OT: Great Restaurant Dishes Throughout CT | The Boneyard

OT: Great Restaurant Dishes Throughout CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Now that we have beaten the pizza thread to death, I figured I would start a new thread that lists fantastic dishes you have had throughout CT. I travel all over the state for business, so the info. will be useful to me. I will start with a few that I have had recently that were outstanding:

Armando's in Bethel. Fantastic Veal Parmigian.
The Main Pub in Manchester. The Pub Cuban sandwich is unbelievably good.

Looking forward to seeing what you have all found that is superb. Thanks in advance.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Excellent idea. My current favorites include:

Agave Grille, Hartford - BBQ Pork Tacos I never get anything else when I go, except for the occaisional fish taco. It was just named best taco in CT by Food Network. In fact, their picture is on the front page of the site.
Hot Basil, West Hartford - Hot Basil You gotta figure that the dish it's named after is good, and it is. My favorite Thai place.
Hana Sushi, Manchester - I love their Volcano Roll

Reaction Score
Hot Basil, West Hartford - Hot Basil You gotta figure that the dish it's named after is good, and it is. My favorite Thai place.

Really? I prefer East/West Grille across the street much, much more than Hot Basil. Have you tried there?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Really? I prefer East/West Grille across the street much, much more than Hot Basil. Have you tried there?

Yeah, it's a good place no doubt. But nothing there hits me like the hot basil across the street.

Reaction Score
Bricco's in West Hartford has a cedar plank salmon that is absolutely incredible. Can't force myself to order anything else when we go there.

Reaction Score
If you like sushi, Miso in New Haven is a must. Their Bulldog Roll is just ridiculously good.

Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of mussels, If it's on the menu I'm getting them and sometimes Max Fish has cocunut thai mussels that are my favorite. If you know a place that serves great ones let me know. Great thread.

Reaction Score
I am a fried fish fanatic:

Clam Castle - Madison (cafeteria style w/tray)
Westfair Fish and Chips - Westport

Would love to know other places, doesn't have to be fancy as you can see.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
York St Noodle House- New Haven.
Coconut Curry soup with tofu ( choose your noodle) - 6 bucks youre stuffed but feel great.

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
The hot lobster roll at Bill's in Westbrook. Flat out awesome.

Funny, I was just about to post that. It's not the biggest lobster roll and its comparatively expensive, but yeah, as a shoreline resident who has had them all, and as someone who gets easily irked by Bill's during tourist season, I have to say they are the best Lobster rolls Ive had.

Also, another touristy place that actually still gets it right is Fish Tale. Their whole belly clams are the best whole bellies Ive had.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Funny, I was just about to post that. It's not the biggest lobster roll and its comparatively expensive, but yeah, as a shoreline resident who has had them all, and as someone who gets easily irked by Bill's during tourist season, I have to say they are the best Lobster rolls Ive had.

Also, another touristy place that actually still gets it right is Fish Tale. Their whole belly clams are the best whole bellies Ive had.
Are you talking about the Madison Lenny and Joes? That's our go-to place for da whole bellies.

Reaction Score
Chicken Parm at Abate's on Wooster Street was the best chicken parm I've ever had. I went on a chicken parm kick for about two years trying to find the best in CT.

Spicy Rice at El Sombereo's in Southington. My town, love that place. Put anything on top of spicy rice and it's the best dish they have.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The hot lobster roll at Bill's in Westbrook. Flat out awesome.
Great thread and I'll post later with some other dishes, but as something of a lobster roll fanatic I gotta say that I think Lobster Landing in Clinton is the best. I use almost the exact same description August gives for Bill's in describing the one at Lobster Landing. We used to live in Westbrook and frequented Bill's then, but I probably haven't been there in at least five years so I may need a more recent comparison; I'm sticking with Lobster Landing until then. And my runner-up is Johnny Ad's lobster roll. They also are my favorite chowder (I am a Rhode Island clam chowder guy, and they make it perfectly) and my favorite fried scallops. We hit Lenny & Joe's more frequently because it's closer and more convenient, and the kids still dig the carousel. They are still good and consistent on all fronts, but I like the others a notch better for most items.

Been meaning to try the lobster roll at Liv's in Old Saybrook. Ordered it a few weeks ago and they had just run out. I'll bet theirs is good, as pretty much every thing I've had there has been.

Reaction Score
Pappardelle Al Ragu at L'Orcio on State Street in New Haven
The duck nachos at Zinc in New Haven. If they have the lamb sausage special, then that too.
Just about anything at Union League Cafe
The bouillabaisse or Rigatoni Carbonera at Heirloom

Pan roasted monkfish, w/ Israeli cous cous salad, almonds, parsley and lemon, grapefruit segments and chilled cucumber chili broth at Oyster Club in Mystic.

Bone-in rib eye at David Burke Steakhouse at Foxwoods

Adult mac and cheese at Good News Cafe in Woodbury

Stuffed French Toast at Prime Time Cafe in Pawcatuck

Duck breast with grits and rhubarb at Millwright's in Simsbury

Mushroom and goat cheese at Barcelona

Of course, these all suck, since someone told me that all the restaurants in CT are terrible . . .

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Pan roasted monkfish, w/ Israeli cous cous salad, almonds, parsley and lemon, grapefruit segments and chilled cucumber chili broth at Oyster Club in Mystic.

Nice list but this one sounds especially good.

I remember when you could get monkfish at the supermarket for $1.99 a pound.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Are you talking about the Madison Lenny and Joes? That's our go-to place for da whole bellies.
Both Madison and Westbrook. they do 'em up the same at both. I might give a slight nod to Madison just for the quantity they are firing through daily in the summer, but If someone blindfolded me and handed me a plate from both locations, I dont think I couuld tell the difference.

Whole bellies are definitely fun to watch out of towners eat for the first time. Most of them want to vomit afterwards. Once you acquire a taste for them though, there is no going back to clam strips.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
There are lots of good Italian places in and around New Haven, but a little place in Branford is very good and a relative bargain. Lo Monaco's.

For fried clams etc.the best around here was Cap'n Nicks which is no more. A spin-off of that is Sam's Dockside in Branford. Also very good for fried seafood is the Sandpiper in East Haven.

Best burger you will ever eat and national landmark: Louis' Lunch in New Haven

Reaction Score
My absolute favorite dish is Frutti Di Mare. Any time it's on the menu I order it. The best one by far is served at Testo's down in Bridgeport. They have a great sauce and I have them make it Fra diavolo. This dish can literally feed 3 grown men. It's great the next day.

Reaction Score
I'm partial to the duck dinner at the Steak Loft in Mystic.

Reaction Score
Number 9 sub at D'Angelo's in Southington. I kid, I kid. It's good though.

Filet at Morton's Steakhouse with a dab or Bernaise sauce and some creamed spinach....Nice.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I'm curious has anybody ventured out lately to the Nordic Lodge (Custy's) they charge a mint. Is it really worth it?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Chicken Casa loma at de novelli's on the Silas Dean in rocky hill. Used to go there all the time when I lived there and still drive from west hartford for it once a month or so.

It's bone in chicken thighs simmered in hot cherry peppers, whole cloves of garlic and a balsamic based sauce. I've tried to do it at home, can't come close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom