OT: how does Manuel have a job still? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: how does Manuel have a job still?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno was never going to leave and his deal was always going to get done.
He had a plane ticket to Columbus for the interview. I doubt Geno would have left UConn but it's sad that a Hall of Fame coach with 7 national championship rings needed to force the issue.

Reaction Score
He had a plane ticket to Columbus for the interview. I doubt Geno would have left UConn but it's sad that a Hall of Fame coach with 7 national championship rings needed to force the issue.
That was probably his agent posturing, which is his/her job. Warde's job is to get the best deal. They said a small dance and all ended as everyone thought it would. Wards did his job and Geno's agent did his/hers. If it was serious Geno would have gotten on that plane to at least be wined and dined. I doubt he ever packed a bag.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That was probably his agent posturing, which is his/her job. Warde's job is to get the best deal. They said a small dance and all ended as everyone thought it would. Wards did his job and Geno's agent did his/hers. If it was serious Geno would have gotten on that plane to at least be wined and dined. I doubt he ever packed a bag.
Geno got a 33% increase. That Manuel is some shrewd negotiator.

There's more to it than I'm allowed to say but I will say that your scenario is wrong.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

There's more to it than I'm allowed to say but I will say that your scenario is wrong.

There is no doubt in my mind that he has made a mess of both basketball contract negotiations. An absolute mess.

The only defense I will offer on Warde's behalf is that I think he has very little to do with the Conference Realignment situation (which was the OP's original gripe). But the contracts.....uggh!...

Reaction Score

With all the respect you are deservedly due Nan, I'm slightly disappointed in "Allowed to say". I understand you don't want to expose sources or put out unverified info but that creates more uncertainty out here, especially with the folks who aren't quite sold on Manuel.

IMO, Geno is getting paid what he's worth, and if he gets it done in New Orleans this weekend that actually strengthens our CR case (yes I know it's football driven but one of the unplayed cards is the negative effect landing outside a power conference will have on the nation's premier women's hoop programs).

On the other hand if Geno got so PO'd at Manuel/Herbst he wanted to leave, he could certainly cash in at Ohio State or a school of a similar stature with a nine-figure athletic budget. But after the cash he wouldn't have the many other things that make his life easier here (compliant media for starters, plus less endorsement opportunities, and the recruiting infrastructure; i.e. would be much tougher to recruit elsewhere where program wasn't as established as this one is).

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

Thanks for sharing Nan. We don't always have the full story here - I just assumed there was a lot of posturing going on, but sounds like things were more tenuous than we thought. Although, I will say, if Geno were to leave his restaurant and food investments would make no sense. But it's done, we keep a HOF coach another five years and hopefully that is enough to get us to safe harbors.

Tangentially related, I can't explain how happy I am that WM and JC put aside any differences they may have (don't know if they have any, but I'm sure WM didn't appreciate having his hands tied) and signed up for another 4 years. Just hearing JC's comments on ESPN and now the Brando show I feel great knowing that someone in that AD's office DESPERATELY wants out of the AAC. If anyone can push others to get it done its JC and I wouldn't be surprised if he is key in providing the funding/resource support that it takes to push us over the hill into a big-time conference. He sees the UConn athletics as his creation, and I'm sure he doesn't want to see it slip back to a C-USA level. Honestly, I think this is a huge move on WM's part and I'm not sure every AD would have buried the hatched in this way.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

The highest paid coach in the game got a 33% raise on top of that and you're worried about style points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom