OT: how does Manuel have a job still? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: how does Manuel have a job still?

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
NOTE: I blame him squarely for this conference mess and his inability to communicate UConn's vision and value. He' s an awful mouthpiece for the University. If people like me and others think he's a clown how do the people he needs to influence, which he's failed at, view him? Yes, I know that's rhetorical.
He's so incompetent I bet he hangs the portrait photographs in his office in landscape orientation.

Reaction Score
Let's just take a deep breath, and back off sarcastic remarks.......which are generated out of frustration.....and let SH and WM do their jobs.

Most of us do not have "inside connections" to know what is going on behind the scenes, and if we did, most of us do not have any experience as a university president or AD........so really don't know much beyond idle speculation as to "what they should be doing"

Both WM and SH have extensive backgrounds from major institutions.......and what they haven't learned from previous jobs they've certainly made rounds in respective professional organizations.......so they know how and the way things are done in numerous organizations. From personal experience and professional contacts.......they've seen what works and what don't.

I don't know what is going on behind the scenes......but can speculate with a positive attitude that SH, WM, Bd of Trustees, and beyond are doing what needs to be done.......but probably not at the pace ALL of us are hoping.

Small steps for UConn.......just as Neil Armstrong made a small step for the space program.

We will succeed.......have faith!

Reaction Score
There are 2 was to succeed - rise above, or try and drag others down. My gut tells me everyone here bitching and moaning about WM's (or any other person's) job is mediocre on a good day at work. Typically the folks who complain the loudest are those who simply can't cut it, period.

Reaction Score
His own players? You expecting a lot of freshman or red shirt freshman to play? Otherwise other than couple of JC/transfer guys these are mostly fhcRE guys. GDL is valuable @ $270m you can get as an OL coach? I'd have to say that anyone with a double digit IQ would recognize Ollie's ability (Freescooter aside). Yeah, he sure did a great negotiating job paying a girl's basketball coach $2 mill a year and sure he is instrumental in the baseball teams upward trend.
This is PP's 3rd year, but he's only really had two full recruiting classes. this year should be the first where his players specifically should have a big impact.

Reaction Score
There are 2 was to succeed - rise above, or try and drag others down. My gut tells me everyone here bitching and moaning about WM's (or any other person's) job is mediocre on a good day at work. Typically the folks who complain the loudest are those who simply can't cut it, period.
pretty loud words chief...

Reaction Score
This is PP's 3rd year, but he's only really had two full recruiting classes. this year should be the first where his players specifically should have a big impact.

That's such a meaningless excuse. I think I can speak for a good many people in that, I would prefer to see what some other coaches could do with his recruits. Lord knows he wasn't able to win games with a roster littered with NFL draftees and free agents.

Reaction Score
That's such a meaningless excuse. I think I can speak for a good many people in that, I would prefer to see what some other coaches could do with his recruits. Lord knows he wasn't able to win games with a roster littered with NFL draftees and free agents.

I am not as hot about the poor performance as I was in November. Maybe, I am giving him a chance for a solid 2013.

The Contra? That damn George DeLeone. How can you watch 5 years of UConn Football & accept that our Offensive Line play has gone from solid to tragic. I do think we have better QB talent. I don't think we have anywhere near the depth RE brought at RB. WR better. But, you simply cannot have much of an offense without blocking from 5 guys. And, Mike Foley is still on the staff.

Reaction Score
Who did you think was/going to be our best OL going into last season?

I will answer this in a serious tone. (cause I don't know where you are coming from ...) This isn't just about last year. It's a 2 year cycle now.

We have two solid well-paid Offensive Linemen, from recent history, getting paid really well in the NFL. (Donald Thomas & Will Beatty) Both came from OUR system ... created by Mike Foley. It was also recent history that WE went into South Bend, with all their prime recruits, and pushed them all over the field.

From that day ... 3 kids were shining examples: Moe Petrus, Mike Ryan, Adam Masters. All three solid hard-working kids. And behind them, the string of Kevin Friend, Jimmy Bennett, Steve Greene, Tyler Bullock, et al ... all were prime examples of how a STAFF recruited and then developed a solid Offensive Line for more than a decade. And, we have consistently and continuously upgraded the type of talent we bring from High School.

Petrus and Ryan did not have stellar senior years. Coming into last year, NONE of the consistent UConn Football watchers should have accepted the Spring 2012 pronouncement that we were in horrible shape. Really??? I think this is a DeLeone DeLeone DeLeone construct. We are not 120th in FBS offense because we suddenly have bad kids. And, Pasqualoni does not get off on this ... it's your buddy. There is simply no excuse I would find acceptable for the fall-off of our Offensive Line. We could take Walk-ons and make them a Pro. Next ... we take All-Conference Linemen and they are kerfluffle.

Reaction Score
Right. . On. Pudge.

I expect the usual kid-under-bus-thrower to weigh in soon.

Reaction Score
Insert standard post about how the team had no offensive talent here:

Your Welcome Pasqualoni lovers. I just saved you and the whole board the trouble.

Reaction Score
OMG, is this clown for real?

@UConnFootball: AD Warde Manuel: "I look forward to UConn competing with a great group of universities in the American Athletic Conference"

Reaction Score
OMG, is this clown for real?

@UConnFootball: AD Warde Manuel: "I look forward to UConn competing with a great group of universities in the American Athletic Conference"

So ... what would you like him to say? Honestly, we do need to be sportsmanlike ... and WIN. I know it's tough when you have no responsibility to spout off; but, Manuel has a few different constituencies than your refrigerator.

Reaction Score
Something other than an outright lie I guess.

Maybe, "we look forward to continue to build a strong athletic program and continue our heritage of successful men's and women's athletics." See, easy, no reference to this crap conference.

So ... what would you like him to say? Honestly, we do need to be sportsmanlike ... and WIN. I know it's tough when you have no responsibility to spout off; but, Manuel has a few different constituencies than your refrigerator.

Reaction Score
I thought it would be Bennett. It was his first year actually playing under a different system with very different body types...Everyone is back except Masters so I am hopeful the OLine will improve this year. That's all I can do, root for the team's and coaching staff's success. If they are not , the staff will surely be replaced as three unsuccessful seasons would define a trend.

Reaction Score
I am assuming that Husky91 does NOT work in public relations. Seriously, what is WM supposed to do in this situation? Its obvious that UConn doesn't ultimately want to be in this conference. However we are in this conference for the time being and its important to keep the relationships we have. Do you really expect him to come out and say "We are pissed that we have to now compete with all these loser schools and we think we are better then everyone else in this conference"

That accomplishes nothing....you not only piss off your current conference members that you may have to deal with for a couple years but you also come across like a whiny little b$#th to any possible new conference members but guessing by Husky91's prior posts you would probably be all for it.

Reaction Score
[quote="husky91, post: 563831, member: 927"Maybe, "we look forward to continue to build a strong athletic program and continue our heritage of successful men's and women's athletics." See, easy, no reference to this crap conference.[/quote]

91, you are spot on. There was no need for Warde to tweet out or say anything in this instance. Not saying he has to bitch or whine. The less that is said about the current conference by Susan or Warde the better and pretending it's something the world knows it's not is ridiculous. SH/WM may not realize it but every time they utter "Big East" or "American Athletic Conference" it's a reminder to their assumed constituents that where we are sucks.

and it doesn't mean you have to be mean or whiny or bitchy to our current "partners". Nothing says you can't be cordial to them behind the scenes.

I'd prefer someone like Calhoun who gives hope - "This time next year we won't be where we are now" - or get wind of a behind-the-scenes PR campaign like Cincinnati is mounting.

Reaction Score
Manuel is in a very different position than Calhoun. Calhoun is "minister without portfolio" and can say whatever he wants. Doesn't mean a thing. And if he goes off the reservation, UConn can deny he is speaking for it. Manuel has to sell tickets, keep up relationships, sell this steaming pile to donors and boosters, and as AD he in fact does speak for the University...

Reaction Score
I thought it would be Bennett. It was his first year actually playing under a different system with very different body types...Everyone is back except Masters so I am hopeful the OLine will improve this year. That's all I can do, root for the team's and coaching staff's success. If they are not , the staff will surely be replaced as three unsuccessful seasons would define a trend.

I thought it would be Friend. The rest? True. Very true. They don't have a cupcake schedule to help either.

I'm hoping that Masters impressed somebody last week, and ends up in a camp, and makes a roster, because the skills he's got now, coming of out school, will change the trend on opinion of OL's coming out of UCONN into the NFL, and that will help offensive recruiting ramp up dramatically.

Reaction Score
I thought it would be Friend. The rest? True. Very true. They don't have a cupcake schedule to help either.

I'm hoping that Masters impressed somebody last week, and ends up in a camp, and makes a roster, because the skills he's got now, coming of out school, will change the trend on opinion of OL's coming out of UCONN into the NFL, and that will help offensive recruiting ramp up dramatically.

Masters and Friend made more sense because they both had a year of game time under their belts. This will be Friend's 3rd year starting(if in fact he does) under this system so it will be interesting to note his progress.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Let's just think about what we are hearing in the past few weeks: 1) extra seats for Michigan; 2) BYU series with a game in E.Hart in 2014; 3) Boise State series with a game in E. Hart in 2014; 4) a complete athletic re-branding in three weeks that we have been desperately needing; 5) we now have three solid bball games next year in NYC (1 @ Barclays, 2 @ MSG); 6) Geno just signed for another 5 years with his team poised for FF #6 in a row; 7) Jimmy Calhoun just signed on for 4 years; 8) Uconn hockey is one more season away from competing in Hockey East.
That almost didn't happen, the Geno contract thing. It took a job offer from Ohio State to get Geno's contract written. I was seriously pissed at Manuel.

Reaction Score
I was seriously pissed at Manuel.

Really? Geno 's contract was going to get done. There's nothing wrong with another school's interest spurring action. Agents use that tactic every day. Life goes on. WestHartHusk chronicled it well. Manuel and Herbst are taking this University to places they've never been (OK-insert conference joke here ) but we are moving forward rapidly on all fronts---and fonts!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom