OT - Gout, whats your opinion on it? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Gout, whats your opinion on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My father had it. He has to stay away from anything acidic- tomatos, orange juice, beer etc. As long he does that, he's OK.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Easiest first step is water, a lot of it. You may find significant relief with just that.

Disclaimer: CL82 is not a doctor, He just has an opinion on, well, on pretty much anything. CL82 strongly recommends that you seek medical from a competent professional. By reading a CL82 post you acknowledge that 1) you are aware of his lack of medical competancy, 2) you have read this disclaimer, any 3) actions you take will be discussed with competent medical professional. If you have any further questions, please contact us at CL82@CL82Enterprises,LLC.com.

Reaction Score
I am both a gout suffer and get an occasional kidney stone. They are related because both can be formed from uric acid. Much of what was said and recommended above is true. Allopurinol for daily treatment and Indiomethacine for the attacks, which knocks it right out. Gout is nothing compared to a kidney stone, when the nurse walked in and told me she has had both a kidney stone and a baby and she would prefer the a babies birth I said shot me up and she did. Both are caused by crystallization of uric acid although stones can be formed by several minerals other than uric acid. The best cure I was offered was drink a lot of water.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
My father had it. He has to stay away from anything acidic- tomatos, orange juice, beer etc. As long he does that, he's OK.
I hear it can be passed down

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Yep. I've had gout and kidney stones. You'd think pain from gout couldn't be worse, until a kidney stone.

As CL82 said ... if your kidneys are in good working order, drink three liters of water a day.

My doctor actually said to drink three liters of diet lemonade a day. The potassium citrate supposedly works to prevent stones from forming. But I couldn't keep drinking that much lemonade. Just water alone worked wonders.

And fishy is right once in a while. See a doctor.

I am both a gout suffer and get an occasional kidney stone. They are related because both can be formed from uric acid. Much of what was said and recommended above is true. Allopurinol for daily treatment and Indiomethacine for the attacks, which knocks it right out. Gout is nothing compared to a kidney stone, when the nurse walked in and told me she has had both a kidney stone and a baby and she would prefer the a babies birth I said shot me up and she did. Both are caused by crystallization of uric acid although stones can be formed by several minerals other than uric acid. The best cure I was offered was drink a lot of water.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Allopurinol twice daily for me. No problems for the last five years on it. Joking aside, much of the advice given here so far is spot on, or at least consistent with WebMD and my own doc.

And yes, a gout attack can put you in the ER for an impromptu visit. Ask me how I know this. Or don't.

Reaction Score
DC, I'm not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once. I was prescribed Allopurinol based solely on a blood test showing elevated uric acid levels. Never had a gout attack or had big toe problems. I continue to take one pill a day, as prescribed, cause doctors are infallible. Right?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yep. I've had gout and kidney stones. You'd think pain from gout couldn't be worse, until a kidney stone.

A guy at work had chronic kidney stones, said he pretty much had to tough 'em out. "This was my favorite" as he pulled a small vial from his briefcase. It looked like a tiny ninja throwing star. "You passed that!" Yup.

Reaction Score
Lots of great advice above. Quick synopsis of Gout. You wake up with a red hot swollen big toe joint then you are probably experiencing a gout attack.

Organ meats, seafood, beer, greens are purine rich foods and trigger attacks. Plenty of gout (low purine) diets available online.

Medically there are treatments for acute attacks and chronic gout.

Acute attacks are treated with Indomethacin which is a potent NSAID at 150mg a day with food in divided doses. Many folks can not tolerate NSAIDs due to stomach ulcers, kidney concerns or blood thinners. Motrin , Advil, Aleve, Naprosyn are all over- the- counter NSAIDs which should help with an acute attack. Colchicine is still available. It has been rebranded as Colcrys and is taken two tablets followed by a 3rd tablet an hour later and one tablet each day afterwards for 1 week. Old colchicine was taken every couple hours until the gout resolved or until you got sick to your stomach. Both are used frequently to treat acute attacks.

Chronic management of gout is treated with Allopurinol which prevents the formation of uric acid or Probenecid which increases the body's excretion of uric acid. For correct management a 24 hour urine collection/analysis should be performed. However most Doctors just prescribe the Allopurinol which works fine in most cases.

Few other notes of gout information is that blood work(Uric Acid levels) is almost always normal or just slightly elevated when drawn during an acute attack. The levels are elevated prior to the attack and have usually dropped by the time the painful joint/region develops. A gout attack usually last 7-10 days without treatment. If you are having an attack lasting weeks than you are likely experiencing a different problem and need to re-evaluate the diagnosis. True confirmation of gout requires a joint aspiration and examination under polarized light.

Reaction Score
any expeiences, any cures, remedies?

what to eat, drink etc. or NOT to eat, drink, etc.?
Uric acid---shrimp, shell fish, avoid
Painful
Way too many --not so rich men got it--get it--
Drink water --darn near good for everything--lots of it, it's called flushing the system, and flushing you shall .
But I agree with the one that said---don't go to a medical internet board to discuss Basketball--but in Conn it is a good topic to discuss with medical people (WBB)

Never had it don't want it --
In the medical community many treatments have changed, fad medical problems pop up, i.e. nothing is constant--constant medical issues dont' make money..(except the really big ones)

Reaction Score
c c
living too well... ask Kib said "rich man's disease" seemed to be fact until a few broke men got it.

I guess eating fish seems to make people think theyre rich
For centuries really really poor families lived on what they caught. Fish and shell fish is what the very poor et.
So much for a Rich Man's diet.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
140207_2721447_Emily_s_Editorial_Reply_anvver_2.jpg

From the noted source pictured, gout is essential to hold tiles in place and make the wall or floor waterproof.

Oh, never mind! :oops:

Reaction Score
I'm against it, too. You spend all that time laying the tile and then you hav to go back and spread this messy stiff and rub and rub until it comes off the tile and....wait...,.
Never mind.

Reaction Score
any expeiences, any cures, remedies?

what to eat, drink etc. or NOT to eat, drink, etc.?

About three years ago, I began to experience what I was sure must be gout! I would wake up to severe (unbelievable) pain in the fourth toe of my left foot. If my toe even slightly rubbed against something I would feel waves of agony shooting through my toe! I went to he Dr, expecting a gout diagnosis but was told I had a small tumor on a nerve under that toe. I forget the official name for it but was informed that it is very common and can be helped by surgery (most successful), or cortisone shots(less successful). I went with the surgery and it was successful but now I have numbness under my foot that will never go away. Good luck!

Reaction Score
I had my first kidney stone seven years ago - uric acid based - which means I'm sort of half-way to having gout. I passed 5 or 6 more stones in the following two years. In 2012 I decided to go for three months eating foods with no added sugar, and nothing from an animal....I am now a virtual vegan, and have not passed any noticeable stones since 2012. Kidney stones can have a way of redefining pain, and giving strength to make lifestyle changes that might not otherwise be there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I had my first kidney stone seven years ago - uric acid based - which means I'm sort of half-way to having gout. I passed 5 or 6 more stones in the following two years. In 2012 I decided to go for three months eating foods with no added sugar, and nothing from an animal....I am now a virtual vegan, and have not passed any noticeable stones since 2012. Kidney stones can have a way of redefining pain, and giving strength to make lifestyle changes that might not otherwise be there.
Deepster made this jump as well. And if you listen to Dee or Maya, they credit eliminating meat and dairy from diet as a big plus to their health. I'm not sure that I'm ready to make that jump (especially smack dab in the middle of the barbeque season) but I do think about it. I'm going to start by rotating in some vegan meals and see where it goes. If you post any favorite recipes, I'll try them.

Reaction Score
DC, I'm not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once. I was prescribed Allopurinol based solely on a blood test showing elevated uric acid levels. Never had a gout attack or had big toe problems. I continue to take one pill a day, as prescribed, cause doctors are infallible. Right?
I once believed them God like--as in all professions there are a few in the job for only the money--some surgeons--for the most part, local men/women (yes half of my Md's are women, make some mistakes but are usually accurate.

Reaction Score
Deepster made this jump as well. And if you listen to Dee or Maya, they credit eliminating meat and dairy from diet as a big plus to their health. I'm not sure that I'm ready to make that jump (especially smack dab in the middle of the barbeque season) but I do think about it. I'm going to start by rotating in some vegan meals and see where it goes. If you post any favorite recipes, I'll try them.
One of mine is a Vegan and constantly trying to get me to change--I tried--but I like good ethnic foods--. Man began by eating grains, fish and red meat and have survived and excelled for eons

Reaction Score

Like close death experiences (of all kinds) at times creates a change to religion or a more "giving" and caring and kinder life style--or postings. Some have that experience and post many nasty postings and are less giving..

Reaction Score
A guy at work had chronic kidney stones, said he pretty much had to tough 'em out. "This was my favorite" as he pulled a small vial from his briefcase. It looked like a tiny ninja throwing star. "You passed that!" Yup.
My son in law had STONES and had them bombarded with ultrasonic and sonic frequencies to break them up--it was that or his wife using a hammer.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
One of mine is a Vegan and constantly trying to get me to change--I tried--but I like good ethnic foods--. Man began by eating grains, fish and red meat and have survived and excelled for eons

And they walked miles each day to get their food. My guess is I'd be better off walking five miles to get a steak, than stay home and eat a salad.

Reaction Score
And they walked miles each day to get their food. My guess is I'd be better off walking five miles to get a steak, than stay home and eat a salad.
I've walked 4 miles a day for 40 years or more --I eat well--moderate by many standards--I walked because if I didn't I'd put on excessive weight--and most recently to keep my life time knee issue from becoming stiff knees but not at 24 mi per week. My dogs really liked the walks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom