OT: Great Restaurant Dishes Throughout CT | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Great Restaurant Dishes Throughout CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Jeez. That is like the 5th great review on that place I've seen. My office in Centerbrook is exactly one mile from there. (and I also do the IT and ticketing system for Ivoryton Playhouse in my "spare" time which is pretty much across the street) I have not been there yet! Might take family there tomorrow night since I don't have a gig until Toads on Saturday. Love the southern cooking!

A few notes:
  • It is BYOB, but they are trying to get their permit, so get there while you can if you are as big a BYOB fan as we are.
  • We love New Orleans food. This is not. But it is very good.
  • They take reservations for six or more.
  • We have been there twice now and have had most things on the menu, except for the gumbo because we'd read less-than-flattering reviews about it. Everything we have had has been good to very good, but the fried green tomatoes and fried chicken were the dishes that stood out.
  • Get the root vegetable puree as your side. It is excellent with pretty much everything.
  • The people who own it and work there are very cool and provide a very relaxed, comfortable setting. I collect Jazz Fest posters and have several in common with the ones they have on their walls.
  • Blueberries Foster (they also have Bananas Foster) is not lit tableside (damn laws) and will not make you forget Brennan's, but it is a very nice way to end the meal.
PS: I saw that Toad's gig when I looked to see what you had coming up. Can't make it unfortunately as we have a graduation party to attend in Old Saybrook.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Hangar Steak with Broccoli Rabe at Sorella's in Hartford
Chicken Tikka Masala at Haveli's in Middletown
Everything at Lalibela in New Haven

Reaction Score
Fatty Melt at Max Burger in West Hartford Center. Each 'bun' is a grilled cheese sandwich with a great bacon burger inside. Wow.

Anything at Flemings in West Hartford Center. The steaks are off the charts.

Anything at Blackie's Pub and Restaurant on Route 119 in Smithfield, RI. The meatloaf sandwich they have is greatest sandwich I have ever had.

Reaction Score
Fatty Melt at Max Burger in West Hartford Center. Each 'bun' is a grilled cheese sandwich with a great bacon burger inside. Wow.

Anything at Flemings in West Hartford Center. The steaks are off the charts.

Anything at Blackie's Pub and Restaurant on Route 119 in Smithfield, RI. The meatloaf sandwich they have is greatest sandwich I have ever had.

Speaking of Flemings.....we went to a Derby fundraiser party at a friend's place last weekend. He had Chef Strano from Flemings grilling some unreal house blend burgers & marinated chicken breasts. The toppings were first rate also...relishes, braised mushrooms. One of the best burgers I've ever had and right in a backyard in Hartford's west end.

Reaction Score
My Pop's is from that area too (Penfield / Ontario) every time we'd drive up there to visit family growing up - first stop was Bill Gray's, almost certainly that same one in Irondequoit... Burgers are on another level, and the white hot dogs are on point!

My wife is from Avon (20 minutes south on 390) but I've never been to Bill Gray's ... but I have been to Tom Wahl's! No vote for the Garbage Plate at Nick Tahoe's??? :)

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Not including pizza, burgers, wings or BBQ (all covered in other threads); and in addition to the lobster roll at Lobster Landing in Clinton and the RI Clam Chowder and fried scallop roll at Johnny Ad's in Old Saybrook I mentioned above:

Duck Confit at Union League in New Haven
Curry Mussels at Bentara in New Haven
Lamb Chops at Thali in New Haven
Pappardelle al Ragu at L'Orcio in New Haven
John Dory at Adriana's in New Haven
Angel Hair with Swordfish and Puttanesca Sauce; Calamari Steak at Portofino in New Haven
Shaved Brussels Sprouts with truffles and risotto cake, Bistro Mediterranean in East Haven
Chicken-Artichoke Lasagna from Pasta Vita in Old Saybrook
Pane Cotto at Ralph-n-Rich's in Bridgeport
Macheroni alla Campania (Sunday red sauce w/meatball, sausage & beef braciola with rigatoni) at Campania in Branford
Pennywort salad; Roast Duck Curry; Salmon with Panang Curry; Terrace Curry with Beef at The Terrace in Hamden
Fried Green Tomatoes; Buttermilk Fried Chicken at Blue Hound Cookery in Ivoryton

I want to party with this guy!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
YEP. My parents' house is about 5 minutes from the Shady Glenn in Manchester (I feel like there are two?), and I used to go there all the time in high school.

I went there for the first time a few years ago and found absolutely nothing notable about the burger. It's a cool place to go for the history, but it's nothing special. My dad is from upstate NY (Rochester), and the best burger I've ever had is from Bill Gray's in Irondequoit. Man alive, was that delicious.

To be honest it has been a very long time since I've eaten there. Sorry to hear it is unexceptional. It used to be an eye opening, mouth watering experience. And they refused to let people use ketchup back then too

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Forgot to mention that one. Good catch..
Honestly its my favorite place to dine. Everything is awesome. Homemade desserts too. I want schnitzel right now..

Reaction Score
Lasagna at Marios Place in Westport. Been getting it for 40 years and always great.

Reaction Score
With all the good food in CT. you guys would starve here in S.W. Fl. I was brought up on franklin giant grinder in s. hartford , or First and last tavern or Carbone's in wethersfield. When the best meatball subs are from Subway you are in big trouble .lol I tried to order a reuben from a place called Jason's deli, ( a local chain, about 30 locations,). What I got was sliced cold corned beef, lettuce, tomato,mayo, am cheese on a grinder roll and that was after I asked if they knew how to make one, their response was of coarse we do , after all we are a DELI.

Reaction Score
I've actually bought 12 to 15 subs from Franklin giant for $300, froze them, put them in a carry on and took them home with me . I usually have 8 yo 10 family members waiting for me (their waiting for the subs) when I get back from CT.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Franklin Giants Meatball & oven baked Chicken Cutlet are my two favorite grinders in CT.

Mine is the Capacola at Italian Kitchen in Manchester. I was a bit worried when I heard that the original owner retired, but the new owner made the transition as well as KO made his.

Reaction Score
Lamb meatballs at Gusto in Milford. The San marzano tomatoes in the sauce make the dish.

Also love the lobster roll at Glenwood in Hamden.

Reaction Score
My absolute favorite dish is Frutti Di Mare. Any time it's on the menu I order it. The best one by far is served at Testo's down in Bridgeport. They have a great sauce and I have them make it Fra diavolo. This dish can literally feed 3 grown men. It's great the next day.

Testo's has always been my favorite!

Reaction Score
YEP. My parents' house is about 5 minutes from the Shady Glenn in Manchester (I feel like there are two?), and I used to go there all the time in high school.

I went there for the first time a few years ago and found absolutely nothing notable about the burger. It's a cool place to go for the history, but it's nothing special. My dad is from upstate NY (Rochester), and the best burger I've ever had is from Bill Gray's in Irondequoit. Man alive, was that delicious.
I'm from Rochester and Bill Gray's is good. What's even better is the burger at Orbaker's right down Rt. 104 in Sodus.

I agree on Louis' burgers. Supposedly invented there, though that's up for debate, and ridiculously overrated.

Reaction Score
I went there for the first time a few years ago and found absolutely nothing notable about the burger. It's a cool place to go for the history, but it's nothing special. My dad is from upstate NY (Rochester), and the best burger I've ever had is from Bill Gray's in Irondequoit. Man alive, was that delicious.[/quote]

Yeah I didn't think Louis' lunch was any big deal either

Reaction Score
I'm going with the Hot and Spicy Chicken from Saigon Kitchen in downtown Hartford.

It's a different sauce than a General Tso's. It's a dumpy little place. It's cheap. But there's a line out the door and 9 out of 10 people in line are getting it. Used to destroy an order a couple times a week when I worked downtown.

Reaction Score
I admit I'm a bit of a New Haven foodie so that's where I'll concentrate but I have a few others...

Shredded duck quesadillas at Pacifico in New Haven
Any burger at Prime 16 in New Haven or Orange
Anything at Caseus in New Haven -- especially their daily specials
The ridiculously huge nachos at Willimantic Brewing Company (the one thing I miss about living in northeastern CT)
Pulled pork nachos at Eli Cannon's in Middletown
Any mole dish at Mezcal in New Haven
Others have mentioned it, but I agree with the chicken tikkala marsala at Haveli in Middletown
Chicken (or anything) rendant at Bentara in New Haven
Anything at Cora Cora in Hartford -- really good Peruvian food
The sampler at Tata's in Wallingford - Amazing Puerto Rican sampler
Anything at Tikkaway Grill in New Haven -- not a usual "dish" but more of a take-out place like Chipotle but for Indian. THIS PLACE IS AMAZING.
Imperial Haddock at Burton's Grill in South Windsor
Shrimp vindaloo at India Palace in New Haven -- though it will melt your face off
Lamb chops at Adriana's in New haven

I think that's about all I have right now.

Reaction Score
I admit I'm a bit of a New Haven foodie so that's where I'll concentrate but I have a few others...

Shredded duck quesadillas at Pacifico in New Haven
Any burger at Prime 16 in New Haven or Orange
Anything at Caseus in New Haven -- especially their daily specials
The ridiculously huge nachos at Willimantic Brewing Company (the one thing I miss about living in northeastern CT)
Pulled pork nachos at Eli Cannon's in Middletown
Any mole dish at Mezcal in New Haven
Others have mentioned it, but I agree with the chicken tikkala marsala at Haveli in Middletown
Chicken (or anything) rendant at Bentara in New Haven
Anything at Cora Cora in Hartford -- really good Peruvian food
The sampler at Tata's in Wallingford - Amazing Puerto Rican sampler
Anything at Tikkaway Grill in New Haven -- not a usual "dish" but more of a take-out place like Chipotle but for Indian. THIS PLACE IS AMAZING.
Imperial Haddock at Burton's Grill in South Windsor
Shrimp vindaloo at India Palace in New Haven -- though it will melt your face off
Lamb chops at Adriana's in New haven

I think that's about all I have right now.

New Haven is just a fantastic small city from a culinary standpoint.

Reaction Score
I'm going with the Hot and Spicy Chicken from Saigon Kitchen in downtown Hartford.

It's a different sauce than a General Tso's. It's a dumpy little place. It's cheap. But there's a line out the door and 9 out of 10 people in line are getting it. Used to destroy an order a couple times a week when I worked downtown.
Oh, that reminds me...the gyro platter from the Turkish place next door to Saigon Kitchen is fantastic...and cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom