OT: Great Restaurant Dishes Throughout CT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Great Restaurant Dishes Throughout CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Eggplant at Mattei's Deli in Derby was mind blowingly good. I dont really like eggplant but I had to go back later in the week after having it the first time at a party. It was amazing.

Reaction Score
The Eggplant at Mattei's Deli in Derby was mind blowingly good. I dont really like eggplant but I had to go back later in the week after having it the first time at a party. It was amazing.
Had it many time ,not as good a my moms,but she was the best cook in the world.
Roselands Chichen parm,or the cavitelli and broccoli at the old Italian pavilion.
Also the Italian bread at Roselands should be in some sort of hall of fame.
now you understand why I weigh 70lbs less than my Ct days.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Fried fish and scallop rolls at City Fish in Manchester and Sea Swirl in Mystic.

Pork Banh Mi sandwich at Hearty Kitchen in West Hartford.

Fish tacos at Bartaco.

Fried green tomatoes and jambalaya at Blue Hound Cookery in Ivoryton.

Reaction Score
Linguini with clams, mussels, and king crab at Leon's in New Haven. Scungilli calzone at Tony and Lucille's. Lobster at Abbott's in Noank.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I'm a fan of the lobster & butter rolls @ Lobster Landing. It's a shack right on the water. Another is fried scallops @ Lenny & Joes Clinton.

Reaction Score
Capital Lunch in NB for Hot Dogs. Haven't been there in 20 years but still remember! It's still open I believe.

Reaction Score
CT Post best burger joints listing: linky

Plan B Burger does it for me.

Any publication listing Shake Shack as one of the best burgers in the state should immediately cease publication. Garbage, small burger at a high cost. Seriously you are better off at Jake's Wayback, which is also garbage.

Somebody else mentioned the Nordic Lodge. That was a great place to go when I was in college in the 90's. Cheap and all you can eat steaks and lobster tails. The quality was less than desirable, but you have to remember that Natural Lites ruled the day beer wise as well. Just to put it in perspective.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
...Best burger you will ever eat and national landmark: Louis' Lunch in New Haven
Any place that serves me potato salad (which I'm not partial to in the first place) in a Styrofoam cup has zero right to tell me I can't put ketchup on my burger. For the price, I'd rather go to Plan B, to be perfectly honest.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not including pizza, burgers, wings or BBQ (all covered in other threads); and in addition to the lobster roll at Lobster Landing in Clinton and the RI Clam Chowder and fried scallop roll at Johnny Ad's in Old Saybrook I mentioned above:

Duck Confit at Union League in New Haven
Curry Mussels at Bentara in New Haven
Lamb Chops at Thali in New Haven
Pappardelle al Ragu at L'Orcio in New Haven
John Dory at Adriana's in New Haven
Angel Hair with Swordfish and Puttanesca Sauce; Calamari Steak at Portofino in New Haven
Shaved Brussels Sprouts with truffles and risotto cake, Bistro Mediterranean in East Haven
Chicken-Artichoke Lasagna from Pasta Vita in Old Saybrook
Pane Cotto at Ralph-n-Rich's in Bridgeport
Macheroni alla Campania (Sunday red sauce w/meatball, sausage & beef braciola with rigatoni) at Campania in Branford
Pennywort salad; Roast Duck Curry; Salmon with Panang Curry; Terrace Curry with Beef at The Terrace in Hamden
Fried Green Tomatoes; Buttermilk Fried Chicken at Blue Hound Cookery in Ivoryton

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Anything from Suso's Latino Basket in Manchester... Truly my favorite restaurant in the area.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anything from Suso's Latino Basket in Manchester... Truly my favorite restaurant in the area.

Really? Been meaning to visit, can't you give us your top 2 or 3?

Reaction Score
Shady Glenn burgers with the fried cheese

YEP. My parents' house is about 5 minutes from the Shady Glenn in Manchester (I feel like there are two?), and I used to go there all the time in high school.

Best burger you will ever eat and national landmark: Louis' Lunch in New Haven

I went there for the first time a few years ago and found absolutely nothing notable about the burger. It's a cool place to go for the history, but it's nothing special. My dad is from upstate NY (Rochester), and the best burger I've ever had is from Bill Gray's in Irondequoit. Man alive, was that delicious.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Fried Green Tomatoes; Buttermilk Fried Chicken at Blue Hound Cookery in Ivoryton

Jeez. That is like the 5th great review on that place I've seen. My office in Centerbrook is exactly one mile from there. (and I also do the IT and ticketing system for Ivoryton Playhouse in my "spare" time which is pretty much across the street) I have not been there yet! Might take family there tomorrow night since I don't have a gig until Toads on Saturday. Love the southern cooking!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Really? Been meaning to visit, can't you give us your top 2 or 3?
Sorry to gush about Suso's, but since you asked...

I've enjoyed nearly the entire menu, but standouts include the papas bravas, shrimp mofongo, paella, pernil, and short ribs. We love that it's BYOB. We almost always have leftovers, the prices are very reasonable, folks are nice... Just love it!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I went there for the first time a few years ago and found absolutely nothing notable about the burger. It's a cool place to go for the history, but it's nothing special.

Yes, the burger itself is nothing special. In fact, when they overcook it like they did to me last weekend, it's lousy. But I still love the ritual of it with the cheese and the shake and all. It's truly a throw back, the 5 (and a half) year old I was with noted, "Hey, all the ladies take the orders and all the men are the cooks."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, the burger itself is nothing special. In fact, when they overcook it like they did to me last weekend, it's lousy. But I still love the ritual of it all with the cheese and the shake and all. It's truly a throw back, the 5 (and a half) year old I was with noted, "Hey, all the ladies take the orders and all the men are the cooks."

Oh, I definitely agree that it's a neat place to go, but I have a problem with calling it the best burger ever.

Reaction Score
Chicken Casa loma at de novelli's on the Silas Dean in rocky hill. Used to go there all the time when I lived there and still drive from west hartford for it once a month or so.

It's bone in chicken thighs simmered in hot cherry peppers, whole cloves of garlic and a balsamic based sauce. I've tried to do it at home, can't come close.
I used to get this dish at Casa Loma in Hartford and always enjoyed it. I will have to go to De Novelli's and try it since Casa Loma's been closed for years now.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If anyone is a fan of schnitzel, Watch Factory Restaurant has the best in CT.

Reaction Score
YEP. My parents' house is about 5 minutes from the Shady Glenn in Manchester (I feel like there are two?), and I used to go there all the time in high school.

I went there for the first time a few years ago and found absolutely nothing notable about the burger. It's a cool place to go for the history, but it's nothing special. My dad is from upstate NY (Rochester), and the best burger I've ever had is from Bill Gray's in Irondequoit. Man alive, was that delicious.

My Pop's is from that area too (Penfield / Ontario) every time we'd drive up there to visit family growing up - first stop was Bill Gray's, almost certainly that same one in Irondequoit... Burgers are on another level, and the white hot dogs are on point!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom