OT - Gout, whats your opinion on it? | The Boneyard

OT - Gout, whats your opinion on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
any expeiences, any cures, remedies?

what to eat, drink etc. or NOT to eat, drink, etc.?

Reaction Score
Don't
Red meat, organ meats
Alcohol, especially beer
Fructose sweetened drinks
Do
More fluids mainly water
Exercise
Lose weight if necessary

When in doubt, see a doctor.

Reaction Score
Minimum shell fish, minimum alcohol, take krill oil vitamin and bromelain vitamin.
In case of a small attack take 2 tylenols. Didn't have an attack over a year. Good luck!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Minimum shell fish, minimum alcohol, take krill oil vitamin and bromelain vitamin.
In case of a small attack take 2 tylenols. Didn't have an attack over a year. Good luck!
I hear the attacks are painful...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yes they are. Although it can manifest itself in any joint it most likely strike first in a big toe.
I'm happy to get you out of your lurking mode...

Reaction Score
first, be very sure it's gout and not tendinitis or arthritis, which are treated differently. I had a big-time rheumatologist misdiagnose me for gout (the tests came back ambiguous), and it took a number of years for me to get the right diagnosis and effective treatment. I have a friend who had the exact same experience with a different rheumatologist.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I doubt you are susceptible. It is, after all, referred to as the "rich man's disease.":rolleyes:

P.S. I've had it. Hurts like hell. Go easy on booze and beef -- moderation! Acquire a strong taste for grapefruit juice. Take care. And good luck.;)

Reaction Score
GOUT ATTACK, first is diet (google gout diet), second NSAID (like advil) if big toe is red, inflamed and very sore and you get no result with diet and NSAIDs, see a doctor.
There are effective drugs for gout, colchicine for acute attacks and allopurinol for long term therapy.
see website Gout Treatment I hand gout many years ago, after resolution never has come back. Good Luck

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
GOUT ATTACK, first is diet (google gout diet), second NSAID (like advil) if big toe is red, inflamed and very sore and you get no result with diet and NSAIDs, see a doctor.
There are effective drugs for gout, colchicine for acute attacks and allopurinol for long term therapy.
see website Gout Treatment I hand gout many years ago, after resolution never has come back. Good Luck

Body produces too much uric acid and that produces gout. Big toe hurts like hell to the point where walking is extremely painful. My doctor prescribed a daily dose of 150 mg allopurinol, a miracle drug for me, several years ago and I've not had an attack since. Home remedies may work to a certain degree but why suffer needlessly?

Reaction Score

Skip alluporinal and ask dock for Uloric. Much safer for your organs in the long run. No one makes Colchirine any more so I was prescribed Indiomethacine and it worked wonders. Alcohol and meats and fish high in purines are the leading causes of gout. Purines crystalize into little shards of glass if your body cannot get rid of them on its own. These shard deposit in any extremity joint weakend or distal joint. Think big toe, fingers, ankles etc. Usually effects men between the ages of 50 and say 60 years old. All kinds of info online. I had it for many years but it is and has been dormant for 3 years. I am just turning 60. It is so painful that at times I could not walk or put a shoe on. went all the way to my ankles and knees at times. Also affected my middle finger joint. Good luck. I would not wish gout on my worst enemie.

Reaction Score

It sucks. Gout diet didn't work for me. On medication. I hate it. Directly led to sesamoiditis under my right big toe.

Reaction Score
Skip alluporinal and ask dock for Uloric. Much safer for your organs in the long run. No one makes Colchirine any more so I was prescribed Indiomethacine and it worked wonders. Alcohol and meats and fish high in purines are the leading causes of gout. Purines crystalize into little shards of glass if your body cannot get rid of them on its own. These shard deposit in any extremity joint weakend or distal joint. Think big toe, fingers, ankles etc. Usually effects men between the ages of 50 and say 60 years old. All kinds of info online. I had it for many years but it is and has been dormant for 3 years. I am just turning 60. It is so painful that at times I could not walk or put a shoe on. went all the way to my ankles and knees at times. Also affected my middle finger joint. Good luck. I would not wish gout on my worst enemie.
Uloric is safer? I'm on allopurinol.

Reaction Score
It's painful, to be sure, but the good news is how readily it can be controlled pharmacologically. Dietary guidelines, in my experience and opinion, tend to be overrated. Allopurinol works like a charm for most people. Best advice is to begin by seeing a rheumatologist to get titrated for ideal dosage. I also recommend that you adopt a somewhat smug attitude about the fact that you contracted a disease from living too well!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Like others have said, go to the doctor and get some Indiomethacine. Gone in a couple of days and haven't had another bout in a years. Don't listen to anyone who has never had an attack, they are just concern trolls.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Rule #1 - Do not visit a college basketball message board for medical advice.

Rule #2 - Do not schedule an appointment with a medical professional to discuss college basketball.

It's best to keep the two separate.

Got a question about gout? Call a doctor.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Body produces too much uric acid and that produces gout. Big toe hurts like hell to the point where walking is extremely painful. My doctor prescribed a daily dose of 150 mg allopurinol, a miracle drug for me, several years ago and I've not had an attack since. Home remedies may work to a certain degree but why suffer needlessly?
some people do not believe in medications

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

Rule #2 - Do not schedule an appointment with a medical professional to discuss college basketball.

thanks for the disclaimer to avoid litigation down the road :D

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It's painful, to be sure, but the good news is how readily it can be controlled pharmacologically. Dietary guidelines, in my experience and opinion, tend to be overrated. Allopurinol works like a charm for most people. Best advice is to begin by seeing a rheumatologist to get titrated for ideal dosage. I also recommend that you adopt a somewhat smug attitude about the fact that you contracted a disease from living too well!
living too well... ask Kib said "rich man's disease" seemed to be fact until a few broke men got it.

I guess eating fish seems to make people think theyre rich

temery

What?
Reaction Score
My doctor went to Duke. For some reason he never wants to talk college basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom