri. And Doug Wiggins To Umass. Far from upgrades.

And yes Calhoun was great. And Ollie has been pretty bad the last few years. Doesn't mean I want him fired or don't think he can turn it around. We have made steps to do just that.

I don't see the criticism of Ollie as unjustified. There's a heck of a lot of evidence to support it whether it's on court performance, style of play, recruiting the right kids to fit that style, player development and retention. All have been subpar the last few years in my opinion.

And once again you trump up your overriding view point with a false statement that is objectively refuted by the facts of the situations at the time they happened.

You are objectively wrong to state that Missouri, UNLV or Kansas State were considered steps down when Oriakhi, Smith and Kelly transferred to them at the time when they did. Maybe steps down to all of us UConn fans, but not to the objective college basketball observers at the time.

And here is my objective proof:

Missouri when Oriakhi transferred there: Yes, Missouri has been terrible the last 3 years... but at the time Oriakhi transferred to Missouri in 2012 they were coming off a 30-5 year, a #2 seed in the 2012 NCAA tournament, 2 straight NCAA appearances and Frank Haith was considered one of the hot shot young coaches in all of college basketball. In fact, he had just won several National Coach of the Year Awards, including the AP award. And that was before his career became publicly marred by scandal. Therefore, Missouri was definitely at or even above Notre Dame's current level, and certainly ours at the time, as we were heading into a year where we could not play in the NCAA tournament (APR ban). Strike one for you.

UNLV when Smith transferred there: At the time Roscoe Smith left and went to UNLV, they had made the tournament 4 of the previous 5 years, had just landed a top 6 recruiting class (including Anthony Bennett) coming in and was still considered a marquee program to go play at... Strike two for you.

Kansas State when Kelly transferred there: Kansas State had just come off of an NCAA appearance in 2008 when Kelly went there and then with Curtis Kelly playing a significant role in 2009-2010 was good enough to also garner a #2 seed and get as far as the Elite 8. Frank Martin was the coach... yes, the current South Carolina just-went-to-the-Final-4 coach. And that was right after Bob Huggins had been there (Frank Martin was considered one of his proteges), which gave a huge boost to Kansas State's brand around the country. In fact, some may recall they had what was largely considered the #1 recruiting class in 2007 (when including jucos and transfers) with Michael Beasley and Jimmy Walker as the headliners. Strike 3 for you, although on this one you can at least make some argument.

Easy to say these 3 programs are lesser than us using their most recent last couple of years as the basis for your argument, particularly Missouri and UNLV. But to use today as the measuring stick for decisions these kids made years ago at the time is once again ridiculous, and now proven false.

Why can you not make all of your arguments based upon the facts, like the one where you use the offensive efficiency statistics? Notice how I do not debate you on that point, since you support yourself on that point well, and I agree with you that our offense looked slow, disjointed and poorly executed many times last year.

Ollie deserves criticism for the mistakes and miscalculations he has made, and some poor in-game coaching at times. So, I agree he deserves some criticism. And have never said otherwise. But to use those things as reasons to attack him on all points, even those that are not true is wrong and totally unfair. Stick to the things you can support with truth, not just throwing crap against the wall and hoping no one will fact check you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The "UConn and Ollie showed loyalty to him" narrative is complete BS. This is big time college ball, they didn't honor his scholarship for charity, they did it because they thought he was a huge talent who would contribute if and when he ever got past the injury. I'm not inside the program, but reading the writing on the wall, things aren't right in Storrs. I was upset with Juwan at first for leaving, but that frustration has since shifted to everybody else. We're blowing a major opportunity with this 2016 recruiting class.

We had faith in him when he had a setback in hopes of him turning it around so he could contribute for us. If I were in his shoes, I think I might feel obliged to repay that respect. I understand that's his decision to make, but I certainly feel justified in not actively rooting for his success going forward because of that decision. I also think his comments were not well grounded in reality.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
And once again you trump up your overriding view point with a false statement that is objectively refuted by the facts of the situations at the time they happened.

You are objectively wrong to state that Missouri, UNLV or Kansas State were considered steps down when Oriakhi, Smith and Kelly transferred to them at the time when they did. Maybe steps down to all of us UConn fans, but not to the objective college basketball observers at the time.

And here is my objective proof:

Missouri when Oriakhi transferred there: Yes, Missouri has been terrible the last 3 years... but at the time Oriakhi transferred to Missouri in 2012 they were coming off a 30-5 year, a #2 seed in the 2012 NCAA tournament, 2 straight NCAA appearances and Frank Haith was considered one of the hot shot young coaches in all of college basketball. In fact, he had just won several National Coach of the Year Awards, including the AP award. And that was before his career became publicly marred by scandal. Therefore, Missouri was definitely at or even above Notre Dame's current level, and certainly ours at the time, as we were heading into a year where we could not play in the NCAA tournament (APR ban). Strike one for you.

UNLV when Smith transferred there: At the time Roscoe Smith left and went to UNLV, they had made the tournament 4 of the previous 5 years, had just landed a top 6 recruiting class (including Anthony Bennett) coming in and was still considered a marquee program to go play at... Strike two for you.

Kansas State when Kelly transferred there: Kansas State had just come off of an NCAA appearance in 2008 when Kelly went there and then with Curtis Kelly playing a significant role in 2009-2010 was good enough to also garner a #2 seed and get as far as the Elite 8. Frank Martin was the coach... yes, the current South Carolina just-went-to-the-Final-4 coach. And that was right after Bob Huggins had been there (Frank Martin was considered one of his proteges), which gave a huge boost to Kansas State's brand around the country. In fact, some may recall they had what was largely considered the #1 recruiting class in 2007 (when including jucos and transfers) with Michael Beasley and Jimmy Walker as the headliners. Strike 3 for you, although on this one you can at least make some argument.

Easy to say these 3 programs are lesser than us using their most recent last couple of years as the basis for your argument, particularly Missouri and UNLV. But to use today as the measuring stick for decisions these kids made years ago at the time is once again ridiculous, and now proven false.

Why can you not make all of your arguments based upon the facts, like the one where you use the offensive efficiency statistics? Notice how I do not debate you on that point, since you support yourself on that point well, and I agree with you that our offense looked slow, disjointed and poorly executed many times last year.

Ollie deserves criticism for the mistakes and miscalculations he has made, and some poor in-game coaching at times. So, I agree he deserves some criticism. And have never said otherwise. But to use those things as reasons to attack him on all points, even those that are not true is wrong and totally unfair. Stick to the things you can support with truth, not just throwing crap against the wall and hoping no one will fact check you.

Bill Walker, but good recap.

Reaction Score
What happened with JD here is not transparent, but we've changed our big man coach and our strength and conditioning coach, which seems like an acknowledgement there was some fault on our side. Hopefully any problems on our side have been fixed.

Who's the big-boy coach??

Reaction Score
To me it's about how you handle adversity, JD ended up cutting and running. One day when he's no longer playing basketball and has a real job, he's going to have to learn just like everyone else that sometimes you have to persevere when times get tough.

Good luck to the young man.

I like who we have

Reaction Score
Because Juwan Durham went to Notre Dame.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
To me it's about how you handle adversity, JD ended up cutting and running. One day when he's no longer playing basketball and has a real job, he's going to have to learn just like everyone else that sometimes you have to persevere when times get tough.

Good luck to the young man.

I like who we have

Assuming his knees hold up, juwan's probably got 15 years before he has to worry about that snow

Reaction Score
We had faith in him when he had a setback in hopes of him turning it around so he could contribute for us. If I were in his shoes, I think I might feel obliged to repay that respect. I understand that's his decision to make, but I certainly feel justified in not actively rooting for his success going forward because of that decision. I also think his comments were not well grounded in reality.

The comments were off-putting, I'll give you that.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
And everyone ripping on/ blaming our big men should look at these stats. It's no wonder they all underachieved. Brimah, facey, and Durham are not suited to a slow paced half, grind it out half court offense.

Enoch maybe was but he had the offensive skills to do better in an offense that moves the ball. He didn't shoot it great but that's because he Barely ever got any open looks. Most of his shots came from us dumping it down low to him when he was covered. I can picture him excelling in an offense that moves it around and he can get some space for some quick open looks from 5-6 ft.

Which once again supports my argument that we are either not recruiting the right players for our slow offense. Or we are not running the right system for the players that we have.
You cannot have a fast paced game if you stink at rebounding. That's the first thing you need. We have not had a good rebounder since Roscoe transferred.

C

Chief00

We've now lost one to Louisville and one to ND. I don't want to hear about the recruiting. Development is more the issue.
At that age it also means the kids weren't having fun. That also impacts recruiting. Recruits pick up the vibe. I think Chils can help on that, but we are starting in a deep hole and Bunk leaving changed the social dynamic.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
At that age it also means the kids weren't having fun. That also impacts recruiting. Recruits pick up the vibe. I think Chils can help on that, but we are starting in a deep hole and Bunk leaving changed the social dynamic.
Serious question, chief. How old is Bunky and was he ever a registered student at UConn? Are you suggesting hiring him as social director for a bunch of teenagers who might find it a little strange that this guy is hanging around the program?

C

Chief00

Serious question, chief. How old is Bunky and was he ever a registered student at UConn? Are you suggesting hiring him as social director for a bunch of teenagers who might find it a little strange that this guy is hanging around the program?
He is in his mid twenties, never was a student but hung out with the team and recruits. Yeah strange to some, but it worked. Now we have the perfect APR type team and we can't win a recruiting battle for dog catcher. Quite frankly, it's frustrating.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom