OT: How do you old guys stay in competitive shape? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: How do you old guys stay in competitive shape?

Reaction Score
Again, just about everyone uses rollers. Kind of dumb not to, particularly for endurance athletes IMO. The movement seems to be towards post-exercise rolling now though.
Yeah I was doing both pre- and post-workout when it started becoming popular and I wanted to start loosening up what had become chronically tight. For me, once my flexibility improved using rolling and stretching, I could maintain my flexibility with just stretching. I only really roll now when I can tell something is tightening up and I need essentially a massage (which is basically what rolling is AFAIK)

Reaction Score
Yeah I was doing both pre- and post-workout when it started becoming popular and I wanted to start loosening up what had become chronically tight. For me, once my flexibility improved using rolling and stretching, I could maintain my flexibility with just stretching. I only really roll now when I can tell something is tightening up and I need essentially a massage (which is basically what rolling is AFAIK)

Good way to put it. I really recommend cupping too.

I'm younger, but I have an injury history. My back and shoulder will get so tight that I can't reach for a rebound or bend over to pick up the ball sometimes. Massages can make that stop when it gets bad for maybe 3 weeks. Cupping was more like 3 months the 2x I've had it done. Changed my life.

Don't let the marks scare ya'll off. It really doesn't hurt. Just like a big hickey or something

Reaction Score
Good way to put it. I really recommend cupping too.

I'm younger, but I have an injury history. My back and shoulder will get so tight that I can't reach for a rebound or bend over to pick up the ball sometimes. Massages can make that stop when it gets bad for maybe 3 weeks. Cupping was more like 3 months the 2x I've had it done. Changed my life.

Don't let the marks scare ya'll off. It really doesn't hurt. Just like a big hickey or something
The only thing that makes me apprehensive is what can happen if someone screws it up. I haven’t tried, but would have to make absolutely sure some given person is an expert

Reaction Score
The only thing that makes me apprehensive is what can happen if someone screws it up. I haven’t tried, but would have to make absolutely sure some given person is an expert

There are certifications that people can get.

And I don't really think it would be THAT big of a deal if someone messed up, honestly. It's hard to explain what it is exactly. It's kind of just like a reverse massage. The worst thing that's going to happen is some discomfort, or they miss the sport that is really the issue. I'd say it's significantly less risky than a chiropractor.

Reaction Score
There are certifications that people can get.

And I don't really think it would be THAT big of a deal if someone messed up, honestly. It's hard to explain what it is exactly. It's kind of just like a reverse massage. The worst thing that's going to happen is some discomfort, or they miss the sport that is really the issue.
I believe the sucking motion literally pulls individual muscle fibers apart, not only loosening them through that but encouraging increased blood flow to the area (hence the bruising)

I'd say it's significantly less risky than a chiropractor.
Lol quite the concession there!

Reaction Score
Swim at the Y close to work. Opens at 6, swim for an hour, shower and head to work. Walk whenever possible, take stairs. Workout with dumbbells down in the basement.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Really late here but for years I did little exercise and what I did was either “cardio” fast walk or elliptical and lifting on Nautilus or Cybex.

Recently I shifted gears. Bought a medicine ball and I’m using dumbbells and a bench plus battle ropes. Doing workouts from YouTube and they are kicking my butt. More importantly they are hitting the small stabilization muscles in my knees, shoulders and hips plus my core. My back feels better, my posture is better and I’m adding muscle while weight holds steady.

If I can manage my food and alcohol better I think pounds will drop and what is underneath will be better than it has been in years. But what really jumps out at me is that unlike my ineffective cardio/lifting these movements feel athletic. They involve ranges of motion and balance. I’m enjoying exercise really for the first time.

Reaction Score
I believe that's myofacial release? Not entirely sure. Normally I'd ask my significant other (strength coach in DPT school), but she's on the war path currently haha
You usually ask your significant other about myofacial release? That's cool.

Reaction Score
You usually ask your significant other about myofacial release? That's cool.

She's a fitness nerd. Yells at me all the time about my pizza consumption. Thanks 'yard.

Gives good massages though

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="So what's you're secret for limbering up to play competitive sports at at least a competent level once you're past 60? What should I be doing this off season to prepare for next year?[/QUOTE]

I am going to be 69 in 2 weeks and am still in pretty decent shape. During the winter I still ski black and some double black mogul runs albeit not as fast as I used to and would like to. I keep in shape by playing 1 to 2 hours of pretty competitive racquetball (B/C level) two to 3 evenings a week. I also lift weights regularly. The RB is great cardio training, especially in singles games. So, go join a club that has RB courts, get a racquet, a glove, and protective eye-wear, and start playing! You will be happy you did!

Reaction Score
I live for tomorrow.

Tomorrow I will start exercising.
Tomorrow I will eat better.
Tomorrow I will go for walks with my wife.
Tomorrow I will begin a weight loss regiment.

Today I live in hope.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="So what's you're secret for limbering up to play competitive sports at at least a competent level once you're past 60? What should I be doing this off season to prepare for next year?

I am going to be 69 in 2 weeks and am still in pretty decent shape. During the winter I still ski black and some double black mogul runs albeit not as fast as I used to and would like to. I keep in shape by playing 1 to 2 hours of pretty competitive racquetball (B/C level) two to 3 evenings a week. I also lift weights regularly. The RB is great cardio training, especially in singles games. So, go join a club that has RB courts, get a racquet, a glove, and protective eye-wear, and start playing! You will be happy you did!

Racquetball is awesome. So much fun, but with all the cutting and quick start/stops I’m amazed it’s an “old” persons game.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Nutrition and minimizing alcohol consumption are going to be just as big for staying in shape as your workouts, but I would definitely recommend resistance training (weights or bands) and I’m loving yoga for my flexibility and core.

Reaction Score
Racquetball is awesome. So much fun, but with all the cutting and quick start/stops I’m amazed it’s an “old” persons game.
Played golf yesterday with 2 pickle ball enthusiasts... 1 was 71, and other was 80. I never heard of it, but they say it’s a combination of ping pong and badminton. I have zero intention of learning any more about it. I’d be happy if I could walk 18 holes again.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Played golf yesterday with 2 pickle ball enthusiasts... 1 was 71, and other was 80. I never heard of it, but they say it’s a combination of ping pong and badminton. I have zero intention of learning any more about it. I’d be happy if I could walk 18 holes again.

I know a few people who play it and enjoy it. I was curious and actually found a pickleball tournament on some cable channel and watched for a bit. It seemed to me that it was all volley right back at the opponents and not much else. The court was small so no real oppty for drop shots or lobs over opponents head. Just volleys. And volleys. And more volleys. It looked incredibly dull. But probably good for old folks as doesn't seem there's much running about.

Anyway, platform tennis seemed much more fun.

Reaction Score
I know a few people who play it and enjoy it. I was curious and actually found a pickleball tournament on some cable channel and watched for a bit. It seemed to me that it was all volley right back at the opponents and not much else. The court was small so no real oppty for drop shots or lobs over opponents head. Just volleys. And volleys. And more volleys. It looked incredibly dull. But probably good for old folks as doesn't seem there's much running about.

Anyway, platform tennis seemed much more fun.
It seems like a bad remake of badminton and paddle tennis. It's like they found a way to combine ping pong, paddle, and badminton into something that's worse than all of them.

Reaction Score

Well pickle used to be fun as a young kid playing baseball and only having 3 kids around.......it was exercise for sure and would be more than I could bargain for now. I can walk 18 holes with a caddie who can handle a cooler and my already heavy bag LOL....I know the feeling 68 but also on me to change some of it.

Reaction Score
It seems like a bad remake of badminton and paddle tennis. It's like they found a way to combine ping pong, paddle, and badminton into something that's worse than all of them.
I played it on the Vineyard this summer, there was a nice group of older folks that were very welcoming to younger couples and even my 21yr old nephew. It is definitely more a social game and of course the older you get there is less movement. But I was able to run down balls and the quick reflexes at the net was fun. It is more a social game and I'd agree with the naysayers it takes a deep backseat to tennis, racquetball, squash, paddle-tennis, but more fun than Ping-Pong - maybe closest more familiar sport to people is badminton (I'd rate slightly above pickle ball).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I played a lot of racquetball as a teenager back in the 80's. But the courts are all gone now. I don't even know where they have them anymore. It was great exercise, better than anything I've done other than beach volleyball. I wold worry about my knee holding up.

Starting a very restricted diet today, for the next 3 weeks. Might resume it after my short trip to New Orleans.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I always thought squash was the old guy's version or racquetball. Longer rackets, so less reaching. But I've always been intrigued that more players don't get whacked in the head by squash racquets.

Reaction Score
I always thought squash was the old guy's version or racquetball. Longer rackets, so less reaching. But I've always been intrigued that more players don't get whacked in the head by squash racquets.
Maybe less 'running', but squash has equal amounts of quickness necessary and is much more shot-making and strategic. No differential in the workout between the two I'd say. I liked squash better when I played briefly (a couple summers filled-in for away-at-Cape summer memberships) but I've only dabbled in both. Squash has clearly over-taken racquetball so I'm sure there are squash players that can better articulate why than I can. Both sports in their heyday are/were plenty popular in working 25-55+ set so I don't think there is any clear age differential in either the sports themselves or who plays them.

Reaction Score
I recently took a friend to the park with a Frisbie….he said, this is going to be nothing. 1/2 hour later, he said I have had enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom