OT: Hurricane Irma | The Boneyard

OT: Hurricane Irma

Reaction Score
Hope you Floridians are reading this thread in a different state. Be safe and take precautions. I found this pic comparing the hurricanes exactly 7 years apart.

vc5nzWS.jpg

Reaction Score
I have two good friends who live with there families on St Martin, they are ok, but total devastation on the island.

Reaction Score
Left Jacksonville for Sarasota. Florida and coastal areas really need to rethink the way we build cities / and create codes. I believe this is going g to continue to repeat with a higher frequency in the future.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
We have quite a few friends and family there, and except for an elderly mother/daughter pair (88 and 66yrs) who left last wknd, as they have more than 40 years of Florida living behind them and have been through enough hurricanes and know their own physical limitations, they are all hunkered down to ride this thing out. I don't see the logic. If the storm decides to destroy your home, there is nothing you are going to do to stop it in situ. Being there just means you get to watch it happen.

Reaction Score
Recent models show more of a veering right off the coast instead of a direct hit, but I'm watching to see what the impact is on Key West. Worst case, there is no more Key West similar to what's left of St Maarten.

Reaction Score
Recent models show more of a veering right off the coast instead of a direct hit, but I'm watching to see what the impact is on Key West. Worst case, there is no more Key West similar to what's left of St Maarten.

11:00 Advisory - wiggled west.

Reaction Score
Obviously when property loss is the worst thing to come out of a storm of this magnitude it's a good thing, but I can't imagine how heart-wrenching it must be to watch nature completely wipe out your home. I'll take a billion snowstorms over that.

Reaction Score
We live in Venice FL small city on west coast. Our house has hurricane impact windows and doors, three miles from coast. Currently on trip in Europe returning on September 16th so will be safe but (irrationally) feeling helpless because we are not home to sit and wait for Mother Nature to trample again on another part of the USA.

Reaction Score
We live in Venice FL small city on west coast. Our house has hurricane impact windows and doors, three miles from coast. Currently on trip in Europe returning on September 16th so will be safe but (irrationally) feeling helpless because we are not home to sit and wait for Mother Nature to trample again on another part of the USA.

I am in Venice right now. Pelican Pointe.

Reaction Score
We live in Sawgrass right around the corner, play PPGC about once a week.

Hopefully it's just rain and wind. No fuel really and that's in town. Off 75 is bone dry. Calm before the storm. It's a waiting game now.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Lived in Key West for two years. It is so vulnerable.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Hope you Floridians are reading this thread in a different state. Be safe and take precautions. I found this pic comparing the hurricanes exactly 7 years apart.

vc5nzWS.jpg
Thanks. I am in a different state but worried about my place on the Gulf coast. The latest models have shifted to the west. I am on a bluff at 55 ft so not in an evacuation zone, but the entire Sand Key where we used to live from Clearwater to St Pete are under mandatory evacuation.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Here in Jacksonville. Outside of typical evacuation areas. Got all my supplies. Just waiting now.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
And this is why I'm never leaving CT. or the
Tri- State area. I'll take 4 feet of snow and short summers over what other regions get.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
And this is why I'm never leaving CT. or the
Tri- State area. I'll take 4 feet of snow and short summers over what other regions get.

Note to self...today is the day I finally learned why Horatio is never leaving Connecticut. It is a good day.

Reaction Score
And how do you know that there will be a greater frequency? Before this year hurricane activity was nil.

I have studied sea level rise maps and climate change data showing models for the next 100 years. Right in Tampa at USF, which by the way assumes their campus will be under water in the future. Past results do not dictate the future.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
We live in Sawgrass right around the corner, play PPGC about once a week.

My in laws have a place in Venice. Stay safe down there you guys.

Ppgc eh .... ill pm next time im down there ;)

Reaction Score
2 pm update had it taking another wiggle west and put Cuba at bigger risk. However, reports now from recent data have it wiggling back north again (bad for FL). We'll see to what extent that's true at the 5pm update.

Also, its 24 hours of weakening could be over, especially if it avoids interaction with Cuba. The storm just finished up an Eye Wall Replacement Cycle, which means it's better organized, more stable, and potentially more dangerous. Especially when considering the ultra-warm waters in the Florida Straits (>85 degrees, some of the warmest in the word). I'm only an amateur, but I would not be surprised if the storm intensified back to a Cat 5 with 165+ mph winds by land fall. Pretty much a worst case scenario. Hopefully, that doesn't happen.

Thoughts and prayers to all those in the line of this historic storm. Decades from now it will probably rank up with Okeechobee 1928, Labor Day 1935, and Andrew as the worst ones to hit Florida.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom