OT: Great Restaurant Dishes Throughout CT | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Great Restaurant Dishes Throughout CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Another gem: Chicken Scarpariello Sub at Little Italy in Wallingford.

Reaction Score
The chicken cutlet at Wethersfield Pizza is incredibly good. The give you so much chicken you can easily make two or three grinders out of it.
I forgot about them, they will ship to florida for an extra charge, my second favorite after franklin giant.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The best sub in New haven used to be at Forbes Market. Line would form out the door

For a hot dog, fried clams experience, Jimmy's of Savin Rock (pre-franchise) in West Haven was amazing. It wasn't just food, it was an event. I think you have to be on the north side of 55 to remember it.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Jeez. That is like the 5th great review on that place I've seen. My office in Centerbrook is exactly one mile from there. (and I also do the IT and ticketing system for Ivoryton Playhouse in my "spare" time which is pretty much across the street) I have not been there yet! Might take family there tomorrow night since I don't have a gig until Toads on Saturday. Love the southern cooking!

Hey A-West...Norm is my boss. If you don't get to the Cookery, I have been twice and leave happy. Matt, the owner, opened in November. Started out as BYOB and since got permission to serve liquor tho I think he is just doing beer and wine. Could be wrong. If you don't get there I need to try the chicken so PM me. We'll meet up.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Anybody ever try The Place, outdoor fire-pits, in Guilford? Heard it's a local treasure. Unique.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Dove said:
Hey A-West...Norm is my boss. If you don't get to the Cookery, I have been twice and leave happy. Matt, the owner, opened in November. Started out as BYOB and since got permission to serve liquor tho I think he is just doing beer and wine. Could be wrong. If you don't get there I need to try the chicken so PM me. We'll meet up.

Norm is my boss too ( if you are speaking aboutthe first selectman :) Only one guy in Essex who can go by just a first name. I work for his private company ( IT)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Anybody ever try The Place, outdoor fire-pits, in Guilford? Heard it's a local treasure. Unique.
We used to go a few times a season as a summer ritual when we lived in New Haven, and even after moving to the shoreline we still went every now and again. Now we go maybe once a summer, if that.

The food is very good and the atmosphere is fun and very rustic, to put it mildly. You sit on tree stumps, it's BYOB and bug spray is often required. IMO is a good deal more expensive than it should be, and when you're fighting off bugs, sitting on a hard stump, and looking at a Walmart across Route 1 traffic, it can become a lot less of a treasure and seem more like a tourist trap.

That said, with the right attitude and the right people, it can be a blast, and the fire roasting does a good job of imparting a unique taste. The BBQ roasted littleneck clams are a must--very addictive and very fresh. The roasted corn and roasted 1 1/2 pound lobster round out my order. I get the same thing every time because it's what I think they do best, but they have steak and chicken, too, and both are very good. Again, none of it is cheap though.

Reaction Score
GemParty said:

We've been a few times. Great spot but the food isn't anything to write home about. Not that it's bad -- they do what they do really well -- but it's nothing you couldn't do at home. Its just like having a big cookout. It's good for a large group where you byob and socialize.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Anything at Tikkaway Grill in New Haven -- not a usual "dish" but more of a take-out place like Chipotle but for Indian. THIS PLACE IS AMAZING.

I like Tikkaway and think it's a great concept. I haven't eaten there enough yet (only twice) to nominate it to the great restaurant dish list, but the Mulligatawny I had on my first visit was excellent.

Today I was reminded of one of my favorites across the street from Tikkaway, at Mediterranea. Although the place is most famous for its evening hookah business, and most of the lunch crowd seems to get their pizza slices, my favorite dish is their Foul Muddamas, a very simple, flavorful and filling dish comprised of fava beans, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice. I go there just for that, at least twice a month.

Reaction Score
Chicken Parm at Abate's on Wooster Street was the best chicken parm I've ever had. I went on a chicken parm kick for about two years trying to find the best in CT.

Spicy Rice at El Sombereo's in Southington. My town, love that place. Put anything on top of spicy rice and it's the best dish they have.
Chicken Parm at Lo Monico's in Branford is stellar… Pounded very thin (always a must) & a delicious sauce… Great side salad (also a must)… Many other great italian dished there, as well

Reaction Score
After ll this marginal food chat, we need a thread describing the crappers in these restaurants. Some of them are shall we say primitive. That's something worthwhile to hilite!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
After all this marginal food chat, we need a thread describing the crappers in these restaurants. Some of them are shall we say primitive. That's something worthwhile to hilite!
Lord help any guy who needs to use the crapper at Eli Cannon's.

Reaction Score
The paella at Costa del Sol, south end of Hartford.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
The paella at Costa del Sol, south end of Hartford.
I had it on a Valentine's Day evening in 1995. I still think of that dish to this day. The other dish, not so much.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Luxury! Any old-timers remember Rapp's?
Yep. That's what became Oscar's, right?

Eli's is fine for ol' no. 1, but the throne is disgusting and right in the open with no stall or divider of any kind, and most times the door doesn't lock.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
sledog said:
After ll this marginal food chat, we need a thread describing the crappers in these restaurants. Some of them are shall we say primitive. That's something worthwhile to hilite!

That's so funny because the former drummer in my band has rated every restaurant and bar crapper in the state on a 1-10 scale. Seriously. We did not return to certain places because he didn't like the toilet.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
GemParty said:

Haven't been since the late 80s - early 90s.

Reaction Score
That's so funny because the former drummer in my band has rated every restaurant and bar crapper in the state on a 1-10 scale. Seriously. We did not return to certain places because he didn't like the toilet.

I was fortunate enough to play CBGBs a couple of times. That bathroom was legendary for its awfulness.

Reaction Score
I hung out at CBGB's in the 70's and yeah that bathroom was something else.
cbgb2.jpg

Reaction Score
If people like Chicken Parm you need to try Figaro's in Enfield……..it's been a while but it was a solid dish for a long while. Excellent sauce, beat down breasts with a crispiness to die for……..:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom