OT: I was wrong about Steph Curry | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: I was wrong about Steph Curry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I never thought a guy of Curry's size would be able to be successful with his "one-piece" or "one-movement" form in the NBA. Remarkable.

Reaction Score
Let me know how many of these you see with his feet still on the ground . He doesn't get a ton of elevation, but he never shoots with his feet on the deck.

Shoots it on the way up, if fact he's already in motion and shooting as he jumps but he also has many where he never leaves the floor. As I said in my post he does get off the ground many times. When he's avoiding a defender and he moves sideways it's more prevalent.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Shoots it on the way up, if fact he's already in motion and shooting as he jumps but he also has many where he never leaves the floor. As I said in my post he does get off the ground many times. When he's avoiding a defender and he moves sideways it's more prevalent.
I don't care where he releases the ball from. 402 shots from beyond the arc went in this year. That is unreal. This isn't even up for debate anymore.

Also, FWIW, Curry shoots at the top of his jump. You're just wrong.

Reaction Score
I don't care where he releases the ball from. 402 shots from beyond the arc went in this year. That is unreal. This isn't even up for debate anymore.

Also, FWIW, Curry shoots at the top of his jump. You're just wrong.
Krinkly, I didn't say it wasn't a jump shot. Curry shoots some where he gets off the ground 6 inches, some set shots where his feet are planted. Ray shoots at the top of his jump from about 2 1/2 feet off the hardwood. Never said Curry wasn't great, in fact many more of his attempts have higher difficulty, but they get it done in different ways, but Ray has the better and purer looking shot IMO.

Reaction Score
Krinkly, I didn't say it wasn't a jump shot. Curry shoots some where he gets off the ground 6 inches, some set shots where his feet are planted.

Did you watch the video I linked? His feet are planted on 0% of the 3's he attempts.

Reaction Score
Does the jibsey stand for jibberish? Curry is the best shooter ever and it's not even close. As was pointed out, you can compare Ray to Klay at this point.
If Ray went to a school other than UConn it would be a non-discussion. Its sad that objectiveness is lost with the big arse glasses fans wear. Now some fans are saying one's form is better than the other, hence purer. That's like saying someone makes better layups (not more) because they use 4 fingers instead of 5. I guess next it will be Ray's shoelaces are tied better.

Reaction Score
Statistically the record for the most made three point shots in NBA history belongs to Ray Allen. Statistically the record for the most made threes in a single season belongs to Steph Curry by a huge margin. Those are statistical facts. At some point, given Steph's quick ascension up the leader board, I would predict that he will have the record for the most three point shots in NBA history in a few seasons. Given his young age he may in fact shatter that record by hundreds or more. Although, you never know. He might decide to quit basketball and play baseball for a few years!

Reaction Score
At some point, given Steph's quick ascension up the leader board, I would predict that he will have the record for the most three point shots in NBA history in a few seasons. Given his young age he may in fact shatter that record by hundreds or more. Although, you never know. He might decide to quit basketball and play baseball for a few years!

Michael Jordan is universally believed to be the greatest basketball player of all time. Even if Steph Curry took a few years off or retired early and didn't break Ray's record, he would still be the greatest shooter of all time, just as Michael Jordan never broke Kareem's all-time scoring mark.

Reaction Score
BUMP - This is a pretty interesting thread to scroll thru in light of what happened in this year's playoffs. LeBron had unquestionably reclaimed the throne. Steph goes back to the workshop.

Reaction Score
BUMP - This is a pretty interesting thread to scroll thru in light of what happened in this year's playoffs. LeBron had unquestionably reclaimed the throne. Steph goes back to the workshop.
Durp FLASH IN A PAN

Reaction Score
Curry was bad the whole series, but particularly awful last night. Not even in the same conversation w Lebron, and I'm the furthest thing from a Lebron-backer

Reaction Score
Hey like it or not, LJ is the guy not Steph.

I have to say though, the NBA is in huge trouble when those 2 teams are your best. I mean neither hardly played a guy over 6'8" for any extended periods and there were a lot of pretty ho0hum players out there on the court beside the obvious 4 or 5. Fun to watch, not impressed with the brand minus the stars but I'm not much of an NBA guy anyway.

Next

Reaction Score
Hey like it or not, LJ is the guy not Steph.

I have to say though, the NBA is in huge trouble when those 2 teams are your best. I mean neither hardly played a guy over 6'8" for any extended periods and there were a lot of pretty ho0hum players out there on the court beside the obvious 4 or 5. Fun to watch, not impressed with the brand minus the stars but I'm not much of an NBA guy anyway.

Next
If you aren't much of an NBA guy you come in biased, but at same time that's the fan the NBA wants to bring in for the finals/playoffs. I'm 50-50 on the basketball played. Last night's game was great and game 6 OKC-GSW was great, but that's almost it for the last month+ of NBA basketball. A bit of a concern that either the teams (GSW/Cleveland) or the type of basketball (lots of 3s) creates many more lopsided games on either side and not as many competitive games. It was really interesting coming down the stretch last night that we had almost no playoff evidence of what either team would do in a one possession game. GSW had plenty of tight games that it pulled out in the regular season, but those really were not relevant anymore. Cleveland simply tightened the defensive grip in the 4th Q in each of the last 3 games and that was the series.

My takeaways
1. LeBron is unquestionable the best player in the world, importance of all-around game esp defense really highlighted in the postseason
2. Many people myself included underestimated the 'mission' that LeBron and Cleveland were on. Mission impressively accomplished.
3. Series swung on the Draymond suspension, and LeBron very intelligently bated DGreen into it and Draymond very immaturely succumbed. Bogut injury played a smaller factor but was a factor none of this takes anything away from Cleveland, they WON the series.
4. Kyrie Irving performed a miraculous turnaround and harnessing of his one-on-one abilities over the final 3 games after an absolute dumpster fire performance in the 4th game.
5. Curry and Warriors will be motivated and better next postseason I bet. Big learning experience and the playoff toughness is by far the most important takeaway, but I think you'll see a regular season sacrifice towards a Popovich-esque strategic resting of players.
6. Its silly that a lot of us get roped into 'hot take' inspired rooting against the greatest players. Just b/c Curry had a phenomenal regular season and for a variety of non-historical factors (meaning Curry being unanimous had NOTHING to do with prior MVP winners comparatively basketball-wise) won the first ever unanimous MVP fans shouldn't immediately pivot to a hater viewpoint & knock down the hype - this one is tough though cuz clearly Westbrook and then LeBron had this motivation and it affected basketball games. LeBron's play has always been otherworldly and to root against him because of too much hype, one mistaken DECISION or how he's 'rated' is a fool's errand.

Reaction Score
Nothing to hang his head about. It took the best 2 year span of shooting in history for Curry to pass Lebron as the most valuable player in basketball. He was shooting at a slightly unsustainable clip. Unless he's completely locked in, it's hard to be better than Lebron because the guy simply does it all and does so extremely efficiently. Lebron is just crazy with what he brings to a team even on an off shooting night.

Reaction Score
Nothing to hang his head about. It took the best 2 year span of shooting in history for Curry to pass Lebron as the most valuable player in basketball. He was shooting at a slightly unsustainable clip. Unless he's completely locked in, it's hard to be better than Lebron because the guy simply does it all and does so extremely efficiently. Lebron is just crazy with what he brings to a team even on an off shooting night.
Oh I disagree there. Even if it was because of injury, we've got 2 years now where Curry has been unable to even sustain much less elevate his game on the biggest stage. In his OWN eyes this is what you play for and the most important thing, so the regular season achievements and awards/records are nice, but I'm quite certain he's motivated to find a way to take his play to a new level (or sustain the regular season levels) in the postseason.

Reaction Score
It's crazy how much they let the Cavs harass him off the ball. They didn't even allow that from OKC.

That said, he had good looks and he missed them, some of them badly.

I'm not willing to say he's overrated or anything yet. His numbers don't look great, but his team has a good chance of making it back here provided they stay healthy.

Reaction Score
If you aren't much of an NBA guy you come in biased, but at same time that's the fan the NBA wants to bring in for the finals/playoffs. I'm 50-50 on the basketball played. Last night's game was great and game 6 OKC-GSW was great, but that's almost it for the last month+ of NBA basketball. A bit of a concern that either the teams (GSW/Cleveland) or the type of basketball (lots of 3s) creates many more lopsided games on either side and not as many competitive games. It was really interesting coming down the stretch last night that we had almost no playoff evidence of what either team would do in a one possession game. GSW had plenty of tight games that it pulled out in the regular season, but those really were not relevant anymore. Cleveland simply tightened the defensive grip in the 4th Q in each of the last 3 games and that was the series.

My takeaways
1. LeBron is unquestionable the best player in the world, importance of all-around game esp defense really highlighted in the postseason
2. Many people myself included underestimated the 'mission' that LeBron and Cleveland were on. Mission impressively accomplished.
3. Series swung on the Draymond suspension, and LeBron very intelligently bated DGreen into it and Draymond very immaturely succumbed. Bogut injury played a smaller factor but was a factor none of this takes anything away from Cleveland, they WON the series.
4. Kyrie Irving performed a miraculous turnaround and harnessing of his one-on-one abilities over the final 3 games after an absolute dumpster fire performance in the 4th game.
5. Curry and Warriors will be motivated and better next postseason I bet. Big learning experience and the playoff toughness is by far the most important takeaway, but I think you'll see a regular season sacrifice towards a Popovich-esque strategic resting of players.
6. Its silly that a lot of us get roped into 'hot take' inspired rooting against the greatest players. Just b/c Curry had a phenomenal regular season and for a variety of non-historical factors (meaning Curry being unanimous had NOTHING to do with prior MVP winners comparatively basketball-wise) won the first ever unanimous MVP fans shouldn't immediately pivot to a hater viewpoint & knock down the hype - this one is tough though cuz clearly Westbrook and then LeBron had this motivation and it affected basketball games. LeBron's play has always been otherworldly and to root against him because of too much hype, one mistaken DECISION or how he's 'rated' is a fool's errand.

Agree with almost all of this but #3 as far as Lebron baiting him. He just punk walked over him and deserved what he got. Should have never been suspended and the NBA blew that one. Thing is we don't know if Green plays a big enough part to stop the comeback even had he not been suspended so kudos to LJ and the Cavs for getting it done however.

Irving to me was the key because LJ is the best and he did what you expect, not the same for Irving who can be inconsistent. He was really good!

Reaction Score
When you make 3's you look great. When you miss 3s you don't look to good.

I like Curry a lot - he came up big with the chips down against OKC in the last three games, but he clearly came up weak in the finals by any measure. Shooting is by nature prone to coming and going, but I was more disappointed with his poor point guard play. In the regular season, he still gave you a lot when he wasn't shooting well because he could rack up assists and create for others. He didn't do that at all against Cleveland really.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I like Curry a lot - he came up big with the chips down against OKC in the last three games, but he clearly came up weak in the finals by any measure. Shooting is by nature prone to coming and going, but I was more disappointed with his poor point guard play. In the regular season, he still gave you a lot when he wasn't shooting well because he could rack up assists and create for others. He didn't do that at all against Cleveland really.

This is much more important than the shooting. He essentially forgot how play basketball in the 4th quarter. Couldn't get by Kevin Love? So you take a horrendous shot? That makes a lot of sense.

Reaction Score
He tried to play heroball in the fourth quarter rather than playing the type of basketball that got the Warriors to the Finals.

The Warriors were great because of beautiful ball movement paired with excellent three point shooting. They seemed to all but forget that first part for large chunks of time. The few times you saw the concerted ball movement that made them great, they scored.

Reaction Score
Agree with almost all of this but #3 as far as Lebron baiting him. He just punk walked over him and deserved what he got. Should have never been suspended and the NBA blew that one. Thing is we don't know if Green plays a big enough part to stop the comeback even had he not been suspended so kudos to LJ and the Cavs for getting it done however.

Irving to me was the key because LJ is the best and he did what you expect, not the same for Irving who can be inconsistent. He was really good!
It is guesswork on my part (that LeBron baited him) and clearly LeBron lost his cool there more than we've ever seen on the basketball court. But it was predictable given Draymond's precarious technical foul situation - so almost zero doubt in my mind as a blood-lust competitor the tech situation is in the back of your mind and it 'steps' to the fore when a situation like that presents itself. Basketball is a mental game and you have to look for those opportunities for an advantage, I would hope to have the presence of mind to think about it at that moment and I would do it.

I disagree about Draymond getting suspended simply because this was literally his 4th cheap nut shot of the playoffs. Draymond should have known better and there's no place for that. Hit him in the leg, stomach, face whatever but the nuts should be the absolute last place you go. Somehow he went there multiple times. He lost his cool, had a recidivist type history with the exact play and he deserved what he got. The one act unquestionably had an impact that was far greater than the one play even as a nut shot deserved in a vacuum, but that's Draymond's fault as he was punished for the accumulation of offenses.

Reaction Score
It is guesswork on my part (that LeBron baited him) and clearly LeBron lost his cool there more than we've ever seen on the basketball court. But it was predictable given Draymond's precarious technical foul situation - so almost zero doubt in my mind as a blood-lust competitor the tech situation is in the back of your mind and it 'steps' to the fore when a situation like that presents itself. Basketball is a mental game and you have to look for those opportunities for an advantage, I would hope to have the presence of mind to think about it at that moment and I would do it.

I disagree about Draymond getting suspended simply because this was literally his 4th cheap nut shot of the playoffs. Draymond should have known better and there's no place for that. Hit him in the leg, stomach, face whatever but the nuts should be the absolute last place you go. Somehow he went there multiple times. He lost his cool, had a recidivist type history with the exact play and he deserved what he got. The one act unquestionably had an impact that was far greater, but that's Draymond's fault as he was punished for the accumulation of offenses.

Yeah but by far the least of the reactions to the nuts so why this one? it was one of 2 reasons or in this case probably both - It was Lebron and they wanted more games to be played. Shouldn't have been suspended based on the fact they didn't prior in worst case scenario's this was way to obvious by the NBA and it worked in their favor as they wished. But it wouldn't have worked if Lebron didn't play out of his mind I admit that.

Reaction Score
He tried to play heroball in the fourth quarter rather than playing the type of basketball that got the Warriors to the Finals.

The Warriors were great because of beautiful ball movement paired with excellent three point shooting. They seemed to all but forget that first part for large chunks of time. The few times you saw the concerted ball movement that made them great, they scored.
Yes, he tried to play hero ball and I don't think he really treasured the moment, think this is a really great learning experience.

Through the last 2 years I think a lot of things have come very easily for the Warriors and Curry, think they became very non chalant in the way they played and I truly think they never ever thought they wouldn't win the championship, not at any moment, even when Kyrie hit the 3, I think in the back of their minds they still thought they would win because that's what they've done in the last 2 years, basically win every game just about.

I've never seen a behind the back non chalant pass in Game 7 of the Finals in the 4th quarter like Curry made and then the heave. It was really odd, the only thing I could come up with for the reasons is my statements above.

Think this will put great fire in the Warriors and Curry, will be even scarier next year.

Reaction Score
Yeah but by far the least of the reactions to the nuts so why this one? it was one of 2 reasons or in this case probably both - It was Lebron and they wanted more games to be played. Shouldn't have been suspended based on the fact they didn't prior in worst case scenario's this was way to obvious by the NBA and it worked in their favor as they wished. But it wouldn't have worked if Lebron didn't play out of his mind I admit that.
Three reasons why this one:
1. It was the 4th flagrant foul of playoffs so automatic suspension for an accumulation of offenses.
2. Previously Green wasn't judged to have intentionally kicked Steven Adams in the groin & therefore was 'only' assessed a flagrant 2 and not suspended for a game (when many thought he should have been) mostly because it was unclear if it was on purpose or just a flail of leg to draw a foul. This last nut shot removed that uncertainty and something had to be done to stop Draymond from repeatedly hitting opposing players in the nuts.
3. So arguably the Warriors aren't even in the finals if Draymond didn't get to keep playing thru his likely intentional hitting other players in the groin, so taking it away from him and them at that point became very arguably just desserts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom