OT: How do you old guys stay in competitive shape? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: How do you old guys stay in competitive shape?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Pepe's/Sally's/Modern

I'm eating Modern at the East Rock Park summit & watching the sunset.

I mentioned in another post recently that each move in a soccer game last Thursday against twin 7-year old boys seemed like an injury risk. Nevertheless, I beat them & suffered no more than minor soreness.

I'm looking forward to fall baseball. Theirs, not mine.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
People over the age of 60 aren't supposed to be in competitive shape.

It's relative. Competitive shape vs other 60 year olds (league membership runs from 55-87). And they do volleyball too on wood floors, not sand.

There you go Storrs, heave-ho to the ‘ole wifey, grab a new one and make some babies!

I give him a lot of credit, but I was once married to someone a mere 9 years younger than me and she didn't get most of my cultural references. So we barely talked about anything meaningful and just had a lot of sex. So we did that and we did both like Prince, but ultimately that just wasn't enough, y'know?

Go to doc, your test will necessarily be “low”, get a script

I get the feeling I'm the kind where my muscles may benefit from added T, but I'd likely kill everyone in sight on a bad day :)

Reaction Score
I'm eating Modern at the East Rock Park summit & watching the sunset .
I love Modern Apizza and their sausage pie might be my favorite pie on the planet but it strikes me as a pizza that doesn't travel well.

You're still eating Modern's on top of a cliff watching the sunset so you're winning.

Reaction Score
I get the feeling I'm the kind where my muscles may benefit from added T, but I'd likely kill everyone in sight on a bad day :)
Not just for building muscle and losing fat; but also the explosive nature of your muscles themselves. You know how they’re starting to say that football players, so concerned about head injuries, aren’t going in to hits as rigid and hard anymore, and they can end up getting injured because of that? Well I have a feeling a similar thing can happen with your muscles; getting back to younger levels of test will keep your muscles better “primed” for sudden activity, like shooting out of the batter’s box.

I’ve heard it’s good for connective tissue as well; half the reason bodybuilders can lift so much weight, and with such volume, without destroying their joints

Doubt you’ll be prescribed anything that’ll make you too aggressive

Reaction Score
I used to be decent to good at numerous sports back in CT. Moved to a new city, started a business, got fat and didn't "compete" in anything that involved a ball or teams for almost 20 years, with the exception of an evening 9-hole golf league for couple of years.

At 62 I finally dropped some pounds this year, got to biking regularly and found an over-55 softball league so I'd have something where I could release pent up competitive juices.

Slowpitch is a sport I used to rule. I was told that "newbies" who hadn't played in a decade or two typically got injured right away and it was mostly hammies. I figured my hammies would be OK from the biking, but I made sure they were stretched out well before playing my first game.

Hammies were fine. Between fielding errant throws and trying to accelerate out of the batter's box I did pull both groins and twisted a knee first game. Took the next one off, wrapped up my legs like Mickey Mantle for the one after that, then pulled a quad and a calf. All the while I went a whopping 2-for-16 as I was hitting flatfooted and required a runner.

I went out an purchased an impressive collection of compression sleeves for various body parts. I healed with the help of some PT, came back, hit .700 in final three games while running for myself but now have a stress fracture in my outer ankle which I believe is from running bases.

Based on the amount and types of yardwork I do, I was not expecting a complete physical breakdown from frigging slowpitch softball. But damn. Every throw feels like I'm ripping years of scar tissue. God forbid I decide to dive for a ball... who knows what will break?

I've received from other players advice ranging from, "I do tai chi every morning" to "The secret is to never stretch a damned thing!" when asking about how they keep their atrophied muscles and arthritic joints limber and their brittle bones from breaking.

So what's you're secret for limbering up to play competitive sports at at least a competent level once you're past 60? What should I be doing this offseason to prepare for next year?
I am 64 playing with young 55 year olds. Never really stopped. Keep playing. You use it or lose it so to say. Maybe next year I will see you here: Senior Softball-USA

If you are a good player try to find a team called Pittsburgh North...very good senior team. Pitt is from your avatar so I assume that's your local.

Reaction Score
Not just for building muscle and losing fat; but also the explosive nature of your muscles themselves. You know how they’re starting to say that football players, so concerned about head injuries, aren’t going in to hits as rigid and hard anymore, and they can end up getting injured because of that? Well I have a feeling a similar thing can happen with your muscles; getting back to younger levels of test will keep your muscles better “primed” for sudden activity, like shooting out of the batter’s box.

I’ve heard it’s good for connective tissue as well; half the reason bodybuilders can lift so much weight, and with such volume, without destroying their joints

Doubt you’ll be prescribed anything that’ll make you too aggressive
Don't think we want Storrsroars taking large amounts of test and roids.

Reaction Score
I don't think posting this question on a board where the most popular thread centers around food, beer and rock and roll screams is a good idea.

And that goes for the younger generation too where it only takes a swipe on Tinder and a few texts to get a date.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I am 64 playing with young 55 year olds. Never really stopped. Keep playing. You use it or lose it so to say. Maybe next year I will see you here: Senior Softball-USA

If you are a good player try to find a team called Pittsburgh North...very good senior team. Pitt is from your avatar so I assume that's your local.

I'm in South Hills so that's my league. Would take an hour or more during rush hour to get to most of the North Hills fields.

I don't need to play super competitive - I actually joined more for the social aspect, although I do like to win. This league is pretty cool, some good talent, some bad, no politics, just about everyone is a good sport unlike some of the guys I remember back when I was playing in highly competitive leagues.

Did you actually play in the a senior WS?

Reaction Score
I'm 72. I ponder my mortality daily. Well, more like nightly.
I hit the gym probably 28~29 days a month, mostly for cardio and peripheral vascular benefits. Bike, treadmill, rowing.
The last time I attempted to play HORSE, I hurt my left knee so badly it was swollen for 3 days. that was HORSE mind you, not actual basketball.
SIGH.
The last time I shot around I couldn't even make a layup consistently. I'm also 72 and have given up on exercise. I only play golf now out of a cart. Stayed in shape through college because I had to because of sports but now screw it. I do get some exercise walking from the parking lot to the doctor's office but that is about it. We are going to buy the farm soon enough without torturing yourself. Just give me another beer and a piece of chocolate cake.

Reaction Score
Don't think we want Storrsroars taking large amounts of test and roids.
Well nobody said anything about taking “roids” or “large amounts” of anything so rest assured

Reaction Score
Well nobody said anything about taking “roids” or “large amounts” of anything so rest assured
Well since you brought up bodybuilders who are all on a test base and cycle roids on top of it, thought I would chime in.

TRT seems to have a lot of benefits but also seems like a pain in the butt.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I love Modern Apizza and their sausage pie might be my favorite pie on the planet but it strikes me as a pizza that doesn't travel well.

You're still eating Modern's on top of a cliff watching the sunset so you're winning.
Of the top contenders, Modern, Olde World, Ernie’s, (I'm thinking maybe Zupardi's too but haven't had in a few years) seem to travel the best for eating outside at a picnic, concert etc. They shift to being more like breads, and hold up to toppings while retaining some good crust crunch.

PS - Fwiw, afterward I went and saw The Jellyshirts, and their drummer definitely had my body moving.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm in South Hills so that's my league. Would take an hour or more during rush hour to get to most of the North Hills fields.

I don't need to play super competitive - I actually joined more for the social aspect, although I do like to win. This league is pretty cool, some good talent, some bad, no politics, just about everyone is a good sport unlike some of the guys I remember back when I was playing in highly competitive leagues.

Did you actually play in the a senior WS?
YES...every year. Going in 3 weeks.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
YES...every year. Going in 3 weeks.

What team/league are you with?

I assume the WS is more like LL or Babe Ruth than college in that it's all-star teams from leagues as opposed to just league champions?

Reaction Score
Walk on a good treadmill to burn at least 300 calories per session, then follow with 30 minutes in weight machines 3 or 4 times a week. Planet Fitness is $10 a month? I mean $120 a year rain, snow sleet. No need for biking, mountain climbing, running, football, basketball or injuries, no missing workouts. Eventually incline the running machine to make it more challenging which can get someone in phenomenal shape but the doc should approve what you do.

Reaction Score
What team/league are you with?

I assume the WS is more like LL or Babe Ruth than college in that it's all-star teams from leagues as opposed to just league champions?
Not an allstar teams per se. Players that get together to form tournament teams. My team is Diamond Elite 55 AAA out of VA in that SSUSA World Series list..

In league play we play Fairfax Adult Softball, seniors Division 1. Fairfax Adult Softball
Tournament team has players from 2-3 FAS teams plus some from neighboring Prince William County Senior Softball and Loudoun County Men's Softball.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
A and that’s the day p x
Not an allstar teams per se. Players that get together to form tournament teams. My team is Diamond Elite 55 AAA out of VA in that SSUSA World Series list..

In league play we play Fairfax Adult Softball, seniors Division 1. Fairfax Adult Softball
Tournament team has players from 2-3 FAS teams plus some from neighboring Prince William County Senior Softball and Loudoun County Men's Softball.

youve popped out to second base 14 times just since this thread started.

Reaction Score
Stretch after not before games. Do a dynamic warm-up instead. Not the reason youre getting ALL those injuries, but it may contribute.

Some people are just genetically more sturdy, even if you were once quite fit. Take it easy and have fun. It's softball.
You day you coach basketball

Why, before every college/professional sports game, do we see players using bands and receiving help from trainers, doing static stretches? What’s your dynamic stretch to loosen someone’s internal rotators? Both static and dynamic are useful and important pre-game.

Reaction Score
Rocktheworld gave you the best advice. Get a prescription for testosterone. For $150/month you can shave off 15-20 years. I’m a big believer in hormone replacement as a way to age energetically and slowly. Testosterone should be standard fare along with baby aspirin for men over 50. I will be going for it when my time comes.

I have a friend that is 45 and got low T a bit early. Good looking guy, did mini triathlons regularly, very active. He hurt his back and had a few other muscle pulls etc that really slowed him down..... along with low libido. He gained about 30 lbs and felt like dying. He got testosterone replacement and it’s like he’s 30 again. He feels great and wakes up everyday ready to go. I haven’t tried it because I just don’t need it yet and once you start, there is the risk you won’t be able to stop because your body won’t make T anymore. I have every intention of starting sometime down the road. Don’t give in to the mainstream medicine bs. Enjoy your life and get it.

Reaction Score
A and that’s the day p x

youve popped out to second base 14 times just since this thread started.
I am practicing for that game where you are playing second base. Will have a 1.000 OBA in that game.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
Power yoga. Will strengthen your core and increase your flexibility. 2 or 3 times per week. It will also humble you. It’s brutal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom