OT: Hurricane Irma | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Hurricane Irma

Reaction Score
How can the Keys survive? Marathon FL has to be expecting horrific devastation. Also got to expect them Gators to be floating around in the streets. Its worrisome and I live in CT.

Reaction Score
Aircraft carrier, mini armada on the way to help after Irma

>>With two warships already bound south into the Caribbean on Hurricane Irma relief missions, the Navy announced Friday it has put the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln, two amphibious assault ships and a destroyer on standby to help federal, state or local authorities in post-Irma humanitarian relief efforts, “if requested.” The USS Iwo Jima and USS New York, left their home port in Mayport, Florida, earlier this week for Norfolk, Virginia to pick up more than 300 Marines and sailors with the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing and II Marine Expeditionary Force, according to an announcement by the Fleet Forces Command. As of Friday, they were headed back south.<<

>>Meantime, the Navy said, the Arleigh Burke-class destroyer USS Farragut was already “conducting local operations” and has been ordered to join the group. From the four ships, the statement said, the Navy can deploy three “Super Stallion” helicopters, which have been used in heavy-lift assault operations in Afghanistan and Iraq; and 24 multi-mission medium-lift Seahawk MH 60 combat helicopters, which can be used for search and rescue missions.<<

Reaction Score
My in laws have a place in Venice. Stay safe down there you guys.

Ppgc eh .... ill pm next time im down there ;)

Sounds good, I'll be easy to find, the old guy with white hair

Reaction Score
Stressful when you have family down there. I got my step brother/mother a flight out of Orlando tonight. They have a small dog, but haven't been able to find a travel bag within an hour of Orlando. They bought a nice duffle and are going to cut some holes in it. Even more frustrating than not finding a bag (supply and demand is what it is) is that they can't get anyone from United to say if the bag situation is okay or not. My step brother has a friend nearby that would watch the dog if she isn't allowed to fly, but that's hard to do if United only tells him the bag isn't acceptable when boarding.

I told him to stay calm and record them if they try to tell him no. Explain that this isn't a perfect situation, but everyone is just trying to get safe, and he has the dog fully contained (and with a vinyl bottom to protect the plane). Ask if they are really going to make him, his mom, and their blind dachshund wait out the storm without a place to stay (since they drove to Orlando) and tell them he is going to post this on every social media and news sight he can find.

If anyone is in Orlando and has an extra dog bag for a 15 pound dog, let me know!

UPDATE: THE DOG IS ON THE PLANE. They questioned the bag, but he pulled the "blind dog on one of the last flights out" card.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My father-in-law is in Naples, 3 blocks from the beach, and in De Nile (gonna get wet - or worse).

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I'm not a violent guy, but every time I hear someone express joy over the hurricane damage (be it Harvey or Irma) due to the political views of the people who live in those regions, it takes every ounce of restraint in me not to knock their teeth out.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
A weather guy in Ft Lauderdale said he thinks many places in Florida will be unrecognizable once Irma blows by.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately we're on a canal near the mouth of Chattahoochee river in Ft Myers. And it looks like we're stuck here . We may try to leave tomorrow afternoon but the major worry at this point is getting stuck on a highway when the storm hits. There are people who evacuated to the west coast when the storm was going up the east coast and now they are trying to go east with all the people that live here , there's no point heading north, it's a mess. Anyway I will post updates when I can. I wish anyone in Florida luck cause it's not looking so good

Reaction Score
climate change data showing models for the next 100 years.

Models. These "climate change" models haven't yet predicted anything right over the last 30 years, and you're worrying about what they are spitting out for the next 100? SMH.

Regardless, hope you and all the Husky Floridians stay safe!

Reaction Score
And how do you know that there will be a greater frequency? Before this year hurricane activity was nil.

When people say stuff like this, it sure sounds like they're saying that tropical cyclones that don't make landfall in the United States don't exist. That's not really what they think is it?

Reaction Score
Unfortunately we're on a canal near the mouth of Chattahoochee river in Ft Myers. And it looks like we're stuck here . We may try to leave tomorrow afternoon but the major worry at this point is getting stuck on a highway when the storm hits. There are people who evacuated to the west coast when the storm was going up the east coast and now they are trying to go east with all the people that live here , there's no point heading north, it's a mess. Anyway I will post updates when I can. I wish anyone in Florida luck cause it's not looking so good
My step mother's plan was to leave Palm Beach Cnty and stay with a cousin in Ft Myers. That was definitely a common move so I can imagine the mass exodus back. Good luck and I hope you and the other FL huskies will post an update on your safety when Irma is through.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Here in Poincianna, Polk county, waiting for Irma. Expecting Cat 1 winds by Sunday night. We are expecting to loose power between Sunday night and Monday morning.

We are prepared as are our neighbors. Going to ride this one out. House is built to withstand 160 mph winds.

Sta safe out there.

pj

Reaction Score
I have studied sea level rise maps and climate change data showing models for the next 100 years. Right in Tampa at USF, which by the way assumes their campus will be under water in the future. Past results do not dictate the future.

Nor do climate change predictions.

When people say stuff like this, it sure sounds like they're saying that tropical cyclones that don't make landfall in the United States don't exist. That's not really what they think is it?

It was random when the storms were small or missed us, and it is random now that we have a large one hitting us. Time and chance happeneth to them all.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Models. These "climate change" models haven't yet predicted anything right over the last 30 years, and you're worrying about what they are spitting out

It is not a weather report. They said oceans will get warmer, glaciers will melt, land will be lost to the sea and storms will be more frequent and powerful. All have happened.

Reaction Score
I have studied sea level rise maps and climate change data showing models for the next 100 years.
They can't predict the weather two months from now and climate prediction models in vogue at the end of last century, a mere 17 years ago, failed miserably to project the next 17 years.

Not that I think there is not a problem that needs to be reviewed, and not that I'm voicing any particular position on AGW or CC, but it's quite apparent to me that 100 year climate models are not helpful to the conversation.

Reaction Score
Who knows. Maybe they do. On the flip side, I distinctly recall the last time, a few years back, several hurricanes made landfall there were many vociferous AGW/CC activists arguing publicly that the hurricane activity was a direct result of AGW/CC. That's not really what they think, is it?
Point is, there seems to me to be plenty of hysteria, entrenchment, and unscientific rationalization on both sides of the issue.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Yes, anyone who says there is causation from a particular weather event misses the point.
It being really cold out does not mean global warming is false. And a hurricane cannot be proof of cc.
That would be stupid.
You look at the trends: warmer, more unsettled, water rising, etc. They all support the Science
So Irma cannot be said to be caused by cc, but in increase in severe weather events, maintained over years is proof toward cc.

Reaction Score
Models. These "climate change" models haven't yet predicted anything right over the last 30 years, and you're worrying about what they are spitting out for the next 100? SMH.

Regardless, hope you and all the Husky Floridians stay safe!

Wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom