OT: How Retro Can You Go! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: How Retro Can You Go!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Wow....Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I haven't heard some of these songs in over 50 years. I can happily report say that I'm not suffering from Alzheimer's because I remember most these songs and the words. Those songs remind me of happy days when life was less complicated, and gasoline was 15 cents a gallon, and ALL service stations were "full service" gas stations.

I remember when these songs were on the top 40 play list on our local radio stations here in So. Cal. No doubt cities across the country had their own local radio stations that played top 40 music. No matter where you grew up, you heard most of these songs when they were new, and not "oldies".

I particularly love and remembered the doo wop era music. A genre all it's own. I remember seeing Elvis make his debut on The Ed Sullivan Show in Sept of 1956. Not to mention the local dance shows on TV geared towards teenagers. We had those too. Everyone remembers American Bandstand with the ageless Dick Clark.

Bandstand at first was a regional show from Philadelphia in 1952. But it soon became the highest rated local daytime TV show in the nation, and that got the attention of network executives in New York. By August 1957, now called American Bandstand, ABC began broadcasting the show nationwide at 3 p.m. for an hour-and-a-half. If you were a musician, you wanted to appear on "Bandstand", especially after it went nationwide.

And we all remember this guy........ If he doesn't make you laugh, better check your pulse, you may be dead. :D
Rodney. The last bastion of the one liners. "Last night I played this club. It was two steps down, physically and socially". Also Henny Youngman. "I went to the doctor. I said, 'Doc, it hurts when I do that'. He said, "Don't do that'."

Reaction Score
Brenda Lee was a regular guest on Bandstand. We all wanted to take her out. :)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Brenda Lee was a regular guest on Bandstand. We all wanted to take her out. :)

Brenda Lee and Shirley Temple, two American treasures that began their careers in show business at a very young age.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Like Frank Zappa and doo-wop, Tom Waits's early stuff was often heavily influenced by tin-pan alley. This one isn't that strongly influenced, but features one of the best bass lines I've ever heard.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Like Frank Zappa and doo-wop, Tom Waits's early stuff was often heavily influenced by tin-pan alley. This one isn't that strongly influenced, but features one of the best bass lines I've ever heard.

Well actually doo-wop has deeper roots in barbershop quartets than tin-pan alley. Just as early R & R from Big Mama Thornton and Big Joe Turner has deep roots in boogie-woogie.

Carnac

Reaction Score
How about these 4?

The 4 tops when they first got national exposure. They look awfully young here. I grew up with The Motown sound beginning in the early 60's.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Well actually doo-wop has deeper roots in barbershop quartets than tin-pan alley. Just as early R & R from Big Mama Thornton and Big Joe Turner has deep roots in boogie-woogie.
Expressed myself poorly. I should have said, "As Frank Zappa's early music was heavily influenced by doo-wop, Tom Waits's early stuff was influenced by tin-pan alley.

JordyG

Reaction Score
The 4 tops when they first got national exposure. They look awfully young here. I grew up with The Motown sound beginning in the early 60's.
I know I've said this but I attended about 6 or 7 Murray the K shows, and by the time he took over they were actually Motown revues. You name the Motown act and I saw them at least twice, some up to 5x. The 4 Tops though I never saw in person. But Smokey? 5x. The Supremes twice. You get the picture. By the time I was 12, including other shows at other venues, I saw close to 100 live music acts.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Expressed myself poorly. I should have said, "As Frank Zappa's early music was heavily influenced by doo-wop, Tom Waits's early stuff was influenced by tin-pan alley.
All true.

Reaction Score
Notice the guitar player on the left playing the upside down right handed guitar.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom