OT-ish - UConn not pursuing Major Conference | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT-ish - UConn not pursuing Major Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
His boy Jimmy C speaks the world of Susan Herbst and has been saying all along that things will be ok..it may just take a little bit of time. Which is it @Chief00 doomsday or is your boy right? I mean you love to go on and on how you have sources close to Calhoun all the time.

Calhoun used to lean on Chief00 and pick his brain for hoops advice. When he's not hanging out with Drummond of course.

C

Chief00

Calhoun used to lean on Chief00 and pick his brain for hoops advice. When he's not hanging out with Drummond of course.

Susan Herbst still signs one of Jim's pay checks but not mine. LOL

Actually, I don't personally have a problem with her - just speaking quite frankly. I will say she is not very popular in the Presidents club and that's all that matters. She doesn't seem to be able to built any strong relationships with other Presidents and that is a real liability.

C

Chief00

One, Herbst does not have control over 1 key issues - an open slot at a p5 conference. Only the other conference can decide that and has we have seen with the back and forth discussions. facts, and rumors within the XII, it is not always a clear-cut process for them, also.

As for hiring Mike Tranghese, that seems to me she knows exactly what she is doing. She is the University President and is pulled in hundreds of ways, such as dealing with the fools and the mess at the Capital in Hartford right now. Conference expansion is such a important issue to her and the university that she knows she cannot give it the attention the issue needs. So, she hired an outside consultant, who is well connected in the college athletic circle, to do the heavy lifting and the connecting. As a consultant, he also likely lies outside of public FOI requests, which could derail any on-going, sensitive discussions.
One, there have been numerous P5 team adds during SH's tenure.

As for Mike T - personally I like the guy - having said that one P5 conference he's had too many battles with to be effective with today (ACC) unless other events completely back them into a corner.

The Athletic Dept generally likes Susan because she has not reigned in their budget despite huge deficits in the tens of millions.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Susan Herbst still signs one of Jim's pay checks but not mine. LOL

Actually, I don't personally have a problem with her - just speaking quite frankly. I will say she is not very popular in the Presidents club and that's all that matters. She doesn't seem to be able to built any strong relationships with other Presidents and that is a real liability.
Thanks for your insight into university presidents.

Reaction Score
Let's dispel once and for all with this fiction that freescooter doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing. He is undertaking a systematic effort to troll the boneyard. He knows his characterization of Herbst is demonstrably false, but he keeps going at it to rile everybody up.
his view is as supported as the opposite...there is no evidence supporting either, except for the one basic fact that we outwardly embrace the AAC with enthusiasm.

C

Chief00

Have you ever talked to her about this? I have. A number of times. Usually at sporting events, strangely enough.

Even if she only cares because donors care and she wants their money; she cares.

And she probably can't remember a word you said - that's part of her job to humor you.

Reaction Score
And she probably nothing remember a word you said - that's part of her job to humor you.
I don't know...she remembered my wife and said hi to her in Bridgeport...and they met standing in line for the rest room at the XL Center. Have you happened to read any of her quotes related to Benedict's hiring? For someone who cares so little about athletics as you say, she sure doesn't sound like that.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Chief, your sources are bull. You are simply bitter that Herbst revoked your all-access pass to athletic facilities once Calhoun and Blaney retired and your connections to the program dried up.

Reaction Score
I don't know...she remembered my wife and said hi to her in Bridgeport...and they met standing in line for the rest room at the XL Center. Have you happened to read any of her quotes related to Benedict's hiring? For someone who cares so little about athletics as you say, she sure doesn't sound like that.

Tue, if UConn and Herbst supposedly are not interested in moving up to a P4/5 conference, then why did UConn just hire a guy who has been an Associate AD to two P5 programs in Auburn and U Minn? Based on his trajectory to date, Benedict could have easily stayed on at Auburn for a few more years and would have been well positioned to take an AD slot at another SEC or nearby XII or ACC school. Instead, he going to UConn and even Aubrn's current AD views UConn as a 'great opportunity.'

Reaction Score
Chief, your sources are bull. You are simply bitter that Herbst revoked your all-access pass to athletic facilities once Calhoun and Blaney retired and your connections to the program dried up.
@Stairmaster could Chief00 be Ken Davis?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It's all an elaborate con job. Or something.

Reaction Score
And she probably can't remember a word you said - that's part of her job to humor you.

I'm not delusional - I know she doesn't give a rat's ass about me personally. Nor should she.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I'm not delusional - I know she doesn't give a rat's ass about me personally. Nor should she.
I AM delusional. I think chief is a person and not a troll-bot.

Reaction Score
Susan Herbst cares about a lot of things:
Getting us into P-5
Getting us into AAU
Getting our Endowment to $1B
Getting us in Top Ten of Public Universities

Acceptance into the P-5 requires an invite. AAU does as well. She once told me that all we can do is keep working towards fulfilling the requirements for inclusion but "the AAU is like a sorority. You can't invite yourself". The one thing she does well is "not suffer fools gladly" and has a great eye for talent. Josh Newton at the Foundation, Warde Manuel--and now David Benedict--at AD, Mun Choi at Provost--"one of the most capable and effective individuals I have encountered in higher education, one of the most outstanding leaders we have here at the University." We're heading for great destinations with SH at the helm.

Reaction Score
Getting us into P-5
Getting us into AAU

Acceptance into the P-5 requires an invite. AAU does as well. She once told me that all we can do is keep working towards fulfilling the requirements for inclusion but "the AAU is like a sorority. You can't invite yourself". The one thing she does well is "not suffer fools gladly" and has a great eye for talent. Josh Newton at the Foundation, Warde Manuel--and now David Benedict--at AD, Mun Choi at Provost--"one of the most capable and effective individuals I have encountered in higher education, one of the most outstanding leaders we have here at the University." We're heading for great destinations with SH at the helm.

She basically said the same thing at a UConn NYC event a few years back. Basically, UConn can't control when there will be an opening to AAU nor a P5 conference so all UConn can do is improve the school's metrics to make sure the school is in the best possible position for when there is an opening.

C

Chief00

You must be kidding? Calhoun is still connected to the program. George is very well respected in basketball circles TODAY. His son coaches at PC.

C

Chief00

Getting us into P-5
Getting us into AAU

When did I say she doesn't care?

Reaction Score
Do you think are chances would increase if SH sleeps with any or all of the B1G presidents ? Sex sells.

Reaction Score
Of course UCONN is not going to pursue a top conference. WHY? Because lets face NO ONE WANTS UCONN in their conference. Do you really want a substandard football program in your conference? Lets call it like it is. The football program is still moribund, 2 years into the Diacco regime. He has, what, 2 more years to go on his contract. Does anyone really think that this coming year is going to be any better than last season? Simply put, there are not enough talented players to compete in even the mediocre AAC. Does anyone truly believe that they could compete in the Big 10, Big 12, ACC, or, dare I even say it, the SEC? Of course not. The heart and desire is there, I will grant them that, but, you cannot compete with 4 and 5 star super stars, as opponents when you are fielding 1 or 2 star players. As to recruiting, it's near impossible to compete for a top star from Florida or Texas, or PA., when you are behind programs such as Alabama, Georgia, Florida, FL. ST. Texas, A&M, and now you have to battle USF, UCF, SMU in your own conference for the same talent. I have, for years been a fan, and hoped against hope that maybe, just maybe UC would sneak into a top conference. Because of the basketball teams. OK, a flawed theory, especially for you football fans, but right now, until, or if the football program ever gets it's s*** together, they will be always at or near the bottom of the less than stellar AAC conference.

Reaction Score
Of course UCONN is not going to pursue a top conference. WHY? Because lets face NO ONE WANTS UCONN in their conference. Do you really want a substandard football program in your conference? Lets call it like it is. The football program is still moribund, 2 years into the Diacco regime. He has, what, 2 more years to go on his contract. Does anyone really think that this coming year is going to be any better than last season? Simply put, there are not enough talented players to compete in even the mediocre AAC. Does anyone truly believe that they could compete in the Big 10, Big 12, ACC, or, dare I even say it, the SEC? Of course not. The heart and desire is there, I will grant them that, but, you cannot compete with 4 and 5 star super stars, as opponents when you are fielding 1 or 2 star players. As to recruiting, it's near impossible to compete for a top star from Florida or Texas, or PA., when you are behind programs such as Alabama, Georgia, Florida, FL. ST. Texas, A&M, and now you have to battle USF, UCF, SMU in your own conference for the same talent. I have, for years been a fan, and hoped against hope that maybe, just maybe UC would sneak into a top conference. Because of the basketball teams. OK, a flawed theory, especially for you football fans, but right now, until, or if the football program ever gets it's s*** together, they will be always at or near the bottom of the less than stellar AAC conference.

Did they finally find a treatment to reverse the coma or did someone remove the rock blocking your escape?

No posts since October and then two rants in 30 minutes --- feel better??

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
There are so many ways that you are shortsighted and wrong but I just don't have the will to explain.

Reaction Score
@CTFIRERETIRED thank you for your interest in UConn athletics. I'm guessing by your post you won't be attending any games at Rentschler any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom