OT: how does Manuel have a job still? | The Boneyard

OT: how does Manuel have a job still?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At most companies if you are this incompetent you get booted, contract or not. Every organization makes a bad hire or two along the way they have to deal with.

Reaction Score
NOTE: I blame him squarely for this conference mess and his inability to communicate UConn's vision and value. He' s an awful mouthpiece for the University. If people like me and others think he's a clown how do the people he needs to influence, which he's failed at, view him? Yes, I know that's rhetorical.

Reaction Score
On several major Athletic Department issues in the last year (and I'm not sure he's even reached his anniversary date), Warde Manual has done a fine job. Transition from Calhoun to Kevin Ollie - solid. WBB - good. Pasqualoni & DeLeone? Reasonably solid tactics. Hockey East - good so far.

What was he supposed to do conference-wise? Magic? People here pick at his public statements. I'd say he has been stiff in a tough spot. Football? I'd like to see some dramatic change - hope I see evidence this year.

Termination? Not even close. He's a magnitude better than Hathaway. Don't think he's a Rock Star.

Reaction Score
Blaming Warde for the conference realignment situation is ridiculous, everyone knows it's Randy Edsall's fault.

Reaction Score
Just crap. All you and some others here care about are conference realignment and PP/GDL. Manuel was thrown into the conference realignment fire without an extinguisher. Right now, make alliances, survive and end up on the right side of this long war. PP has brought in the best class in school history. Two 5-7 seasons is not acceptable but I'd give the guy another year with his own players. GDL is a valuable football man who deserved to go down a peg.

How about the nice scheduling we're getting in football and basketball lately? Smart enough to recognize Ollie's ability. Finishing up the Geno contract. Hockey in Hockey East. Baseball on a high and trending upwards.

You want what you want and you want it now. I get it. But Warde is working.

Reaction Score
Just crap. All you and some others here care about are conference realignment and PP/GDL. Manuel was thrown into the conference realignment fire without an extinguisher. Right now, make alliances, survive and end up on the right side of this long war. PP has brought in the best class in school history. Two 5-7 seasons is not acceptable but I'd give the guy another year with his own players. GDL is a valuable football man who deserved to go down a peg.

How about the nice scheduling we're getting in football and basketball lately? Smart enough to recognize Ollie's ability. Finishing up the Geno contract. Hockey in Hockey East. Baseball on a high and trending upwards.

You want what you want and you want it now. I get it. But Warde is working.

His own players? You expecting a lot of freshman or red shirt freshman to play? Otherwise other than couple of JC/transfer guys these are mostly fhcRE guys. GDL is valuable @ $270m you can get as an OL coach? I'd have to say that anyone with a double digit IQ would recognize Ollie's ability (Freescooter aside). Yeah, he sure did a great negotiating job paying a girl's basketball coach $2 mill a year and sure he is instrumental in the baseball teams upward trend.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I was down on WM for awhile, but this is odd timing and I think we need to give the man his due.

Let's just think about what we are hearing in the past few weeks: 1) extra seats for Michigan; 2) BYU series with a game in E.Hart in 2014; 3) Boise State series with a game in E. Hart in 2014; 4) a complete athletic re-branding in three weeks that we have been desperately needing; 5) we now have three solid bball games next year in NYC (1 @ Barclays, 2 @ MSG); 6) Geno just signed for another 5 years with his team poised for FF #6 in a row; 7) Jimmy Calhoun just signed on for 4 years; 8) Uconn hockey is one more season away from competing in Hockey East.

Not sure I could have done much better, and everything above will help us stay in the public eye and increase our CR value.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
OP is clearly trolling or addicted to meth.

This should be a lesson to all the young kids out there who are considering trying crystal meth. You'll lose all of your teeth and you'll post oddly-timed and annoying threads on the Boneyard. Listen to Nancy Reagan, kids, and "just say no"...

Reaction Score
Have you seen those games in NYC, like 7k corporate uninterested fans? The ACC tourney could thrive there and maybe if they match up UNC-UK or UK-Duke.

Manuel is a bad hire. He's learning on the job and is blindsided, reactionary to all of it. He was here when Pitt-Cuse went down and was ill prepared for the next move(s). Supposedly his alliances would help and they did nothing.

scheduling BYU-Boise is nothing. He screwed up the original Ollie deal and acted like it made sense later. You give him credit for giving a long time coach an extension at a huge increase? How much $$ does NCAA hockey generate?

Given the changing landscape of college athletics why hire this guy? He's a failure, but much of that is he was hired for a position he wasn't capable of in a tumultuous time.

I was down on WM for awhile, but this is odd timing and I think we need to give the man his due.

Let's just think about what we are hearing in the past few weeks: 1) extra seats for Michigan; 2) BYU series with a game in E.Hart in 2014; 3) Boise State series with a game in E. Hart in 2014; 4) a complete athletic re-branding in three weeks that we have been desperately needing; 5) we now have three solid bball games next year in NYC (1 @ Barclays, 2 @ MSG); 6) Geno just signed for another 5 years with his team poised for FF #6 in a row; 7) Jimmy Calhoun just signed on for 4 years; 8) Uconn hockey is one more season away from competing in Hockey East.

Not sure I could have done much better, and everything above will help us stay in the public eye and increase our CR value.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Have you seen those games in NYC, like 7k corporate uninterested fans? The ACC tourney could thrive there and maybe if they match up UNC-UK or UK-Duke.

Yes, I have been to some of those games and they are not quite what you make them out to be - have you ever been?? I will not respond to your comments on the ACC because, well, what are you talking about? Should Warde be setting up an ACC Tournament in NYC?

Manuel is a bad hire. He's learning on the job and is blindsided, reactionary to all of it. He was here when Pitt-Cuse went down and was ill prepared for the next move(s). Supposedly his alliances would help and they did nothing.

Um, he was not here when Pitt and Cuse left. Pitt and Cuse announced they were leaving in 2011, WM was hired in Feb. 2012. But don't let that stop your hate.

scheduling BYU-Boise is nothing. He screwed up the original Ollie deal and acted like it made sense later. You give him credit for giving a long time coach an extension at a huge increase? How much does NCAA hockey generate?

Well, by definition it is something since it represents an event that will be happening in the future. And it is a good something because UConn is on the benefit end next year, with its obligations going out to 2018 (which we can break).

How do you define "screwing up?" Do I love the way he handled it, no? Did we get the coach we wanted, have a great season, and have better hopes for the future? Yup.

Yes, I give him credit for keeping a coach on who can go anywhere in the country at a time when our conference has imploded around us. Would you blame him if he lost Geno?

Jesus, you are a downer. I don't know how much it earns, but I know it is a sport played by some of the top universities, and one that is particularly attractive to a league we are trying to join (remember when you said he should be positioning us for CR?

Let me know if you have anymore critiques you want me to cripple, otherwise I am going go out for the night.

Given the changing landscape of college athletics why hire this guy? He's a failure, but much of that is he was hired for a position he wasn't capable of in a tumultuous time.

scheduling BYU-Boise is nothing. He screwed up the original Ollie deal and acted like it made sense later. You give him credit for giving a long time coach an extension at a huge increase? How much does NCAA hockey generate?

Reaction Score
Too soon to judge. If UConn is still considered a mid major playing Tulsa, ECU and Memphis two years from now, that Incomplete goes to an F awfully fast.

Same thing for PP and his sidekick, GDL. If UConn goes 5-7, and PP is still here by December 1st, that Incomplete goes the same way as above.

With respect to Ollie, that was a Calhoun hire, ratified after a perfectly understandable ego/powertrip fight. Bottom line, Ollie is here.

Auriemma, no credit. What exactly was Manuel supposed to do differently? A potted plant would have made sure Auriemma was signed.

BYU and Boise are two of the easiest teams to schedule. Don't fool yourself.

But he inherited this up from Hathaway, compounded by realignment uncertainity, so...

Boise an A because UConn doesn't go to Boise for 5 years, plus when they do it's in September.

BYU a C because of the oct 31 return. No BCS team had agreed to that in the past few years, nor has any except UConn in the next five.

Hockey East was a gift from HE, and would have happened with or without manuel.

Being the athletic face of UConn he gets a D. In response to the "should the ACC pick UConn to replace Maryland" question was met with "Sure, but I'm biased". That in a nutshell has described Manuel's public advocacy of UConn. I can bore you with other statements and comments, but why bother...we all know he sucks in the bleed husky blue passion of someone like JC.

I won't even go to the vacay in the islands while UConn burned event. Opinions on both sides are hardened.

The bb facility, thank you Paul Pederga$t.

Bottom line, he's judged by realignment and his football coach, both up in the air. Everything else is just noise at this point.

Reaction Score
I think it's a Junior Achievement project with him. He's learning on the job. He's a bad hire and did the University no favors in the recent alignment mess.

I just don't want him here if say UVA moves to the B1G and someone Cincy gets the call. He seems ill prepared.

If you support the hire and him as an AD, I question your decision making ability and ability to evaluate a difficult situation.

Reaction Score
Pretty weird thread. Warde is a the Operational level of affairs. It's just too soon to assess his performance.

I will say that he does seem sedentary in some areas, and his choice of words seemed to support that, but like Wacky said, the timing of this thread is strange.

Reaction Score
Not only the dumbest thread of the month. Dumbest thread of the year. Maybe the dumbest thread ever.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Agreed. Can't believe Butch didn't start it.
I'm sure he'll jump in with his random two-sentence tangents. You know, Tulane won the men's tennis championship in 1959, that's a real positive for us!

Reaction Score
I think it's a Junior Achievement project with him. He's learning on the job. He's a bad hire and did the University no favors in the recent alignment mess.

I just don't want him here if say UVA moves to the B1G and someone Cincy gets the call. He seems ill prepared.

If you support the hire and him as an AD, I question your decision making ability and ability to evaluate a difficult situation.
Do you have any idea what you are talking about ? Were you in any of the meetings or phone calls with any schools regarding CR ? Do you have any contacts to back up your opinions ? Did any fans of Maryland or Rutgers know that they were going to the B1G months before it happened ? I feel your frustration but you are not being fair. What AD would you have hired that would have done anything different or better than WM ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom