OT: How Retro Can You Go! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: How Retro Can You Go!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
David Blatt was from my old neighborhood of Borough Park in Brooklyn. In 1963 he replaced Jay Traynor as lead singer of Jay and the Americans and became known as Jay Black. He sang lead for most of their hits. Also from the neighborhood was a guy named Sandy Koufax. Can’t remember what he became famous for but pretty sure it wasn’t his singing.

Great stories. It's these kind of memories that, to me, connect us to our past and each other. I saw Jay and the Americans 3x with Jay Black nee David at Murray the K shows. He was always spectacular. I did see The Tokens and Jay Seigel (they did "Lion") with Murray as well as Neil Sedaka (solo), who was an original Token. I always preferred Traynor's version of "She Cried". In all honesty I don't speak about this stuff with anyone except here on the BY.

JordyG

Reaction Score

Now just on eyeball that's Herbie, Freddie, Ron Carter, Tony Williams, and Henderson. Am I right? Wiki/youtube, here I come. But not from "Kind Of Blue", of course. Nice choice.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Now just on eyeball that's Herbie, Freddie, Ron Carter, Tony Williams, and Henderson. Am I right? Wiki/youtube, here I come.
Oooo. I'm patting myself on the back.

Reaction Score
Someone once asked Coltrane what was it like to work for Miles and he said, "I don't know man. He just seemed to be pissed off all the time". By the way I just bought "Both Directions At Once", the deluxe version in hi-rez download. Sublime.
My favorite Miles quote: "It takes a long time to learn how to play like yourself."

JordyG

Reaction Score
My favorite Miles quote: "It takes a long time to learn how to play like yourself."
I was at a Barnes and Noble here in NY one day and stumbled upon a book signing by Ron Carter. He spoke a bit about Miles mentioning how cheap he was, how he made Ron responsible for making sure the band arrived on time, never paying on time, frequently not paying the band at all, and had Ron doing the band arrangements. All while being underpaid or not at all. On another day I walked into another Barnes and Noble and their was Herbie talking about his book. He didn't mention Miles much, except for being grateful for the opportunity to play with him.

Yeah, I go to B and N practically every week for new releases. Yesterday was a book signing with Rene Fleming and the cast of "Carousel". I was gushing like a teenager. She is to me the great operatic voice of my generation.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Here’s some more doo-wop, this one from the Mothers.

here is the one I know from my younger days. From the collection of Porky Chedwick. The daddio of the raddio, the platter pushin' poppa, the deacon of the dusties, the master of the moldies, from WAMO radio in Pittsburgh ,Pa.

BEL AIRES WHITE PORT & LEMON JUICE.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
here is the one I know from my younger days. From the collection of Porky Chedwick. The daddio of the raddio, the platter pushin' poppa, the deacon of the dusties, the master of the moldies, from WAMO radio in Pittsburgh ,Pa.

BEL AIRES WHITE PORT & LEMON JUICE.

That sounds like a completely different song. How can there be TWO songs about white port and lemon juice? Was it an actual drink??

BTW, Zappa didn't write the one he sang. It was a minor hit around LA in the late 50's-early 60's. He said it sounded so much like something he would write that he had to record it.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
That sounds like a completely different song. How can there be TWO songs about white port and lemon juice? Was it an actual drink??

BTW, Zappa didn't write the one he sang. It was a minor hit around LA in the late 50's-early 60's. He said it sounded so much like something he would write that he had to record it.
It was an actual drink in certain circles. There were quite a few recordings of it. The Four Deuces also did a version in the mid fifties that played on oldies stations in the sixties. We heard it at local dances and on local stations in the early sixties in and around Pittsburgh, Pa. BTW, it is also a radio station in New York City!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom