OT: How do you old guys stay in competitive shape? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: How do you old guys stay in competitive shape?

Reaction Score
You day you coach basketball

Why, before every college/professional sports game, do we see players using bands and receiving help from trainers, doing static stretches? What’s your dynamic stretch to loosen someone’s internal rotators? Both static and dynamic are useful and important pre-game.

Yes, the trainers stretch my players during and before games.

1) Those guys are full-time athletes, not 60+ year old men. They have more wiggle room. They are also extremely flexible and mobile to start. The slightly increased likelihood of injury after a static stretch is less important to them because they are unlikely to meet their flexibiltiy threshholds during a normal game.

2) They are trained professionals we are not. Generally when you see players stretching before games or at half-time, they are targetting specific injury concerns. For example, we are likely to see someone working with 'Rique's shoulder before games this upcoming season.

3) They are often not doing true static stretching (ie. Hold a pose for 15-30 seconds and move on). They are doing ballistic stretching, AIS stretching, and other types of stretching which are technically "static" but more dynamic in nature.

This is the answer I got from my PT friend I happen to be texting about rehab plans for my kids.

Reaction Score
Carbon 60 helps- buy the brand C-60 in sunflower oil.
I also use arnica Montana for joints tendons= really helps repair damage faster- been using it since my martial arts days- works great!

Reaction Score
I'm 7o, and after heart and hip replacement ops, still ski and climb maountains. I walk and lift weights using lots of reps vs increasing weight (not talking about Arnold here). Watch what you eat and drink. Starches metabololize to sugars so easy on bread /pasta / etc. Alchohol doesn't, but does make you feel crappier as you age - then again perhaps my level of ACE (alcohol converting enzyme) is shot. Stick with the protein - the body doesn't make much of that.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Rocktheworld gave you the best advice. Get a prescription for testosterone. For $150/month you can shave off 15-20 years. I’m a big believer in hormone replacement as a way to age energetically and slowly. Testosterone should be standard fare along with baby aspirin for men over 50. I will be going for it when my time comes.

I have a friend that is 45 and got low T a bit early. Good looking guy, did mini triathlons regularly, very active. He hurt his back and had a few other muscle pulls etc that really slowed him down..... along with low libido. He gained about 30 lbs and felt like dying. He got testosterone replacement and it’s like he’s 30 again. He feels great and wakes up everyday ready to go. I haven’t tried it because I just don’t need it yet and once you start, there is the risk you won’t be able to stop because your body won’t make T anymore. I have every intention of starting sometime down the road. Don’t give in to the mainstream medicine bs. Enjoy your life and get it.

Yeah... no.

Reaction Score
60's you say? This nun is almost 90 and still out there among the youngin's doing it better than them! She's annoyed at technology, so maybe the secret lies in staying away from the Boneyard, for your mental stability?

The Iron Nun still going strong at age 88

In all seriousness, swimming is definitely one way to go. Very good with cardio/strength to multiple muscle groups without the pounding the body takes while running. But don't just go to the pool and swim aimlessly for an hour, latch onto a master's swimming class or something that has structure to it (also adds competitiveness to it). Add in a your cycling and maybe a small bit of running and you could sign up for a short triathlon - that will definitely keep your competitive spirit up.

Reaction Score
An exercise routine that mixes it up is key, if you live in NEast you can seasonally adjust, bike & swim more in summer, hike in fall, classes at a gym thru winter.
Once over 45, need to watch what you eat & drink a bit more, but if you exercise enough you can still enjoy plenty while feeling good. For me competitive sports are fun with added benefit that I get worse if I'm at all out of shape or not pushing it exercise wise. So this fuels the running or biking or classes at the gym.
Softball I've gone in and out of, currently out. Definitely the easiest thing to get injured at with going from 0 to 60 a few times a game out of nowhere. There is simply no way to warmup and like anything playing regularly is even more necessary the older you get to stay sharp.
Yoga is key as you age. It is a super accepting group/class once inside (seems intimidating if watch, but every instructor is the opposite) and it reaps general life and sports benefits. I don't do it enough but when I have it always helps. Less bang for your exercise time calorie burn, aerobic conditioning & strength-wise - but again older you get the more necessary as a foundation to be able to keep doing fun sports & stay uninjured.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Walk on a good treadmill to burn at least 300 calories per session, then follow with 30 minutes in weight machines 3 or 4 times a week. Planet Fitness is $10 a month? I mean $120 a year rain, snow sleet. No need for biking, mountain climbing, running, football, basketball or injuries, no missing workouts. Eventually incline the running machine to make it more challenging which can get someone in phenomenal shape but the doc should approve what you do.

Dang. I pay $32/month to my town rec center and that's the discounted senior rate, lol.

Anyway, I like bike riding outside. We have a great trail system here - nice scenery and it doesn't smell like a gym, lol.

I should add I still have three NH 4K footers to finish (the Bonds & Bondcliff) to complete all 48. Those are on the to-do list once I'm comfortable being able to pack in again.

Reaction Score
Yes, the trainers stretch my players during and before games.

1) Those guys are full-time athletes, not 60+ year old men. They have more wiggle room. They are also extremely flexible and mobile to start. The slightly increased likelihood of injury after a static stretch is less important to them because they are unlikely to meet their flexibiltiy threshholds during a normal game.
What is it about old men muscles that makes them less flexible? I would think it’s mostly from a lifetime of overlearned poor motor programs that lead to chronic tightnesses. So that’s why I figure a 20 year old kid can be more flexible. But if you have a better answer, I’m all ears

2) They are trained professionals we are not. Generally when you see players stretching before games or at half-time, they are targetting specific injury concerns. For example, we are likely to see someone working with 'Rique's shoulder before games this upcoming season.

3) They are often not doing true static stretching (ie. Hold a pose for 15-30 seconds and move on). They are doing ballistic stretching, AIS stretching, and other types of stretching which are technically "static" but more dynamic in nature.
This kind of applies to both of these. I just see, especially in football practices for example (just saw this at an Alabama practice on ESPN), all the linemen grouped together doing the same sequence of held stretches with the band. I would think this pre-stretching is preventive, and individual stretches may address a specific tightness or injury. Anecdotally, when I played football as a kid, everyone got in to one big group and we all did the same toe touch, butterfly, etc stretches. But maybe that’s antiquated these days.

This is the answer I got from my PT friend I happen to be texting about rehab plans for my kids.
Appreciate the informed response. Note that obviously my post was a bit of a challenge, but not a hostile one at all.

Reaction Score
What is it about old men muscles that makes them less flexible? I would think it’s mostly from a lifetime of overlearned poor motor programs that lead to chronic tightnesses. So that’s why I figure a 20 year old kid can be more flexible. But if you have a better answer, I’m all ears

This kind of applies to both of these. I just see, especially in football practices for example (just saw this at an Alabama practice on ESPN), all the linemen grouped together doing the same sequence of held stretches with the band. I would think this pre-stretching is preventive, and individual stretches may address a specific tightness or injury. Anecdotally, when I played football as a kid, everyone got in to one big group and we all did the same toe touch, butterfly, etc stretches. But maybe that’s antiquated these days.

Appreciate the informed response. Note that obviously my post was a bit of a challenge, but not a hostile one at all.

All good. I try to be as critical of my practice as pissible.

I do think static stretching has gotten a bad rep over the years for no reason.

Reaction Score
All good. I try to be as critical of my practice as pissible.

I do think static stretching has gotten a bad rep over the years for no reason.
Many trainers advocate using foam rollers or other deep tissue pressure pre-exercise to get everything loosened up and flowing. Enhances performance/benefits of exercise and reduces injury risk.
And for me there's no question if you have an injury or chronic injured area stretching helps.

Reaction Score
You need to train for the specific demands of the sport. Many of the suggestions on here are very general and considering you are coming off a long layoff from athletic activities, general training (the swimming, biking, weights, etc.) will still be beneficial and should be incorporated into your training. However, if you exclusively do these activities, you won't necessarily prepare yourself to play softball without getting injured.

I recommend looking at the exact movements required in softball and devise a plan that incorpates all of those movements. For instance if you know you will have 5 at bats each game, prepare yourself to swing the bat and then run, just like you do in a game. Maybe right now it's at 50% effort but you slowly increase it over a period of months until you're at a level you feel comfortable with (maybe it's 80% effort because anything above is out of the question based on your age).

Apply the same principles to all other movements you do during a game (fielding, throwing) and slowly develop them throughout the year. Start with a number of throws you are comfortable with and slowly increase the number. There will be weeks when you need to back off and take fewer throws/swings or run less, but remember you may be 6-8 months from your first game. That's a lot of time to develop the movements.

Recovery is important. Think of how often you play games. Give yourself enough time, especially in the off season, for your body to start adapting to the demands you place on it. You may only need to run once per week. A few other days each week spend doing the general fitness activities (walking, swimming, biking) that don't exacerbate any sore/injured areas.

Use this time to also develop a warm up routine incorporating movements that will get you prepared to be moving as you will be required in games. This is very important. Research the movements. You may need to take 20-30 minutes to prepare your body but it will be worth it. Like everything else, you can increase the length of the warm up as your body gets in better condition. You don't want to rush through it, it's not the workout but a warm up to prepare you. It will start with general movements and proceed to more specific (specific to what you'll be doing on the softball field) as it nears completion. Your movements at the end of the warm up should be indistinguishable from the movement required during a game.

Reaction Score
Rocktheworld gave you the best advice. Get a prescription for testosterone. For $150/month you can shave off 15-20 years. I’m a big believer in hormone replacement as a way to age energetically and slowly. Testosterone should be standard fare along with baby aspirin for men over 50. I will be going for it when my time comes.

I have a friend that is 45 and got low T a bit early. Good looking guy, did mini triathlons regularly, very active. He hurt his back and had a few other muscle pulls etc that really slowed him down..... along with low libido. He gained about 30 lbs and felt like dying. He got testosterone replacement and it’s like he’s 30 again. He feels great and wakes up everyday ready to go. I haven’t tried it because I just don’t need it yet and once you start, there is the risk you won’t be able to stop because your body won’t make T anymore. I have every intention of starting sometime down the road. Don’t give in to the mainstream medicine bs. Enjoy your life and get it.
It might work in your 40s, but it doesn’t help much in late 50s-early 60s.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You need to train for the specific demands of the sport. Many of the suggestions on here are very general and considering you are coming off a long layoff from athletic activities, general training (the swimming, biking, weights, etc.) will still be beneficial and should be incorporated into your training. However, if you exclusively do these activities, you won't necessarily prepare yourself to play softball without getting injured.

I recommend looking at the exact movements required in softball and devise a plan that incorpates all of those movements. For instance if you know you will have 5 at bats each game, prepare yourself to swing the bat and then run, just like you do in a game. Maybe right now it's at 50% effort but you slowly increase it over a period of months until you're at a level you feel comfortable with (maybe it's 80% effort because anything above is out of the question based on your age).

Apply the same principles to all other movements you do during a game (fielding, throwing) and slowly develop them throughout the year. Start with a number of throws you are comfortable with and slowly increase the number. There will be weeks when you need to back off and take fewer throws/swings or run less, but remember you may be 6-8 months from your first game. That's a lot of time to develop the movements.

Recovery is important. Think of how often you play games. Give yourself enough time, especially in the off season, for your body to start adapting to the demands you place on it. You may only need to run once per week. A few other days each week spend doing the general fitness activities (walking, swimming, biking) that don't exacerbate any sore/injured areas.

Use this time to also develop a warm up routine incorporating movements that will get you prepared to be moving as you will be required in games. This is very important. Research the movements. You may need to take 20-30 minutes to prepare your body but it will be worth it. Like everything else, you can increase the length of the warm up as your body gets in better condition. You don't want to rush through it, it's not the workout but a warm up to prepare you. It will start with general movements and proceed to more specific (specific to what you'll be doing on the softball field) as it nears completion. Your movements at the end of the warm up should be indistinguishable from the movement required during a game.

Thanks for taking the time to post all that!

Oddly enough, this is fairly close to what I'm doing. In addition to back/core maintenance work I have specific exercises from my PT for keeping hips and groins loose so I can explode through the swing as well as throwing exercises with a band. I'm already back to hitting fine, so once I can throw well again, all that's left is working on speed... which I never had, lol.

Reaction Score
Great points and recommendations. That's exactly why I quit playing softball, after 5-ish years I wasn't motivated or interested enough to do the necessary work to get my game back up to where it once was. I think for a certain generation baseball/softball is the first or main sport we played, so moreso than other sports we assume we can get out of bed and re-start where we left off.

That & I didn't like the bang for your buck time v exercise benefits compared to other sports. Softball is more like golf, the camaraderie has to be a big part. Tying all in since I've only played golf casually I more easily recognize that if I want to play competitively I'd need to commit to dedicated training & instruction.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Great points and recommendations. That's exactly why I quit playing softball, after 5-ish years I wasn't motivated or interested enough to do the necessary work to get my game back up to where it once was. I think for a certain generation baseball/softball is the first or main sport we played, so moreso than other sports we assume we can get out of bed and re-start where we left off.

That & I didn't like the bang for your buck time v exercise benefits compared to other sports. Softball is more like golf, the camaraderie has to be a big part. Tying all in since I've only played golf casually I more easily recognize that if I want to play competitively I'd need to commit to dedicated training & instruction.

Yeah, it's camaraderie first, winning second for me - if these guys were all just old jocks trying to relive their 20s, it would be awful. Thankfully they're not - good mix of white/blue collar/retired and nobody orders light beer when we go out afterwards.

Reaction Score
Many trainers advocate using foam rollers or other deep tissue pressure pre-exercise to get everything loosened up and flowing. Enhances performance/benefits of exercise and reduces injury risk.
And for me there's no question if you have an injury or chronic injured area stretching helps.

Again, just about everyone uses rollers. Kind of dumb not to, particularly for endurance athletes IMO. The movement seems to be towards post-exercise rolling now though.

But rolling is not a static stretch. That is the topic.

Reaction Score
2 years ago, I was walking/running 7 miles a day, had quit smoking 2 1/2 years, used Bowflex Treadclimber 30 minutes 3 days a week, Push ups, competitive hoops(schoolyard) lost around 50 pounds...........oh well that was 2 years ago. Now I wish I still cared.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Again, just about everyone uses rollers. Kind of dumb not to, particularly for endurance athletes IMO. The movement seems to be towards post-exercise rolling now though.

But rolling is not a static stretch. That is the topic.
I thought the topic was how do you keep old bodies functioning ;)
Then subtopics are what each person does
An example within the subtopic is in addition to exercise what is recommended for flexibility
A digression exploring the example of the subtopic is static vs ballistic vs AIS vs myofacial release etc...

So on the digression, when I take the roller or ball and just 'sit' on the problem area in my calf is that a static stretch or myofacial release or both!?

Reaction Score
I thought the topic was how do you keep old bodies functioning ;)
Then subtopics are what each person does
An example within the subtopic is in addition to exercise what is recommended for flexibility
A digression exploring the example of the subtopic is static vs ballistic vs AIS vs myofacial release etc...

So on the digression, when I take the roller or ball and just 'sit' on the problem area in my calf is that a static stretch or myofacial release or both!?

I believe that's myofacial release? Not entirely sure. Normally I'd ask my significant other (strength coach in DPT school), but she's on the war path currently haha

Reaction Score
I run (with my dog) 2 to 3 miles (including hills) 3 or so days a week and, due to knees suffering from too many years of soccer, hit my indoor rower for about 3,000 meters a few more days a week. Keeping-up with my very attractive wife (yes, I am biased) and my pre-teens and their sport teams is my motivation. For me, the problem has been work. I was pushing 10 to 12 hour days regularly for six or so months at work and scarified exercise to spend an extra hour with my family and to get in 6 hours of sleep. and quickly picked-up 25 lbs of garbage. I to drop that before Christmas.

Reaction Score
I run (with my dog) 2 to 3 miles (including hills) 3 or so days a week and, due to knees suffering from too many years of soccer, hit my indoor rower for about 3,000 meters a few more days a week. Keeping-up with my very attractive wife (yes, I am biased) and my pre-teens and their sport teams is my motivation. For me, the problem has been work. I was pushing 10 to 12 hour days regularly for six or so months at work and scarified exercise to spend an extra hour with my family and to get in 6 hours of sleep. and quickly picked-up 25 lbs of garbage. I to drop that before Christmas.
Good luck, my 2 cents you didn't ask for is measure yourself regularly, maybe do one of those high-tech body composition assessments & that'll provide further motivation. I got one in April and it was a kick-start.

Reaction Score
I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 ( My third Garmin )because I walk about 12,000 steps a day
I’m retired and our community has a indoor walking track on these hot Arizona summer days. I refuse to get up at 5AM .
The Garmin Connect App allows me to compete with people all over the world in weekly challenges. I’m a competitive guy.
It also monitors and reacts sleep, heart rate, stress levels, and other functions.
This week Im in a 95,000 step one . I walk over 4,000,000 steps a year. About 2,000 miles. I joke I put 2,000 miles a year on my car, my golf cart ,and my sneakers.
I choose Garmin over Fitbit or even Apple because it’s waterproof . I can sleep and jump in the shower without fear of frying it ,or even swim. It also records laps
They have made tremendous improvements to their Connect applications over the years .
It also links to the Weight Watcher application and others . I’m a lifetime WW member who has been at goal for 5 years. Exercise converts to Points which allow to to increase your daily allotment.
I also do moderate weight training
I love the elliptical but hate the treadmill.
I’m 75 years old

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 ( My third Garmin )because I walk about 12,000 steps a day
I’m retired and our community has a indoor walking track on these hot Arizona summer days. I refuse to get up at 5AM .
The Garmin Connect App allows me to compete with people all over the world in weekly challenges. I’m a competitive guy.
It also monitors and reacts sleep, heart rate, stress levels, and other functions.
This week Im in a 95,000 step one . I walk over 4,000,000 steps a year. About 2,000 miles. I joke I put 2,000 miles a year on my car, my golf cart ,and my sneakers.
I choose Garmin over Fitbit or even Apple because it’s waterproof . I can sleep and jump in the shower without fear of frying it ,or even swim. It also records laps
They have made tremendous improvements to their Connect applications over the years .
It also links to the Weight Watcher application and others . I’m a lifetime WW member who has been at goal for 5 years. Exercise converts to Points which allow to to increase your daily allotment.
I also do moderate weight training
I love the elliptical but hate the treadmill.
I’m 75 years old

But can you play shortstop?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom